Undertale

Cerbuirus

ok I bought the game a while ago and finally started playing it, not expecting that much because i assume fans of games don't often really know a good game from good elements of a not-so-good-game

and I just killed Toriel despite having shown mercy/spared every enemy i've run into and this deeply hurts me, I'm having feels for a game i just started

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I was reminded of another lingering question I had about this game, one that really unsettled me how I couldn't answer it, and I was wondering if somebody who's played all the paths and is familiar with the hidden Easter Egg lore can confirm this for me:

Are the eventual fates of each of the 6 children ever concretely confirmed? Do we know for a fact that Asgore killed all of them? Were any of them killed by other monsters, or one of the bosses like Undyne?

This question really stuck out at me, because unlike the player character child, the six children before them were not possessed by the player, and were therefore not emotionally dead, totally pain-numb avatars with chronomancy-induced immortality. These were, presumably, actual lost terrified children in a hostile environment who were all vulnerable to, and eventually succumbed to, gruesome painful deaths at the hands of monsters.

Needless to say, killing any of these children for any reason, let alone for the purpose of fueling a genocide, is an inexcusable crime. A crime that between 1 and 6 of the monsters in the story are guilty of. Was it just Asgore, who knew full well that what he had done was beyond redemption? If so, how did the belongings of these children wind up haphazardly scattered around the world? And if it wasn't only Asgore who killed one of those children... well that begs the question... who among the cast killed a child?

I think it should at least be noted that...

...not every human who fell down there was harmless. The Tutu for example, is specifically referred to as a "Dusty Tutu", which implies that it's original owner went on a killing spree. Even a child can easily slaughter countless monsters as long as it has sufficient killing intent, as the player can prove. They were also not necessarily all children in the first place. Remember, one of the weapons is an actual gun.

Personally I don't think Asgore killed any human with his own hands. Considering the location of the items, it doesn't look like any of the humans managed to get all the way to him. Of course, he would still be responsible for their deaths either way.

Edited by BrightBow

I think it should at least be noted that...

...not every human who fell down there was harmless. The Tutu for example, is specifically referred to as a "Dusty Tutu", which implies that it's original owner went on a killing spree. Even a child can easily slaughter countless monsters as long as it has sufficient killing intent, as the player can prove. They were also not necessarily all children in the first place. Remember, one of the weapons is an actual gun.

Personally I don't think Asgore killed any human with his own hands. Considering the location of the items, it doesn't look like any of the humans managed to get all the way to him. Of course, he would still be responsible for their deaths either way.

Actually we do know they're all children, or at least any who aren't were dwarfs, because they were all put in tiny coffins.

And again, whatever the children wound up doing, you would have to work very hard to make any lives they take not sympathetic, since there's literally a royally-backed headhunt against them going on, and not only are their own lives on the line, but the lives of everyone they've ever known or loved. They simply cannot afford to show the kind of supergandhian levels of mercy that Frisk can. To expect that of anybody without Frisk's powers would be beyond insane. Imagine an Undertale roguelike with some other random child as the protagonist. Every time you lose, the entire human race is wiped out. The only reason Frisk's campaign for the perfect nonviolent solution is at all realistic is because they quite literally cannot be killed and the genocide will therefore never happen no matter what they do until they get it right.

As for the one with a gun, that... really confused me. The fact that the trait the wiki says the yellow-souled child embodies is "justice" implies that either that child went down there on some kind of deranged knight-templar killing spree, or knew about what the monsters were doing and specifically went down there either for a rescue mission or revenge.

...So if you don't think Asgore killed any of them (which I don't buy, because Undyne specifically states that no human has ever made it past him), who do you think did?

Edited by Alastor15243

Maybe the children were brought to Asgore in their final moments so he could personally finish them. Or it's been so long since the last child came that Undyne was not a part of the royal guard yet, nor was Mettaton built. It seems when you fight Toriel you might be the first one she's ever tried to stop from leaving, but even though she attacks you it is with the intention to dissuade you from leaving. Goat mom in the true ending is so damn cool...

ok I bought the game a while ago and finally started playing it, not expecting that much because i assume fans of games don't often really know a good game from good elements of a not-so-good-game

and I just killed Toriel despite having shown mercy/spared every enemy i've run into and this deeply hurts me, I'm having feels for a game i just started

Do it again, it's better the second time.

Personally my favourite sadistic approach for this situation is to...

...spare Toriel first, then loading and killing her. That's a good way to impress Flowey.

I did this when I played the demo

honestly, it was probably the first time the game legitimately impressed me

I was enjoying the demo and all but I think I only went back to try this a long time after I first played it

I knew flowey was aware of your saving but god damn I was not expecting him to know exactly what I did and why and say

"You killed her just to see what would happen"

• 2 weeks later...

Btw, something that I've been wondering. Have all those ,ogg files in the main folder of Undertale always been there? From what I recall, when I first installed Undertale the main folder was very barebone and not filled with dozens of soundfiles.

Edited by BrightBow

• 2 weeks later...

Undertale can make you think about a lot of things, like mercy, the concept of choices and concequences, a deconstruction of RPG-gameplay/storyy elements. Or discovering and/or teasing your inner sadistic side, that work too.

But the possibilites are endless. It's like Earthbound, the more you think about it, the greater it will be. Totally didn't quote Mother's creator on this one or anything.

Edited by B.Leu