About choices in FE14

Rapier

So, the premise says players will be able to choose during the game, and their choices aren't as cosmetic as they were in FE13. How much will we be able to choose? Will it be limited only to choosing a side, or will it also imply drastic changes later on in the story?

I want IS to explore actions-consequences choices like in Dishonored (if Corvo goes around killing everyone the worst way possible like Jack the Ripper, the ending is bad; if he maintains order and kills/neutralizes his targets with not dragging too much attention, the ending is good). In that fashion, I want Kamui to be able to spare or kill the Hoshido/Nohr peers, and depending on what he does among the game, amount to a different ending and/or toward branching chapters. If IS will make two games out of this, then I hope as well that they exploit is as much as they can.

Edited by Rapier

I though about a more SMT-like choices, but eh, it will probably be just a Yes/No choices... A man can only dream.

Dishonored kind of screwed the idea, but in Fire Emblem, this is perfectly possible to do, a lot of chapters resolved around the 'don't kill the enemies'.

Edited by B.Leu

While I would like to have a FE game that is full on visual novel style in terms of having meaningful choices and routes to go down, I don't think the series' first excursion into a choice-based story is going to go too crazy.

Well form the main site. the Japanese official website says this

"The keyword for this new Fire Emblem is “if”. With Hoshido and Nohr as the backdrops, the player must make choices, which will affect the story, battles, recruitable characters, while progressing two very contrasting stories"

the story choices might just be yes or no, but the battles and characters mentions make it most likely our choices will affect the battle field and maybe a route split or two. But hopefully the story changes meaningfully with the choices.

I though about a more SMT-like choices, but eh, it will probably be just a Yes/No choices... A man can only dream.

Dishonored kind of screwed the idea, but in Fire Emblem, this is perfectly possible to do, a lot of chapters resolved around the 'don't kill the enemies'.

I meant choices similar to Dishonored, not just like it. Not killing everyone is an option. Retreating is another. Talking to the boss so they stop the fight is another. Killing everyone is certainly a choice. Depending on what Kamui did, it'd have repercussions in the story. This is kind of what I had in mind.

Since they refer to choices in plural, I suppose there will be important choices that actually matter plot-wise.

Edited by Rapier

I hope the choices are presented organically rather than as a A/B prompt; like in the chapter in (New) Mystery of the Emblem where you can recruit Sheema, the situation is laid out for you and you decide how to approach it. If the effects of your choices leak into dialogue and cause subtle gameplays changes later on, that would be excellent. I don't think we can realistically expect much more than that.

^ read above

That honestly could just be marketing prose, but I remain optimistic. I certainly doubt that IS based the entire game's theme, 'if', on one choice not even presented within the game.

^ yes it could be prose and it is a translation but if those are the words they used i seriously doubt they would implicitly mention choices affecting battles and characters on an official site if they were false, I'm sure if it was wrong they would have taken it down by now to avoid false advertising rules which i assume japan has.

^ yes it could be prose and it is a translation but if those are the words they used i seriously doubt they would implicitly mention choices affecting battles and characters on an official site if they were false, I'm sure if it was wrong they would have taken it down by now to avoid false advertising rules which i assume japan has.

oh my bad i didn't read the "characters and battle" thing. I was more talking about the story choices which I could see them skimping on like Awakening's as it only mentions "progressing two very contrasting stories." With this wording, it makes it seem like the main story will progress independent of the choices you make regardless of mechanical or practical consequence.

They also mention choices affecting the story as well as battles and chapters but i left it out of my previous comment as story is subjective but battles and characters are not.

Edited by goodperson707

Yeah story and how it is changed (particularly with the already drastic story change of Nohr vs Hoshido) is very subjective and arbitrary and it could all be part of the marketing scheme but like I said I'm optimistic and hopefully there's some major replayability in both titles.

Based on the marketing of the game, and the honesty of Nintendo, I would imagine that we will have multiple choices throughout the game. I don't think Awakening ever claimed that you would be making "big choices." I'm sure we'll see some "choices" like we saw in Awakening, but I think we'll see a few other ones as well. I'd love for them to bring back the Arran/Samson archtype where you can only get one of two characters. And now that the games go way more in depth, I can imagine that the fighter you choose will have some impact on the story, whether it is remote or not. I hate making those kind of decisions, but I'd rather make a decision that affects the rest of the game rather than one that has almost no impact whatsoever.

^ "The keyword for this new Fire Emblem is if. With Hoshido and Nohr as the backdrops, the player must make choices, which will affect the story, battles, recruitable characters, while progressing two very contrasting stories."

Link is in my sig.

^ "The keyword for this new Fire Emblem is if. With Hoshido and Nohr as the backdrops, the player must make choices, which will affect the story, battles, recruitable characters, while progressing two very contrasting stories."

Link is in my sig.

You've said that already. As have I. Honestly it's just all speculation atm so none of us can act like we know anything and we certainly can't use a line of text in a marketing campaign to shed light on the entire game. Why not be optimistic though?

Based on the marketing of the game, and the honesty of Nintendo, I would imagine that we will have multiple choices throughout the game. I don't think Awakening ever claimed that you would be making "big choices." I'm sure we'll see some "choices" like we saw in Awakening, but I think we'll see a few other ones as well. I'd love for them to bring back the Arran/Samson archtype where you can only get one of two characters. And now that the games go way more in depth, I can imagine that the fighter you choose will have some impact on the story, whether it is remote or not. I hate making those kind of decisions, but I'd rather make a decision that affects the rest of the game rather than one that has almost no impact whatsoever.

Absolutely agreed.

We certainly can use it as context for the arran samson arch-type though as it implicitly mentions characters and to a lesser extent battles.

And sure its not complete proof but the fact it implicitly brings up choices affecting battles and recruitable characters it has a pretty high chance of battles and recruitables characters being true.

I'd really like to see stuff like "depending on your choice, you recruit a Hoshido prisoner, but turn a Nohr ally into the next boss" (Nohr) or "spare the Nohr soldier, but you start the next map surrounded by strong units" (Hoshido). I'm not sure if it's possible to cram that all in, but it would be amazing!

"The keyword for this new Fire Emblem is “if”. With Hoshido and Nohr as the backdrops, the player must make choices, which will affect the story, battles, recruitable characters, while progressing two very contrasting stories"

I'm not questioning your translation or anything (and I apologize if I come off that way, just want you to know that's not my intention), but are you absolutely and 100% certain this is what it says?

Because there's a big difference between "depending on what path you choose, the story, battles, recruitable characters will not be the same" (which is what I think is more likely considering what they have been revealing so far), and "the player must make choices [plural form], which will affect the story, battles, recruitable characters".

If it's really the latter, that's more than enough for me. But if the former is actually how we're supposed to interpret that text, then it doesn't really tell us anything about making choices beyond selecting which game you'll buy. I just want to make sure that there is no ambiguity here.

Edited by Ryo

That wouldn't be the first time that some game make a huge emphasis on choices, only for it to be a lie. Like in Neverwinter night.