Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Here something interesting I've heard,

Some are saying that the Pokemon artwork was not made by Sugimori this time.

Apparently the official starter artworks were done by Megumi Mizutani, who also did the ORAS Gym Leader artworks, and Yusuke Ohmura did the Sun and Moon legendary art and he also did the Gym Leader artworks for BW/B2W2.

However there is no confirmation yet. Some fans are guessing because of the style the Pokemon were drawn.

Oh boy. Just what we needed to hear (sarcasm).

If this extends to designs and Sugimori-san really had minimal involvement, than the complainers will have even more to complain about.

Anyways, I'd like to think that the stupid amount of old pokemon and lack of new pokemon in gen VI -as well as the lack of a post-game -largely extended from the transition to 3D; it would make sense at least.

Here's to hoping for more than 80 new pokemon and more non-event legendaries, as well as an actual post-game in general.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, it was more because of the pokedex's size.

​I hope we'll have more new Pokémon this time.

And

Anyways, I'd like to think that the stupid amount of old pokemon and lack of new pokemon in gen VI -as well as the lack of a post-game -largely extended from the transition to 3D; it would make sense at least.

Here's to hoping for more than 80 new pokemon and more non-event legendaries, as well as an actual post-game in general.

Yeah, that is true that there were not alot of new pokemon in X and Y, but that's the thing. I want more new pokemon than what we got in those games.

Also please no gen 1 pandering this time.

I thought something looked different about the artwork of these starters compared to the art of past starters. It doesn't quite look like Sugimori's style.

Oh boy. Just what we needed to hear (sarcasm).

If this extends to designs and Sugimori-san really had minimal involvement, than the complainers will have even more to complain about.

I think Sugimori is still worked on the designs, he said it himself that he wanted to make Gen VII's Pokemon look simpler.

But the official artwork does seem a bit different than the usual Sugimori style.

Well, I don't think he's succeeded in "simpler" so far, particularly on the legendaries. They still look just as complex as previous recent designs. :/

I'm fine with a smaller amount of Pokemon if they're as good as Kalos' Pokemon. I'd like some more type variety though. Vivillon was the only evolved Bug and Dragalge was the only evolved Poison.

I wonder, what will be Pokemon's limit? Gen II added like 100 pokemon, Gen III added about 130, Gen IV added 100 approximately, Gen V added nearly 150 while Gen VI added barely 80 which is underwhelming respecting the rest if the gens. But, what will be their limits? How will a Gen X game or further will be? There will be more than 1K of them and we won't even know what to do among the shitton of mons.

I wonder, what will be Pokemon's limit? Gen II added like 100 pokemon, Gen III added about 130, Gen IV added 100 approximately, Gen V added nearly 150 while Gen VI added barely 80 which is underwhelming respecting the rest if the gens. But, what will be their limits? How will a Gen X game or further will be? There will be more than 1K of them and we won't even know what to do among the shitton of mons.

Then they'll need more save files!

...because the replayability would be off the charts.

That said, I imagine they'll slow down with new Pokémon from here, we have 720. I'd like more effort to be put into balancing them more, while only adding a few each gen.

"Few" being relative, of course.

If it wasn't that with the rising overall quantity is bound to bring a slowdown, I would've guessed around 140~, like with the other odd numbered Gens. So far those have focused on introducing lots of new Pokémon.

Then they'll need more save files!...because the replayability would be off the charts.That said, I imagine they'll slow down with new Pokémon from here, we have 720. I'd like more effort to be put into balancing them more, while only adding a few each gen."Few" being relative, of course.

Maybe that's why Gen VI had so few new Pokemon?

We are getting close to a thousand Pokemon, so they are probably slowing things.

Gen VII will probably have few new Pokemon.

Let's be fair, the new Pokemon will have to stop one day. They can't create new Pokemon forever.

Edited by Water Mage

We are getting close to a thousand Pokemon, so they are probably slowing things.

Gen VII will probably have few new Pokemon.

Let's be fair, the new Pokemon will have to stop one day. They can't create new Pokemon forever.

I think Gen VI had fewer new Pokémon because instead of focusing on new evolutionary stages for old Pokémon (with Sylveon being the exception), they focused instead on giving them Mega Evolutions. If you count the Mega Evolutions, the total number now comes around those of Gen II and IV, who also focused on giving new evolutionary stages to old Pokémon.

Although it doesn't exclude the "Pokémon number is already too high" reason to be also true.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Eh, they could double the life span of the Pokemon series just by only adding new mega evolutions each gen honestly. But it'd make it less interesting if they really did stop adding new pokemon eventually. Just let the numbers grow infinitely, why not?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/the_pokemon_company_teases_the_teaser_for_pokemon_sun_and_moon_reveal_on_2nd_june

"The update will come at 10pm in Japan, which is 6am Pacific / 9am Eastern / 2pm UK / 3pm CET."

The times for the June 2nd update (the article accidentally put "July 2nd").

No, I'm pretty sure gen 6 had few new Pokemon because this was the first time Pokemon games were going full 3D in the graphics department. GameFreak had to create all brand new 3D models for all 720 or so Pokemon, and that's a lot of work. So to cut back on development time, they made less new Pokemon.

Now that they have models to reuse/build off of for Sun/Moon and don't have to make all of them from complete scratch, I think we can expect maybe 100-120 new Pokemon.

Edited by Anacybele

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/20/pokmon-sun-moon-will-feature-multiple-islands/

A very small leak, but Amazon just comfirmed that the Alola Region will be multiple islands.

To be fair, we all expected it.

Now, I wonder which Hawaiian islands they will chose to appear.

Well yeah, the only island we've seen so far just had one city on it. And if you're going to base it on Hawaii, only doing one island isn't an accurate depiction. Why wouldn't there be multiple islands?

Edited by Anacybele

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/20/pokmon-sun-moon-will-feature-multiple-islands/

A very small leak, but Amazon just comfirmed that the Alola Region will be multiple islands.

I guess it would depend on how much they want to spread things out. And also if the biggest one is gonna be used, as the amount of stuff they could put there can save them the need to use some of the smaller ones.

On the other hand, since we are talking of an archipielago, they can use an island or two to put nothing but one or two things in there. Kinda like in the Sevii Islands where two islands were just to capture event legendaries.

100 or more new Pokemon is way too high a number. We cannot sustain that level of new Pokemon. 75-90 is a much more realistic number. Kalos had a ton of pure Fairy types which did not help the type variety, but we can still get about 2 or 3 families for each type using that estimate. Combine that with new Mega Evolutions and the game is already packed. Instead, we should be adding some lesser used Pokemon to the Pokedex instead of filling it with popular Pokemon.

Instead of Gardevoir again, how about Gothitelle or Beheeyem? Replace Starmie with Slowbro. Replace Machamp with Scrafty. Replace Snorlax with Bouffalant. Repeat until we get a unique Dex that blends new Mons with a good amount of old Mons. I hope that Unova and Kalos Pokemon are the main old Pokemon. Sinnoh will likely be getting a remake soon, so there shouldn't be too many Sinnoh Pokemon. Kanto and Hoenn have been wrung dry. Johto Pokemon should probably appear in good amounts as well.

100 or more new Pokemon is way too high a number. We cannot sustain that level of new Pokemon. 75-90 is a much more realistic number.

Uh, what? This is entirely false. The only gen that had less than 100 new Pokemon introduced was gen 6. Otherwise, every new set of games introduced that many. And what's this "we" you're talking about here?

Edited by Anacybele

I actually saw that, but didn't even bother posting it in here because it seemed like such a given in the first place.

Uh, what? This is entirely false. The only gen that had less than 100 new Pokemon introduced was gen 6. Otherwise, every new set of games introduced that many. And what's this "we" you're talking about here?

We meaning the series. 1000 Pokemon is the threshold that should be avoided for as long as humanly possible.

Gen VI also arguably had the best designs in the series. Gen VI's Pokemon rival Gen V's in terms of quality. If Gen VII's Pokemon are half as good as Kalos, 75 would be a perfectly acceptable number.

In addition, Johto and Sinnoh only had so many Pokemon because of evolutionary relatives. Mega Evolutions are basically the new evolutionary relatives. Take out the babies and the evolutions from both and the number of new Pokemon in both are around Kalos' number.

We meaning the series. 1000 Pokemon is the threshold that should be avoided for as long as humanly possible.

Gen VI also arguably had the best designs in the series. Gen VI's Pokemon rival Gen V's in terms of quality. If Gen VII's Pokemon are half as good as Kalos, 75 would be a perfectly acceptable number.

In addition, Johto and Sinnoh only had so many Pokemon because of evolutionary relatives. Mega Evolutions are basically the new evolutionary relatives. Take out the babies and the evolutions from both and the number of new Pokemon in both are around Kalos' number.

All in your opinion, yo. I don't agree. And those baby Pokemon and evolutions were still new Pokemon.