Thane's guide to basic Fire Emblem Fates kanji

Thane

剣 = つるぎ、ケン = sword, blade

槍 = やり、ソウ、ショウ = spear, lance

斧 = おの、フ = axe, hatchet

刀 = かたな、そり、トウ = sword, blade (katana)

薙刀 = なぎなた (薙 = な、なぎ、テイ、チ = mow down)

金棒 = かなぼう = mace (金 = かね、キン、コン = gold、棒 = ボウ = rod, stick, cane)

弓 = ゆみ, キュウ= bow, archery

May I also add some things?

暗器 (あんき - Anki): Hidden weapon

手裏剣 (しゅりけん): Shuriken

竜石 (りゅうせき - Ryūseki): Dragonstone

和弓 (わきゅう - Wakyū): Japanese bow

魔道書 (まどうしょ - Madōsho): Tome (Alternatively, "magic" in general can also be called 魔道 or 魔法, depends on the context)

Note that some of these pronunciations come from Wikipedia, both FE wikis and some other sources because they're not on any dictionary, so they may not be 100% accurate.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May I also add some things?

暗器 (あんき - Anki): Hidden weapon

手裏剣 (しゅりけん): Shuriken

竜石 (りゅうせき - Ryūseki): Dragonstone

和弓 (わきゅう - Wakyū): Japanese bow

魔道書 (まどうしょ - Madōsho): Tome (Alternatively, "magic" in general can also be called 魔道 or 魔法, depends on the context)

Note that some of these pronunciations come from Wikipedia, both FE wikis and some other sources because they're not on any dictionary, so they may not be 100% accurate.

Thank you kindly!

Also, as it says in the OP, if the structure of my post is bad (which comes from multiple edits and a lot of work), I'll try to fix it. But as long as people understand the basic structure, it should be fine, right?

Edit: never mind, updated the structure anyway. Tell me if it has improved.

Edited by Thane

Regarding the Training Room, that was the best I could make out of the terrible font and low quality, I put placeholder "Renseiya 練成屋" but then realized, with the hammer logo and such, it is logically 鍊成屋 (Also said "Renseiya", but means forge... the first kanji is an obscure one)

So apologies for that. I will correct it on the scan too, but it is "Forge" : )

For lottery room, it is written クジ引き屋 (kujibikiya) The kanji for kuji is written in katakana, but would look like 籤 (a total mess of a kanji), probably why they went with the katakana.

EDIT: 薙刀 is okay to write as Naginata even in English, as it is a recognized weapon (like how Katana is sword)

If you feel your post still may be disorderly and gets long, make a table of contents with easy search terms, as you would see in a FAQ. For instance:

Table of Contents

- 1.) Weapons [WPN]

---*then down at the weapon section*

[WPN] >--put this same box at the top so someone can just enter WPN into the Ctrl + F box to find it : )

Just a suggestion of course!

Also, speaking of FAQs, I happened to find my Awakening Translation FAQ, so I will be sifting through it to see what may be relevant to IF and such to post here.

Edited by Kirokan

Regarding the Training Room, that was the best I could make out of the terrible font and low quality, I put placeholder "Renseiya 練成屋" but then realized, with the hammer logo and such, it is logically 鍊成屋 (Also said "Renseiya", but means forge... the first kanji is an obscure one)

I think 錬 and are interchangeable in "rensei" (I don't think I've seen 鍊 before), and FE has even switched between the first two over the years (see http://i.imgur.com/8WNuX77.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/FuBjBpA.jpg). Regardless, using 成/成 like that is indeed nonstandard as it usually means training, but it's seen somewhat regularly in fantasy settings for forging/transmutation (eg Fullmetal Alchemist's "Human transmutation" is "人体錬成", and "錬成窯" is a furnace used for synthesis in Final Fantasy XI), or so I'm led to believe.

Edited by egobarrier

I think 錬 and are interchangeable in "rensei" (I don't think I've seen 鍊 before), and FE has even switched between the first two over the years (see http://i.imgur.com/8WNuX77.jpg and http://i.imgur.com/FuBjBpA.jpg). Regardless, using 成/成 like that is indeed nonstandard as it usually means training, but it's seen somewhat regularly in fantasy settings for forging/transmutation (eg Fullmetal Alchemist's "Human transmutation" is "人体錬成", and "錬成窯" is a furnace used for synthesis in Final Fantasy XI), or so I'm led to believe.

Ah, thank you for showing me that. Interesting, so I suppose they are interchangeable. I could not recall what the Japanese word for "Forge" was in previous games, so that was very helpful. I am glad to hear they are interchangeable. : ) Regardless fixed from Training Room to Forge!

So, Thane, use 錬成屋 as it appears in the game : ) (As it looks like it uses the 金 radical rather than 糸 radical this time around, like it was in FE9)

post-7242-0-61183500-1433544914_thumb.png

Edited by Kirokan

I could've sworn I saw "飛刀" somewhere, literally "flying sword/knife" but I guess for us it could be "throwing dagger"

I love how my brain is wired to make me read some of the kanji characters in Mandarin Chinese.

Heh! Same here. At least half the time the kanji sounds similar when they read it in kanon...or onyomi...I think....so many rules.

Edited by IGdood

For lottery room, it is written クジ引き屋 (kujibikiya) The kanji for kuji is written in katakana, but would look like 籤 (a total mess of a kanji), probably why they went with the katakana.

EDIT: 薙刀 is okay to write as Naginata even in English, as it is a recognized weapon (like how Katana is sword)

If you feel your post still may be disorderly and gets long, make a table of contents with easy search terms, as you would see in a FAQ. For instance:

Table of Contents

- 1.) Weapons [WPN]

---*then down at the weapon section*

[WPN] >--put this same box at the top so someone can just enter WPN into the Ctrl + F box to find it : )

Just a suggestion of course!

Also, speaking of FAQs, I happened to find my Awakening Translation FAQ, so I will be sifting through it to see what may be relevant to IF and such to post here.

Thank you, I've done as you suggested and added the lottery. With the more refined structure of the post, I must admit it's shaping up nicely.

I've been thinking about doing the terrain later, as well as fill up some more general words. Suggestions are always welcome.

I have a few suggestions.

A bunch of people who refer to this guide will probably only be interested in checking translations for the essential words (such as menu options, weapon/item names, objectives, etc.) and will not bother sifting through all of the dialogue where word choice is much more varied. On that note, it may be useful to bold the readings that are most likely to appear for any given kanji. For example, you mention that the kunyomi is rarely used for iron and silver, so bold てつ and ぎん, while bolding はがね for steel since in this case the kunyomi is used.

For kunyomi readings that are part of a verb or adjective stem, it's helpful to include the non-kanji part in parentheses to provide some context. For example, kunyomi readings for 行 could include い(く) and おこな(う), 暖 could be あたた(かい), etc.

You might want to start a section for very common conversational words (for short snippets of dialogue that are less painful to read). I'll start with some pronouns:

I: 私 (watashi, or atashi for females), 僕 (boku - male), 俺 (ore - male)

You: お前 (omae), 貴様 (kisama - derogatory), 手前 (temae - derogatory and usually written/pronounced in kana as てめぇ or something similar)

He: 彼 (kare)

She: 彼女 (kanojo)

Any of the above can be made plural by adding -達 (tachi) or -ら

Edited by Bovinian

I have a few suggestions.

A bunch of people who refer to this guide will probably only be interested in checking translations for the essential words (such as menu options, weapon/item names, objectives, etc.) and will not bother sifting through all of the dialogue where word choice is much more varied. On that note, it may be useful to bold the readings that are most likely to appear for any given kanji. For example, you mention that the kunyomi is rarely used for iron and silver, so bold てつ and ぎん, while bolding はがね for steel since in this case the kunyomi is used.

For kunyomi readings that are part of a verb or adjective stem, it's helpful to include the non-kanji part in parentheses to provide some context. For example, kunyomi readings for 行 could include い(く) and おこな(う), 暖 could be あたた(かい), etc.

You might want to start a section for very common conversational words (for short snippets of dialogue that are less painful to read). I'll start with some pronouns:

I: 私 (watashi, or atashi for females), 僕 (boku - male), 俺 (ore - male)

You: お前 (omae), 貴様 (kisama - derogatory), 手前 (temae - derogatory and usually written/pronounced in kana as てめぇ or something similar)

He: 彼 (kare)

She: 彼女 (kanojo)

Any of the above can be made plural by adding -達 (tachi) or -ら

Aye, I'm well aware of that. The thing is I'm afraid it'll confuse people or just clog the simple layout that we (now) have.

I was thinking about adding pronouns, I might add them in "key words" later. As for conversational words, I've already started with the ones we know will show up, but a list of common words can be made very, very long indeed.

Thanks everyone for your hard work !

Thane, you could use the spoiler balise or a smaller size, it would make it easier to read :)

also inochi (命) also means life.

I'll try to find some Key words linked to the plot

友人 = yuujin = friend

友(達) = tomodachi = friend

運命 = fate
敵 = teki = enemy

愛 = ai = love
憎しみ = nikushimi = hatred

い= kirai = hate

生きる=ikiru = live

る = umareru = be born

る = sodateru = raise (children)

平和 = heiwa = peace

栄え= Sacae=glory

EDIT : Did you forget to tanslate Naginata or was it on purpose ?

Edited by Luxian

Well I had complaints about the font before so I tried making it larger. Are you saying I should make the text smaller? I'm always open to suggestions so we can make this a smoother ride for all of us non-Japanese speakers.

Those are some handy-dandy words right there, and I'm sure they'll show up, so I might add them in the key words part...or the general. I swear I had a logical reason behind splitting those two up.

Oh, it's alright then... It's just that I'm so lazy that I don't want to scroll down such a long post, so it'd be better to keep it big then for japanese learners... But the spoiler balise could help you make post more compact, It would be easier to directly get to one of the parts.

Haha ! Maybe General are about commands and Key words about the plot ?

If ever I find any other words, I'll send them to you ;)

Edited by Luxian

Thank you so much for this! Now I can stalk... I mean keep an eye on the game more easily!

Some more weapon phrases that might show up

長巻 = literally long scroll/wrapping, but means Nagamaki, which is a sword-staff, or a sword with an extremely long handle.

While the Oni class uses maces, I feel they might throw in actual traditional Japanese clubs such as the 金棒 (Kanabo, or golden/metal stick) edit: saw you had that already and the 鉄棒 (Tetsubo, or steel stick)

And the eastern mages uses fans right? We might see 鉄扇 (Tessen, or steel fan) in use.

Edited by IGdood

Learning Kanji is crucial to making an impressive 8-character weapon name :p

Indeed! I should add awesome kanji like "shadow" and "justice" just to make it sound suitably hammy.

Indeed! I should add awesome kanji like "shadow" and "justice" just to make it sound suitably hammy.

Justice (正義, seigi) has been in literally every line of dialogue Harold has had so far.

Clearly a word of utmost significance

This is definitely very helpful, but I am absolutely horrible at reading Japanese. 3 years ago I told myself to learn the language so that I could play games early and play games that never make it over here. 3 years later and I barely know my Katakana and Hiragana. I really need to stop being lazy and get back to studying.

This is definitely very helpful, but I am absolutely horrible at reading Japanese. 3 years ago I told myself to learn the language so that I could play games early and play games that never make it over here. 3 years later and I barely know my Katakana and Hiragana. I really need to stop being lazy and get back to studying.

Pace yourself. Don't think that you need to know everything within a small window of time. I'm still iffy on Katakana and I've been taking Japanese for 2 years. I can read individual characters just fine but it takes a little bit more time to recognize full words since some words that are 2 words in another language that is one word in Japanese and I find it hard to where to "stop" so I actually get what the word is.

Edited by Magician Lugh

Maybe you could put in the kanji for some of the revealed classes like Pegasus Warrior (天馬武者) and Oni (鬼人)?

I've been thinking about doing that, actually. I started with the preparation menu tonight though, and I'll need some professional help for what's in the top left corner, as well as for it says button R does, since both words contain kanji I've never seen and couldn't find in a kanji dictionary.