What was the last book you read?

Icemario

Sabriel is great. I loved it in middle school. I read it again in high school and didn't realize how almost... dark the trilogy is? I haven't read the prequel, Clariel, but I heard it was a little lacking, sadly.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Shadow Rising, fourth book of the Wheel of Time series. Although I stopped reading it months ago because it has an extremely slow pacing, and I've heard the next books are even worse at that. Still, the rich worldbuilding and good plot (but not so decent presentation, unfortunately) is an incentive to keep on reading.

The Shadow Rising, fourth book of the Wheel of Time series. Although I stopped reading it months ago because it has an extremely slow pacing, and I've heard the next books are even worse at that. Still, the rich worldbuilding and good plot (but not so decent presentation, unfortunately) is an incentive to keep on reading.

Yeah, however I think you will find that the payoff will be worthwhile, so keep on reading :)

Rock War by Robert Muchamore, definitely needed a light-hearted read like that after the introduction to Alex Cross and I'm eager to read the sequel now, if deliberately left a lot of plot lines loose to keep readers curious.

I've got Along Came a Spider and Jack and Jill (from the Alex Cross series) on the way to my local library so those are next, after my current two books.

• 2 weeks later...

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

This author kid is a rebel, he uses minimalist punctuation and the dialogue is really basic and vague past the first line of a conversation: you need to keep track of who's talking yourself, but that's pretty easy as you get a stronger feel for the characters' personalities.

But the simplicity grew on me; it actually began to feeling fitting for the scenario of the book.

Would recommend, a strong read.

Ya, The Road was pretty good! I heard the movie was not, however :(

I just finished Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie. It was a good end to the trilogy, but I felt like the protagonist was just a little too amazing, and almost always seemed to be in the right about everything. One of the major points in the book is that Breq in the present has a diminished capacity compared to Breq in the past-era sequences, yet even when it runs into characters who are more on the level of her more "superior" existence, they seem to be relatively lacking in competence. I don't mean that they are incompetent. Just that Breq so often seems to come out ahead.

My brother LOVES that series. I myself have only read the first one (the eye of the world), but the last 3 volumes are by Brandon Sanderson, who is one of my favorate authors of all time. (in fact, you, rapier, should just go read "the final empire" (one of his other books) right now. Things that you have said in other places have convinced me that you would love the plot.)

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

This author kid is a rebel, he uses minimalist punctuation and the dialogue is really basic and vague past the first line of a conversation: you need to keep track of who's talking yourself, but that's pretty easy as you get a stronger feel for the characters' personalities.

But the simplicity grew on me; it actually began to feeling fitting for the scenario of the book.

Would recommend, a strong read.

That is almost certainly the most depressing book i have ever read. I will never forget the last page.

As for what i have been reading recently, the last book that i have read is "foundation" by Issac Asimov. I found it OK, but not excellent. My favorite story in the last year is "the machine stops' by Forster. It was published in 1909, so it is in the public domain. You can find it here(or in several other places with different formatting): http://archive.ncsa.illinois.edu/prajlich/forster.html

Anybody who uses the Internet should read E.M. Forster's The Machine Stops. It is a chilling, short story masterpiece about the role of technology in our lives. Written in 1909, it's as relevant today as the day it was published. Forster has several prescient notions including instant messages (email!) and cinematophoes (machines that project visual images).

Sabriel by Garth Nix

Aww yiss

Sabriel is great. I loved it in middle school. I read it again in high school and didn't realize how almost... dark the trilogy is? I haven't read the prequel, Clariel, but I heard it was a little lacking, sadly.

Oh man i love love LOVE Old Kingdom. I have Clariel, and its hella good, but a different sort of tone. If you are to read it, keep an open mind. That main character has some...interesting character development. Clariel actually shines in its further world building. Gives you a pretty good look at what the Old Kingdom was like several hundred years before Sabriel's time.

As for the topic, Im rereading the Harry Potter books for the shiggles. And i got done with Prisoner of Azkaban the other day. Im in the middle of the Goblet of Fire.

Aww yiss

Oh man i love love LOVE Old Kingdom. I have Clariel, and its hella good, but a different sort of tone. If you are to read it, keep an open mind. That main character has some...interesting character development. Clariel actually shines in its further world building. Gives you a pretty good look at what the Old Kingdom was like several hundred years before Sabriel's time.

Just finished the rest of the trilogy; loved it, especially the world's take on magic, so I'll probably take a look at Clariel if I can find it. Who knows, it might be worth it for me.

Edited by Ambling Falchion

Just finished the rest of the trilogy; loved it, especially the world's take on magic, so I'll probably take a look at Clariel if I can find it. Who knows, it might be worth it for me.

Yeah it is worth checking out even if you dont find yourself loving the book (Clariel). Simply for the lore aspect.

Speaking of Garth Nix, i have a copy (signed no less!) of Newt's Emerald on its way to me. Thats not Old Kingdom but im stoked about it all the same.

My brother LOVES that series. I myself have only read the first one (the eye of the world), but the last 3 volumes are by Brandon Sanderson, who is one of my favorate authors of all time. (in fact, you, rapier, should just go read "the final empire" (one of his other books) right now. Things that you have said in other places have convinced me that you would love the plot.)

That is almost certainly the most depressing book i have ever read. I will never forget the last page.

The only book from that author that I've read was The Way of Kings. I mean, I only read the first two chapters. His style is... interesting, to say the least. The book felt like a mix of Dishonored (the first chapter) with a bit of Wheel of Time (the prologue, especially), whereas the Mistborn series, from what I've read on the synopsis, feel like the Gothic games.

He really likes to write books as if they were WRPGs I guess.

In terms of normal books/novels and the like... this one a friend made called Dream of War, I think. Granted, I'm still not done with it, but I read for "fun" so infrequently, I can't remember the last book I actually finished. (Maybe a Harry Potter one? idk)

I really liked Mistborn, thanks for the recommendation! Now I'm thinking about grabbing Elantris as well. I've got The Way of Kings here as well, so I might return to it eventually.

Man, I've got to admit I'm completely oblivious to these famous fantasy writers. I only know The Name of the Wind, Prince of Thorns (which I haven't read, don't really feel like it) and G.R.R. Martin (I've yet to see a writing style better than his). Sanderson was a new find for me even if he's been there since forever.

Edited by Rapier

I really liked Mistborn, thanks for the recommendation! Now I'm thinking about grabbing Elantris as well. I've got The Way of Kings here as well, so I might return to it eventually.

Man, I've got to admit I'm completely oblivious to these famous fantasy writers. I only know The Name of the Wind, Prince of Thorns (which I haven't read, don't really feel like it) and G.R.R. Martin (I've yet to see a writing style better than his). Sanderson was a new find for me even if he's been there since forever.

Steelheart is also good. (although it is in a near future post apocalyptic setting, which many people don't like, it's also a well done deconstruction of the superhero genre.) Also, i highly recomend that you read "warbreaker" before "Words of radience" (which is the sequal to "the way of kings") (and yes my couson who is into both sanderson and FE slipped up and called it path of radiance on accident.).

Edited by sirmola

At the moment I'm reading "Thus Spoke Zarathustra", the last one I finished was.. um, a book about body langauge I think. That one or "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".

Ooh, a Nietchian. Just understand that he wasn't responsible for Naziism and we should be fine. In any case, I also recently finished Catcher in the Rye, and my goodness is that book overhyped. Salinger is a great writer, but that doesn't mean anything when the subject is terrible to begin with.

Ooh, a Nietchian. Just understand that he wasn't responsible for Naziism and we should be fine. In any case, I also recently finished Catcher in the Rye, and my goodness is that book overhyped. Salinger is a great writer, but that doesn't mean anything when the subject is terrible to begin with.

From what I remember from Nietzsche and the nazi stuff, he was framed post mortem by his sister or something like that.

Also, I haven't read Catcher in the Rye aside from some parts that a friend of mine (who read it all and liked it) showed me. I don't like the idea of an emotive revolted teenager's issues being the main subject. if I wanted something that edgy, I'd play Shadow the Hedgehog.

From what I remember from Nietzsche and the nazi stuff, he was framed post mortem by his sister or something like that.

Also, I haven't read Catcher in the Rye aside from some parts that a friend of mine (who read it all and liked it) showed me. I don't like the idea of an emotive revolted teenager's issues being the main subject. if I wanted something that edgy, I'd play Shadow the Hedgehog.

Oh god, Holden Caulfield is actually similar to Shadow, now that I think about it.

Last one I finished reading was Terry Pratchet's Hogfather. I'm currently about a hundred pages into War and Peace which is...a challenging read. It's like a Fire Emblem sized cast all dining and referencing each with no visual aid to distinguish them. Also a surprising amount of French for a Russian book.

Edited by Jotari

Last one I finished reading was Terry Pratchet's Hogfather. I'm currently about a hundred pages into War and Peace which is...a challenging read. It's like a Fire Emblem sized cast all dining and referencing each with no visual aid to distinguish them. Also a surprising amount of French for a Russian book.

Well, there is a reason for that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_invasion_of_Russia