This week's (4th June) Famitsu scans are up

This might be kind of random, but couldn't the katakana for Belka's name also be read as "Veruca"?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This might be kind of random, but couldn't the katakana for Belka's name also be read as "Veruca"?

ヴェルカ is usually how "Velka/Veruka" would look. Looking around with ベルカ on Japanese sites often returns "Belka"

But I see what you mean, since Berubetto makes Velvet (for Panne in Japanese, for instance)

So ベル in one is veru and beru in the other, but I think Belka is safe.

Edited by Kirokan

ヴェルカ is usually how "Velka/Veruka" would look. Looking around with ベルカ on Japanese sites often returns "Belka"

Ah, got it. Thanks Kirokan, my katakana reading skills aren't super good at this point and some of the characters (such as the "b"s and the "f"s) still confuse me ^^;

Ah, got it. Thanks Kirokan, my katakana reading skills aren't super good at this point and some of the characters (such as the "b"s and the "f"s) still confuse me ^^;

Indeed, I edited my post too to add to the confusion you may feel xD

You can usually determine whether it's a B or V sound if you know the word you are trying to sound out with the katakana : ) Saying Berubetto fast will give you Velvet, for instance.

Anyway glad to be of help!

I may have figured out (for the most part) why I got thrown off so badly. In Korean, I think "b" and "v" sound similar enough to just count them as the same thing, so I did just that. Meanwhile, the Japanese language book I'm using to read the katakana and hiragana even gave the "ve" sound as a different character from the "be" sound. Looks like I'll have to practice more on those. Anyway, thanks again!

Edited by Sunwoo

I may have figured out (for the most part) why I got thrown off so badly. In Korean, I think "b" and "v" sound similar enough to just count them as the same thing, so I did just that. Meanwhile, the Japanese language book I'm using to read the katakana and hiragana even gave the "ve" sound as a different character from the "be" sound. Looks like I'll have to practice more on those. Anyway, thanks again!

Feel free to PM/email me if you ever want more help on learning. : )

There's a scene in the "My castle" video showing Sakura being infected with Movement debuff/neutralization, so that might have something to do with the Freeze Staff. If I have to hazard a guess, 七難即滅 (lit. Immediate Extermination of the Seven Misfortunes) is a staff that can negate the... disadvantages (I won't call them status conditions because they're not confirmed to return yet), sort of like Restore. Also note that 'Seven Misfortunes' is only a reference to Buddhist philosophy, so there may not be exactly 7 different types of disadvantages in the game.

The Prison sounds cool, but given that building it is completely optional, I highly doubt it would be significant to the plot (as in you can choose to spare your siblings and put them in there). Interrogating enemies may be possible, but not sure what that would do. Can I torture people plz?

D'you think that the thing where you get one of your enemy units is unlimited? If so, that would be cool to be able to nab a Hoshidan class in Nohr. I want mah Lancers and Samurai!

I want 50 Aquas. ⊚ ◡ ⊚

Finally, I have can have a dancer songstress army! (๑•̀ㅁ•́ฅ) BWAHAHAHAHA!

Edited by squkyshoes

Saw teh new infos. Can't wait, though it's a shame Nishiki is the only revealed fox char so far. I hope there's a female fox shapeshifter, but if Nishiki is the only one I suppose I won't be too disappoint. As they say in the hood, bros b4 all dem hose(s).

Actually, thanks for motivating me to taking a look at it, because the damage is 26, which is not a multiple of 3. Unless I suck at math that hard

Here it is(priorities, priorities):

fBnzLKS.jpg

Edit:

Say what you will about her, but her expression in Kazahana's bio is stupid cute.

It's might x3. The 26 is might x3 + strength - defense.

Might x 3 is different from damage x3, which would be (might+strength-defense)x3. It likely won't add to a multiple of 3.

My guess is that the whole dungeon thing is for characters you abduct through Streetpass, and that through the dungeon there's a limited number of characters you can abduct but through upgrades you can increase that limit. Also I really hope that they do some major balancing around that system or at least limit it to Streetpass only as having a bunch of Aquas and being able to use them all in the story would be OP. Heck just having a bunch of Aquas in Streetpass would be OP granted you can only use a certain amount of characters per battle. I just don't want a repeat of Awakening's streetpass battles...

Tangentially related to something earlier in the thread, someone pointed out the green glowy tiles in the Nohr shots

https://youtu.be/-IE2PAYh2U0?t=537

They're in the my castle video too. Kamui is standing on one.

You're right!

And since the tiles are pulsing outwards, it explains the smaller-looking squares in Belka's character info pictures.

There's a scene in the "My castle" video showing Sakura being infected with Movement debuff/neutralization, so that might have something to do with the Freeze Staff. If I have to hazard a guess, 七難即滅 (lit. Immediate Extermination of the Seven Misfortunes) is a staff that can negate the... disadvantages (I won't call them status conditions because they're not confirmed to return yet), sort of like Restore. Also note that 'Seven Misfortunes' is only a reference to Buddhist philosophy, so there may not be exactly 7 different types of disadvantages in the game.

The Prison sounds cool, but given that building it is completely optional, I highly doubt it would be significant to the plot (as in you can choose to spare your siblings and put them in there). Interrogating enemies may be possible, but not sure what that would do. Can I torture people plz?

I wonder how they're going to translate all those Hoshido Batons for the English version

Does anybody else find it weird how they mentioned Kamui using dragonstones to transform into a dragon, but didn't bring up Nishiki's transformation method? Could it be that he doesn't use stones?

Does anybody else find it weird how they mentioned Kamui using dragonstones to transform into a dragon, but didn't bring up Nishiki's transformation method? Could it be that he doesn't use stones?

wondered about that as well. maybe we get something like the Laguz back ?

Dunno if this is the right place to mention this (or if it's been brought up yet - skimmed but found no mention), but I actually think Velka/Belka's name could actually be Veruca? Like the character in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Not a particularly insightful, I know, but I felt like it was worth mentioning since it'd been annoying me.

Dunno if this is the right place to mention this (or if it's been brought up yet - skimmed but found no mention), but I actually think Velka/Belka's name could actually be Veruca? Like the character in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

Not a particularly insightful, I know, but I felt like it was worth mentioning since it'd been annoying me.

I actually brought that up in the last page, Kirokan said that the katakana for "Veruca" would've been something different than what is used in Belka's name.

Maybe, but they also showed him mid-transformation at what looks like the start of the battle. Could be that that was a different time and he'll transform outside of battle and then stay that way for x number of turns, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Even if he doesn't use stones specifically I'd expect it to work the same in terms of game mechanics anyway, i.e. you transform at the start of the battle, fight, and then transform back.

Edited by capmalachi

I actually brought that up in the last page, Kirokan said that the katakana for "Veruca" would've been something different than what is used in Belka's name.

Oop, dunno how I missed that, thanks! Looks like Belka is an actual Czech name so I'm stated.

Well he is a fox spirit, so..... Although I suppose I guess it would make just as much sense for other shapeshifters not to have stones, I suppose already being familiar with the mythology makes me more amiable to the idea that he wouldn't need stones? I'd also argue that the doing away with weapon durability supports that, but Kamui needs their stone so unless he can only transform (which would suck) I don't think that's the case. Or perhaps he automatically transforms when no other usable weapon is equipped? I dunno.....

It's might x3. The 26 is might x3 + strength - defense.

Might x 3 is different from damage x3, which would be (might+strength-defense)x3. It likely won't add to a multiple of 3.

Well technically it could be total damage x3 -defense, but I don't believe it will be a thing. So yes, that was my point; VincentASM's translation made it seem like the formula changed to damage x3.

In Nishiki's picture, where do you think they are? It doesn't look like either Hoshido or Nohr to me.

Looks beautiful though, and maybe this is just me, but also a bit more modern than other Fire Emblem games.