So i watched the OVA of Fire Emblem.

Calmy

Nothing too spectacular, but it felt nice watching a medieval style anime from the 90's, believe it or not, that's kinda of a rare anime to see from that era, since the new hot shit was with animes like Akira, Lupin the Third, and Fist of the North Star, so seeing something classic being classic, felt refreshing.

With the clear potential FE has for anime, i wonder how well a new FE anime would do these days, especially considering that the last two games, Awakening & Fates are selling well, and the announcement of a crossover (SMT vs FE aka Genei Ibunruku), all seems well for the future of the franchise, at least when it comes to sales, some people might dislike the new games for "X" or "Y" reason while others love them to death.

I'm pretty neutral in that aspect, but my point is, how lucrative (and possible) would an anime of FE do these days?.

I imagine a modern FE anime would be really generic, and I'm not sure if I'd really want to watch something like that. I'm actually kinda sad the FE anime from back then didn't continue, despite how bad it is, I enjoy it out of sheer curiousity.

I think there exists a possibility that a new Fire Emblem anime could come to fruition, since FE's popularity seems to be on a steady rise.

Right now I'm imagining a Fire Emblem anime with a strong Lodos or Slayer-vibe, ah~~

Too bad it'll never be done though. :/

Edited by B.Leu

As much as I defend the new FE, I can't see an anime of FE (in the modern day) being handled by a respectable studio that doesn't make it about panty shots and delicious anime girl thighs or whatever.

I feel like I've seen this thread somewhere before...

I would love to see a new FE anime, so long as it isn't based off of Awakening. That game's had it's spotlight, so let's show Blazing Sword some love, huh?!

I think there's already been a thread on this, and I'm going to echo my thoughts from there. There are just too many characters in any given game, they'd have to end up picking between staying true to the game and having decent pacing. Even the OVA had to cut Castor and Darros in its short air time. The only one I can see working is FE4, as the cast is pretty small in each generation, and they already have a template with the Oosawa manga.

So long as it isn't FE13/14 (there's way too many shipping wars for that to be a good idea) it could potentially work.

Awakening would be harder since the children are tied to the plot but you could just ignore shipping and the second gen altogether for Fates. My concern would be they would focus more on bit comedy roles of the supporting cast instead of the serious drama of the story.

Lupin and Fist of the North Star new hot shit in the 90s...? Wut? Ken is an 80s icon and Lupin has been around ever since the late 60s...

I saw the anime IN ITALIAN!!! because for some reasons Yamato Video decided to dub it in my language even before the arrival of Melee. I guess it was because Lodoss was popular and wanted something similar, but I'm not sure...

They were okay OVAs. Sheeda was cute!

What I appreciated is that they tried to show Marth dislikes violence.

As much as I defend the new FE, I can't see an anime of FE (in the modern day) being handled by a respectable studio that doesn't make it about panty shots and delicious anime girl thighs or whatever.

sounds pretty accurate to the games to me

Lupin and Fist of the North Star new hot shit in the 90s...? Wut? Ken is an 80s icon and Lupin has been around ever since the late 60s...

I saw the anime IN ITALIAN!!! because for some reasons Yamato Video decided to dub it in my language even before the arrival of Melee. I guess it was because Lodoss was popular and wanted something similar, but I'm not sure...

Actually, it was dubbed in English too prior to Melee coming out. Pretty interesting. And pointless.

But yeah, uh....

I saw a few... seconds? Of the OVA. They were not very enjoyable seconds. The voice acting was pretty awful.

Lupin the Third got some of his best movies during the 80's, and part of that popularity got translated to the 90's, and as for the Fist of the North Star, well, it's been popular since both the 80's and 90's, i could also mention Sailor Moon, which was an iconic anime from that era, but that's just going to other parts.

Italian?, didn't know the anime had a italian dub, also, Marth disliking violence is kinda... ironic, considering that his original JP name is "Mars", a name that came from "The God of War" and well, if you have read stories about him, he loved violence, so well, but maybe, this was probably intentional from part of IS to confuse us, it seems that they think a lot in their characters before releasing them, hmmm....

Studio Madhouse?

ufotable?

Studio Madhouse?

ufotable?

I mean I can't see a respectable studio picking it up and making a 12-24 episode anime out of it without taking some fanservice liberties.

Lupin the Third got some of his best movies during the 80's, and part of that popularity got translated to the 90's, and as for the Fist of the North Star, well, it's been popular since both the 80's and 90's, i could also mention Sailor Moon, which was an iconic anime from that era, but that's just going to other parts.

Italian?, didn't know the anime had a italian dub, also, Marth disliking violence is kinda... ironic, considering that his original JP name is "Mars", a name that came from "The God of War" and well, if you have read stories about him, he loved violence, so well, but maybe, this was probably intentional from part of IS to confuse us, it seems that they think a lot in their characters before releasing them, hmmm....

Oh I see, I was just confused since you used the word "new".

Regarding Marth's personality -> I think the fact that he took name from the God of War is simply Shozou Kaga using some Greek names in Akaneia (like right now, I can think of Talis, Medeus, etc, and Minerva is the Ancient Roman name for Athena), because the first game had an Ancient Greek ahestethic.

Mars as a name for the protagonist of a war game makes sense in a way, even though Marth has shaped up to be a person who doesn't like to use violence, even in Shozou Kaga's writings.

I don't know, I don't think the name was picked at random (like how they do with many other things like CRIMEA and ASHERA), but there probably was not much thought put into the choice.

i enjoyed tne OVA. had some cool fight scenes, stayed true to it's source material, had remixes from the game and i love the scene with navarre ar the end of the second episode. however it did have a up skirt shot, a ton of still frames and an annoying gordin.

but overall it was solid definitely one of the best videogame to animation adaptations.

would like to see them try an FE anime again and have one based of each game. starting with FE1 taking the manga as a base. would also like to see FE6 if the idea of it being a sequel was already known.

Regarding Marth's personality -> I think the fact that he took name from the God of War is simply Shozou Kaga using some Greek names in Akaneia (like right now, I can think of Talis, Medeus, etc, and Minerva is the Ancient Roman name for Athena), because the first game had an Ancient Greek ahestethic.

Mars as a name for the protagonist of a war game makes sense in a way, even though Marth has shaped up to be a person who doesn't like to use violence, even in Shozou Kaga's writings.

I don't know, I don't think the name was picked at random (like how they do with many other things like CRIMEA and ASHERA), but there probably was not much thought put into the choice.

I think Fire Emblem's references are much more well though-out than people give credit for. Mars was a god of war, but he wasn't really a barbarian and he was much more of a protector of peace than starter of violence. When researching Norse Mythology, I was actually astonished at how clever some of the references and parallels to Norse legend were within FE4.

^Also, I disagree with using the FE1 manga as a base for an anime. It's got good ideas but I wouldn't consider it the best adaptation of FE that there could be.

Edited by Knight

I think Fire Emblem's references are much more well though-out than people give credit for. Mars was a god of war, but he wasn't really a barbarian and he was much more of a protector of peace than starter of violence. When researching Norse Mythology, I was actually astonished at how clever some of the references and parallels to Norse legend were within FE4.

Yeah I know, especially when I read the story that Sigurd's namesake comes from. Very similar relationship dynamic in that story to Sigurd, Deirdre, and Arvis.

Best thing about the OVA was the potential it had. It wasn't a fantastic two episodes but you could see that it was well thought out and adapted the games in a good fashion. It think it's a shame it didn't continue because it felt like the kind of show that would get much better as time goes on. In terms of modern day I wouldn't be against any sort of anime, even a bad fanservicey one. More Fire Emblem is better for me, I don't really much care the format. I'm sure I can get some modicum of enjoyment out of it and it wouldn't really take anything from the games in terms of resources. Most likely we'd get something based on Awakening or Fates but if we got an anime adaptation of Jugdral that would be freaking awesome.

I felt that if the OVA had a bigger budget and more time, it could have been something special. Instead we get a case of "what could have been"

Of course, I did enjoy the fact that Marth's Japanese VA would later reprise his role in Super Smash Bros Melee onwards, while Cain's Japanese VA would later voice another more famous Nintendo character.

As far as which Fire Emblem would make a good anime, I'd feel the Jugdral saga would be good (Gen 1 and Gen 2 being seperate seasons, while Thracia 776 gets a movie of some sort). The Tellius games or even rebooting the Mystery of the Emblem OVA wouldn't be bad ideas either.

I can see FE anime being any of the following:

-the standard fare 12-to-25-episode adaptation for a specific saga

-Pokemon-Origins-style OVAs showing mainly the important moments of a specific saga

Edited by Roflolxp54

Personally, i'd love to see Fire Emblem on the small screen a second time, though I do wonder if adapting one of the game's story/characters is the best idea.

The OVA, decent as it is, feels a lot like a pilot for a Fire Emblem series that never took off (likeliest bet as to why is either finances on producing a 20+ episode run for, say, Book 1 as opposed to the entire Akaneia saga, something that's especially noticeable with the amount of still frames in the two episodes). I think an original story within the Fire Emblem universe a la Legend of the Crystals (minus the fan service that made up the bulk of that series) could lay the groundwork for an interesting series that explores the characters of a given land, its lore, their relationships and alliance with one another, all while animating some gorgeous sword, lance, axe or magic battles.

Also, if a voice actor demands a higher pay, BAM. Character's dead.

(Joke aside, voice actors should be treated with more respect within the industry, especially given the meager pay they often receive).

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame the OVA is so mediocre.

I tried to pretend The Heroic Legend of Arslan(the one from the 90s) was a Fire Emblem anime when I first watched it.

It sort of worked...

I mean the girly prince dude was sort of like marth I guess...