About to play PoR for the first time , What do I need to know?

YoshiYogurt

Just finished FE3, and I have a few questions before I start FE9 / Path of Radiance.

1. How does support work in this game? Only game i've played with support is awakening and it has unlimited I think...

feel free to let me know what characters you think support the best or what's canon etc...

2. How does the data transfer thing work? Obviously put the gamecube memory card in wii and start FE10, but what info transfers and how does it affect Radiant Dawn? I want to do a perfect playthrough of both of Ike's games, similar to Book 1 and Book 2 of FE3

3. Are there alternate paths like FE6 and 7 supposedly have?

4. What needs to be done to get a perfect game and good endings? (besides nobody dying of course!)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supports work like they do in the GBA games as far as I recall in that you have limited ones- up to 5 levels total- but you gain them by having characters participate in chapters at the same time. Can't answer for data transfer since I emulated PoR and played RD on my WiiU, but I think supports are the relevant thing that transfers. No alternate paths(again, as far as I can recall), and there isn't really a good/bad ending but beating the Black Knight when you encounter him is the canon path, so maybe that counts?

People who actually know their shit and have played the game recently can correct any of my misinformation.

Hope you enjoyed FE3 fun game.

1. Support increases when units are deployed together, they do not need to stand beside one another to increase supports.

2. The data transfer carries over your supports as "bonds" which are like miniature supports, Weapon rank carries over as well as some other stat boosts, finally there is also a few minor changes to the games script (drops some lines focused on exposition for lines favored for informed players.

3. No alternate paths nor gaidens.

4. Nothing.

Thanks guys, FE3 was an excellent time, I did use a guide to get the orbs because it would really easy to miss them doing a blind run.....

FE9 looks like it will be a great time. Playing it now because I want to finish up my gamecube games and bring my wiiU up to school instead of my wii...

Skipping FE4 and FE5 on the hope that someone will "inject" or whatever the new translation patches into them. Not sure how the standard translation are but I have them and they don't look too great ,especially FE5.

FE6 and FE7 have weird alternate paths I don't feel like doing now so I'm putting them off too

Don't own FE8 yet.

FE11/12 are remakes and I will probably play them in a few years after I finish all the other games

Edited by YoshiYogurt

Ike's in the game

Just finished FE3, and I have a few questions before I start FE9 / Path of Radiance.

1. How does support work in this game? Only game i've played with support is awakening and it has unlimited I think...

feel free to let me know what characters you think support the best or what's canon etc...

2. How does the data transfer thing work? Obviously put the gamecube memory card in wii and start FE10, but what info transfers and how does it affect Radiant Dawn? I want to do a perfect playthrough of both of Ike's games, similar to Book 1 and Book 2 of FE3

3. Are there alternate paths like FE6 and 7 supposedly have?

4. What needs to be done to get a perfect game and good endings? (besides nobody dying of course!)

1. The units need to be deployed together, but don't necessarily have to be next to each other. The supports can be read at the base at the end of the chapter.

2. No idea. Never played RD

3. No.

4. If you wanna get all the post-game character artworks, be sure to recruit Stefan on the desert chapter (I forget which one that is) with Lethe or Mordecai and recruit Giffca on the Endgame when prompted.

Thanks guys, FE3 was an excellent time, I did use a guide to get the orbs because it would really easy to miss them doing a blind run.....

FE9 looks like it will be a great time. Playing it now because I want to finish up my gamecube games and bring my wiiU up to school instead of my wii...

Oh yeah, definitely used a guide for the orbs myself my first time through though my prior experience with FE12 definitely helped, lol. And you are correct about FE9 looking like a great time, cuz it is! Hope you enjoy it! :)

The only information you absolutely need to know is that you cannot neglect Ike. Without going into specifics, the game will expect him to be really good later (and usually he naturally turns out that way).

The only information you absolutely need to know is that you cannot neglect Ike. Without going into specifics, the game will expect him to be really good later (and usually he naturally turns out that way).

I usually beef up the main characters as much as I can anyway, but yea similar to Marth, I guess you MUST use him which isnt a problem for me.

In general FE9 is a very easy game even on HM. The enemies and bosses aren't very frightening at all.

Easy mode = normal mode with the only difference that your units will get x2 experience (= elite mode).

Each unit in usable. Prepromoted units have very good growths; better than first tier units.

Supports work like in the GBA games with the only difference that you can build them in the barracks.

4. What needs to be done to get a good ending? (besides nobody dying of course!)

Kill the boss in chapter 27.

While you need to make sure Ike is in shape, you might not want to give him any skill scrolls. You need to remove skills to gain capacity for new ones, and Ike really wants Aether, which he can only get after promotion.

Since supports are only dependent on how many chapters units spend together, maxing out a lot of the supports requires them to be deployed for the vast majority of their availability.

Also, the final boss has another form if you play on the highest difficulty. But it's just a pallet swap and doesn't actually affect the ending.

Strength is used to negate weapon weight.

A lot of maps have optional objectives that reward you with extra Bonus EXP. But the problem is that they are only hinted at in dialog. So if characters want you to do certain thinks, yet it's in no way actually enforced to actually do them, that's why. You are also not getting any sort of feedback for fulfilling them. While the game does have a screen to tell you about your BEXP rewards and how you earned them, it can only be activated after you already beaten the game once.

Edit:

The international version removed the highest difficulty level and replaced it with Easy mode. And if you are playing Radiant Dawn, Normal mode is Japanese Hard mode because they renamed the modes to fit with the naming pattern that they used in PoR but didn't actually mess with the modes themselves.

Edited by BrightBow

I've found Wrath/Adept for BK and Wrath/Resolve for Ashnard to be more effective than Aether, but I guess Aether and it's stylish glory is worth seeing for the first playthrough.

Edited by Radiant head

I've found Wrath/Adept for BK and Wrath/Resolve for Ashnard to be more effective than Aether, but I guess Aether and it's stylish glory is worth seeing for the first playthrough.

So do I. But I prefer not to advice someone on their first run to use specific skill combinations as opposed to simply relying on Ike's personal Mastery Skill.

Edited by BrightBow

You can get a total of four Occult Scrolls in the game. These help your characters learn the Mastery Skills for their class, but disappear after use. Obviously, use the first one on Ike, and distribute the rest of them to your most elite team members.

alright one thing you should know even though it wasn't in your post

on chapter 15 you recruit a pretty good character who gives you a pretty good item

make sure you look up how to recruit them before you start the chapter because the requirements are fucking dumb

Give aether to Ike till the BK fight and wrath + resolve after that.

Wrath + nihil on Ike would work vs. BK too.

Theoretically Ike doesn't need any skills (except for nihil) vs. BK. He can beat him, if he hits all ten times (5x Player + 5x Enemy phase).

Theoretically Ike doesn't need any skills (except for nihil) vs. BK. He can beat him, if he hits all ten times (5x Player + 5x Enemy phase).

Are you sure about this? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to kill the Black Knight without Aether.

Unless of course you're talking about clearing the chapter, which can be done if Ike simply waited around for 5 turns.

Are you sure about this? I'm pretty sure it's impossible to kill the Black Knight without Aether.

Unless of course you're talking about clearing the chapter, which can be done if Ike simply waited around for 5 turns.

Ike with maxed strength can do 9 damage to BK; means 18 each turn. BK has 60 HP and heals by 6 HP.

5 Turns: 5 x (9 x 2 - 6) = 60

Edit: Mist must kill the bishop with physics.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

Wrath + nihil on Ike would work vs. BK too.

If you want to avoid Luna, standing one space away does the job as well as Nihil would. Though I guess the critical hit animation wouldn't look as cool.

Edited by Radiant head

Another thing that should be noted: Fairly early on, two of your units will leave. Getting the first one back will require some shoving, whereas the second... requires having him talk with a specific unit, then using Ike to defeat him afterward.

This game feels good, but also weird. So many Pre-promotes so early. I know Shinon and Gatrie leave until later, but Yikes Titania, I try to avoid using her since she only gets 5xp per kill. Hard to get XP for soren since he's so weak. Rys is quite awful too, 0 def....

This game feels good, but also weird. So many Pre-promotes so early. I know Shinon and Gatrie leave until later, but Yikes Titania, I try to avoid using her since she only gets 5xp per kill. Hard to get XP for soren since he's so weak. Rys is quite awful too, 0 def....

That's normal. Soren's pitifully weak for a long part of early-game, unless you get blessed.

Once Shinon and Gatrie leave (two really great units), Ike is going to be carrying the team. Try training Mia if you can too.

omigosh RYS, what a weakass. 2 hits and he's dead...sheesh, I know every other cleric is the same but in this game he feels sooo vulnerable

Also, does it matter who I use my Stat boosters on? Might give the Speedwing to Soren, Seraph robe to Ike, and Goddess Icon to Boyd...

Yeah Rhys is lacking in 3 major stats. Speed, defense and hitpoints which makes him probably one of the most vulnerable preists I've ever seen.

As for the stat boosters I can tell you I wouldn't use those three on the characters you've picked, however it's personal preference and feel free to use them on whatever characters fit your style of play.

Yeah Rhys is lacking in 3 major stats. Speed, defense and hitpoints which makes him probably one of the most vulnerable preists I've ever seen.

As for the stat boosters I can tell you I wouldn't use those three on the characters you've picked, however it's personal preference and feel free to use them on whatever characters fit your style of play.

What characters would you recommend them for? Just finished chapter 5.

Also the amount of times you hit in this game is seriously weird. Ike hits twice randomly when he shouldn't. Sorren hit 3 times once and never again....

Edited by YoshiYogurt