Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Maybe the theme will be finding the right balance between nature and industrialization. This isn't something exclusive to Hawaii.

One thing that noticed from the small amount of dialogue from the trailer, is the fact that they kept calling Alola a "tropical paradise" and how beautiful the region is.

Even the professor says to the trainer "Welcome to paradise!" or something similar.

Which, by the way, means that the game will most likely start with the player moving to the region. Interesting, they used that in Kalos and Hoenn as well.

That sounds interesting. Perhaps some nod to culture would be good, too, because Hawaii's got a very colorful one.

On one hand, encouraging racism is bad. On the other hand. . .acknowledging that racism still exists in "this paradise" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Wonder if your rival's gonna be someone who doesn't like you because you came from somewhere else?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds interesting. Perhaps some nod to culture would be good, too, because Hawaii's got a very colorful one.On one hand, encouraging racism is bad. On the other hand. . .acknowledging that racism still exists in "this paradise" isn't necessarily a bad thing. Wonder if your rival's gonna be someone who doesn't like you because you came from somewhere else?

Actually there is someone that is very likely to be the rival, and he seems very friendly.

Then again, there could be other rivals.

Another thing in recent Pokemon games is that some newer regions were ancient kingdoms before.

Both Unova and Kalos have this "ancient kingdom".

Will there be an "ancient kingdom" in Alola as well?

I might have nothing to do with Hawaii, since Unova has an ancient castle just north of what's supposed to be New York.

I don't remeber New York having a desert with an ancient, legendary castle.

Heck, they might put a portal to the underworld in Honolulu for all we know.

Edited by Water Mage

I would love it if there was a person who greeted you to the underworld with, "Welcome to prison." Just because I like those little mirroring things.

Personally I'd like it if the villain didn't have some ridiculous cartoony goal, but it's pokemon so there's no point in getting my hopes up.

Actually there is someone that is very likely to be the rival, and he seems very friendly.

Then again, there could be other rivals.

Another thing in recent Pokemon games is that some newer regions were ancient kingdoms before.

Both Unova and Kalos have this "ancient kingdom".

Will there be an "ancient kingdom" in Alola as well?

I might have nothing to do with Hawaii, since Unova has an ancient castle just north of what's supposed to be New York.

I don't remeber New York having a desert with an ancient, legendary castle.

Before the missionaries landed, Hawaii had its own unique people and culture. Which included a bunch of gods and goddesses. For your reading pleasure.

Before the missionaries landed, Hawaii had its own unique people and culture. Which included a bunch of gods and goddesses. For your reading pleasure.

That was pretty interesting read!

Maybe they will make a soldier-like ghost type Pokemon based on the nightmarchers.

I'm reading more right now, but it seems that there are plenty of Hawaiian legends that would make interesting Pokemon.

You are talking about something you do not know anything about (namely, the state of the military here). Cut THAT out. As for guns. . .pretty sure they won't be mentioned on their own unless it's the military, since gun ownership here is pretty low.

...What? I still have no idea what you're talking about. I never said anything about Hawaii's military.

Edited by Anacybele

The evil team can be either Team American Fillibusterers (joke) or something based on Technocracy. I think an evil team based on the idea of the March of technology and industrialization would be quite interesting; it would also work well with Hawaii and the Industrial Revolution. Also, can we please get an actual look at the political structure of the region in this game? We got so close in X/Y, and then they backed out!

The evil team can be either Team American Fillibusterers (joke) or something based on Technocracy. I think an evil team based on the idea of the March of technology and industrialization would be quite interesting; it would also work well with Hawaii and the Industrial Revolution. Also, can we please get an actual look at the political structure of the region in this game? We got so close in X/Y, and then they backed out!

It would probably just be a stock constitutional republic/'Murican style.

Fixed that for ya. :P (remember the one anime episode featured guns, but it was banned outside of Japan because guns. It's the one that takes place in the Kanto Safari Zone and caused confusion out west about where Ash got all his Tauros)

Real guns in Pokemon are an absolute no-go regardless of country. After that particular episode was banned outside Japan, they've never shown any sort of a real gun in another episode of the series.

Real guns in Pokemon are an absolute no-go regardless of country. After that particular episode was banned outside Japan, they've never shown any sort of a real gun in another episode of the series.

Oh? I hadn't known that. I've watched a lot of the series, but always figured there'd be more never-to-be-dubbed episodes, so I was never sure about this. Everyone can ignore what I said before then. :P

NO.

Fascinating from a historical view, will probably be offensive from a current social view. Believe it or not, the sovereignty issue is STILL alive.

Eclipse, is it just me, or are you saying no to every idea people come up with and saying they're offensive? Really now, is there anything about Hawaii that wouldn't be offensive to you or others there? :/

I dunno, this is just starting to feel kind of silly. No offense, honestly. I'm just confused and trying to understand you here.

Edited by Anacybele

Eclipse, is it just me, or are you saying no to every idea people come up with and saying they're offensive? Really now, is there anything about Hawaii that wouldn't be offensive to you or others there? :/

I dunno, this is just starting to feel kind of silly. No offense, honestly. I'm just confused and trying to understand you here.

This is why Pokemon needs to stay away from real issues. It could end up offending people.

My wish is for the antagonist to be an arrogant, narcissistic old lady like Lady Maud from Tri Force Heroes or Yzma from Emperor's New Groove.

This antagonist wants money and power and to be fabulous. No agendas or issues, just pure entertainment. This is the kind of stuff I like to see.

No, it's fine, she's right. I was just saying that exploring technocracy (as Team Flare were essentially just the Nazis except just the Lebensraum part) would be interesting, not that Hawaii especially is suited for that, but I could have worded it better admittedly.

I wasn't expecting a Hawaii setting. Its not my first choice, but I can get behind it.

I don't have too many idea's for pokemon or the story, but I do hope they change some of the mechanics this time around.

My first hope is that Gamefreak will stop being so annoying with HM's. Wasting either a team slot or a movement slot on a usually worthless move is pretty annoying. Not being able to remove those moves normally makes that small annoyance into a far bigger one. I hope they'll decide to make HM's deleteable now since I believe they fixed whatever is was that made that needed.

My second one would be that they stop limiting every trainer to 3 pokemon. It made some gym and rival fights in XY very anti climactic, especially since leveling was made much easier with exp share. They did fix that in ORAS, but thats a remake so I don't know if they'll continue that with a new game.

And finally I hope they finally include multiple save files. My brother usually can't start with the games since that means deleting my teams.

Edited by Sasori

Because there's a lot of context that's missing. If you really want to know why, read up on Hawaii history, starting from Captain Cook.

And finally I hope they finally include multiple save files. My brother usually can't start with the games since that means deleting my teams.

That's never going to happen. Especially now that PokeBank exists.

I'll be happy if we get someone as well-done as N was, story-wise. When it comes to writing in Pokémon, I care more about the characters than the plot.

(though on the other hand I have a bit of fondness for poor Lysandre, so what do I know. One of two things I liked about Flare, other being grunts' fashion rants.)

The sovereignity issues in Hawaii run very deep. In modern day society I think the US occupation of Hawaii would have been deemed unconstitutional. But it's a really complex issue and if Pokemon ever makes a storyline of it, it would just be too politically charged. They should really stay away from anything to do with the Hawaiian monarchy. I think the deepest they could ever go with that kind of idea is "tourism vs preservation", as the destruction of natural habitat and culture in the name of tourism appeal is something that many people can understand and is not strictly a Hawaii issue. Still a bit charged though.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/video_potential_pokemon_sun_and_moon_starter_evolution_types_revealed

*Whistles* Damn, that was quick. The youtuber pdwinnal messed around with the "inspect element" tool on the Japanese Sun and Moon site and (based on his findings) says that Litten will gain the Ground type and Popplio the Fighting type, with rowlet staying the same.

However, people have pointed out a potential error: a Starter's primary type is always listed first, and ground came after "flying" and before "fire".

So now the community (and pdwinnal) believe that Rowlet will switch types to Grass/ground, Litten will stay pure fire, and Popplio will turn water/fighting. All I can say is: burrowing owls FTW...?

I highly doubt the Ground and Fighting types were for the starters. I'd much sooner expect early game Pokemon soon to be revealed with those types.

There's some inconsistancy with Litten's type here, but Popplio becoming Fighting would make no sense.

I highly doubt the Ground and Fighting types were for the starters. I'd much sooner expect early game Pokemon soon to be revealed with those types.

There's some inconsistancy with Litten's type here, but Popplio becoming Fighting would make no sense.

Why would they have those types in the page source classified they way they are if they were for early-game 'mons?

Also, if you told people Piplup would become Water/Steel, do you think they would've believed you?

Edited by The DanMan