Pokémon20 QotD - #6 - What's your favorite Poké Ball?

solrocknroll

Pokemon20 - The 20th Anniversary of Pokemon

This year will be great. Pokken Tournament and the Mythical Giveaway for the entire year. Next month starting February 1st, don't forget to go to GameStop and get your Mew code before the 24th of February!

How did you get into Pokemon?

I love Pokemon because it's so fun to play, but I got into Pokemon around the time of Battle Frontier.

I remember my grandfather going away to serve in the military. It was 2004 or 2005, I think. We stopped at a toy store and I could get one thing before we went to the airport. I actually got a Munchlax toy. I remembered absolutely loving Munchlax, so I watched the anime and got a Squirtle and Geodude figure. I then played my dad's copy of Pokemon Blue. I really enjoyed it, so I got Sapphire. Then I played Emerald, Firered, and Red Rescue Team. When I got my DS, the game I got with it was Pearl.

What's your story? I know that the Pokemon Twitter is asking something similar iirc, so I'm interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

Edited by Miss Kira

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I don't really remember how I got into Pokemon. I remember that my first Pokemon game was one of the Gen 4 ones(?) but that's really all I can remember.

Kind of disappointing, since everyone else probably has an interesting story behind their interest in the series.

I got into Pokemon (and Gaming) from my cousins, the main thing I remember was seeing my cousin playing FireRed on his gameboysomething and then I wanted to get one as well. He also gave my crystal for one of my birthdays, which now contains probably my favourite pokemon region.

Edited by Blyvern

Smash Bros. Melee

I have very religious parents and were convinced Pokemon was evil and wasn't to be touched.

Then they saw Pichu.

And they thought Pichu was adorable.

And realized that Pichu couldn't possibly be evil.

So I bought Pokemon Sapphire.

My uncle had a bunch of Pokemon cards and he gave them all to us.

We also kinda sorta watched the Pokemon anime (Ash just beat Winona) in secret without our parents knowing, because of the same reason Doofina posted. Then our dad got into Pokemon some time later!

...I don't exactly remember which order the two happened in though.

Edited by Power Master

I think it was because of the cartoon, around 99. It was huge, and all the kids talked about it but i don't really remember how i started liking it, since i was 5. Then on that year's christmas I got yellow, alongside a gameboy color. I wouldn't stop playing it haha

Edited by Nobody

I remember getting Red, but I don't remember why, I believe a friend showed me? Not too sure.

That being said I do remember that I got Red even before Yellow was released, or at least very close.

I been playing Pokemon ever since Gen 1.

...Man, I remeber when Gen 2 was announced, so exciting!

And Pikablu! How could I good forget Pikablu? Those were good times.

I think it was because of the cartoon, around 99. It was huge, and all the kids talked about it but i don't really remember how i started liking it, since i was 5. Then on that year's christmas I got yellow, alongside a gameboy color. I wouldn't stop playing it haha

The first time that I watched the anime was at the end of 1999 or at the beginning of 2000.

I guess that the very first Pokemon game that I played was Pokemon Stadium around the same time. (Not mine, just on some random folks' N64)(Summer of 2000 I think, I remember that I was 7y/o nearly 8y/o but my memory from that time is quite fuzzy)

Also got Pokemon Stadium 2 after this in 2001.

Then got Emerald in July 2005 and XD in December of the same year.

That's about it.

Edited by Naughx

My sister got Pokemon Yellow when she turned 5, but my dad delayed me getting into Pokemon until I was 9 with Blue. This was when FR/LG was out, and then my dad got Ruby for himself. 11 years later, I have all the main series games save Black, Black 2, Diamond, Pearl, and Heart Gold. I liked White better, and Platinum over the other two, and could only find Soul Silver.

I don't remember the exact years. It must have before I even came out of school ? Probably in 2000 or before, after I discovered RPG's and video games in general... my memory is pretty foggy as all hell, which is very annoying to me.. At any rate it was at the time where the show was starting and it was as you know, the mega-hype for everyone, me included !

I remember, my dad was out of buying stuffs and all, and he came with Pokemon Blue Version, and I was just so freaking happy, and I... we, loved this game a,played it a lot. He also got me the yellow version.

Since then, my dad got all the versions he could for me, well, not exactly, by the second gen times, we quickly understood Gamefreak's strategy of the 'third game' so, we were savvy enough.

Heh, poor parents, at the time, we live in an appartment, and there was only one TV, it was in the saloon... which was also my parent's room, so when I wanted to look at the show.... eheh.

It was a simplier better time. I'm rambling, but... memories, nostalgia, happiness.

Edited by B.Leu

Everyone was into it at the time, It's really that simple. Blue Edition was also the game that I got my GameBoy for. Of course, me being me, I only started following the fad when everyone else was already loosing interest and started looking down on those still playing them.

Edited by BrightBow

First game i got when i bought my first nintendo console, the ds. I was totally unknown with it apart from the tv show. In fact, maybe that game got me into roms and emulators then leading to fire emblem. So ye.

EDIT: I'm talking bout' poké diamond btw

Edited by Jose_Darkeye

Since I'm much younger that a lot of peoples around here, I didn't discover pokémon by Red, Blue, or Yellow. When I was around 6 or 7, my dad bought me an exclusive Gamecube with the game that went with it. It was exclusive because the gamecube had a picture of 1 pokémon of the game. An obscure pokémon game (in more than 1 way): Pokémon XD.

This game is easily one of the hardest pokémon game ever... and that was my first pokémon... so I was very bad at this game at that time and I was upset for this reason. I remember that a friday, I had to go to school but my dad was sick so he stayed at home. When I came back with my mom, my father was in the saloon, with my game on the TV. He then give me my OWN pokédex, of course, it's was just a book full of notes but he made this so I could understand the game more easily. I was also stuck at one point (and my English being non-existant at that time, didn't help me either) and my dad helped me out!

Seriouly, I'm curious to know how many peoples played the gamecube's pokémon games.

Edited by Nym

I was feeling rather sad that I was having to grow up, ( I was really in to Digimon but missed the Pokemon anime) and I always liked the Pokemon characters so I picked up Diamond and liked it but stopped playing for a long time and then I had the chance to pick up the Pokemon Black DSi bundle for a really good price and I really like Black. I will always like Pokemon, but it is a series I play when I am feeling down or having a hard time and I can go a few years before I pick up a new to me Pokemon game but I always really like it. I always wonder how people used to think Pokemon was evil, my parents never did, but my ex friend used to believe it was and would get mad at me for having a big Picachu plushy in my room. I guess that is one of the reasons I started playing Pokemon, because people were calling it evil, ( having been called satanic by stupid people who don't know what evil is and would call Jesus a demon) I tend to want to try out things that get called evil, but I can tell are not. I guess that is the main reason I play Pokemon, listen to the band H.I.M and like black cats.

Seriouly, I'm curious to know how many peoples played the gamecube's pokémon games.

XD is still one of my favorites 3D pokemon games. (With Pokemon Stadium 2)

Edited by Naughx

I don't really remember exactly but I do know I got the Red version since its beginnings, maybe because of its marketing or something.

I got into the anime too, along with the movies and was a big fan of them. I remember every evening as child, I spent some time with my siblings watching Pokemon and Digimon as a daily rutine. Them feels ~

But anyways, I got Red with the Gameboy Color as well as Yellow version.

Everyone around me was into it and I felt left out. So I got me a pokemanz and ended up loving it.

Smash Bros. Melee

I have very religious parents and were convinced Pokemon was evil and wasn't to be touched.

Then they saw Pichu.

And they thought Pichu was adorable.

And realized that Pichu couldn't possibly be evil.

So I bought Pokemon Sapphire.

10/10

I got into the anime too, along with the movies and was a big fan of them. I remember every evening as child, I spent some time with my siblings watching Pokemon and Digimon as a daily rutine. Them feels ~

I did that just after coming back from school in the evenings.

Edited by Naughx

My brothers were given Pokemon main games, while I was stuck with only the anime and our N64 games. I wanted Pokemon Yellow and later Crystal to complete our sets (my brothers had Red, Blue, Gold, and Silver), but I think we were too poor back then to afford games for all three of us (this was before my deceased half-brother was really in the picture). I liked our N64 games and the trading cards though. I remember how happy I was to get a Rapidash in one of the booster packs, it was my favorite!

I kind of lost track of Pokemon when my brothers grew out of it (they did rather quickly, now that I think about it), so for a long time, I didn't know gen 3 existed. I later saw Diamond and Pearl on store shelves one day and was like "Oh, Pokemon is still a thing! I want to buy these!" and that's when I finally got my own copies of mainstream Pokemon. Haven't stopped playing the games since. :)

Edited by Anacybele

I got into the anime when it first came out, stopped watching after Johto though. My first game came later when my friend loaned me Emerald. Didn't think I'd like it, but quickly got hooked and have been ever since.

Edited by Griffonite

It was Pokemon blue my mom had got me it for Christmas. I was a fan of the series until right around when Pearl came out which I had stolen from me I then skipped Black and White I hated a lot of the designs originally and if it wasn't for me watching a let's play of Black I wouldn't have got back into the series.