Super Mario Maker

kingddd

Personally, I would prefer it if they dropped SMB1, SMB3, and SMW, and instead allowed for slopes and desert/ice/jungle/mountain/etc themes in NSMBU.

Edited by Zera

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that I'm limited to specific power ups is what I'm really not a big fan of. I understand entirely what the devs were going for, I just misunderstood what the idea was for the engine(s?) until recently.

The fact that I'm limited to specific power ups is what I'm really not a big fan of. I understand entirely what the devs were going for, I just misunderstood what the idea was for the engine(s?) until recently.

It's not a limitation if nothing was taken away. In fact, some elements were carried over to games that didn't originally have them. To be honest, now it sounds like you simply don't like Mario games.

It's not a limitation if nothing was taken away. In fact, some elements were carried over to games that didn't originally have them. To be honest, now it sounds like you simply don't like Mario games.

What? I'd like to use all the different power-ups in every style. It's just a bit disappointing that I can't use say the Super Leaf in styles outside the SMB3 one, or the Cape outside of SMW. Like my original examples. Nothing I said even remotely implied I didn't like Mario Games.

EDIT: Also I'd appreciate it if I could have an opinion without it meaning that I "don't understand what the devs were going for" or "simply don't like Mario games". It's a simple misunderstanding I had about the game which was cleared up several times now, and I even clarified that I was simply a bit disappointed.

Edited by Deviddo

What? I'd like to use all the different power-ups in every style. It's just a bit disappointing that I can't use say the Super Leaf in styles outside the SMB3 one, or the Cape outside of SMW.

If all the powerups and abilities were carried between all the games, it would require a substantial amount of new sprites, animation, and programming. Furthermore, it would be difficult to consolidate all four games since they have different physics.

"With this latest title, I would say things like: "It wasn't like this on Super Mario World!" Then I'd go and play Super Mario World for the first time in ages and realize that things weren't quite as I'd remembered them…" - Miyamoto, Iwata Asks (NSMBW)

Instead of multiplying developement costs, Nintendo would rather preserve the games as they originally were, which adds more gameplay variety anyways.

On another note, these are the level themes you can and can't use in Super Mario Maker...

Used Themes

Ground

Underground

Underwater

Ghost House (Not in SMB or SMB3)

Air Ship (Not in SMB or SMW)

Castle

Unused Themes

Desert (Not in SMB or SMW)

Jungle (Not in SMB or SMB3)

Ice (Not in SMB)

Mountain (Not in SMB or SMB3)

Sky (Not in SMB)

Volcano (Not in SMB, SMB3, or SMW)

On another note, these are the level themes you can and can't use in Super Mario Maker...

Used Themes

Ground

Underground

Underwater

Ghost House (Not in SMB or SMB3)

Air Ship (Not in SMB or SMW)

Castle

Except I was just watching a video that showed off an airship level made in the SMB and SMW styles.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Except I was just watching a video that showed off an airship level made in the SMW style.

I believe the phrase that I'm looking for is "You Fail".

You're reading his post wrong.

He's saying that the Airship level theme wasn't in the original SMB or SMW games, but is included for them in Mario Maker. Same applies with Ghost House.

Yeah they both did however they function a bit differently compared to one and another. In NSMB, it adds extra air time, different fireball mechanic and revealing things covered by fog etc. Mario World spin jump breaks blocks and prevents you from getting injured by specific spike obstacles.

Lol I genuinely didn't notice there was one in NSMBU. As you say, it's a different thing though. I just checked it out in the game.

I'm fairly sure I saw the SMW spin jump being used in the NSMBU style though. Or am I imagining things?

Edited by Mrs Chrom

Lol I genuinely didn't notice there was one in NSMBU. As you say, it's a different thing though. I just checked it out in the game.

I'm fairly sure I saw the SMW spin jump being used in the NSMBU style though. Or am I imagining things?

You're not.It's in the original,at least.It's easier to make some difficult,short jumps.And it's just as fun as hell to do.

You're not.It's in the original,at least.It's easier to make some difficult,short jumps.And it's just as fun as hell to do.

Yeah, I realised that. What I was wondering was if I'd imagined seeing that they'd altered Mario Maker so that the NSMBU visual style actually allows you to use the SMW spin jump (the one that breaks blocks). I was sure I'd seen that. But given that it seems to be the only example of them breaking the conformity to the original mechanics of each era, I might be mistaken.

Edited by Mrs Chrom

So out of curiousity, how many of you guys got Gold on all 80 Challenges in New Super Mario Bros. U? I want to get an idea of who on SF will be making and uploading (you have to beat your own levels before you can upload them, after all) the hardest Mario Maker levels.

I was personally able to get Gold on all 80 Challenges (I even did the Boost mode challenges solo controlling both Mario/Luigi/Toad and placing platforms at the same time). I even have a screenshot showing I got Gold in all 5 categories as my Miiverse account photo.

So out of curiousity, how many of you guys got Gold on all 80 Challenges in New Super Mario Bros. U? I want to get an idea of who on SF will be making and uploading (you have to beat your own levels before you can upload them, after all) the hardest Mario Maker levels.

I was personally able to get Gold on all 80 Challenges (I even did the Boost mode challenges solo controlling both Mario/Luigi/Toad and placing platforms at the same time). I even have a screenshot showing I got Gold in all 5 categories as my Miiverse account photo.

I never really bothered too much with the Challenge mode personally but I did hear a lot of people preferred that mode over the actual main game though. I did reach to this challenge though.

Never again will I do it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbsM93nQwA0

Edited by kingddd

If all the powerups and abilities were carried between all the games, it would require a substantial amount of new sprites, animation, and programming. Furthermore, it would be difficult to consolidate all four games since they have different physics.

Again. I understand. I'm still a bit disappointed. That is all. I get now why it's not that way, however I'm still a bit disappointed, that's it, small disappointment, at the fact that the game doesn't allow that. Because I didn't realize the physics were so different until recently. I understand that now. Do you understand what it is I'm trying to say?

EDIT: I never once (at least I hope not) implied that not allowing every power-up in every style is objectively bad, it's just a thing that I wish was available. However the game does allow plenty of other crossover elements that I've seen multiple times which is much appreciated. If it's alright with you, I'd like to be allowed to think that it'd be neat if all the powerups were allowed in all the styles without being told more or less that I'm not allowed to think that way because the developers have their reasons.

Edited by Deviddo

You had two ways to present your opinion:

1. Wouldn't it be cool if all the powerups carried between games? Connotation: Positive (^_^)

2. I'm disappointed that all the powerups carried between games. Connotation: Negative (T_T)

3. This game reminds me of Bangai-O Spirits! I NEED IT! Connotation: HYPE (O_O)

If you didn't want to imply that Nintendo did something wrong, you should have taken option 1. This has been a communication lesson by yours truly.

Edited by Zera

I never really bothered too much with the Challenge mode personally but I did hear a lot of people preferred that mode over the actual main game though. I did reach to this challenge though.

Never again will I do it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbsM93nQwA0

Really? Well, I suppose challenges like that aren't for everyone, and even the biggest 2D Mario fans may not necessarily enjoy challenges like that. I personally really enjoyed challenge mode, and found that the unique challenges there (like coins killing you, killing enemies killing you, controlling both Mario/Luigi/Toad and the Boost Mode platforms at the same time) gave the game a lot more uniqueness and innovation than a lot of people credit it for. I know I easily spent double or triple (or perhaps even more) the game time trying to get Gold on all 80 Challenges than I did getting 100% in the main story (though I enjoyed both a lot).

So, were you able to defeat that challenge or not? I can't really tell if your words mean you completed it or not.

The hardest (and last) challenge that I completed was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj5CUNbvNYM

Even though I took advantage of the ground pound height boost in all areas where I could, I still barely made the Gold Medal time because of really small slip ups that cost me quite a few seconds each.

To be fair, the GBA version of SMB3 added the cape from World, as well as a boomerang suit. Granted, you needed to possess a mythical e-Reader to actually use them, but still... it was a neat little bonus for them to do. So yeah, Nintendo definitely could have done something similar here with the power-up situation, though I do get the "preserving the era" argument. well that is until I see that there's no slopes ayyyyy lmao!

speaking of "preserving the era", my personal disappointment with the power-ups is that they didn't include some of the big ones from each respective game. No frog suit in SMB3 for water levels? No hammer bros suit for wrecking shit? NO PENGUIN SUIT FOR PENGUIN-ING?!

thank goodness they gave us that Luigi mushroom in SMB1, tho... :awesome:

For real, though, the game looks all right. Not a must-have to me, but I bet the sequel will be.

You had two ways to present your opinion:

1. Wouldn't it be cool if all the powerups carried between games? Connotation: Positive (^_^)

2. I'm disappointed that all the powerups carried between games. Connotation: Negative (T_T)

3. This game reminds me of Bangai-O Spirits! I NEED IT! Connotation: HYPE (O_O)

If you didn't want to imply that Nintendo did something wrong, you should have taken option 1. This has been a communication lesson by yours truly.

Please don't treat me like a child, I'm doing my best to explain myself here.

Are you telling me I'm not allowed to say I'm disappointed in something? Really, is this just going to be a thing with you, I'll continue to try and explain myself and you'll just continue to tell that more or less the way I feel about it is dumb?

I only complain about your complaints because your complaints are too petty to be complaints. Allow me to illustrate my point by comparing it with my own complaint.

Your complaint: I'm disappointed that one or two things are different between styles.

Your argument: Nintendo should have put in the 110% and fully consolidated styles, because... my opinion is important. (;_;)

My complaint: This level editor is a poor man's Bangai-O Spirits because you don't get slopes.

My argument: Slopes are very important to level design, which is LITERALLY the entire point of Super Mario Maker.

Super Mario Bros. 3 introduced 45° slopes to the Super Mario series, and Super Mario World introduced 22.5° slopes as well.

That is five different angles for the ground, as opposed to one. But why are they important?

Upward slopes allow the level designer to vary the height of terrain without necessarily forcing the player to jump.

Downward slopes enable Mario to slide. This lets players move faster than maximum running speed and defeat weak enemies as well. It is an inherently fun mechanic.

By combining slopes of different angles, the astute level designer can provide more varied terrain without resorting to blocks, which enables a smoother flow of movement. Thus, slopes are an important element of level design in the Super Mario series. But they are not in Super Mario Maker.

Now you may be wondering... Why? Well, I'm wondering too, and if a studio as pathetically tiny as Treasure can give me slopes, then there's no reason Nintendo can't do the same. Even Super Mario Flash 2 has slopes, and that's a fan game!

Notice that my complaint is objective and based on facts. It's practically indisputable. Yours, on the other hand, is entirely subjective. That is, of course, unless you explain precisely how consolidating the styles will objectively improve the game.

Edited by Zera

I. Okay wow. You're acting like an pompous jerk. And that's putting it lightly.

I wasn't even trying to say that my disappointment was something that needed to be changed, you literally just won't let me wish something in a video game was different without trying to make me feel terrible about it. Not only that, but

Your argument: Nintendo should have put in the 110% and fully consolidated styles, because... my opinion is important. (;_;)

My argument: Slopes are very important to level design, which is LITERALLY the entire point of Super Mario Maker.

Way to completely put words in my mouth (and make yourself seem much more composed than I am). This entire situation was a simple and very minimal complaint of mine, especially since I stated that I understood why it was the way it is after others explained it to me. I wasn't informed on how the entire game worked simply because I wasn't really keeping up with all the information posted about it, so you take that and use it to treat me like some simple whiner and nothing more. All you're doing at the moment is reading (or perhaps not reading) what I type and just taking it as, "Okay so he's still upset about that thing, time to treat him like an idiot again to boost my own ego!"

I've moved past that. All I have now is a very minimal disappointment because it's really not that big of a deal, instead, I'm upset that you continuously put words in my mouth and aim to make me look like a moron. Even after I try to explain myself to you and make you understand that it's not even a problem.

Here's a tl;dr for you just in case you don't even bother to read the above:

At the moment you're just being an asshole and putting words in my mouth.

Edited by Deviddo

I apologize for my reckless ego-boosting, but the words I put in your mouth is the message I got. There's this massive issue that SMM doesn't have slopes and is lacking many level themes, but someone's gonna state their disappointment that a couple powerups are style exclusive... That's like, if there was a world-destroying tornado outside, and you were worrying about the power going out. One of these things is far more important than the other. In any case, I'm sure we'll share some great levels. Oh yes. There will be blood. Mario's blood...