Super Mario Maker

kingddd

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest change is that you can now unlock every single element set per 15 mins instead of 9 days. So no need to extend the Wii U clock system.

I downloaded the patch, have been editing my course for over three hours, and I still have only the basic tools plus the Mystery Shroom...

On the plus side, my course (which I'd describe as either basic or minimalistic) has apparently stumped a lot of people, as only one person out of fifty-six has managed to complete it (apart from myself, and one of my brothers, who I used as my guinea pig tester).

I got my copy! :D I already have two ideas for levels I want to make. One called Daniel's Level for my brother that...well, died last month, and a level for Ike, where coins spell out phrases such as "We like Ike!" and "Fight for your friends!" and such. <3

I could do a Luigi-based one too though, huh? I'll make coins spell "Luigi number 1!" and put Boos in it! Luigi IS a ghost hunter. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

I downloaded the patch, have been editing my course for over three hours, and I still have only the basic tools plus the Mystery Shroom...

On the plus side, my course (which I'd describe as either basic or minimalistic) has apparently stumped a lot of people, as only one person out of fifty-six has managed to complete it (apart from myself, and one of my brothers, who I used as my guinea pig tester).

I've already unlocked about 7 sets already.

Use this guide.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805618-super-mario-maker/72471906

so far my biggest complaint is really the lack of checkpoint feature. Some people's designs are just too much that a checkpoint is near mandatory for some levels and the lack of it makes their levels frustrating. Mario Bros 1 had a checkpoint feature.

Any sort of omission is comprehensible.

Well, at least thanks to the internet they could add some extra tool for making checkpoints available by a minor patch, ;)

P.S: This makes me remember when Code Name: S.T.E.A.M had no button to make enemy turns run faster, a quite criticised negative point about the game (then, soon after its release, it was added such option, hahaha!).

Edited by Erdall

So since I unlocked the Waluigi costume in the Easy 100 Mario Maker challenge, I was wondering if you guys also unlocked Waluigi, if it's completely random as to whose unlocked, or if it's restricted to non-amiibo costumes only.

It's random. A friend of mine got Rosalina and coin block. He wanted to get the FE characters.

I unlocked Ike...because I used my Amiibo. XD

But I've made my first couple of courses! The first one is the one you're prompted to finish the first time you boot up the game, of course, and the second is my Ike-themed level, Level Ike! I'll post the code in the other thread. It's not a tough course, but I wouldn't say it's easy either. ;)

Haha, I wound up with Bowser's costume when I did that one, so it was Bowser beating himself while the Toad there was like "Eek! Bowser?! I thought you took our princess to another castle!" lol

so far my biggest complaint is really the lack of checkpoint feature. Some people's designs are just too much that a checkpoint is near mandatory for some levels and the lack of it makes their levels frustrating. Mario Bros 1 had a checkpoint feature.

So what happens if you need to pass an obstacle at the end of a level by using an item only acquired at the beginning? Having a checkpoint would then make that level unbeatable.

So what happens if you need to pass an obstacle at the end of a level by using an item only acquired at the beginning? Having a checkpoint would then make that level unbeatable.

Then use both (the keyful item or the checkpoint) correctly.

Hard thing is that the SYSTEM itself only checks as a properly created level by only reaching the flag itself ... and that's it.

A good idea could be to create checkpoints by alternate spaces (you know, when you go undeground by gettin inside a green pipe, that's like a second phase of the entire level itself) Make quite long the phirst phase, then the second one begins just right there, :) A level with a checkpoint between those kinds of phases, you know.

Anyone know what Toad says to Peach?

GREAT question! LoL!

"Toad: The princess is in another castle!

Peach: Uh ... I'm here.

Toad: OH! Is that so!? FINE! DAMN FINE! I WAS ALREADY TIRED OF THIS F****ING JOB, always reporting you're captured and HERE you are! 30 DAMN-YEARS!!!"

Peach: ... Maybe I should confess to everyone that I am his moth ...

Miyamoto: SSSSSSSH sssh sh sh sh sh sh sh ... sssh! Let it be a secret, don't ruin it or the fans will be pissed off forever."

Edited by Erdall

or you could have placed that another of said item beside the checkpoint? You have an editor for a reason.

Edited by kingddd

or you could have placed that another of said item beside the checkpoint? You have an editor for a reason.

Biggest problem is when it comes to the system, which only checks properly created levels when you reach the flag.

Pretty easy for those who plan to add such useful item before the checkpoint. And specially if it is placed in wherever you cannot reach after passing it (like in a high mountain, to put it in that way).

Like I mentioned before, better divide the whole level in two 'sub-phases' ... or make the key item detectable AFTER the checkpoint itself, not before it, :>

Edited by Erdall

Biggest problem is when it comes to the system, which only checks properly created levels when you reach the flag.

Pretty easy for those who plan to add such useful item before the checkpoint. And specially if it is placed in wherever you cannot reach after passing it (like in a high mountain, to put it in that way).

Like I mentioned before, better divide the whole level in two 'sub-phases' ... or make the key item detectable AFTER the checkpoint itself, not before it, :>

the thing is if you do any of that, you're pretty much doing the simple thing called bad level design.

the thing is if you do any of that, you're pretty much doing the simple thing called bad level design.

And let some trollish people do their worst. That's my point.

As a developer, I wouldn't let that happen.

For now let's see if they handle this somehow.

Nintendo already handled the problem of "required power-up unreachable behind checkpoint" by not including checkpoints at all.

Alternatively, they could have made it a requirement to beat your course with power-ups disabled, as all courses in all Mario games can be beaten as Small Mario. But then again, sometimes it's fun to play a level that requires using a power-up to its full extent. I think the current system works best.

BTW, how long are the sample levels, compared to "standard" Mario level length?

Edited by Zera

Nintendo already handled the problem of "required power-up unreachable behind checkpoint" by not including checkpoints at all.

Alternatively, they could have made it a requirement to beat your course with power-ups disabled, as all courses in all Mario games can be beaten as Small Mario. But then again, sometimes it's fun to play a level that requires using a power-up to its full extent. I think the current system works best.

BTW, how long are the sample levels, compared to "standard" Mario level length?

most of them take 10 to 30 seconds. Not very long. They're more for giving you ideas.