Shin megami Tensei IV, starting out, any comments/advice

Sounds like the DLC is a lot like Awakenings in terms of relevance.

Cha sounds like an interesting stat, I wonder why they removed it.

Pretty much, yeah.

They probably removed charisma in order to streamline things. Who knows?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I read this thread because I skipped over SMTIV in the past, but now I'm wondering if I ought to get it after all... Should I?

For reference, I finished Persona 4 (golden ending and all, though not first time through), got about halfway through P3P and got bored out of my skull with Tartarus, and got part of the way through Digital Devil Saga. My one clear memory of DDS is grinding really hard to beat that bat boss near the start and then getting crushed by the mobs in the very next area. And also never having the money for more demons.

DDS actually got me into the series, but P4 was the first one where I cared about the characters enough and the gameplay itself wasn't so mind-numbingly difficult that I actually finished it.

(Charisma's a stat in DDS, I think, but hell if I can remember what it does.)

I would say likely not. The characters of IV are more spokesmen for ideologies than characters. Though I do suggest going back and replaying DDS, there are ways to increase money (High Luck, Cells dropped by Foes as a result + Sell them at their best price).

Luck is a huge factor in IV's early game, while if you know your SMT mechanics well enough the rest of the game after two bosses is easy.

I notice there's no defensive stat other than HP. How would one go about building a tanky character? Is it impossible or would you have to put a lot of points into Luck? Also Flynn has some elemental weakness (which is kind of huge). That seems a little strange to me. Is it because of the armor I have equipped or does he just have prebuilt weaknesses?

Any build works, except STR because it sucks. Just put points into what fits the best. By the way Dex influences strength of phys and gun moves. Armor determines your elemental resistances.

Also there is a defense stat, but it's not one you can influence except during battle. Buffing your characters boosts that invisible stat so you take less damage, and debuffing foes so they take more.

It seems weird to me there's no standard defense stat. So do all demons take equal damage from attacks, meaning the only way to have a tanky unit is to have a lot of HP? It seems odd, I wonder what the reason for it is.

Best advice I can give is to refrain from getting attached to any demons. SMTIV was my first game in the series, and I'd become fond of the idea of a 'mascot demon' that I keep with me throughout the rest of the game (Nekomata, specifically). Trying to research all the fusion mechanics and determine exactly how to get the best skills and attributes on it to keep it viable completely killed my momentum and I ended up never being able to get back into it.

Pokemon spoiled me.

Oh, I think it's possible to have a "mascot". You'll just need to do a lot of research involving fusion, and dump a bajillion stat boosters in it.

Oh, I think it's possible to have a "mascot". You'll just need to do a lot of research involving fusion, and dump a bajillion stat boosters in it.

This is quite possible. I'm just fortunate I guess my favorite demons outside a few, tend to be on the higher end in terms of level and power.

Cerberus is my favorite demon in the franchise.

Progress update. I didn't intend to play this game as much as I did until I've finished something else but I'm having a lot of fun. I ended up getting through Minotaur really easily due to randomly deciding to level up Bufu a lot, which he's weak to. I'm having more trouble with Medusa now but I've just discovered she's weak to Zan so I'll try and form a team around that. Being able to summon demons in my stock during battle also really helps.

Progress update. I didn't intend to play this game as much as I did until I've finished something else but I'm having a lot of fun. I ended up getting through Minotaur really easily due to randomly deciding to level up Bufu a lot, which he's weak to. I'm having more trouble with Medusa now but I've just discovered she's weak to Zan so I'll try and form a team around that. Being able to summon demons in my stock during battle also really helps.

Nice work on Minotaur. Like props man.

Medusa can be annoying, but now that you know she's weak to the Zan line. It'll probably be easier, just careful with the dialogue :P.

What I always find helpful is having demons with the "knowhow" skills, which allow them to use certain items to make up for their possible lack of a certain ability or skill.

Edited by Jedi

You should keep using Angel for like forever (if you're not using one currently, uh get one?).

Edited by Refa

if you have an angel

do not fuse it away

no matter how tempting it is, keep training it

i promise you, this will end well.

E:

I suppose I should mention this as someone who's beaten all of the superbosses except the hardest DLC - if you have an excuse to carry your 3ds around, building up play coins is pretty clutch. Without getting too specific, there are certain (optional) postgame/endgame bosses that, well, can only be fought via rng. And I don't mean that your chance of winning is luck-based (although it totally is if you're not prepared), you literally cannot encounter them without getting super lucky.

Edited by CT075

Dang. I wish people told me not to fuse away angel earlier. I've had like two of them so far that I've just fused as soon as they were able to whisper skills to me. They just didn't seem that useful given their low HP value.

Dang. I wish people told me not to fuse away angel earlier. I've had like two of them so far that I've just fused as soon as they were able to whisper skills to me. They just didn't seem that useful given their low HP value.

Whoops I mentioned some demons change as they level. I forgot to mention Angel was one.. My bad.

One of them did mention transforming but I didn't think much of it for some reason. I'm just too eager to fuse.

And to be perfectly honest this is a good mindset, but in Angel's case.. eeeee.. Haha

GO BACK TO NARAKU.

GET ANOTHER CENTAUR AND FUXI.

AND KEEP THAT ANGEL BY YOUR SIDE, EVEN IF SHE WON'T LOOK LIKE ONE AFTER A WHILE!

You'll thank me for this later.

GO BACK TO NARAKU.

GET ANOTHER CENTAUR AND FUXI.

AND KEEP THAT ANGEL BY YOUR SIDE, EVEN IF SHE WON'T LOOK LIKE ONE AFTER A WHILE!

You'll thank me for this later.

Listen to eclipse here, it's worth it trust me. I didn't figure it out till my second runthrough, but damn the result.

Everyone is right: Do not fuse Angel.

Of course, I fused my Cherub to get Nebrios, but that's irrelevant.

Angel is one of the demons that will constantly evolve, and it has saved my life during my first playthrough that I completed a few days ago.

Angel goes to Archangel to Power(???) and so on. A really good demon despite being easy to get.

It's on hold for the moment. Like I said in my original post I'm actually playing Final Fantasy Tactics right now. I just happened to start Shin Megami Tensei IV when I have a few train journeys to get through. Which means I'm still on the wait to fight Medusa and training angel. Also happen to be gearing up for the end of my college course so busy all round. I still intend to finish it within the near future though so I'll keep you posted when I resume playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Magic build Flynn is the best build. You can't tell me that a restrictive phys/gun build is any better than the versability and power that the magic build give. Especially in a game where hitting weak points is a core mechanic.

Recruit a Archangel, level it enough and it will evolve, level this evolution enough, and it will evolve again. Etc and etc. I sure got lucky on that one, I didn't even tried to recruit one.

EDIT: Well, yeah, there is the angel too. Ah, I'm too dumb. But still practical.

Edited by B.Leu