"My Castle" Explanation Video Translation

Uhm, pair-up is one of the worst balanced thing I've ever seen in FE. Like, Sacred Stones levels. You can solo'ed the hard mode with Chrom and Robin in Pair-up. Alone. Tell me this is balanced.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's you being inadequately prepared, tough as it might be to hear. There's been many a no grind run for FE13. I've done 2 now. We have a user who beat L+ without resetting.

Don't the most consistent strategies for Lunatic+ have the Avatar grinding for like fifty turns in the Prologue?

Edited by Shrouded In Myth

Uhm, pair-up is one of the worst balanced thing I've ever seen in FE. Like, Sacred Stones levels. You can solo'ed the hard mode with Chrom and Robin in Pair-up. Alone. Tell me this is balanced.

I explained this already like two pages ago.

Because a developer just throws a bunch of numbers at the wall until they stick with no thought put into how the game should be played whatsoever. The context that I've used the term balance in has been, from the very beginning, been the idea that the developers design and tune the challenge of the game, either to make the game beatable under the right conditions or to make the difficulty appropriate for the individual modes. I'm not saying every play style or unit should be on an even playing field, that's another use of the word balance.

So yes, IS balanced the game around Pair Up. It's why enemies have massively inflated stats. I'm not saying it's a good thing or that IS did a good job balancing the game or the Pair Up system, but they did make changes to the game based on having Pair Up as a feature, just like how they made changes based on how you could grind.

Oh by the way I'm really sorry for this massive derail. I didn't think I would cause such a shitstorm.

b5b532fb62247b079cf0be7e86c8f874.png

Hey, that post I made in the other thread was actually kinda right, if they have an averse reaction to the food they'll suffer a lot of losses stat-wise!

Anyway, thanks for this awesome translation, Rey. You're the best.

b5b532fb62247b079cf0be7e86c8f874.png

Hey, that post I made in the other thread was actually kinda right, if they have an averse reaction to the food they'll suffer a lot of losses stat-wise!

Anyway, thanks for this awesome translation, Rey. You're the best.

So basically don't let Raine from ToS cook in this game.

just raine? nearly or all of the tales games has at least one bad chef. Though the only one i know by name is Arche from ToP

Still! I had to only use one example and she came to mind first.

I explained this already like two pages ago.

I absolutely don't care how you tried to justify it. You can solo'ed hard with only two characters. Is not balanced.

Pair Up was actually the first feature I listed as being balanced around. People just got really defensive about grinding, since apparently pointing out how IS designed Awakening with grinding in mind means I'm trying to invalidate peoples' no grind runs.

This is probably because the terms "Design" and "Balance" are often mixed up. The game is designed with grinding in mind, yes. If you're having trouble with a map you can definitely grind until you feel you can beat it. But the game isn't balanced around it until you get to the DLC maps where you have to grind in order to get the correct skills/stats in order to beat them.

I will agree with you though that "I've done no grind runs" doesn't exactly debunk your argument. DD151's 0% Growth Runs is an excellent example of this.

Don't the most consistent strategies for Lunatic+ have the Avatar grinding for like fifty turns in the Prologue?

Lunatic+ is a whole other ballpark since not only enemy stats are strongly inflated, but they got completely overpowered skills as well. Grinding with Robin is the only consistent way to get past Chapter 2 and 3. After that it's basically just a more extreme version of lowmanning Lunatic.

People just got really defensive about grinding, since apparently pointing out how IS designed Awakening with grinding in mind means I'm trying to invalidate peoples' no grind runs.

Well I mean, you are the one that seems really defensive right now actually, but oh well.

I do like the Castle thing for the most part, at least. I thought Fire Emblem should do something like the visitable towns in FE2 for a while, and this is the closest so far.

Still! I had to only use one example and she came to mind first.

Yeah still don't let her cook, it just is that bad cooking is kinda a thing in tales. Them again it kinda is in fire emblem too, but more recently and not really in 7,8 i don't think.

Well I mean, you are the one that seems really defensive right now actually, but oh well.

I do like the Castle thing for the most part, at least. I thought Fire Emblem should do something like the visitable towns in FE2 for a while, and this is the closest so far.

That isn't defensive.

I absolutely don't care how you tried to justify it. You can solo'ed hard with only two characters. Is not balanced.

This is defensive.

Edited by Geek

First. . .thank you SoC! To show my appreciation, I will abuse my mod powers and change your member title to "Depressed Moe Sound" :P:

I agree with Feplus that this game will most likely shatter this forum in 2. And if the debate overshadows learning about the mechanics and strategies for the game, the sole reason I joined in the first place, I'm out of here.

This forum survived Awakening. It survived the introduction of Casual Mode in New Mystery. I think it'll be JUST FINE.

By the way, this. You should've seen the crap I've got for outing my fears for If, and how me pointing an optimist view is no more rational or reasonable than a pessimist view of If's future granted a wall of text or two from Jedi. I'm starting to agree that some people are just too immature for a discussion. They have their opposite opinions, and are willing to bludgeon others who voice otherwise.

You're free to have an opinion. Other people are free to react to it. However, whining about other people because they reacted to your opinion is NOT cool. We both know you'd be lynched in a heartbeat if that's how you reacted to a case on you in mafia. Apply the same principles outside of mafia.

To quote myself:

Feel free to correct me, but I recall Awakening barracks working identically to Awakening shiny tiles: you get something completely random. Sometimes it's a token amount of experience, sometimes it's a small support bump, sometimes it's a random weapon or item.

Not quite. Here's what each of them yield, with differences in bold.

Shiny tiles - Random item, experience, support (if applicable), weapon experience

Barracks - Random item, experience, conversation between two random characters (if said characters can support, then support will be raised), stat boost for one chapter, nothing at all, special events on birthdays

The difference is that you're guaranteed something from the shiny tiles, even if it's not applicable (like weapon experience when all weapon ranks are maxed). The barracks can literally give you nothing. Oh, and the shiny tiles are guaranteed to appear on a map, so the more maps you play, the more you can grab from them. Barracks are timed.

You seem really hung over the stat boosting thing, so I have to ask: How'd you feel about stat boosts from the barracks in Awakening? To anyone who beat Awakening on Lunatic/Lunatic+, I ask: Were the stat boosts, experience gains, and support gains instrumental to your strategy? I ask because I haven't beat Awakening on Lunatic myself, but knowing the random nature of the barracks' bonus effects and how tiny they were, I'm having incredible difficulty they made or broke a playthrough.

Nope, nope, and nope. I could've gone through with no Barracks, and I wouldn't have noticed the difference.

I first want to say thank you to SoC for the translation.

As for whether or not FE14 will be balanced around My Castle, we really don't have enough information to know for sure,

I personally think that I won't enjoy it because it seems mindless way to just pass time and relax, which is exact opposite of why I play a strategy game.

I'm specifically worried about the farming thing because apparently some materials to forge weapons can only be obtained this way.

I like strategy games because it is my skill and understanding of the mechanics that gets me cool weapons and beat tough challenges,

not how much time I have to waste.

There's several other RPGs with this sort of system in place, and it sort of reminds me of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (I. . .think it was Gates to Infinity that let you build stuff?). Shopping's pretty vital, and tinkering with stat boosts for a given map looks interesting, especially given the semi-random nature of it.

AH, I forgot to say: I hate Felicia's voice.

And I will never permit to her to cook.

She's going to cook ALL the meals. The reactions from everyone else were hilarious.

---

On second thought, I will be cautiously accepting of the face-rubbing thing if I can pet Lilith. Otherwise, I'll leave that feature untouched. It sounds like the random convos in town are a better source of temporary stat boosts.

Also, I am HYPED about recruiting the characters in the other game! This is turning out a lot better than I thought!

Edited by eclipse

That's less pair up being imbalanced and more Hard mode being a joke.

The worst-case scenario is that I am going to have a ritualistic face rubbing before battle, which while silly isn't the dumbest thing i have ever heard, it's up there but still not THE dumbest. Although the web comics/jokes that are going to come from this are going to golden.

The worst-case scenario is that I am going to have a ritualistic face rubbing before battle, which while silly isn't the dumbest thing i have ever heard, it's up there but still not THE dumbest. Although the web comics/jokes that are going to come from this are going to golden.

Yeah i would say the reaction from the fandom makes this (almost?) worth it to me. while the reaction of ribbing on it and making fun of it, not the moral arguments part. Honestly this just seems like they took the concept of inviting someone up to your room (an okay concept) and then wanted to add touch screen controls, and there you have it you have face rubbing. Its more hilarious of why someone would use this seriously to me.

Personally, the only thing that I find stupid and outright dislike so far is the face-touching thing.

The other things like literally dressing up your sister like a clown at least doesn't seem to be free (from the video, I assume you would need to spend the materials gained to make stuffs, which I would save for other more useful purposes). Onsen/hot-spring is soooooooooooooooooooo common in manga/anime that I don't even find it surprising anymore. And before you say it, washing other's back is an ACTUAL culture showing respect/bond between people. Face-rubbing, on the other hand, is not. Though I'd probably not visit that place that much because I'm not into fan-service in general.

The rest of the stuffs are concepts that I find interesting and they seem enjoyable.

Edited by Ryo

Woah woah woah, at 9:02 or so it shows that when you beat streetpassed people you can recruit others from their army, and it shows cross recruiting...so theoretically, you can have all the soldiers from Nohr in Hoshido and vice versa? Or am I understanding this wrong?

Woah woah woah, at 9:02 or so it shows that when you beat streetpassed people you can recruit others from their army, and it shows cross recruiting...so theoretically, you can have all the soldiers from Nohr in Hoshido and vice versa? Or am I understanding this wrong?

You need a bunch of friends with the other game, but I think it's theoretically possible?

Also. . .I forgot about the customization. Kamui in a floppy hat, here I come~!

You need a bunch of friends with the other game, but I think it's theoretically possible?

Also. . .I forgot about the customization. Kamui in a floppy hat, here I come~!

You're gonna make him/her a Red Mage? :P

Oh wow, I didn't notice that. For laughs I'm definitely gonna do a playthrough where I recruit Ryouma in the Nohr version and have him fight Hoshido soldiers and his siblings.

Edited by Monado Boy

Oh wow, I didn't notice that. For laughs I'm definitely gonna do a playthrough where I recruit Ryouma in the Nohr version and have him fight Hoshido soldiers and his siblings.

Sounds like Dynasty Warriors where a friend/family member would play as a character on the side you are fighting against lol.