Need help from native English speakers

Chiki

It's very simple and any English speaker can do it. I need you to first read the context description, and imagine a narrator saying the sentence under that. I need you to tell me if it's possible for describing the situation.

Don't overthink it and just give your initial judgments!! Overthinking is bad.

Here's an example first. The homework is under the spoiler tags.

Example:

Context: Amy's lover purchased John a new pair of shoes during a trip to the mall.

Sentence: "Amy's lover purchased her a new pair of shoes."

Is this sentence true or false?

Homework help:

Context: Students of Class 3E have been taken hostage and Korosensei gives an exam for Bitch-sensei and Karasuma to do. If they fail the exam, the students die.

Karasuma says: "It is dangerous for the students to fail the exam."

Context: Students of Class 3E have been taken hostage and Korosensei gives an exam for Bitch-sensei and Karasuma to do. If they fail the exam, the students die.

Karasuma says: "The exam is dangerous for the students to fail."

Is 2 worse or the same as 1?

Edited by Chiki

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Context number 3 is fine

For the others : try add ''have a fail'' after to.

Hope that will help you.

Edit : Errrr, I thought that was about mistakes. I'm so bad XD

Edited by Nym

Bitch-Sama, that's hilarious. Anyways........

Sentence 1: It's would fit the sentence better than it is. The saying though doesn't really fit the context too well.

Sentence 2: Doesn't fit too well.

Sentence 3: Fits find.

Sentence 4: LOL whut? That's pretty odd, but doesn't match what's going on.

Sentence 5: Fits fine.

Bitch-Sama, that's hilarious. Anyways........

Sentence 1: It's would fit the sentence better than it is. The saying though doesn't really fit the context too well.

Sentence 2: Doesn't fit too well.

Sentence 3: Fits find.

Sentence 4: LOL whut? That's pretty odd, but doesn't match what's going on.

Sentence 5: Fits fine.

Are you sure you understood sentence 4? It was meant to fit perfectly.

Please expand "possible" more clearly. It's "possible" to describe any situation incorrectly or inappropriately for example.

Please expand "possible" more clearly. It's "possible" to describe any situation incorrectly or inappropriately for example.

For it to be possible for the sentence to be uttered it has to be grammatical and accurate.

Well, falsehoods can be grammatically correct. I don't actually feel any of these are actually "accurate", they're merely "not inaccurate", which isn't the same thing.

I realise I am overthinking so if you want my initial response it's "none of these are fine", but that may be down to not understanding/accepting the premise.

Edited by Irysa

Well, falsehoods can be grammatically correct. I don't actually feel any of these are actually "accurate", they're merely "not inaccurate", which isn't the same thing.

..That's why I said don't think too deeply into it.

What Platinum Gamer did was perfect.

Edited by Chiki

I overthink most things unfortunately, so you probably want to disregard my input. You can see my last post for the edited in initial reaction though!

If I understand the assignment correctly:

1. Maybe? Just because the exam is easy doesn't mean it's hard to fail; if failing is your goal, it should always be easy. In fact, even easier if the exam is easier to pass, because that means you know the right answers and can confidently give the wrong answers. But since you said not to overthink it, this might just be a "yes."

2. No.

3. No.

4. Yes.

5. No.

1. Not necessarily?

2. But the students aren't the ones taking the exam?

3. Bitch needs to be reported, that's a fire hazard.

4. Yes.

5. But the students aren't the ones taking the exam?

I can explain the first one in more detail, if necessary.

My answers are the exact same as Red Fox's, including how the first is a little iffy, but I suppose I'm supposed to say that that's true

oh, and I suppose eclipse's answers as well~

Edited by Freohr Datia

1. Not necessarily?

2. But the students aren't the ones taking the exam?

3. Bitch needs to be reported, that's a fire hazard.

4. Yes.

5. But the students aren't the ones taking the exam?

I can explain the first one in more detail, if necessary.

Between 2 and 5, do you think one of them is better, or are they the same?

And 1 was supposed to be an easy yes.

I'm jaded, so if an exam is easy, it tells me that the answers are obvious. . .which means it's equally easy to fail the exam intentionally.

2 and 5 seem disconnected to me, but I'm coming from the assumption that only two people are taking the exam, and if they fail, everyone else bears the consequences. If that isn't what you intended, please let me know~!

I'm jaded, so if an exam is easy, it tells me that the answers are obvious. . .which means it's equally easy to fail the exam intentionally.

2 and 5 seem disconnected to me, but I'm coming from the assumption that only two people are taking the exam, and if they fail, everyone else bears the consequences. If that isn't what you intended, please let me know~!

No, your results were consistent and unexpected.

#1 and #4 are both fine, though maybe a little stiffly worded (I wouldn't say them that way in real life).

#2 has two errors. First, it's wrong because of the tense. "Hard for the students to fail the exam" implies that failing the exam is the hard part. "It will be hard for the students if they fail the exam" would imply that the hardship comes as a result of failing the exam. Second, the sentence implies that the students are the ones taking the exam. The correct version would thus be "It will be hard for the students if we fail the exam."

#3 says "It is dangerous for the children", implying that the children are the ones smoking. "It is dangerous to the children" would correctly imply that the children are endangered as a result of the smoking, regardless of who's doing it.

#5 is similar to #2: it's implied that the students are the ones taking the exam, which they aren't.

#1 and #4 are both fine, though maybe a little stiffly worded (I wouldn't say them that way in real life).

#2 has two errors. First, it's wrong because of the tense. "Hard for the students to fail the exam" implies that failing the exam is the hard part. "It will be hard for the students if they fail the exam" would imply that the hardship comes as a result of failing the exam. Second, the sentence implies that the students are the ones taking the exam. The correct version would thus be "It will be hard for the students if we fail the exam."

#3 says "It is dangerous for the children", implying that the children are the ones smoking. "It is dangerous to the children" would correctly imply that the children are endangered as a result of the smoking, regardless of who's doing it.

#5 is similar to #2: it's implied that the students are the ones taking the exam, which they aren't.

This is why I told you not to think so deeply into it. Putting "to the children" would ruin the experiment.

A lot of people think everything except 2 are fine, myself included. I feel like everyone is just giving Red Fox of Fire's answers.. next time I do this survey, I might hide the answers people give.

Context: Students of Class 3E are taking Korosensei's latest exam. But the students realize that the exam is surprisingly easier than usual, and everyone expects to pass it.

Karasuma says: "It is hard for the students to fail the exam."

True.

Context: Karasuma and Bitch-sensei are being forced to take Korosensei's latest exam. If Karasuma and Bitch-sensei fail the exam, then the students will be forced to clean the classroom all day and get really exhausted.

Karasuma says: "It is hard for the students to fail the exam."

False. Would be better to say "it will be hard" if you wanna use the rest, I guess

Context: Bitch-sensei is smoking inside Class 3E while the students are around.

Karasuma says: "It is dangerous for the children to smoke in the classroom."

True

Context: Students of Class 3E have been taken hostage by Korosensei and will be executed if the students fail their exam.

True

True

Edited by Esau of Isaac

This is why I told you not to think so deeply into it. Putting "to the children" would ruin the experiment.

A lot of people think everything except 2 are fine, myself included. I feel like everyone is just giving Red Fox of Fire's answers.. next time I do this survey, I might hide the answers people give.

why do you feel that way?

why do you feel that way?

It's not something I can explain, 3 and 5 make perfect sense to me, my girlfriend, classmates and Esau too it seems. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I think our brains have different rules of grammar compared to you, Red Fox etc and I need to figure out what rules they are.

"It is dangerous..." and "It is hard" are sentences with identical appearances, though, which makes it really hard to figure out what the difference is between them.

Edited by Chiki