Super Mario Maker

kingddd

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's probably more to it than that!

It's probably more down to them struggling to make slopes work with the grid-based approach.

Basic slopes are easy to implement in a 2D game. Super Mario Flash 2 is grid based and allows slopes. Bangai-O Spirits and Missile Fury are both grid based and allow slopes. My guess is that Nintendo doesn't want to give players the full tool set so they can continue selling 2D Mario games, which is a bunch of hogwash. I buy games for fun, high quality levels made by people who are paid to make them. It's the main reason I bought Bangai-O Spirits even though Missile Fury has a level editor.

Honestly I don't expect Nintendo to support the SK amiibo beyond generic uses like in Hyrule Warriors. It's a third party amiibo made at an external factory, I think all the effort to using it will be squarely placed at YCG.

Basic slopes are easy to implement in a 2D game. Super Mario Flash 2 is grid based and allows slopes. Bangai-O Spirits and Missile Fury are both grid based and allow slopes. My guess is that Nintendo doesn't want to give players the full tool set so they can continue selling 2D Mario games, which is a bunch of hogwash. I buy games for fun, high quality levels made by people who are paid to make them. It's the main reason I bought Bangai-O Spirits even though Missile Fury has a level editor.

Well of course when they've hardcoded it all it's possible. But Mario Maker's gonna be based on dynamic and adaptable rules. So maybe not necessarily the grid based nature of it but certainly the dynamic nature of the situations the game code needs to be able to handle.

You have to think of it from the point of view that for every new item they include, they have to program the behaviour of how every other item in the game interacts with that thing. With slopes, that probably didn't seem worth the effort (e.g what happens if a restrained chain chomp lands on a slope?)

You have to think of it from the point of view that for every new item they include, they have to program the behaviour of how every other item in the game interacts with that thing. With slopes, that probably didn't seem worth the effort (e.g what happens if a restrained chain chomp lands on a slope?)

Developers typically use this magical thing called a "physics engine", that dictates how all objects interact with terrain on a basic level. It can be hard-coded and custom for your game, or you can purchase a license for a pre-built engine (this is common in AAA games). Some game development environments like Unity have built-in support for polygon collision and such. Once you have a physics engine, unique AI for enemies and objects is pretty much the only thing you need to worry about. A round object on a slope (like a chain chomp) would be extremely easy to implement. The only unique interaction I can think of would be the chomp sliding down the slope during contact as it bounces around, and that would already be taken care of by the physics engine.

Well of course when they've hardcoded it all it's possible. But Mario Maker's gonna be based on dynamic and adaptable rules. So maybe not necessarily the grid based nature of it but certainly the dynamic nature of the situations the game code needs to be able to handle.

I think it's already possible to include diagonal moving platforms. I can't remember which video it was, but I remember noticing it. So, implementing slopes on the actual ground shouldn't have been hard. It might even be possible to simulate slops by placing moving platforms right above the ground and using rails to stop them from moving. I don't know if that can actually be done though, but it sounds like it should be possible.

I personally think the problem is the compatibility transition between the 4 versions.

When I played Mario Maker at the PAX demo, you can change the engine to any specific Mario game on the fly immediately without significant consequences.

Each enemy will be replaced to that specific game's enemy. For example, the goombas from the 8bit Mario will be transformed to their proper Mario World goomba where they behaved a bit differently.

The 8 bit brick blocks will be replaced into those flipping blocks from Mario World.

etc.

Basically when you switch to a specific Mario game theme, they have to replace something. Because the original Super Mario Bros does not have any slopes, making that transition from Mario Bros 3 or World or U to the original game will be difficult because what object can they replace the slopes with? Definitely not into a random terrain or something because that would not make sense at all.

In other words, they probably want to make object replacements easier when you switch themes.

Also:

Literally every costume revealed

Edited by kingddd

Aw, the FE characters don't have unique jingles like other characters do (they all share the same one). That's no fair. :( (I was hoping Ike would get a few notes from his theme, Eternal Bond, and Robin and Lucina got some notes from some Awakening music)

Ah well, at least Ike still looks awesome even as an 8-bit sprite. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Aw, the FE characters don't have unique jingles like other characters do (they all share the same one). That's no fair. :( (I was hoping Ike would get a few notes from his theme, Eternal Bond, and Robin and Lucina got some notes from some Awakening music)

Ah well, at least Ike still looks awesome even as an 8-bit sprite. ^^

What is WORST:

No Aether = No Ike

On the other hand, the game is so seriously kickass ... that I wish it could launch for the 3DS system too, :'(

Oh well, time to wait for NX I guess ...

Mmmmh, also the newest Shovel Knight Amiibo could have some sort of participation here? Could be nice, ya know.

Edited by Erdall

I don't mind that Ike can't Aether in the game. It'd be cool if he could, but I'd imagine that giving all the Amiibo costumes a special skill would have extended development time by a lot and cost more money, so...

Edited by Anacybele

Because Dark Pit was in Smash. Waluigi isn't in the Smash roster though, and neither are several other characters in that costume list. So why couldn't Daisy be one of them? There was absolutely no reason if Waluigi could be one.

Because Dark Pit was in Smash. Waluigi isn't in the Smash roster though, and neither are several other characters in that costume list. So why couldn't Daisy be one of them? There was absolutely no reason if Waluigi could be one.

Why would Daisy be in? She was just a substitute character in a game that was Japan only.