English localisations - Names & Such

HappyHawlucha

Judging by the localization side of things, I would say the character names from the Nohr side of things will have lots of changes. The Hoshido names will have limited localization changes bar having some of the longer names shortened (i.e. Kazahana for Hana, Suzukaze for Kaze, etc.) or have consonants added/removed (Tsubaki for Subaki and Rinka for Rinkah). The only character names in the Hoshido side of things that might require some radical localization names are Matoi and Syalla, but I say it's easily worked around as well (i.e. Kokoro as Jayvee94 suggested).

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really....really hate Corrin though. Like...im sorry but...i think its terrible. Unless they give us this explanation that he/she was given that name by Garon, it just sounds awful considering they were more or less supposed to be Hoshidan.

And "Ka-moo-ee" is better how, exactly?

And "Ka-moo-ee" is better how, exactly?

Kamui is better because it is a real, Japanese name for a character who supposedly originated from Hoshido, which as you should know is heavily based off of Japan.

I really....really hate Corrin though. Like...im sorry but...i think its terrible. Unless they give us this explanation that he/she was given that name by Garon, it just sounds awful considering they were more or less supposed to be Hoshidan.

I also hate the change to Xander. The reason?

2b1f762f7bd445ca2aa3b1a1d010e542.png

Gods, i hated that show.

Why couldnt they have called him Max or Maximilian? That would have been so much cooler wow.

The most likely reason: lip flaps. Marx takes up two syllables in Japanese. You try finding a two-syllable form of "Maximillian" that isn't the dumb sounding "Maxie".

Xander makes me think of Alexander the Great. Carries the same Greco-Roman vibes as Maximillian while adding on the imagery of a young conqueror; I actually like it better than Marx.

Well...

8d91c8d8754360be3c4bcc7de613d3b9.png

Whats so great about Corrin? This is all that came up... So tell me again, what is Corrin supposed to mean in the context of the game's story and thematic element?

Kamui is better because it is a real, Japanese name for a character who supposedly originated from Hoshido, which as you should know is heavily based off of Japan.

The most likely reason: lip flaps. Marx takes up two syllables in Japanese. You try finding a two-syllable form of "Maximillian" that isn't the dumb sounding "Maxie".

Xander makes me think of Alexander the Great. Carries the same Greco-Roman vibes as Maximillian while adding on the imagery of a young conqueror; I actually like it better than Marx.

I think i would have preferred Alexander to Xander. Also two-syllable name thats kinda Max-ish: Maxwell.

Well...

8d91c8d8754360be3c4bcc7de613d3b9.png

Whats so great about Corrin? This is all that came up... So tell me again, what is Corrin supposed to mean in the context of the game's story and thematic element?

Well Corrin might be a different spelling of another name. I was going to say Corinne, but it's a female-only name and it means 'fair maiden'.

i bet somewhere hidden among that science jumbo there's a context that somewhat relates to the main character. And I thought 'Corrin' was just the placeholder name for the person who was playing as the Avatar in Fates? i might be wrong so feel free to correct me.

"Stupid" is a subjective term. I personally am fine with both Kamui and Corrin, but feel that Corrin is less appropriate for a Hoshidan-origin character.

Edited by Sunwoo

And Corrin doesnt? Stupid is subjective, ser.

At least Corrin doesn't have a barnyard animal sound right in the middle of it.

Well Corrin might be a different spelling of another name. I was going to say Corinne, but it's a female-only name and it means 'fair maiden'.

i bet somewhere hidden among that science jumbo there's a context that somewhat relates to the main character. And I thought 'Corrin' was just the placeholder name for the person who was playing as the Avatar in Fates? i might be wrong so feel free to correct me.

Corrin is actually an alternate spelling of Corrine.

Edited by Gomez_Addams

Corrin is derived from Quirinus, which was another name for Janus, the Greco-Roman god of doors and choices.

...So instead of the name being a major hint to their identity it's their to promote the marketing gimmick that's viewed as a joke by most. Ooookay then.

Edited by The DanMan

Guys I just worked it out.

Corrin is your avatar, and can have same-sex relationships. What was the name of the last Avatar with a same-sex relationship in pop culture?

Also two-syllable name thats kinda Max-ish: Maxwell.

That would have been a smart localisation.

Edited by Baldrick

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to point out that this isn't the first FE to have a Shakespeare reference, or even the first to use the name Macbeth. Macbeth was ones of the lords of Agustria in FE4.

The only name changes that I can get behind are Iago and Azura. For names like Marx and Leon, I can somewhat understand why the changes are made, but still don't really like them.

The changes to the Hoshidan names, however, are honestly pretty crap. Now I can just see the u's after o's and the t's in "tsu" getting dropped everywhere (hello, Saizo and Kagero, if your names aren't changed to Sai and Kage) and longer names getting sliced in half (goodbye, Shinonome and possibly Tsukuyomi). And Rinka to Rinkah is just... ugh. You can't even write that out in katakana... Thank you for assuming that we aren't intelligent enough to remember/pronounce/spell these names, localization team -_____-

Kamui's name change also makes little sense, since Mikoto is a very Japanese name... But if Corrin is a reference to Janus, I find it more acceptable. Garon certainly had no part in Kamui's name, though, cuz then it makes zero sense that the Hoshidan family would refer to Kamui by the newly changed name.

Also, "stupid," as others have pointed out, is a subjective term. I don't think any non-Japanese individual (or at least, any non native speaker) gets to decide whether a term in Japanese "sounds stupid," especially considering that Kamui is an actual Japanese word and not just some made-up name.

As for name changes that will be quite different from the original, I'm guessing Matoi (since the the significance of the name is lost to people who only know the name Cordelia), Ignis, and Luna (because of the respective skill names), among others.

Edited by Tsuky

Wasn't Cordelia's name also from a shakesperian character as well?

I remember that character was famous for sayingthe quote "To love and be silent".

It wasn't originally. It was probably chosen due to her "tragic" love obsession with Chrom.

The changes to the Hoshidan names, however, are honestly pretty crap. Now I can just see the u's after o's and the t's in "tsu" getting dropped everywhere (hello, Saizo and Kagero, if your names aren't changed to Sai and Kage)

Tbh Sai sounds kinda cool to me. I dunno why, it just does pfft.

As for localization changes, I'll just refer to their English names no matter how stupid they'll be. If localization keeps with the 'anagrams' with Matoi/Syalla/Gurei then I'm very curious to see what kind of anagram they can make out of 'Tharja'.

As for localization changes, I'll just refer to their English names no matter how stupid they'll be. If localization keeps with the 'anagrams' with Matoi/Syalla/Gurei then I'm very curious to see what kind of anagram they can make out of 'Tharja'.

Jarhat?

Rathaj?

Rah Taj?

Although I like the name Kamui, I think it should be changed for story reasons. Why would Garon let Kamui keep his Hoshidan name after kidnapping him (and apparently wiping his memories)?

The name itself is fine, but for me, it just doesn't seem to fit as well as Saizou (maybe because Saizou sounds similar to Hattori Hanzou, a ninja from the Sengoku Era)

Although I like the name Kamui, I think it should be changed for story reasons. Why would Garon let Kamui keep his Hoshidan name after kidnapping him (and apparently wiping his memories)?

Well, if this story were in a non-video game media, I definitely think this should be the case, and it makes more sense that way. But wouldn't that be a bit difficult to execute in game? What would the Hoshidan family call Kamui when they meet him/her again? And if Kamui were to choose Hoshido, wouldn't there be sort of a "name crisis" about what he/she should be called? I agree that Garon allowing Kamui to still be called that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I think it's just for the sake of game mechanics.

Edited by Tsuky

The name itself is fine, but for me, it just doesn't seem to fit as well as Saizou (maybe because Saizou sounds similar to Hattori Hanzou, a ninja from the Sengoku Era)

Well, if this story were in a non-video game media, I definitely think this should be the case, and it makes more sense that way. But wouldn't that be a bit difficult to execute in game? What would the Hoshidan family call Kamui when they meet him/her again? And if Kamui were to choose Hoshido, wouldn't there be sort of a "name crisis" about what he/she should be called? I agree that Garon allowing Kamui to still be called that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I think it's just for the sake of game mechanics.

He can have a Nohrian name as his default and his Hoshidan siblings will (at first) call him Kamui. Kamui doesn't recognize the name anymore so if he joins Hoshido, he can insist on being called by his Nohrian name (or whatever the player chose). Not too hard to manage.

It's also so that Suzukaze can (conveniently) recognize Kamui by his name.

I think the ears and eyes could give Kamui's identity away. Suzukaze would be like "Could that really be Prince Kamui...?" and Kamui will react in confusion to the name he's never heard.

It wasn't originally. It was probably chosen due to her "tragic" love obsession with Chrom.

To be fair, Tiamo is a (redundant) way to say "I love" in Latin; neither name is exactly subtle.

Edited by The DanMan