QOTD IV!! 884: Who should be next QOTD master and why, or should it die?

The timeless classics, such as the original Super Mario Brothers or The Legend of Zelda. Me and my dad still play those today, so that MUST mean they held up well :)

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you are like the only person i've ever seen to say that the original castlevania has aged well, what the fuck

I dunno why no one else says it, but it's actually one of the most impressive platformers of all time, considering its mechanics and how the game's design is built entirely around them, faltering in only one place at most. The only game to exceed it from the same series is Rondo of Blood, also aged excellently.

I dunno why no one else says it, but it's actually one of the most impressive platformers of all time, considering its mechanics and how the game's design is built entirely around them, faltering in only one place at most. The only game to exceed it from the same series is Rondo of Blood, also aged excellently.

i feel like it's very outdated mechanically, even if it's designed well around those mechanics. i think it lacks a lot of modern sensibilities and fluidity in a way other games from around the same time (contra!!) don't

edit: ftr i've never finished the original castlevania precisely because i get frustrated with its (i feel) outdated mechanics, so obviously take it with a grain of salt

edit 2: though maybe i'm just bad at it

Edited by fuccboi

it's very outdated mechanically, even if it's designed well around those mechanics. i feel it lacks a lot of modern sensibilities and fluidity in a way other games from the around the same time (contra!!) don't

But why is it outdated? Because the movements are deliberate? That's a completely conscious design choice, and it doesn't hamper the way the game's played at all. In fact, as mentioned previously, everything in the game is designed so that you can clear it all perfectly within those limitations, and that's why it's so clever! While it may not be as obviously "fluid" as something like Contra (with less limited mechanics), take note on how to play the stages most efficiently; you will find there that the stages ask of you for a certain level of locomotion, and if timed and applied properly, it's a very fluidly progressing game. A very good and early example of this, more obvious than the first stage, is the one block of the second stage before the death traps, with the pits and the Medusa Heads, where the wrong approach will lead to damage and/or death, but the right timing and approach allows you to make it past the pits safely while striking all the Medusa Heads.

The hero's movements are deliberate, yes, and this might not appeal to you or to a great deal of people. Sometimes the game might even feel restrictive. But if you look past that, you'll see the game is nothing short of genius.

EDIT: Oh I didn't see your edit. Whoops.

Edited by Nightmare

you are like the only person i've ever seen to say that the original castlevania has aged well, what the fuck

i played it for the first time in 2013 on the 3ds virtual console and i enjoyed it a lot and feel like it's aged just fine

it has weird design choices but they're almost all deliberate and some of them are actually really interesting and good

i could write more but i didn't even answer the question yet

mega man 4

castlevania 3 also

BANJO KAZOOIE

I feel like it just really nailed 3D platforming, especially compared to others at the time.

In almost every world in the game, right from when you drop in you can just pick a direction and go and you'll find something of interest. The game doesn't tell you what you want to be doing like picking a star in Mario 64 or Galaxy, you just wander and you'll find things to do. Only big deal breaker is it being a collect-a-thon if you liked more linear games, but I still feel like Kazooie hits the sweet spot for collect-a-thons.

The worlds are appropriately big and small at the same time, even for a game that has flying in it you're never really "cruising" too long before finding something else. It only really gets thin when you're about to get everything done in a world, and you don't even need to clear everything if you just want to move on.

I even feel like Tooie went "too big" and lost the really nice focus Kazooie had. It starts you off with mostly everything from the previous game, so to go "bigger" it added a lot of things that can be hit or miss.

The dialogue is one of a kind in the genre, the game is just filled with banter that make the worlds feel like worlds on top of being big playgrounds.

heroes of might and magic 3

every now and again I get the urge to revisit it and it's always super fun

i keep thinking it'll finally be too outdated someday but APPARENTLY NOT

i have similar feelings about donkey kong country 1 and 2

QOTD IV!! 683: Tell us of a game that has aged really well.

Pretty much all Nintendo games from the SNES onward. I use my Wii U as an "aged really well" machine for all the classics I missed.

If you gave more specific criteria I could probably narrow it down.