WYR season1. Would you rather...? This edition's FINAL QUESTION: "would you rather host or not host WYR?"

do you want to host this lame knockoff thread  

8 members have voted

1. 1. do you

Is that along the lines of "you're more likely to get killed by a vending machine than a shark" because very few people go close to sharks at all, especially not whilst in water, or is saying the encounter with the bear has already happened and your chances of then surviving it is more likely than the neighbour's dog?

It depends on the type of bear/dog and what you define as an encounter.

Black bears: Will almost NEVER attack a human. Even if you're near their cubs, they train their cubs to climb trees to avoid predators, and mature black bears will run and climb a tree too. Just don't position yourself between them and their cubs. If you make yourself known to a black bear there is a 99% chance it is going to run away if you aren't in swiping distance. Even males are unlikely to attack you in their own territory. Literally the best way to make a black bear stay away is to act aggressive and not be close enough to them that they perceive you as a threat they need to fight to get away from.

Grizzly bears: These ones react differently to being scared, but they'll mostly run away too unless certain circumstances are met. Female grizzlies will defend their cubs to the death, unlike black bears, and being anywhere near a female grizzly's cubs is the most common cause of a bear attack in the world (80% of all attacks). Males are the same as male black bears, the only time they'll consider attacking you is in their territory, but if you scare one at close range it's more of a 50/50 on if they'll attack you or run away.

Bears aren't very brave for how large they are lol. They typically avoid confrontation if at all possible unless there's a territorial dispute or the bear is female and their cubs are being threatened. The main issue is that people aren't very knowledgeable about them, and they misinterpret body language and escalate the situation when they do have a bear encounter. If you see a bear and it is huffing, roaring or standing up, it is NOT being aggressive, and a lot of people make this mistake and run away or make a bunch of sudden movements. When a bear does that it's nervous and afraid, and making sudden movements or turning your back to run is the worst thing you could possibly do. On the flip side, when a bear DOES attack you, its intent is almost never to kill you. Nobody would survive bear attacks if bears wanted to kill you, because they could kill you almost instantly if they used as much force as they're capable of. Bears that are attacking someone as a defensive reaction will only use enough force to 'neutralize the threat'. They'll push you over, swipe you, and leave it at that if you aren't fighting back most of the time. If the bear is attacking you and it's not because you surprised them, fighting back is your best chance at survival, because bears won't pursue a fight for long if you put up enough of one.

Source: I live in Canada and in areas with frequent bear encounters it's mandatory learning lol.

Dogs on the other hand are breed dependant, but big or aggressive dog breeds can attack humans for any number of reasons, especially if they're unneutered males or trained improperly. While a bear will only attack if it's the only option, a dog like that could attack if you trigger any of its stressors, and it can be seemingly at random. They're also much more likely to go through with an attack than bears because bears are still afraid of us instinctively, so they're known to bluff an attack instead. Obviously, a bear with an actual intent to kill is more likely to succeed because it's so much more powerful than us, but a dog is much more likely to attack you in the first place.

Living so closely with dogs increases the likelihood of us being forced into a situation with a dog, but living so closely with them for so long is also why they're more likely to attack us than run away during a confrontation. It's something observable in all animals. For a pertinent example, bears that have had a lot of friendly or neutral encounters with humans over a period of time become more likely to attack a human than a normal bear when a stressor is triggered, because they will lose their natural fear and shyness of us.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife laughed at me once for being afraid of a potential bear outside.

Tbf, there had been bears in the area, and the large bushes/trees were shaking and growling... (clearly not a dog or any animal I had heard of course)

Guess I am just a city boy... :o

Well I'd choose Arctic Sea cause I can swim fairly well and I'm pretty sure that while your swimming, your muscles are generating heat. I couldn't bear the suffocation of smoke and the pain of burning

you mean...dying or not? i mean if i just got set on fire i could just stop drop and roll....and i can't swim. but if i couldnt get out of either than yeah the arctic sea. i heard that freezing to death makes all your nerves stop working so it doesnt really hurt before you die

I'm not ready to die just yet and I have people to live for, so fire. Being dropped in the arctic sea sounds like a thing you can't really get away living as much as being set on fire. It'd be pretty painful and I'd have horrible scars though, hooray \o/

fire freaks me out more so let's go out with the sea

if I burn to death it's probably just gross bone and ash; if I die of freeze then I can be food for animals!

Edited by Specta

op this thread is really morbid. what is wrong with you

give us a better would you rather

Do you really wanna be a kid or a squid Frank? :p

Also, since when is Batman or Superman morbid? what is wrong with you :o

Give me a better complaint post. ;) :p

----

I learned something new today thanks to Tangerine's Bear Facts! :D

As for me... I think I would probably go with Fire. You can always stop, drop and roll... Or leap into a sand dune, or a lake or get covered in extinguishing foam... Vs well, being tossed in the middle of a freezing body of water... No where to go with that potentially... :o

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

So New Question.

Would you rather be Rich and unknown, or poor yet Famous?

...I suppose it really depends here on how you became famous... Like was it a positive thing or something viral/rather embarrassing? ('Cause who wants to be the guy known for crapping himself in the middle of a baseball game for extreme example)

...assuming this fame was a positive, or that I could use it in some way to benefit others... I would prefer being well known, and possibly well liked, over wealth yet anonymity. :o

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

I've been poor and let me tell you it's not very fun

And there are others who have been even more poor than I have!

I also don't care much for being famous since that seems to be a lot of pressure on people and even driven them crazy (and I doubt I could handle it~)

Rich and unknown, hands down.

Edited by Freohr Datia

Rich and unknown because no lifestyle change :smug:

By that I mean I'd still be unknown, but rich. Meaning that the only thing different would be my wads and wads of cash.

(are you a kid or a squid)

Edited by Emeraldfox

Dead parents isn't nice.

doesn't mean superman and batman are fat

one of the bad things about being rich is being famous, and the question asks me if I'd like to be rich AND unknown. I'll pick this then.