Do you play fighting games for the story?

IceBrand

do you play fighting games for the story?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play fighting games for the story?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Depends on the game.

DOA's story amuses me, though I'm more interested in Hayate/Hayabusa than anything else (for obvious reasons).

I picked up the PS3 port for Tekken 6 (DR, IIRC) JUST for the story. I was only slightly disappointed, because I was fond of Lars.

Because you are into...yaoi?

Because you are into...yaoi?

I, too, believe that two men can carry on a close relationship yet still be friends.

(hint: Hitomi would kill both of them if they tried)

It's because they're ninjas, right?

Close enough. :P:

Actually, it's because Hayate/Kasumi/Ayane have an insanely fucked-up back story that somehow works, and I have no idea how Hayabusa stays in business when he's out saving the world so damn often (the latter is a more pressing question in my mind).

Actually, it's because Hayate/Kasumi/Ayane have an insanely fucked-up back story that somehow works, and I have no idea how Hayabusa stays in business when he's out saving the world so damn often (the latter is a more pressing question in my mind).

DoA surprisingly has good character backstories.

Also yeah Hayabusa is called out to do all sorts of crazy things like slay demon lords. Multiple demon lords. Sometimes multiple times.

Rachel acts as his body double? Oh wait....

I don't know about their backstories but according to DoA: Dimensions, which covers the plot of all four main games up to this point, the series has the most awesomely stupid story ever. I'm not sure what I love most: The stupidity of individual scenes, the complete disregard for continuity between scenes or how completely messed up and mismanaged the main characters are, especially Kasumi, who is supposedly the lead character of the series.

My favorite part of Dimensions is near the conclusion of the DoA3 story were...:

Christie manages to subdue Irene and tying her up, despite not only Ryu and Hayate being right in earshot but also despite Irene standing right next to Ayane, who apparently figured jumping right between Hayate and Ryu's Energy Beams in order to gain their attention was safer then simply engaging the assassin herself.

This is then succeed by Super Ninja Ryu chasing after the fleeing Christie but he somehow fails to catch up to the slim women carrying another person on her shoulders. This is silly enough as it is but he does such a crappy job at it that the next time we see them, Christie had apparently gained so much distance that she had enough time to tie Irene to a tree and holding a knife to her throat. Naturally she then proceeds to completely waste that setup by dropping her knife and facing the Super Ninja in hand to-hand combat, in what is either the result of a complete misunderstanding of the purpose of hostages or the assumption that if he fights as well as he runs, she can take him on easily.

I also love that the description text of story mode tells you to "Experience the story of the epic Dead or Alive Saga" or something like that. It's definitely epic, that's for sure. Every scene is a gem. I could talk for hours about how awesome they all are.

Edited by BrightBow

You missed out the best part where in DOA2 Ayane is such an edgelord that Helena spends 3 whole games thinking the ninjas killed her mum.

That and Eliot chugging entire cartons of milk at a bar.

Also is Honoka's obsession with cows ever likely to be explained?

I want another Soul Calibur game, with COTS back.

We got IV in 2008, V came out in 2012, so.. VI for 2016?

Never mind that, I want a new series with gameplay similar to COTS.

Too bad we seem to be the exception. If only more people had liked it... :v

And yes, Strife comes out of nowhere, wielding Soul Edge, then kills Girardot (who I liked). Man, the following chapters -were- hard, and I could not beat Strife because my chars were underleveled. Reminds me of my first run of FE...

No. But I still do enjoy a lot of fighting game stories~ Plus, in some games, it's a substantial part of the experience. (The original Art of Fighting comes to mind)

And as a lot of people mentioned, the character backstories can be interesting. Whether it be serious (Iori Yagami) or downright silly, (Rasputin) story mode can help you feel the characters.

Depends on the game, but Soul Calibur V's subpar story is kinda what ruined the game for me, so yeah story can affect my enjoyment of fighting games.

I do like V a lot, but yeah.. I try not to think about that story mode.

Well I was a semi competetive Mortal Kombat Player like in 2011 but story in general does not effect my experience when playings games unless its really story driven and the story is utter shit (RD)

Edited by Moishe Oofnik

There are very little fighting games (If games at all) that I play for any semblance of a plot, but arcsys fighters actually tend to have pretty solid plotlines. Whilst I've never played BlazBlue, Guilty Gear's plot is thoroughly enjoyable, as well as Persona 4 arena, though that tends to stem from the source material. There's other game's like that as well, particularity the previously mentioned Melty Blood, that has a strong plot due to it's source material.

Though I wouldn't say I would specifically play any of these games because of the plot. Though it seems unfair to just flatly say "no", because some have genuinely enjoyable plots and characters. So I'm just going to go with "depends on the game".

• 3 weeks later...

Some fighting games have a very good story and lore like Soul Calibur (sans SC4 and 5) and Blazblue. Holy crap blazblue.

Of course, it's the gameplay that matter, but a good story is a very nice bonus. I remember spending a lot of time reading SC2's backstories.

Eh, how is DOA story-wise ? I only played one game and I didn't loved it gameplay-wise.

Eh, how is DOA story-wise ? I only played one game and I didn't loved it gameplay-wise.

I'd say its decent. There's something like two arcs in DoA 5 - the "main" arc, which consists of the actual tournament, and the "true" arc, which consists of all the stuff behind-the-scenes. Furthermore, you get to fight out the tournament in the "main" arc, and every last character story fits into the overall scheme of things (so none of this "Bang died and created a hole in the ceiling" nonsense).

Some fighting games have a very good story and lore like Soul Calibur (sans SC4 and 5) and Blazblue. Holy crap blazblue.

Of course, it's the gameplay that matter, but a good story is a very nice bonus. I remember spending a lot of time reading SC2's backstories.

It's amusing in places, but not particularly great either. If you grasped the counter holds mechanic last time then I'd say it's probably not worth getting this, if you didn't then it might be worth trying DOA again since it opens up a lot more potential when you get the gist of it.

I'd say its decent. There's something like two arcs in DoA 5 - the "main" arc, which consists of the actual tournament, and the "true" arc, which consists of all the stuff behind-the-scenes. Furthermore, you get to fight out the tournament in the "main" arc, and every last character story fits into the overall scheme of things (so none of this "Bang died and created a hole in the ceiling" nonsense).

I really liked the bit with Eliot

I'm going to keep winning forever!

Cuts to Brad

So you lost