Corrin/Kamui in Smash

Limstella

Just something I noticed, I don't want to bash on the character too much before they're actually released, but does anyone else get a feeling that there'll be quite a few Forward-Smash spamming Corrins on FG? Like that is really insane range.

Edited by kantoorfarina

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just something I noticed, I don't want to bash on the character too much before they're actually released, but does anyone else get a feeling that there'll be quite a few Forward-Smash spamming Corrins on FG? Like that is really insane range.

Probably haha, fishing fsmashes are fairly common.

I was disappointed by Corrin's inclusion. Not because I think he's really that bad of an addition to smash's roster, but because there were much better alternatives than him to put in not just from nintendo but even from FE. A mage, one of the older characters, would've broadened it up a bit.

But it seems that his moveset is unique enough, so that's not too much of an issue.

I'm not a fan of Bayonetta, however her moveset looks really cool, and seeing her beat sheiks and zss' in tournaments would rectify my disappointment.

Thank you.

Seriously, people can be way too sensitive here sometimes.

I would have preferred Azure, or Xandar as they would actually use something else. Plus seeing an FE rep on a steed would be badass. Look at what they did with Odin's summon. :D

I have not said the same thing word for word; in the other thread I just linked the infamous Darth Vader "no". Maybe someone is stealing all of my good lines.

I understand you're pissed off at everyone's salt and negativity; believe me, I get it. I've never once debated about the inclusion of other people in the Super Smash Bros. series because I figure there are fans for every game and every character, and the same thing holds true for Corrin. However, Fates is literally the worst game I've ever played in terms of story and writing, and this feels like Mr. Sakurai is giving the writers of that abomination a thumbs up. I want the game to be forgotten, the story criticized and a message sent to Intelligent Systems so that they may learn from Fates and improve.

First of all, I won't buy Corrin.

Secondly, Corrin being in my Smash is not what bothers me, it's their inclusion in a fantastic video game series that consists of characters from other amazing series, and Corrin simply is not worthy of being in the game. Like I stated above, I've never once complained about Super Smash Bros. characters before, but this feels like rewarding bad behavior.

Thirdly, I do speak some Japanese, have played through all three routes (Revelations and Birthright twice) and I've also personally talked with people who speak far better Japanese than I to make sure I understood everything correctly. I hope that's good enough for you.

Wait, Shulk was an unknown character? I kept hearing how good Xenoblade Chronicles was, so I thought the entire world knew who he was.

That's not what Smash is all about. Because of Fates sales skyrocketing on par with Awakening is why that we are getting Corrin. Though I would prefer Xandar, or Azure. They would use something else as all we get from smash are sword users.

I honestly never knew Shulk beforehand.

Man, this is ridiculous.

As a huge fan of FE, I find it VERY unjustified and way much earlier than it should have been.

If you would tell me "Corrin for Sma5h !" I would be ok of course, since it would be the most recent Fire Emblem "Lord".

But for Sm4sh ? Dudes ! The game isn't even already out in Europe and America ! That's completely preposterous !

This is just to fulfill an awful marketing goal and by the same way, it will really discredit more, AGAIN, the Fire Emblem fanbase regarding Smash, because even if Corrin would be the world's most original character, he still uses a sword, and that confirms the stupid stereotype about Fire Emblem characters. God damn it, WE SHOULD HAVE Fire Embem characters wielding other weapons instead of this !

This is completely ridiculous, we got more characters than the Zelda series in Smash AND EVEN MARIO ! Even if you consider Yoshi being a part of it, that's still equal ! It's insane in terms of series importance in video-games universe guys !

How could we come to such an end...

For Roy's reason of why that he was included in Melee. But...having him in Smash 4 is an unknown commodity.

Tellius was super boring to me. Ashera was the best part, and even then that doesn't mean much.

Now me? I think Fates has wonderful designs. You go from stuff like Rinkah to Xander to Subaki and it's all super fresh.

I think Fates's changes are cool. I don't need to use any fanservice from My Castle and I love all of the gameplay changes, so all that leaves is stuff like Camilla. Which is okay. I mean, Camilla and Charlotte are two characters. Not like you can't look past them.

Call me a casual or whatever. That's fine by me. I do play on Classic only though if that's any consolation /s

hAEkFV.jpg

In this it is telling that they are going to leave them alone.

Salty much? First of all, should Awakening have failed, we probably wouldn't have ever seen another Fire Emblem game ever again. Look, I understand your frustration with the direction FE is now taking. I wasn't a fan of Awakening as a game, and I would much rather have more games with an aesthetic like Thracia and Tellius. At least Fates's designs are a tad better than Awakenings.

Fire Emblem is not taking a dangerous route. Fates has some amazing gameplay, based on Serenes' member's feedback of the game (aside from some of the gimmicky Revelation maps, I think). Gameplay is what makes Fire Emblem tick. Awakening's gameplay was dull due to a lack of unique objectives. Fates rectified that with more unique objectives other than "Rout." Fates also has 3 campaigns, and classes based on two differing countries. That has never been done before and is an awesome addition. I enjoy reading game stories, but if I play though game multiple times, I'll start skipping the cutscenes and focus more on getting through the challenges that each chapter throws at me. I think this is mostly true for other players too. I would be concerned if future Fire Emblems started to look and act more like SMT FE#, which is way too weeaboo and crazy. Fates' aesthetic looks like any other stereotypical high fantasy JRPG. Fire Emblem still has its core mechanics, even some that are even reminiscent of older Fire Emblems (Zero and Orochi's capture command as a nod to Thracia 776 and unbreakable weapons as a nod to Gaiden).

Am I a fan of the human petting simulator in My castle? No. Do I like playing eugenics and getting children? Not entirely.

IS is a business and they are going to do things that they think will best get their sales up. So the features they put in the game that are, in my opinion, a bit insane, were done to attract more players who liked pairing up units in Awakening, Also, putting Corrin in Smash is smart purely from a business standpoint. Ultimately they want to make Fire Emblem appeal to more people, which is why they introduced Phoenix and Casual mode.

I'd take more Fire Emblems than no Fire Emblems. IS does care about the opinions of fans; why else would there have been that Japanese Fates Survey that was issued months ago? I think the future of Fire Emblem looks bright, for now.

tl;dr Corrin in smash is still awesome.

Which is why that it sold like shit for a long time. THEY were scared of Perma death which Shadow Dragon was the cure to that. This is why that we didn't get the first six games because Jap though us stupid Americans couldn't handle it. Which is why that we were given something easy like FFMQ. (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) Why we didn't get Mario Bros 2 Lost Levels for the NES.(Thank god that we got it in Super Mario All Stars and on the 3DS.) But...also the same reason why that we didn't get Lunatic in Path Of Radiance. But...for these two new difficulties that they put in to appeal more fans...it is still nice that they give us Classic too which almost all of us will use anyway because it really won't be a punishment without it!

Edited by Lin_Lee_Koo

lmao Shadow Dragon was not the cure to permadeath.

"hey kill off your dudes to get more dudes!"

if anything, it made people more averse to permadeath because they were missing out on stuff if they didn't kill lots of units. i've yet to encounter someone who thought FE11 gaidens were a good idea

Awakening was the cure to permadeath as far as most people are concerned. Fates further remedies it.

Would also like to point out that there is more to a game than its writing. There is also more to a game than its gameplay. Dismissing or praising a game based on a single feature is dangerous practice because you're dismissing a substantial majority of the game in making your assertion. Fates did a lot of stuff right, but it also did a lot of stuff wrong. That's why it's so controversial and why it's therefore important to get the whole picture of what this game is about.

Edited by squid kid

Would also like to point out that there is more to a game than its writing. There is also more to a game than its gameplay. Dismissing or praising a game based on a single feature is dangerous practice because you're dismissing a substantial majority of the game in making your assertion. Fates did a lot of stuff right, but it also did a lot of stuff wrong. That's why it's so controversial and why it's therefore important to get the whole picture of what this game is about.

I agree with this, but my personal stance is if a game plays well enough, I'm honestly going to give a story a pass, if a story is good enough. I may give gameplay as pass, games are an interactive media and I see way too many games trying to tell super deep and complex stories than actually have solid gameplay these days, its honestly driving me bonkers, I'd rather have the opposite and if Fates works out that way, then thats fine by me.

I'm sure i'll enjoy parts of it and some of the characters, plus we have no idea how they are going to localize the script yet, but regardless. Game plays well enough? Who cares about the story in the end, but maybe thats just me.

Of course the happy medium of both would be nice, but we can't always have that.

Edited by Jedi

There are several movest questions that I would love to have answered.

How high of a jump is side-b? It looks like it's variable. How quick will canceling it be and is it realistic to set up a combo from there?

Do you need to do the bite in neutral-b (I think this might have been shown; I'm just drawing a blank)?

Then there's the feasibility of a charged neutral-b chained into a side-b which is cancelled into something else to make a combo.

Basically, I want Corrin to be good, but I'm just keeping my hopes low for competitive viability (people thought Robin was potentially top-tier; now he's lower-mid, at best).

Edited by The DanMan

There are several movest questions that I would love to have answered.

How high of a jump is side-b? It looks like it's variable. How quick will canceling it be and is it realistic to set up a combo from there?

Do you need to do the bite in neutral-b (I think this might have been shown; I'm just drawing a blank)?

Then there's the feasibility of a charged neutral-b chained into a side-b which is cancelled into something else to make a combo.

Basically, I want Corrin to be good, but I'm just keeping my hopes low for competitive viability (people thought Robin was potentially top-tier; now he's lower-mid, at best).

Sakurai describes how some of their moveset works (Skip to about 3:30)

I'm not remembering if it answers any of that, but its good reference for everyone. Also we know his Bair boosts him/her forward in the air, so that will probably help recovery, meanwhile the recovery itself, looks decent enough at a glance.

Also you'd be surprised, some of the top players like Esam consider Robin a really good contender, but as with most characters in the game, everyone has super varied opinions.

Edited by Jedi

I'm sure i'll enjoy parts of it and some of the characters, plus we have no idea how they are going to localize the script yet, but regardless. Game plays well enough? Who cares about the story in the end, but maybe thats just me.

I know this is a rhetorical question but I'll answer it anyway.

People who aren't you. Whenever people say "who cares about", they are basically dismissing anyone who doesn't share their values. Even amongst the people who think Fates has solid gameplay (and the general consensus on the Fates board says that it does) a lackluster or downright bad story can sour the experience. I'm not even sure why you would ask such a question because you already know who cares. All the people you are responding to care.

IS cares too, or at least pay lip-service to it. They hyped their fancy new writer and they split the story into 3 whole games because they felt the story was good enough to approach it from 3 different angles.

*snip*

Sakurai describes how some of their moveset works (Skip to about 3:30)

I'm not remembering if it answers any of that, but its good reference for everyone. Also we know his Bair boosts him/her forward in the air, so that will probably help recovery, meanwhile the recovery itself, looks decent enough at a glance.

Also you'd be surprised, some of the top players like Esam consider Robin a really good contender, but as with most characters in the game, everyone has super varied opinions.

That is what caused me to ask those questions in the first place; it goes into enough detail to "get hype", but not enough to try to gather how good the character is.

Corrin's actual recovery seems to be a bit on the short side; it's basically Roy's except it hits around him (and presumably does less damage).

The thing about b-air is that it feels like it could be fairly easily gimped, as unless you can cancel the end animation you're potentially sending yourself right into an attack.

That is what caused me to ask those questions in the first place; it goes into enough detail to "get hype", but not enough to try to gather how good the character is.

Corrin's actual recovery seems to be a bit on the short side; it's basically Roy's except it hits around him (and presumably does less damage).

The thing about b-air is that it feels like it could be fairly easily gimped, as unless you can cancel the end animation you're potentially sending yourself right into an attack.

My bad on that then, I honestly am not sure, the recovery looks serviceable enough and at least looks ok, it looks middle of the road, not super good, but not bad.

Maybe I'll analyze some things in the trailer and the gameplay descriptions, frames and what not, I don't usually go that in-depth despite being competitively interested, my two cents is that Corrin will have nice % gaining combos, at lower %'s with Yato and the Dragon Lunge, and have precise smash attacks, hopefully with some throw combos and ko setups, because goodness knows how much that improves someone in smash 4, among Ike's original buffs were the ones to make his grabs go straight into aerials and that did tons for him, so I hope Corrin has some of those things too. (Speaking of throw buffs, Bowser just got one where his uthrow goes right into an uair and Lucas got a grab buff in general)

Cloud sadly lacks them, but with how he plays he doesn't need them much (although it would help him tons his meh grab game and poor recovery are probably his main weaknesses), it just would have been nice, but at least his dthrow goes into cross slash at low % and uthrow sends people into the air for his uair to chase.

Edited by Jedi

For Roy's reason of why that he was included in Melee. But...having him in Smash 4 is an unknown commodity.

Which is why that it sold like shit for a long time. THEY were scared of Perma death which Shadow Dragon was the cure to that. This is why that we didn't get the first six games because Jap though us stupid Americans couldn't handle it. Which is why that we were given something easy like FFMQ. (Final Fantasy Mystic Quest) Why we didn't get Mario Bros 2 Lost Levels for the NES.(Thank god that we got it in Super Mario All Stars and on the 3DS.) But...also the same reason why that we didn't get Lunatic in Path Of Radiance. But...for these two new difficulties that they put in to appeal more fans...it is still nice that they give us Classic too which almost all of us will use anyway because it really won't be a punishment without it!

1. Roy as well as Lucas were fanservice for the smash series (I was deeply upset that my favorite character didn't make it into Brawl)

2. this will be several parts

RPGs didn't sell that well back then. FE 1&2 came out too late in the systems lifetime for NOA to bother localizing

FE4&5 also came out too late in the systems lifespan to get a US release (geneology's story would have been butchered all to hell and Thracia came out a year before the Gamecube came out)

Nintendo is a company that wants to make money, and NoA didn't see any real profits coming from two late NES and 2 late SNES games (especially Thracia)

FE3 is realisticly the only classic era FE that could have gotten a US release. Like I said before, RPGs didn't sell all that well back in the day, if a traditional RPG like Earthbound flopped, what made them think an SRPG would do any better.

as for lunatic in in FE9, I don't think anybody could defend it not being in the game. (though having easy mode was a big help for me back when I was a kid)

as for Super Mario Bros 2

Edited by Captain Karnage

1. Roy as well as Lucas were fanservice for the smash series (I was deeply upset that my favorite character didn't make it into Brawl)

RPGs didn't sell that well back then. FE 1&2 came out too late in the systems lifetime for NOA to bother localizing

FE4&5 also came out too late in the systems lifespan to get a US release (geneology's story would have been butchered all to hell and Thracia came out a year before the Gamecube came out)

Nintendo is a company that wants to make money, and NoA didn't see any real profits coming from two late NES and 2 late SNES games (especially Thracia)

FE3 is realisticly the only classic era FE that could have gotten a US release. Like I said before, RPGs didn't sell all that well back in the day, if a traditional RPG like Earthbound flopped, what made them think an SRPG would do any better.

as for lunatic in in FE9, I don't think anybody could defend it not being in the game. (though having easy mode was a big help for me back when I was a kid)

Roy is also pretty popular in Japan in general, FE6 is well regarded by them.

Earthbound had terrible marketing more than people didn't want RPG's, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and the various Enix, Squaresoft, Sega and various other titles were doing pretty well. Because the SNES and somewhat the Genesis were littered with them.

Earthbounds Marketing Slogan in NA was literally "This game Stinks". Whoever came up with that severely damaged its sales until people would later find, either by actually getting it back then or hearing word of mouth or being curious about Ness & Lucas in smash.

I agree with this, but my personal stance is if a game plays well enough, I'm honestly going to give a story a pass, if a story is good enough. I may give gameplay as pass, games are an interactive media and I see way too many games trying to tell super deep and complex stories than actually have solid gameplay these days, its honestly driving me bonkers, I'd rather have the opposite and if Fates works out that way, then thats fine by me.

Of course the happy medium of both would be nice, but we can't always have that.

I agree fully with this. One of my favorite narrative-heavy games, Xenogears, has a pretty clunky gameplay. Its kinda difficult for me to love the game outright because of that. Its frustrating to literally play that game sometimes and it soils how i feel about it overall. There are very very few games out there that have good narratives and just as good gameplay, for me anyway.

I know this is a rhetorical question but I'll answer it anyway.

People who aren't you. Whenever people say "who cares about", they are basically dismissing anyone who doesn't share their values. Even amongst the people who think Fates has solid gameplay (and the general consensus on the Fates board says that it does) a lackluster or downright bad story can sour the experience. I'm not even sure why you would ask such a question because you already know who cares. All the people you are responding to care.

IS cares too, or at least pay lip-service to it. They hyped their fancy new writer and they split the story into 3 whole games because they felt the story was good enough to approach it from 3 different angles.

Listen, i think you are missing something incredibly crucial here. I dont think people care one whit if people love or play games for story. I know i dont. What people care about, is the attitude expressed when this topic comes up. When someone says "Oh i really am not too arsed about the story" and get their shit jumped on with comments like "Stop rewarding bad writing!" or "How the hell can anyone enjoy this?" its not very nice feeling. When people are made to feel like garbage because they like gameplay over story (especially in regards to Fates), it creates problems. And im really only seeing people being made to feel like garbage by the camp who hates that game because of its story.

We dont care that you play games for story. You shouldnt care that we play games for gameplay. We dont really care if you lot dislike Fates. What we dont like is being told we need to dislike Fates (or any game) because you dont like it. We also dont like constant negativity being thrown in our faces. If someone says "I dont care, im gonna play it anyway and probably love it." Do not respond with "You need to care, goddammit, because its shit!" Be more like "ok cool dude." That way, everyone's happy. Yeah, hard to believe people like different stuff in their games.

Earthbound had terrible marketing more than people didn't want RPG's, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and the various Enix, Squaresoft, Sega and various other titles were doing pretty well. Because the SNES and somewhat the Genesis were littered with them.

Earthbounds Marketing Slogan in NA was literally "This game Stinks". Whoever came up with that severely damaged its sales until people would later find, either by actually getting it back then or hearing word of mouth or being curious about Ness & Lucas in smash.

Oh man, i was around when EarthBound got released, and it literally was like "Oh heres this game and it stinks." and that was it. No real adverts, nothing. FE4 probably would have sold fine internationally if they were arsed to release it and market it properly. EarthBound's marketing was just all wrong.

Listen, i think you are missing something incredibly crucial here. I dont think people care one whit if people love or play games for story. I know i dont. What people care about, is the attitude expressed when this topic comes up. When someone says "Oh i really am not too arsed about the story" and get their shit jumped on with comments like "Stop rewarding bad writing!" or "How the hell can anyone enjoy this?" its not very nice feeling. When people are made to feel like garbage because they like gameplay over story (especially in regards to Fates), it creates problems. And im really only seeing people being made to feel like garbage by the camp who hates that game because of its story.

We dont care that you play games for story. You shouldnt care that we play games for gameplay. We dont really care if you lot dislike Fates. What we dont like is being told we need to dislike Fates (or any game) because you dont like it. We also dont like constant negativity being thrown in our faces. If someone says "I dont care, im gonna play it anyway and probably love it." Do not respond with "You need to care, goddammit, because its shit!" Be more like "ok cool dude." That way, everyone's happy. Yeah, hard to believe people like different stuff in their games.

My post was about being considerate of people who have different priorities for what makes a good gameplay experience. A lot of people are dismissive of people who value quality writing in a video game, saying it's insignificant just because they personally don't care about it. I won't slam people for valuing the gameplay over the story. I will criticize people who fail to acknowledge that there are multiple aspects to games besides the core gameplay, especially considering how much IS invested in the story this time around.

Edit: By Sunwoo's recommendation, I've removed a section that was too personal. Let's be respectful of different opinions.

Edited by NekoKnight

unfortunately not as detailed as gimr's cloud analysis, but:[spoiler=moveset video thing]

lists everything but three throws; of especial note, charging fsmash has a hitbox (!)

text and stuff w/ gifs can also be found here

Posted · Hidden by Nightmare, December 19, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Nightmare, December 19, 2015 - No reason given

unfortunately not as detailed as gimr's cloud analysis, but:[spoiler=moveset video thing]

lists everything but three throws; of especial note, charging fsmash has a hitbox (!)

Posted · Hidden by Florete, December 19, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Florete, December 19, 2015 - No reason given

Neat and double post.

My post was about being considerate of people who have different priorities for what makes a good gameplay experience. A lot of people are dismissive of people who value quality writing in a video game, saying it's insignificant just because they personally don't care about it. I won't slam people for valuing the gameplay over the story. I will criticize people who fail to acknowledge that there are multiple aspects to games besides the core gameplay, especially considering how much IS invested in the story this time around.

Edit: By Sunwoo's recommendation, I've removed a section that was too personal. It's just a game guys. Let's play nice.

Again, this is misreading me. I was speaking generally. Perhaps i do (admittingly) need to make it clearer im speaking generally, and not trying to be really antagonistic. And yes, the negativity about the game has really freaking gotten to me and made me snippy. Sorry about that. I know youre actually not being all like that considering ive seen your posts and you have plenty of good to say about the mechanics of the game. I also do think people do have a right to be a bit salty about Fates' story because of what was promised. I got a bit of sodium in my knickers still about Nohr. Jedi's post was basically trying to say that "story is good, but for me, its not the end-all." I enjoy story in games. Hell, i play those games like Gone Home and shit, where its all story and you walk around looking at junk. But i also love gameplay a lot and do like some games solely for it.

I will say I apologize for my wording, some of it wasn't quite worded correctly. I enjoy a good story in a game I really do, deep lore can suck me in a world, I will always cite Morrowind as one of my favorite Elder Scrolls games, it certainly has aged gameplay wise, but the lore sucks me in, so I can see where people come from with stories. I understand it, I was just trying to get across that my personal feelings on the matter are that I will enjoy really solid gameplay before a solid story, I love when both are done well.

I will cite Xenoblade for a recent game that did both really well, it even uses the games mechanics in its story and cutscenes as well, that's integration at its finest. There is a collective whole to be had in a game, unless its all about story or all about gameplay. Its a taste thing as well.

For example, I really dislike plot twist in Star Ocean 3 (and it not only effected it but the entire franchises universe), but I still love the game to death because of its gameplay (and to an extent its characters). The story gets really dumb in my opinion in the final arc, but I stuck through because I enjoyed what I was playing. Maybe thats a poor example, but still.

Edited by Jedi

The reverse is also true. Like, i love the story in a couple of Final Fantasy games. (Like FF7) But the gameplay is a snore for me. But ill still play that shit once in a while. And the Xenogears example.

Anyway....LETS TALK ABOUT DIS MOVESET VID

DAT DASH ATTACK AND DAIR! That and the charging hurting people is kinda wrong. WOW. Those specials look hella neato too!

No.

I'm talking about

ys0xal.png
2otYzQ.jpg

this one...

We got that one you said instead. But...realistically that would be Super Mario 3 and Super Mario 3 would be 4. No 4. *giggle* They then decided not to number them anymore after 3.

Still that some of us didn't see that article and still enjoyed it! :D

Didn't need smash to get into the series! Which Earthbound was still loved to many that didn't need smash to do so.

I'm really liking the long ranged side tilt. People keep harping about Smash getting a lance user but DUDE, his arm turns into a lance! DUDE!

In general, I like characters that play a mid-ranged game, which is why Robin is one of my mains. Maybe Kamui will play similarly, trying to keep people out of range and using counter for when they get in your face.

Edited by NekoKnight

Yeah, after really thinking about it, I really would rather Roy just not be in the game.

If Roy had been Wolf, then Star Fox fans would be happy. FE would have had a much more manageable 5 characters, and since Lucina barely counts, it sort of be 4.

roy is seriously the real problem here