General US Politics

Ansem

16 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

that Wiesel book, Night. Primary source accounts tie in well to the lengthy WW2 chapters of middle school/high school history classes since English and History have complementary lesson plans. 

Yeah, the only thing that could be considered "controversial" by the conservatives was when one of the camp's supervisors moved everyone  around so he can have some alone time with an woman. The author saw her topless and the supervisor had him whipped in front of everyone, IIRC.

The rest of that book is an  pretty chilling read, though.

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas has a garbage government lol, once California gets housing figured out it'll probably be the best state in the union. They just passed a bill to phase out gas cars by 2035.

Anyway, Joe Biden had a crazy amazing speech around 15 minutes from my house, alongside MD gubernatorial candidate wes moore:

highlights thread:

(it's a thread, so keep clicking down to see the stuff he's saying)

Edited by Lord Raven

12 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

They just passed a bill to phase out gas cars by 2035.

Yeah, that's an bit of an dealbreaker unless I start seeing more charging stations around town. They're great for the environment and all, but the infrastructure doesn't really exists everywhere and it's a lot faster to fill up an gas tank than it is to charge those things.

Of course, that deadline is around 13 years from now; so it's kind of hard to predict what will happen, outside of an ban on selling used cars.

15 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

once California gets housing figured out it'll probably be the best state in the union

I kind of doubt if the rent inflation will actually end if there's enough people willing to keep paying into it.

4 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Yeah, that's an bit of an dealbreaker unless I start seeing more charging stations around town. They're great for the environment and all, but the infrastructure doesn't really exists everywhere and it's a lot faster to fill up an gas tank than it is to charge those things.

That's why it's 2035 and not 2025. Infrastructure will be built very quickly since now there is will, and that's before we get into how California is trying to *lead* us into the country.

I think they're planning on banning gas cars by 2030.

4 hours ago, Armchair General said:

kind of doubt if the rent inflation will actually end if there's enough people willing to keep paying into it.

People gotta live somewhere. You mostly need more housing. NIMBYism is a huge issue in California.

46 minutes ago, Lord Raven said:

I think they're planning on banning gas cars by 2030.

Uh for any of the non-californians who have not heard anything about this news allow me to clarify: they're going to ban the SALE of NEW gas cars starting in 2035. You're still allowed to drive your existing gas guzzler past 2035 for as long as you like. You're allowed to buy a car in another state and then drive it home to register with the DMV. No one is going to come to your house and confiscate your car, that is Republican fear-mongering straight out of the "they're coming to take our Guns" playbook. And I haven't heard any proposal of banning the sale of used cars. That is something I would not support. You're talking about shutting down an entire industry. A very important resource for low income workers that have neither the credit score nor money in the bank for a brand new car. A lot of Californians hop from junker car to junker car to make ends meet. Heck some of them do it because they're real gear heads that enjoy the regular maintenance.

If you want people to switch to electric, ensure that they're the most affordable option. Maybe have a government grant program where they pay a one or two thousand dollar down payment to anybody making the switch. Or encourage the production of conversion kits so you can make your existing car into an electric. That's what I wish I could do with my car, but I asked Kia about it and they were like "uhh yeah we don't do that sorry"

2 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Uh for any of the non-californians who have not heard anything about this news allow me to clarify: they're going to ban the SALE of NEW gas cars starting in 2035. You're still allowed to drive your existing gas guzzler past 2035 for as long as you like. You're allowed to buy a car in another state and then drive it home to register with the DMV. No one is going to come to your house and confiscate your car, that is Republican fear-mongering straight out of the "they're coming to take our Guns" playbook. And I haven't heard any proposal of banning the sale of used cars. That is something I would not support. You're talking about shutting down an entire industry. A very important resource for low income workers that have neither the credit score nor money in the bank for a brand new car. A lot of Californians hop from junker car to junker car to make ends meet. Heck some of them do it because they're real gear heads that enjoy the regular maintenance.

If you want people to switch to electric, ensure that they're the most affordable option. Maybe have a government grant program where they pay a one or two thousand dollar down payment to anybody making the switch. Or encourage the production of conversion kits so you can make your existing car into an electric. That's what I wish I could do with my car, but I asked Kia about it and they were like "uhh yeah we don't do that sorry"

Rather than making everyone go electric, I'd rather downplay the predominant role cars have in society. Everyone on the world being expected to have their personal transport method when you can share with buses and trains and the like seems absolutely ridiculous to me. And I've spent most my life in countries and cities that aren't majorly car focused! By far that was my least favorite thing about Saudi Arabia. I couldn't walk anywhere without finding myself fenced up against a motorway that required fifteen minutes diversion just to get to the other side (if it's even crossable at all).

12 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

That's why it's 2035 and not 2025. Infrastructure will be built very quickly since now there is will, and that's before we get into how California is trying to *lead* us into the country.

Yeah, but I still have my doubts about it, though.  Granted, it doesn't take much to build an charging station; but the main problems that I'm seeing is that the demand for them can easily outrun the number of stations that they are and you can't really install them at your home without paying around 2 grand for the installation fee. But we'll see in around 20 years from now.

11 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

No one is going to come to your house and confiscate your car, that is Republican fear-mongering straight out of the "they're coming to take our Guns" playbook. And I haven't heard any proposal of banning the sale of used cars. That is something I would not support. You're talking about shutting down an entire industry

That was mostly an joke.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Rather than making everyone go electric, I'd rather downplay the predominant role cars have in society. Everyone on the world being expected to have their personal transport method when you can share with buses and trains and the like seems absolutely ridiculous to me. And I've spent most my life in countries and cities that aren't majorly car focused! By far that was my least favorite thing about Saudi Arabia. I couldn't walk anywhere without finding myself fenced up against a motorway that required fifteen minutes diversion just to get to the other side (if it's even crossable at all).

The bad thing about mass transit is that you can't really take an lot of stuff with you. Like say, an week's worth of groceries. It also doesn't run everywhere within my city, I'm just lucky enough to live on the street where there's an bus stop. You're also on an very tight schedule if you're transferring between several buses and if you've missed one, you're 30 minutes late. 

Sure, you can add more routes or buses and watch the fares go up from declining ridership. Even if we go back in history to when people where riding horses or even bikes, it still illustrates the issue that an lot of people need to be able to travel several miles at an moment's notice just to make an living.

2 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Yeah, but I still have my doubts about it, though.  Granted, it doesn't take much to build an charging station; but the main problems that I'm seeing is that the demand for them can easily outrun the number of stations that they are and you can't really install them at your home without paying around 2 grand for the installation fee. But we'll see in around 20 years from now.

That was mostly an joke.

The bad thing about mass transit is that you can't really take an lot of stuff with you. Like say, an week's worth of groceries. It also doesn't run everywhere within my city, I'm just lucky enough to live on the street where there's an bus stop. You're also on an very tight schedule if you're transferring between several buses and if you've missed one, you're 30 minutes late. 

Sure, you can add more routes or buses and watch the fares go up from declining ridership. Even if we go back in history to when people where riding horses or even bikes, it still illustrates the issue that an lot of people need to be able to travel several miles at an moment's notice just to make an living.

Well that's the problem. Most cities aren't built around mass public transit. People are basically forced to spend tonnes of money on their personal transport vehicle that kills hundreds of thousands of people a year and poisons the atmosphere (for the moment at least, and even for this century at the least, despite ambitious plans). And because everyone has one it doesn't even result in any one getting anywhere has you end up with major traffic in grid locked roads. Mass transit of course couldn't work everywhere, particularly rural mountainous regions, but cities would be better off being completely pedestrianized imao.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Rather than making everyone go electric, I'd rather downplay the predominant role cars have in society.

Hey man we're seventy to a hundred years late to that conversation. LA's streets, its suburbs were drawn by car companies, gas companies and the politicians working under them, and I'd wager other mega cities aren't too different. The only people and businesses forcibly moved elsewhere in the name of transit projects were for the the freeways. Try paying those land costs now in 2022 dollars, California is the fifth largest world economy. There's a definite push for Mass Transit projects throughout California, but expect stiff competition if you're going to be a champion of them. Pushing for electric vehicles still makes a ton of money for car companies that manufacture them, and that's the compromise we've landed on. More cars.

If you ever meet somebody who's in a position to build a mega city with the help of no special interests, then by all means pass on that advice. 

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

that kills hundreds of thousands of people a year

This is technically true, but there really isn't much of an fix for it. Sure, an law can be passed for installing an speed governor that's set to around 80 mph. I would say the same for ignition interlocks, but certain brands of mouthwash will trigger an false positive. As for the rest, I really don't know. Sometimes it's from people not paying attention or just panicking; other times, it's caused by environmental factors.

And because everyone has one it doesn't even result in any one getting anywhere has you end up with major traffic in grid locked roads

What happened to finding an alternate route?

but cities would be better off being completely pedestrianized imao.

This might actually work, though. Might put retailers in an really weird spot, though.

7 hours ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

Hey man we're seventy to a hundred years late to that conversation. LA's streets, its suburbs were drawn by car companies, gas companies and the politicians working under them, and I'd wager other mega cities aren't too different. The only people and businesses forcibly moved elsewhere in the name of transit projects were for the the freeways. Try paying those land costs now in 2022 dollars, California is the fifth largest world economy. There's a definite push for Mass Transit projects throughout California, but expect stiff competition if you're going to be a champion of them. Pushing for electric vehicles still makes a ton of money for car companies that manufacture them, and that's the compromise we've landed on. More cars.

If you ever meet somebody who's in a position to build a mega city with the help of no special interests, then by all means pass on that advice. 

And that puts me off ever considering moving to America even more than the gun violence.

6 hours ago, Armchair General said:

This is technically true, but there really isn't much of an fix for it. Sure, an law can be passed for installing an speed governor that's set to around 80 mph. I would say the same for ignition interlocks, but certain brands of mouthwash will trigger an false positive. As for the rest, I really don't know. Sometimes it's from people not paying attention or just panicking; other times, it's caused by environmental factors.

Limiting cars is my idea.  I also wouldn't mind making people retake driving tests every few years. I don't know what it's like in the states, but in Ireland you can take a driving pass a driving test at 18 and then drive unchecked for another fifty or so years without any further investigation of driving ability. It's pretty much a given that anyone who hasn't immediately spent time preparing for their driving test would fail it if tested on the spot. Self driving cars might help in this regard at least, as humans have set the bar very low for safe driving. Much as I'd want a future built around trains and bicycles, I reckon the future will be one of self driving electric uber cars, where the average person actually doesn't know how to drive but calls up a car like a Amsterdam bicycle whenever they need to go somewhere. Still won't help gridlocked traffic though. The only way to get around that while keeping cars is to built more lanes and gradually terraform more of the planet for habitation of motor vehicles.

Edited by Jotari

On 8/28/2022 at 10:44 PM, Jotari said:

The only way to get around that while keeping cars is to built more lanes and gradually terraform more of the planet for habitation of motor vehicles.

No, more lanes won't fix it. We need way better driving standards and non-driving options.

Assholes won't stop driving on the left and staying in the merge lanes, and nobody in America likes to keep distance from the car in front of them OR let anyone change lanes outside of rural areas

It doesn't really matter anyway, thank god there's a US state trying to set some sort of green standard.

Also @Dr. Tarrasque how do you feel about the messaging the last few weeks?

Edited by Lord Raven

2 hours ago, Lord Raven said:

Also @Dr. Tarrasque how do you feel about the messaging the last few weeks?

There's been improvement. The White House tweeting the amount received in loan forgiveness in response to Republican politicians bashing it for students is the kind of shit they need to do more of.

Biden calling MAGA ideology semi-fascist also works and it was great to see conservatives getting triggered by it since it's the goddamn truth.

9 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Well, there's an warning for Californians not to charge their electric vehicles during the evening because of predicted strain it would have during the ongoing heat wave. 

Can't say that it's an coincidence

It's a coincidence. It is the exact same energy conservation PSA we're issued every year around this season if there's a heat wave or an ongoing brush fire. We're suffering the former, let's hope the latter isn't coming too.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/31/democrat-peltola-beats-palin-in-alaska-special-election-upset-00054428

Well, it happened. At least to finish the late Young's term, Democrats hold Alaska's House Seat.

Wow. Trump-backed candidates are getting their asses kicked ahead of the midterms. Ranked choice voting huh? Must really be something.