Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

On Togedemaru: while I don't find it difficult to pronounce (Japanese and Finnish being surprisingly similar in pronounciation helps here), I definitely get where Ana's coming from. It's definitely a mouthful (more so than other pika clones, even if it's just 1 more syllable than pachirisu), and if you've never heard Japanese spelled properly it's really hard to know how it's done when you're given a random Japanese word/name in front of you (an invented word/name at that). I'm reminded of this whenever my country's news have something about Japan (remember what I said about similarities?) and very often when I hear native English speakers speaking out Japanese (Nintendo's people for instance).

(I do agree with her that the name should have been localized which is what I've also thought on some past pika clones)

I never realized Alomomola has two "mo"s in its name, always thought it's Alomola. Yeah that makes it much more annoying to pronounce, and shows how much I care about said pokemon lol (and I'm laughing at Alomomola in Alola). Also didn't realize Plusle and Minun's names are same in Japanese, I just assumed they were different.

As far as I know, Tapu Koko is the first pokemon to have a two-part Japanese name.

On a different note, simply based on first impressions from trailers, Alola might turn out to be my favorite region since Hoenn and Sun/Moon my favorite game since Sapphire.

Edited by Sylphid

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least it isn't Keteleeria...

It does stop all Status Effect.

But if it's on a Fairy Type, it isn't really worth more than a glorified Safeguard.

Actually, we don't know if it will work as long as the user is in play, or will stop after a few turns.

Ah, it's all negative status and not just sleep? It could be useful then.

I misread it as "blahblah and Yawn", and two of the three Terrain moves said "sleep and Yawn" so I efficiently concluded it was sleep for Misty Terrain as well without actually reading what it says exactly.

On Togedemaru: while I don't find it difficult to pronounce (Japanese and Finnish being surprisingly similar in pronounciation helps here), I definitely get where Ana's coming from. It's definitely a mouthful (more so than other pika clones, even if it's just 1 more syllable than pachirisu), and if you've never heard Japanese spelled properly it's really hard to know how it's done when you're given a random Japanese word/name in front of you (an invented word/name at that). I'm reminded of this whenever my country's news have something about Japan (remember what I said about similarities?) and very often when I hear native English speakers speaking out Japanese (Nintendo's people for instance).

(I do agree with her that the name should have been localized which is what I've also thought on some past pika clones)

I never realized Alomomola has two "mo"s in its name, always thought it's Alomola. Yeah that makes it much more annoying to pronounce, and shows how much I care about said pokemon lol (and I'm laughing at Alomomola in Alola). Also didn't realize Plusle and Minun's names are same in Japanese, I just assumed they were different.

As far as I know, Tapu Koko is the first pokemon to have a two-part Japanese name.

On a different note, simply based on first impressions from trailers, Alola might turn out to be my favorite region since Hoenn and Sun/Moon my favorite game since Sapphire.

I'm restarting Omega Ruby, and actually there are some minor things in common between the two régions so far.

You also start the game as you arrive a new region, and even the settings is somehwat similar (though Sevii Islands would be a better comparison here.)

My favorite region is Gen V, but I'm also really excited about it. I have really high expectations towards this game and the region.

The terrain moves are quite nice.

Electric Terrain: boosts Electric type moves for pokemon on the ground and prevents them from falling asleep.

Grassy Terrain: boosts Grass type moves for pokemon on the ground and restores their HP by 1/16th per turn.

Misty Terrain: halves Dragon type moves that damage pokemon on the ground and protects them from status afflictions.

I hope this meta induces more use of this terrain moves, and might as well hope for other terrain moves that affect flying and levitating pokemon.

The terrain moves are quite nice.

Electric Terrain: boosts Electric type moves for pokemon on the ground and prevents them from falling asleep.

Grassy Terrain: boosts Grass type moves for pokemon on the ground and restores their HP by 1/16th per turn.

Misty Terrain: halves Dragon type moves that damage pokemon on the ground and protects them from status afflictions.

I hope this meta induces more use of this terrain moves, and might as well hope for other terrain moves that affect flying and levitating pokemon.

Lets go all Yugioh with this, FIELD ADVANTAGE.

Someone please give me Magical Citadel of Endymion or The Grand Spellbook Tower. Else I die

Mausoleum of White totally.

But seriously, these Terrain moves are interesting to me, I liked when weather was a major factor, maybe these can be the new meta.

Whilst perhaps it would have been simpler if it were localised to something shorter, I don't think most people will have too much of an issue getting used to Togedemaru. Although I can appreciate that people who have trouble with trickier sounding words might feel otherwise!

Holy shit you guys, GameFreak is back at it again with throwing common rules out the fucking window.

untitled-2-1467892428888_large.jpg

So this thing.

Its name is Salandit. It's a Poison/Fire type with the ability Corrosion.

Oh what's that, that sounds like a brand new thing - because it is! But what does it do, you ask?

This thing.

This motherfucking thing

is capable of poisoning every kind of Pokemon.

Every kind.

Poison type? Not immune. Steel type? Not immune. Komala? Not immune.

No one is safe from this thing's poison.

Also got the official tweet/video right here. See for yourself.

Ignore my tone I'm just screaming in abject horror because you KNOW the enemy team is going to stock up on these and Poison types are pretty strong and fighting these things are gonna suck.

Edited by Vashiane

Hello little future Toxic-inflicter!

I do hope it has the tank to back up stalling tactics. The x4 Ground weakness is painful though, since EQ is such a common attack and such.

Well, if Corrosion also works with Toxic Spikes, survival may not be as important.

I also Wonder how it combine with Poison Heal...

...And the females can control any males (Humans and Pokémon alike) thanks to their pheromones, according to their descriptions.

I'm pretty sure owning one is enough to be considerred a terrorist.

​Those things are pure evil. I need one on my team.

So if you play as a male trainer, and you catch a female Salandit... does that mean the Salandit is your new PC?

As for poison heal, chances are they'll still be healed since they still are afflicted with "poison" in past Gens, the ability activates when they're about to take poison damage. All Corrosion seems to do is bypass poison-status immunities. Poison heal technically isn't a Poison-status immunity.

Here's a video of our new Pokemon:

I just love it's cry and sprite!

Just look at it's face in the video! It's smiling like it knows it's gonna ruin your life!

Edited by Water Mage

Either this thing is fast but frail, slow but bulky or have no evolution.

I don't know why but I have a feeling that this pokémon will be use A LOT by the evil organisation.

Well, if Corrosion also works with Toxic Spikes, survival may not be as important.

I also Wonder how it combine with Poison Heal...

...And the females can control any males (Humans and Pokémon alike) thanks to their pheromones, according to their descriptions.

I'm pretty sure owning one is enough to be considerred a terrorist.

​Those things are pure evil. I need one on my team.

To grab the info right from the page for everyone:

Salandit emits toxic gas, together with flames, from the base of its tail. This poisonous gas has a sweet smell, and anyone who unknowingly breathes it in will become dizzy. Salandit is not a very powerful Pokémon, but its cunning nature allows it to battle fiercely by throwing its opponents off balance.

Salandit females not only release toxic gases, they can also emit pheromones that attract males of all species, including Pokémon and humans. Inhaling these pheromones may cause opponents to be controlled by Salandit’s will.

Salandit has the Corrosion Ability, a new Ability that no other Pokémon has possessed before. With the Corrosion Ability, it becomes possible to inflict the Poisoned status condition even on Steel- and Poison-type Pokémon.

... This is going to end well.

The fanfiction archive for Pokemon is scary enough as it is, thank you.

Either this thing is fast but frail, slow but bulky or have no evolution.

I don't know why but I have a feeling that this pokémon will be use A LOT by the evil organisation.

Hence my fear response.

I like that Pokemon, but I sure as hell won't when I can't run from the fight.

Ooh, I like this guy! And it's FIRE type! :D

Gonna use if I end up picking Popplio, for sure. Dat face. lol I hope it evolves though, cause it doesn't look fully evolved to me. Though then again, neither do Dunsparce and Farfetch'd...

I also wish Alola Pokemon weren't so hit or miss for me. I really dislike some designs, and really like a few others. :/

Edited by Anacybele

Ooh, I like this guy! And it's FIRE type! :D

Gonna use if I end up picking Popplio, for sure. Dat face. lol I hope it evolves though, cause it doesn't look fully evolved to me. Though then again, neither do Dunsparce and Farfetch'd...

I also wish Alola Pokemon weren't so hit or miss for me. I really dislike some designs, and really like a few others. :/

I wouldn't be surprise if Gamefreak throw the fire type for making it less scary to the players.

''So euhh yea, we just give this pokémon a powerful new ability so we gave it a fire type so you can OHK it with EQ.''

Air ballon will be scary on this thing.

Also according to the trailer, it learns toxic naturally and according to the pokédex, it could probably learn attract.

I'll just hope this is a support pokémon.

I wouldn't be surprise if Gamefreak throw the fire type for making it less scary to the players.

''So euhh yea, we just give this pokémon a powerful new ability so we gave it a fire type so you can OHK it with EQ.''

Air ballon will be scary on this thing.

Also according to the trailer, it learns toxic naturally and according to the pokédex, it could probably learn attract.

I'll just hope this is a support pokémon.

LESS scary?

It's a poisonous lizard who is corrosively toxic, spews a sweet-smelling toxic gas, its females can manipulate nearly any male with its pheromones and now it's also a tiny four-legged flamethrower.

That's even worse!

LESS scary?

It's a poisonous lizard who is corrosively toxic, spews a sweet-smelling toxic gas, its females can manipulate nearly any male with its pheromones and now it's also a tiny four-legged flamethrower.

That's even worse!

I've seen creepier pokédex descriptions (aka, any ghost types pokémon)

Ground types will probably eat this thing for breakfast.

Unless it has an air ballon.

THAT is scary.

Earthquake is a powerful and common move in the meta. The fire type making it x4 weak to it seems like a good idea to me, since Fire is a mostly-offensive typing.

Earth Power can be scary too, against users of it.

Salandit is awesome. The whole "females control all males" thing makes me think that it might have a gender divergent evolution. My guess is that females would end up bulkier, and have more support and debuff moves.

I really need to see how Salandit evolves. It looks like a baby right now, really the only thing that could make it look more unevolved is if it was an actual salamander larva.