"My Castle" Explanation Video Translation

Thank you for all of your hard work, SoC! The amount of hyperbole and doom and gloom people are casting upon one menial feature of a likely many the game will provide out of the box is rather superfluous, to put it lightly, but I digress. All of this pessimism should hopefully blow over when the full game is released and everyone is basking in the initial wave of new information as it pours out by the seconds. Ah, the 25th can't come soon enough~

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for all of your hard work, SoC! The amount of hyperbole and doom and gloom people are casting upon one menial feature of a likely many the game will provide out of the box is rather superfluous, to put it lightly, but I digress. All of this pessimism should hopefully blow over when the full game is released and everyone is basking in the initial wave of new information as it pours out by the seconds. Ah, the 25th can't come soon enough~

Two years out and the Awakening storm hasn't blown over. I understand wanting people to be excited, but you really can't make others like something if initial impressions don't seem like something they would want to play.

Still, there is a lot of confusing things. But hey, think of all the good joke we could do. :p

'So yeah, this guy is the hero of dawn, he is equiped with the holy blade Ragnell, can use the most powerful skill ever, and in fact, he is the greatest swordman in the entire world'

'Impressive !'

'Oh and this dude ? He is the vessel of the Fell Dragon Grima, he can use every kind of weapons and magics, he's transexual, and he is broken.as crap'

'I wonder if I could fight them ?...'

'Yeah whatever now, you guys are now all useless, go away.'

'Wait, what ? But, I have a thunder sword ! And I'm a Trueblade !'

'STFU and let the pro do their things. I heard that Felicia needed help for her cooking.'

...Who cared about Robin ? I want Grima ! *w*

I hope they have a fake beard, i have to add my beard in some how if it isn't an customization option.
Ah screw it, Fake beards for Everyone!!!!!

Is that a Sheogorath reference ? Or maybe YOU are Sheogorath ?...It would explain the cheesy; Ahah, avatar.

I wonder if those beards would be shown in their portrait though ? A man can always dream.

it wasn't intended as a reference i just like my beard (and fake beards) and cheesy jokes.

But now that i think about it i seem to remember hearing something similar on tv tropes once. Sheogorath is the dark god thing from the elder scrolls right? Any what is the quote?

Edited by goodperson707

it wasn't intended as a reference i just like my beard (and fake beards) and cheesy jokes.

But now that i think about it i seem to remember hearing something similar on tv tropes once. Sheogorath is the dark god thing from the elder scrolls right? Any what is the quote?

Cheese ! For everyone ! :D

It wasn't intended ? Aww, that's too bad.

If I get my choice of beardage then I'll go for one like Tsar Nicholas II or King Gorge V, because it's a good royal beard + mustache combo.

I'll just say one last thing in this thread.

Do you know why I side with the casuals and white Knight them? Because they are fun to talk with. There are veterans here like Jedi and Shin who are fun to talk with as well. And some of them REALLY HATE the direction IS is taking. But also, they just show it in more healthy ways.

Simply said, they're chill. Do you know how tiring it is to pour hours into translation and then get greeted with "Man, the New FE is shit." essentially?

You can be disappointed in the features, but it just feels so disappointing that people can be such killjoys.

Casuals just enjoy the game for what it is. It's not bad to be aware of the games shortcomings, but I just have that feeling that people don't "love" Fire Emblem when they say they're concerned with the series' direction. They love their vision of what it should be.

Fe:if and their attempt to appeal with these Silly Features... yes, that's all I feel they are... is not even close to being "Weeaboo Otaku catering shit". You are not Miyazaki criticizing the Otaku dominated anime industry. Hoho, we are not even close to that point yet.

Thanks for the translations. Also, great post.

Also amused your house is a damn tree house.

Me too. The thought of a royal electing to live in a tree house is amusing. It's actually pretty well furnished though.

You know the game is going to be balanced around My Castle, Red Fox of Fire. Just like how Awakening was balanced upwards because of Pair Up and the ability to grind. The problem is that some people might want to play a Fire Emblem and not Rune Factory 5: Tactics Edition and will be punished for it in the main game since stats in any amount will give you an edge, especially since IS seems to think tactics means bigger numbers and nothing else.

Supports? In FE9 they helped flesh out characters which in turn fleshed out the world since the tone was more in line with the main game than PIES PIES PIES.

I do think Awakening's supports could have done a better job of fleshing out their world and characters, but there's nothing wrong with them choosing to go with more comical or locker room talk supports. I've actually always felt past FE supports could use more humor. I really liked them, including "PIES PIES PIES". Hopefully next game it will be more balanced between comical and fleshed out supports though.

Fair enough. I presume Elise and Sakura will available for Kamui's play room, but even if they aren't my criticisms still hold. The interactions are unatural and inappropriate.

Not that I like the face rubbing, but if it turns out Kamui is only gently caressing them and that the whole rubbing their face like a pet thing is just a game mechanic, would you look at it as less unatural? That's what I'm really hoping for, although it doesn't make the responses less weird.

Regardless of balance I do feel Awakening was designed around grinding though. Skills, reclass, children are big parts of the gameplay that encourage grinding. If this game similarly encourages My Castle then I would understand people disliking it.

This is the argument Geek should have been making, rather than complaining the unlockable difficulties require grinding.

Did anyone notice at 8:31, Orochi receives a buff from allying with Oboro, and the boosts don't go by fives? The boosts could be determined by stats or supports, I'm guessing.

Did anyone notice at 8:31, Orochi receives a buff from allying with Oboro, and the boosts don't go by fives? The boosts could be determined by stats or supports, I'm guessing.

It was a Hit +14 so it could be affected by supports.

I doubt NoA will remove face rubbing, lemme list off 3 other 3DS games with rubbing:

1) Pokemon

2) Tomadachi Life

3) Conception II

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance also had a face rubbing feature I believe, though that was with your Dream Eaters (colourful fighting monster pets basically) so it's not quite the same as people-rubbing.

One thing that annoyed me about KH:3D was that, in order to unlock skills for battle and actually make your Dream Eaters useful, you had to do the pet rubbing. It got tiresome after some time and made Proud mode harder than it should have been. So I understand why someone might resent the "Fire Emblem Amie" if it offered stat boosts that could be essential for a perfect Lunatic+ run.

For someone like me, who sticks to Hard/Classic most of the time and is an admittedly huge fan of games like Harvest Moon/Rune Factory, "My Castle" will probably be a fun thing to mess around with when I'm bored. But I can see how this sort of thing isn't to everyone's tastes and that's completely fine.

Edited by Nakaion

You need a bunch of friends with the other game, but I think it's theoretically possible?

Also. . .I forgot about the customization. Kamui in a floppy hat, here I come~!

I wonder if the game will have something akin to the Avatar Logbook. Where you can save your past Kamuis to it and summon them (for a price) and maybe set them up as a streetpass team. Hue!

YUS! Floppy hat, and maybe a horned hat for mine!

I hope they have a fake beard, i have to add my beard in some how if it isn't an customization option.

Ah screw it, Fake beards for Everyone!!!!!

Dude. I need it.

Yea i need a fake beard if they won't let me have a real one. Actually if we do have real facial hair i still want fake beards. The more the hairier. Wonder which hat i would chose to go with it though. A hat really makes the difference for a fake beard, go for a wizard look maybe or a lumberjack that would be okay.

At first I wasn't excited about the dress up that much and then I heard about the idea of fake beards for everyone...

Must put on all the characters. Even Elise.

Especially Elise.

At first I wasn't excited about the dress up that much and then I heard about the idea of fake beards for everyone...

Must put on all the characters. Even Elise.

Especially Elise.

That is not how to spell Charlotte :P:

Oh, right. Also am very glad that I can change Kamui's hair in his/her room. It sort of reminds me of the scripted appearance changes in FE12, without the scripted part.

Hm, something that just occurred to me: I believe Felicia said "I'm on cooking duty today" or something like that. Does that mean it changes every day, and that you should wait for a good cook to show up, or is it all random or based on available ingredients?

I disagree. There are certain points where the game's difficulty spikes upwards so drastically that if the game isn't balanced around grinding, it's not balanced at all. Chapter 5 Lunatic is a good example of this. Even if you do Donnel's paralogue to get the Rescue staff and have proper pairings and use chokepoints properly you'll still be overpowered if you're unlucky or didn't abuse Frederick in earlier chapters.

That is untrue though. On my First playthrough of the Japanese release game(which was in Lunatic) I beat Chapter 5 in Lunatic without beating Donnel's Paralogue and by extension without even knowing the Rescue Staff was in the game and that's a chapter where using chokepoints often isn't a good idea, the most threatening enemies in the chapter fly over the cliff side.

I'd argue the problem lies in your playstyle, if you think chokepoints are the key to beating a chapter where the strongest enemies can around it I don't think you're in a position to say what requires grinding or not if you aren't going to play appropriately for each chapter. Obviously grinding or powerlevelling can "fix" this problem for you and give the player an easy out or a shortcut for coming up with a good strategy.

I mean what do you call me coming up with a way you can save Ricken and Maribelle every single time on my first playthrough of Lunatic on the Japanese release without the Rescue staff(or the EXP from that chapter) on a non-grind run other than requiring strategy?

Overall what I've experienced from the last three games H5 and Lunatic modes are actually balanced/designed around being harsh and having powerful enemies that will easily overwhelm a player if they let them build up and don't defeat them quickly enough, Preventing a certain low effort overly conservative strategy that relies on chokepoints and can almost uniformly get you through a lot of Fire Emblem games hardest modes from suceeding.

H5 is actually balanced around the player abusing effective weaponry and forging*. =)

I actually really love it when RPGs that really serious (like Xenoblade and X) just let you do absolutely silly things. I don't know why. I guess that explains why I like the onsen and the accessories.

I don't have a problem with either (the onsen could have less fanservice, but it doesn't actually creep me out or bother me so I don't give a fuck). I just wish they made buying accessories less convoluted than it already looks like it's going to be! Just let me buy them with gold.

*Seriously, H5 is my favorite difficulty level in FE.

Edited by Refa

I actually really love it when RPGs that really serious (like Xenoblade and X) just let you do absolutely silly things. I don't know why. I guess that explains why I like the onsen and the accessories.

Agreed, totally. My favorite thing in Xenoblade is having a SUPER SERIOUS CUTSCENE with Shulk in his smallclothes. Its hilarious and awesome. Gimme fake beards, jester hats, and Tsubaki splish splashing in the bath.

Hm, something that just occurred to me: I believe Felicia said "I'm on cooking duty today" or something like that. Does that mean it changes every day, and that you should wait for a good cook to show up, or is it all random or based on available ingredients?

I thought it was just a throwaway phrase since Joker/Felicia liked commenting on things they specifically were doing in game.

I have no idea why I thought this (might have been in an earlier part when buildings were actually being placed, or it could just be wishful thinking) but I thought the player character might be able to choose who runs each shop and switch them out whenever? I dunno, I think seeing how different characters would interact with customers would be fun. But if the food is based solely on each character's skill in the kitchen, it would make sense to have it random day to day, so players don't abuse the one good chef in the army. Then again, it might be aggravating to Nohr players stuck on certain maps since there isn't any grinding, being forced to try it without the stat boosts they want or wait a day and pray there's a better chef on duty. Or perhaps characters can be switched and each character has unique cooking skills or some such - like Felicia is a high-risk/high-reward kind of cook where she prepares really awful meals most of the time, but on the off chance she does produce something good it's like the second coming of jesus or something. Or some characters have special dishes with special benefits only they can make? I dunno. Add strategy to the kitchen.

On that note, anyone think sibling characters are going to be available to man shops/cook? I think it'd be hilarious to put Marx, Leon, or Takumi on duty....

There's several other RPGs with this sort of system in place, and it sort of reminds me of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (I. . .think it was Gates to Infinity that let you build stuff?). Shopping's pretty vital, and tinkering with stat boosts for a given map looks interesting, especially given the semi-random nature of it.

I often do not like how it's implemented in other games. Usually mining or farming for materials to make things has you wait in-game time or real life time to actually harvest the materials, and I personally think that just the game wasting my time. This sort of system works better in open-ended RPGs because passing time in the world is the point in those RPGs, whether it is by exploring, playing mini games, talking to NPCs, grinding etc. Fire Emblem is not that sort of game; it is a game about overcoming challenges, whether it's enforced in the game or by self-imposed rules.

I've been playing Berwick Saga recently and like how it implemented its weapon crafting. Instead of mining the materials, you get them from defeating enemies that spawn on very hard to reach locations. I like this better than farming because it becomes a test of your skill instead of your patience.

Berwick Saga also has a food system that works similar to the one shown in the trailer. Feed your units food they like and they gain temporary boosts and increase their happiness, feeding them food they hate has the opposite effect. Who you can feed and what you can feed them is determined randomly at the start of the chapter but it is in no way needed or game breaking. It is just fun optimizing your units for the upcoming chapter with what you get.

Edited by Shrouded In Myth

I'm probably alone in seeing Fire Emblem Amie as NOT creepy. This level of "worship" seems reasonable considering My Unit is royalty, and most people would consider it an honor to have a member of royalty touch your face. At least I would find it an honor. :v

When it's one of your siblings, then yes I can see it being a little weird.

That said, thanks so much for this translation. It was great to see all these features. I really can't wait to try this game out.

Edited by Faye

I have no idea why I thought this (might have been in an earlier part when buildings were actually being placed, or it could just be wishful thinking) but I thought the player character might be able to choose who runs each shop and switch them out whenever?

I actually thought this as well, though I'm not sure if there was any actual evidence of it in the video. It'd be nice though. "Ryouma, I know you have an army to run and a war to win, but that stew you made the other day? It was amazing so I need you to go on cooking duty from now on."