SF Interviews 2.0 - Florete

Julius Nepos

stupidly numbered questions just so

81. how do you feel about teaching history in schools, personally?

82. why should everyone be interested in history?

83. why do you think history is a male dominated subject

84. favorite hero from norse mythology

85. ideal king?

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Impressions?

2. What got you into history?

3. Whats a good book series you'd recommend to anyone?

4. If you could visit anywhere in the world where would you go?

5. If you could travel in time to meet one historical figure, who would it be and why?

1. Well, Ive never seen you act like a jerk, so positive. Although I can't fathom why you're using Jeigan in your ironman.

2. Basically I was obsessed with fighter planes, and wanted to know why they were fighting each other. Then my dad basically summarized WWII for me. Then I started reading history books. The end, essentially.

3. There isn't really a book series perfect for everyone, but the Honor Harrington series, at least the first few books, are very good. They're a space opera based on the French Revolutionary Wars with a strong and smart female protagonist and kickass battle scenes. I'd recommend it.

4. I'd love to visit Palmyra now that ISIS have been cleared out. I'd also like to do a big road trip across Europe of famous Napoleonic Wars battle sites with my friends, who also love history. That would be quite fun.

5. Akbar the great, Emperor of the Mughal Empire. First of all his name is in english Great the Great, so that's always good. Secondly, though, he was a famously learned and enlightened man, bringing about de facto secularization of his Empire. He would definitely be interesting to talk to, and as I love Indian food, and as he was the Emperor of most of India, the food would be awesome too.

stupidly numbered questions just so

81. how do you feel about teaching history in schools, personally?

82. why should everyone be interested in history?

83. why do you think history is a male dominated subject

84. favorite hero from norse mythology

85. ideal king?

81. I am a fan.

82. You need to understand history to understand the issues the world faces today. For example, you need to know the history of the Ottoman Empire to understand the Yugoslav Wars.

83. There's too much focus on getting women interested in STEM subjects that history got left behind.

84. Odin
85. The most important attribute of any King is to be feared. Not feared unjustly, of course, just that if you break the law he'll fuck you up, rich or poor, white or black, male or female, you get the idea. Of course, having just laws is important too. SO I'd say that a good king, to borrow from Machiavelli, should be feared and loved, in that order.

11. Which Fire Emblem lord could survive in Medieval Times, in your opinion?

12. Persia or Macedonia?

13. Assyria or Neo-Babylon?

14. Rome or Carthage?

15. Manchu China or Tokugawa Shogunate?

11. Two. Firstly, Ephraim, being a military genius, would do quite well for himself even if his political skills aren't the best. Micaiah is also pragmatic enough to do well, although being a woman might hinder her, but then again there were great female monarchs in the Middle Ages like Irene, Isabella, and Margrethe I.

12. Persia, all the way. Give me the relatively egalitarian, cultured enlightened despotism that was the first to ban slavery in history over one of the shortest lived empires in history any day.

13. Neo-Babylon, although I don't have that much of an opinion either way.

14. Barca Spain>Roman Republic>Carthaginian Republic

15. Manchu China, because I like their fashion better than that of Japan. Also, the Tokugawa Shogunate was an abomination that deserved what Meiji did to it.

11. Two. Firstly, Ephraim, being a military genius, would do quite well for himself even if his political skills aren't the best. Micaiah is also pragmatic enough to do well, although being a woman might hinder her, but then again there were great female monarchs in the Middle Ages like Irene, Isabella, and Margrethe I.

12. Persia, all the way. Give me the relatively egalitarian, cultured enlightened despotism that was the first to ban slavery in history over one of the shortest lived empires in history any day.

13. Neo-Babylon, although I don't have that much of an opinion either way.

14. Barca Spain>Roman Republic>Carthaginian Republic

15. Manchu China, because I like their fashion better than that of Japan. Also, the Tokugawa Shogunate was an abomination that deserved what Meiji did to it.

I think Alm and Celica would do well, if only because they need an update to prove me wrong.

Oddly enough, I feel Macedon would've been very powerful for a long had it not been for one wayward mosquito.

I like Neo-Babylon, too. Nebuchadnezzar ranks among my favorite monarchs and employed one of my favorite holy men.

Hamilcar or Hannibal?

Both were equally stringent and uncompromising, bad things to be in the pre-modern era.

Alien invaders have finally come to earth via a worm hole portal and have started taking footholds around the world. You cleverly invent a time machine and use it bring back the greatest military minds of human history. The problem is you're short on fuel and can only get five uses out of your time machine. Which five military geniuses would you entrust the fate of humanity to?

Hannibal was a better general, but Hamilcar was a better King.

Alien invaders have finally come to earth via a worm hole portal and have started taking footholds around the world. You cleverly invent a time machine and use it bring back the greatest military minds of human history. The problem is you're short on fuel and can only get five uses out of your time machine. Which five military geniuses would you entrust the fate of humanity to?

Ooh, I like this question. The big thing to remember here is no tactical geniuses. Tactics change, but strategy doesn't. I'm also assuming that So with that, here's who I'd bring back.

SUN TZU would be an excellent supreme commander of all allied forces. His strategic insights are still relevant today, and I think he'd do a great job coordinating the overall defense of Earth.

GEORGY ZHUKOV would be the chief of land forces. Zhukov would be in a similar situation here as he was in his actual career: he is the commander of a force defending against an assault by a technologically superior foe. They are limited in terms of logistics, however, because they have to go through portals, which naturally can't fit that much in terms of reinforcements. Zhukov was excellent at trading territory for time, and here he has the entire planet to work with.

VO NYUGEN GIAP, of Vietnam War fame, would be put to work organizing a guerrilla resistance movement. This setup is quite honestly every guerrilla commander's wet dream: they can pretty much count on the complete support of the civilian populace. Occupying Alien forces could be harassed at every turn, and depending on how well the rebels do they could even launch an attack on the portals, which would force the aliens to deploy forces to protect the portals, leading to less aliens on the field.

ISOROKU YAMAMOTO, I think, is unquestionably the best naval commander in modern history (Horation Nelson, for example, wouldn't do too well with modern warships) and is honestly just a great choice to lead both the navy and the Airforce. Yamamoto's mission would be to use the combined navies of Earth to make sure that the different Alien forces are as seperate as possible; the Aliens in Africa, for example, shouldn't be able to reinforce the aliens in Europe.

Finally, FREDERICK WILHELM I. Frederick the Great is more famous, but his father lay the groundwork of Prussia's success by training up the Prussian army. His job would be to train up the best force in the history of humanity. It would have the side effect of ending the obesity epidemic; nothing like a hardass drill sergeant who is also King of Prussia to whip fat people into shape.

So, the general strategy would be this: delay the aliens as long as possible while Steven Hawking and Niel DeGrasse Tyson are put to work figuring out how to close the portals. When the portals are closed, counterattack with everything humanity has and crush the Alien armies, who have now been cut off from all support.

1. Would you like a Fire Emblem game where the story was heavily inspired by the Russian Revolution in the early 1900s?
2. Worst gameplay mechanic in the FE series?

3. Do you every get tired of being asked history based questions in your interview?
4. Thoughts on Inglorious Basterds?
5. Have you thought of any "what if" scenarios for certain historic events i.e "What if Archduke Franz Ferdinand survived his assassination" or "How would the Cuban Missile Crisis be dealt if Nixon was US President"?

Edited by Kevlar

1. Would you like a Fire Emblem game where the story was heavily inspired by the Russian Revolution in the early 1900s?

2. Worst gameplay mechanic in the FE series?

3. Do you every get tired of being asked history based questions in your interview?

4. Thoughts on Inglorious Basterds?

5. Have you thought of any "what if" scenarios for certain historic events i.e "What if Archduke Franz Ferdinand survived his assassination" or "How would the Cuban Missile Crisis be dealt if Nixon was US President"?

1. Depends on the map design. But yeah, that sounds interesting, gen 1 could be overthrowing the old regime, gen 2 could be overthrowing the Stalin expy. Then again knowing IS they'd probably swamp it with fanservice to make me more angry than anything.

2. The lack of save points in chapters, and obviously this doesn't apply to the NES remakes. There is no reason why I should have to replay the entire chapter and thereby lose a perfect level up, for example, because one enemy got in a lucky crit. I love hard games, but I hate doing shit I just finished again.

3. Not usually, so long as they're new.

4. I haven't seen it, but I approve of anyone who intends to brutally murder Nazis, unless, you know, they're Stalin.

5. Oh, absolutely. I love alternate history. I'm actually currently writing an alternate timeline on this very site, although the first few parts kind of suck.

Most important or influential woman in military history?

Most significant historical conflict for democracy?

Do you watch anime or read light novels? If so, favorite military/history themed pick?

Have you watched any Godzilla movies?

If so, which one is your favorite?

EDIT:

What is your favorite generation of Pokemon?

What is/are your favorite Pokemon?

Edited by Pixelman

Jotari: Ah crap, sorry for forgetting this. No, regrettably.

Most important or influential woman in military history?

Most significant historical conflict for democracy?

Do you watch anime or read light novels? If so, favorite military/history themed pick?

Probably Elizabeth I. Her leadership was extremely important to defeating the Spanish Armada, and that defeat was key in breaking the power of the Spanish Empire. Honestly I was just trying to avoid saying Joan of Arc.

I would argue the Glorious Revolution. Before the Glorious Revolution, real democracy didn't really exist yet. The defeat of James II and the creation of the Constitutional Monarchy led to the creation of the first modern democracy, essentially starting everything.

I watch anime that I hear is good, and the same for light novels, but I wouldn't say I'm an anime fan. I dislike most of the tropes associated with anime, for example. However, there's some seriously good shit out there. Case in point: Monster. Monster is a serial killer story, but it heavily involves the history of East Germany and Communist Czechoslovakia, and most of what they have is accurate. One of the key locales is Orague, and let me be the first to tell you that they did their research. One of the streets in Prague that the characters go down a lot is an actual street. The story is pretty good too; the villain is a lot like the Joker and the hero is a mix between Batman and Atticus Finch.

Have you watched any Godzilla movies?

If so, which one is your favorite?

EDIT:

What is your favorite generation of Pokemon?

What is/are your favorite Pokemon?

I have not.

I like Gen 5 the best for the huge amount of Pokemon they introduced, the excellent story, and the good gameplay.

My favorite Pokemon is Crobat. I like the design and he's surprisingly good in competitive play.

Finally decided to ask you too for impressions of sukusuku. You probably don't know what it is so here you go: http://puu.sh/m8QuS/ee06c1c24e.gif

Eh. It's cute. I've seen cuter.

6. Swords or sorcery? (I'd clarify that I'm talking about games but I think "sorcery" is enough of a giveaway)

7. How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

8. If you could change one thing in the main story of Fates, what would it be?

9. How far away from home have you traveled?

10. What country would you like to travel to next and why?

6. Swords or sorcery? (I'd clarify that I'm talking about games but I think "sorcery" is enough of a giveaway)

7. How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

8. If you could change one thing in the main story of Fates, what would it be?

9. How far away from home have you traveled?

10. What country would you like to travel to next and why?

6. Swords. I like having a normal attack that isn't garbage when I run out of mp.

7. Don't talk about science, bro, it's summer,

8. Keeping in mind that I haven't played Revelation, I would make Garon how he was before the goo got him.

9. Prague to Minnesota.

10. I would want to travel to Estonia, because I heard from my cousin that firstly wifi is a human right there, and secondly they have bear steaks. I need a bear steak.

1. How would you define your monarchism? Where does it rank on a scale from "a monarch should be an apolitical head of state with only ceremonial power" to "a monarch should have all state power"?

2. Best Roman Emperor (you may include the Byzantine emperors in this too), in your opinion?

3. What is your opinion on cultural relativism?

4. What is your favorite historical subject?

5. Do you have any opinions on Hattusili I, if you know anything about him?

1. How would you define your monarchism? Where does it rank on a scale from "a monarch should be an apolitical head of state with only ceremonial power" to "a monarch should have all state power"?

2. Best Roman Emperor (you may include the Byzantine emperors in this too), in your opinion?

3. What is your opinion on cultural relativism?

4. What is your favorite historical subject?

5. Do you have any opinions on Hattusili I, if you know anything about him?

1. I think that the monarch should have the power to dissolve Parliament, as well as royal assent, that can be overturned with a 2/3 majority. I also think that the monarch should be the commander in chief of the military. Finally, I think that in times of crisis the monarch should be given executive power, but only after a referendum (I don't trust politicians to do the right thing here). The referendum should also be relatively quick, happening no more than a week after its announcement.

2. Marcus Aurelius. He led the Empire through its greatest crisis since Hannibal, successfully defending Rome from both the Parthians and the Marcomanni. I don't even have a problem with giving the throne to Commodus; if he didn't Commodus would have become a rallying point for dissent, leading to civil war. I do think he shouldn't have been so harsh on Commodus, because I think that never being allowed to just be a kid absolutely led the Emperor to be such a brat while Emperor. But overall, a lesser man would have been the last Emperor of Rome, while Marcus saved it.

3. I think it's stupid. I've rarely seen it brought up other than as a way to excuse cultures that treat women and minorities like shit. Note though that I don't think Islamic culture is inherently backwards, it's just going through a backwards spell everywhere sans Jordan; the Ottoman and Mughal Empires are proof of this.

4. I'm a fan of Rome, Mughal India, the Ottoman Empire, and, you'll be shocked to learn, Prussia.

5. I don't think we can possibly know enough about ancient monarchs to make judgements about them. If what we know is true, though, Hattusili was a good monarch.

6. Do you speak any other languages than English?

7. Are you interested in law?

8. Legal positivism or legal naturalism?

9. Forgiveness or retribution?

10. If you were a ruler, would you be an active ruler or a passive ruler?

1. Favourite Monty Python Sketch?
2. Which character(s) in Fates would make a better protagonist than Corrin?

3. Is there any history stories that remind you of the plot of a Fire Emblem game?
4. Do you watch Game of Thrones?
5. Thoughts on the Youtube video "Nohr & the Roman World - Character Development Special"? It basically explains to connections with The Kingdom of Nohr to the Roman Empire and Celtic Culture. [spoiler=Video Link]

Edited by Kevlar

If you could have had a part in a historical event of the past, which one would it have been?

In the future, is there an event that you think will happen/can possibly happen that you would like to go down the history books as having had a part on?

6. Do you speak any other languages than English?

7. Are you interested in law?

8. Legal positivism or legal naturalism?

9. Forgiveness or retribution?

10. If you were a ruler, would you be an active ruler or a passive ruler?

6. I speak Spanish poorly. I speak Czech much more poorly.

7. Somewhat. Its probably what I'd do if I couldn't be a historian.

8. Legal positivism,code finitely. Nature is a cruel world that we should be escaping. Anyone that wants to be like nature is a masochist.

9. A mixture of the two. I don't think that retribution is constructed, but at the same time Zander's Breivik's cell shouldn't be as good as a hotel room.

10. I'd be a passive ruler or an active ruler as the situation demands. I've found that most of the greatest monarchs are like that.

1. Favourite Monty Python Sketch?

2. Which character(s) in Fates would make a better protagonist than Corrin?

3. Is there any history stories that remind you of the plot of a Fire Emblem game?

4. Do you watch Game of Thrones?

5. Thoughts on the Youtube video "Nohr & the Roman World - Character Development Special"? It basically explains to connections with The Kingdom of Nohr to the Roman Empire and Celtic Culture. [spoiler=Video Link]

1. Probably Self Defense Against Fruit. Nostalgia may be a factor here, as it was the first one I ever saw, when I was 7, but nothing's been able to top it for me.

2. All of them. But Leo I think would make a good protagonist for Conquest. Assuming the story has been changed so that Nohr has some decent motivation, Leo would make a good Magnificent Bastard type hero, kind of like Miicaiah meets Ephraim.

3. Path of Radiance is basically FE's WWII. Daein/Germany, a militarist dictatorship ruled by a social Darwinian megolomaniaic named Ashnard/Hitler, that also has a hatred for a race called Laguz/Jews, invades Crimea/Austria, Czechoslovakia, Poland, France, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg, starting a war. Gallia/America, a country naturally opposed to Daein/Germany, sits on its ass and offers moral support before eventually joining the war. Meanwhile, Begnion/USSR, a huge empire with some moral faults, most of which stem from a fat asshole with a mustache, and which has a badass general whose last name begins with a Z, joins the war, and proceeds to kick the ass of Daein/Germany only to have a guy named Ike take all the credit. Years later, Daein/Germany is chafing under the oppressive occupation of Begnion/USSR, but with the help of Sanaki/Gorbachev, the leader of Begnion/USSR who is sympathetic to their plight, the rebels free their country.

4. Nope. I do intend to, though.

5. I think that although it does make some good points, Nohr has one key difference from Rome: cavalry. Roman cavalry was frankly shit, and yet the Cavalier is a key unit in the Nohrian army. I also find it ironic that Nohr borrows from Rome and the Celts, given the history between the two peoples.

If you could have had a part in a historical event of the past, which one would it have been?

In the future, is there an event that you think will happen/can possibly happen that you would like to go down the history books as having had a part on?

I would like to have been a Roman Senator during the Civil Wars. I would be a key ally of Julius Caesar, and maybe would convince him to avoid entering a certain Senate session.

I dont want any part in this history. I think that the world is entering a dark period, definitely, and I think if I were to be anything significant it wouldn't end well for me.

What is your favorite Pokemon?

What is your favorite bird Pokemon?

Would you rather drop a brick on your foot or praise Conquest's story unironically?

What is your favorite Pokemon?

What is your favorite bird Pokemon?

Would you rather drop a brick on your foot or praise Conquest's story unironically?

Crobat

Staraptor

Praise Conquest's story, I mean come on. I don't hate it more than physical pain.