Does this games rating have you worried?

Snowy_One

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darker thematic elements are fine if used correctly. Im not expecting Fire Emblem: Game of Thrones edition (well...not full on anyway) with gore, bare tits, and lots of bad language. I think we are simply getting a more rounded thematically darker story. And theres nothing wrong with that. I doubt we'll get an M rating out west. Looks like it might be a strong T.

You'd be all for FE: Game of Thrones edition though wouldn't you? :P

Game ratings are largely subjective. The fact that a team at Cero thinks that the game is more appropriate for 15 year olds than 12 year olds does not mean much. In all likelihood, this game will not be much different from other FE games. Don't go crazy with your imaginations.

As long as we can still earn our happy ending through playing it, no matter how gory, violent, edgy or whatever it is that will be none of my concern.

i'm more of a fan of bittersweet endings myself, makes me feel like something was earned despite tragic events

with that said i'm a huge fan of Wei's hypothetical in DW8 and thats pretty much a happy ending.

i'm more of a fan of bittersweet endings myself, makes me feel like something was earned despite tragic events

with that said i'm a huge fan of Wei's hypothetical in DW8 and thats pretty much a happy ending.

I am too as well, as FE games in general never truly had a full happy ending (until Awakening).

I will love it if they done it in the style of Eliwood and Ninian, normal ending they won't be a couple but if you do bother about their relationship then you can pair them up but you-know-what happened to Ninian afterward because of it. As much as I hate tearjerking tragically ending, they are way more memorable than happy one (like the girl on my avatar and sign T_T).

Edited by Awakener_

it does not bother me, ratings don't mean too much to me

as long as it's executed well I personally don't even care if FE goes up to M, though I can see the marketing concerns for it not to

I'd say the rating stems from the fact that, if you assume that Kamui is roughly 18, you have to kill at least 2 young teenagers on each side, both of them being your family, whether biological or surrogate.

Hasn't it been stated that some characters won't appear depending on which path you pick?

in fact, why would you have to kill your real (Hoshiido) family if you choose Nohr, since that path involves an internal conflict, and not war with Hoshiido?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Hasn't it been stated that some characters won't appear depending on which path you pick?

in fact, why would you have to kill your real (Hoshiido) family if you choose Nohr, since that path involves an internal conflict, and not war with Hoshiido?

It will probably have both.

They said they won't appear, can appear but not fight, and appear as enemies IIRC.

First time I'm hearing this news. Awesome!

I'd love if the next FE was a little more "adult". I thoroughly enjoyed FE13, but I want the 14 to be more "serious". Really I'd be happy if the game had an M rating, but that obviously won't happen.

TBH, pretty much every FE before Awakening felt more serious than Awakening. I wouldn't say I'd be happy with an M rating, as an M rating pretty much always indicates something visual (gore, sex) over a serious story. (not saying there can't be a serious story, but a rating board does not have the time to go through every line of text, and that's why that kind of thing has less of a rating impact)

Edited by L95

Nope, not because I don't care whether it will have a darker story or not, but because I don't want to read too much into the rating at the moment.

I'd say the rating stems from the fact that, if you assume that Kamui is roughly 18, you have to kill at least 2 young teenagers on each side, both of them being your family, whether biological or surrogate.

Do you seriously think a Fire Emblem game is going to have you murdering children?

Do you seriously think a Fire Emblem game is going to have you murdering children?

We could kill some of the children characters with their own parent's hands in FE13 though, but that's an optional choice... That said, I think the sisters in FE14 will just retreat even if we do defeat them in battles (the same applies to the other family members as well, in case the plot still needs them).

its not technically murder but i get your point,

but you can kill every nearly every charecter regardless of age in most games. Yes you dont kill them on purpose but they can still die, also can't you kill teeny as an enemy in fe4 and i think she is close to the sisters age im not sure though.

edit and Cynthia and severa and yarne i think those are the enemy children

Edited by goodperson707

Honestly, the only reasons I can think of for the rating being higher than T are 1. Camilla, and 2. the scene where the Ryouma look-alike guy is getting turned into a pincushion. So far. I mean, we haven't seen every scene in the game yet.

We could kill some of the children characters with their own parent's hands in FE13 though, but that's an optional choice... That said, I think the sisters in FE14 will just retreat even if we do defeat them in battles (the same applies to the other family members as well, in case the plot still needs them).

its not technically murder but i get your point,

but you can kill every nearly every charecter regardless of age in most games. Yes you dont kill them on purpose but they can still die, also can't you kill teeny as an enemy in fe4 and i think she is close to the sisters age im not sure though.

edit and Cynthia and severa and yarne i think those are the enemy children

Severa is an allied NPC iirc.

Even when recruitable characters are killed, the game treats their death the same as though they died on your side. There is no special dialogue to note who kills them or any after thought given by relevant characters, even if they killed their own daughter. Clearly these are not to be treated as canon choices. Unless they are going for Shakespearean levels of tragedy, no imoutos will die in this game.

Severa is an allied NPC iirc.

Even when recruitable characters are killed, the game treats their death the same as though they died on your side. There is no special dialogue to note who kills them or any after thought given by relevant characters, even if they killed their own daughter. Clearly these are not to be treated as canon choices. Unless they are going for Shakespearean levels of tragedy, no imoutos will die in this game.

i thought she turned on you if that villager dies im not sure though. Okay i get your point on canon, but Dew does die in canon and i think he's quite young i forget if we have an age for him though. I would say that their age doesn't protect them that much but i dont see the player killing them, but they totally could die in other ways.

Edit okay so she does turn on you thx HF Makalov

Edited by goodperson707

severa turns enemy if the person she's suppost to talk too is killed by you.

Off-topic, but was there any special dialogues if this happened? I couldn't find it anywhere.

If we throw in some anime cliches, it could be the case that the younger sister on the side you don't choose becomes deathly ill from the stress and could die if you don't make the correct in-game choices. But, I agree, Nintendo isn't going to make you 'kill' the little girls.

I love how people are looking at Carmilla as a possible reason for an M-rating. Senran Kagura Burst, when it came to America, is T-RATED, and that game was bursting with fanservice -- clothes damage, massive bust sizes, cleavages and pantyshots (really swimsuit shots) -- basically, those high school girls in that game for the most part make Carmilla look well covered up. And as if Tharja and Aversa from FE13 weren't any better.

Im not expecting Fire Emblem: Game of Thrones edition

Maybe someday, amirite?

I love how people are looking at Carmilla as a possible reason for an M-rating. Senran Kagura Burst, when it came to America, is T-RATED, and that game was bursting with fanservice -- clothes damage, massive bust sizes, cleavages and pantyshots (really swimsuit shots) -- basically, those high school girls in that game for the most part make Carmilla look well covered up. And as if Tharja and Aversa from FE13 weren't any better.

The only reason I think Camilla might have something to do with it is if she's heavily featured in cutscenes, even then that should still be ok for T over here but it might be a factor in the bump up in Japan.

I don't think I've ever heard of a game getting an M rating for skimpy outfits/fanservice (without nudity). And there are many games out there with far more risque outfits than Camilla's. The entire Soul Calibur series is rated T, for instance, as is SRT Endless Frontier.

It's possible the game will get rated M for other reasons, but I really doubt it. As has already been pointed out, the game's rating in Japan isn't proof of anything; such games get localised as either T or M readilly. Based on what we've seen so far, there's really nothing that puts the game beyond the standard RPG rating of T; it generally takes a lot of blood, extreme graphic violence, or outright nudity to push a game's rating further. Even the pincushioning seen in the trailer is relatively ungraphic for what it is, and wouldn't seem out of place in a T-rated game (compare the famous relevant scene in FF7).

Nintendo of America is NOT going to release a Fire Emblem game with an M rating. Period. The game might end up having a hard T rating, but they are not going to sell an M rated Fire Emblem.