Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

I doubt the legendary for Sun is a lion. We just got Litleo and Pyroar for Fire type lions, and some people also think Entei looks a bit like a lion (I think it looks more dog-like). We don't need another Fire type lion. And I don't think there's any way for the Sun legendary to NOT be Fire type.

And I doubt Moon's legendary is a bird. We have enough legendary birds... GameFreak can be more original than this, really.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owl would make more sense, to me.

Possible, are there any notable owls in mythology?

Also, it's quite to imagine that the Sun's version mascot is going to be a Fire type, Moon's mascot on the other hand...is a bit mote complicated.

The moon is associated with many things, like the water, cold, madness, darkness, the dead, and the Fairy type seems to also be associated with the moon.

My guesses for Moon's mascot type are Water, Ice, Ghost, Dark or Fairy.

No, all we know is that these games exist. We know pretty much nothing else.

I hope the Sun legendary is a Fire/Grass serpent while the Moon legendary is a Fairy/Dark wolf. Wolves are often associated with the moon while serpents just fit the sun theme to me. Reptiles live in warm climates anyway because they're cold blooded. The Grass typing is due to how much plants love the sun and because many Grass types can use Sunny Day. Fairy typing for the Moon legendary is because of the move Moonblast. Both of these would also share the characteristic of having "opposite" typings. That is to say, have two types in which one of the types is weak to the other (Grass is weak to Fire, Dark is weak to Fairy).

Also, if this is the case, I can draw a crossover with my Zelda fic that uses a serpent and wolf for sun-themed and moon-themed bosses. :P

Edited by Anacybele

No, all we know is that these games exist. We know pretty much nothing else.

I hope the Sun legendary is a Fire/Grass serpent while the Moon legendary is a Fairy/Dark wolf. Wolves are often associated with the moon while serpents just fit the sun theme to me. Reptiles live in warm climates anyway because they're cold blooded. The Grass typing is due to how much plants love the sun and because many Grass types can use Sunny Day. Fairy typing for the Moon legendary is because of the move Moonblast.

I can get behind this, actually.

I doubt the legendary for Sun is a lion. We just got Litleo and Pyroar for Fire type lions, and some people also think Entei looks a bit like a lion (I think it looks more dog-like). We don't need another Fire type lion. And I don't think there's any way for the Sun legendary to NOT be Fire type.

And I doubt Moon's legendary is a bird. We have enough legendary birds... GameFreak can be more original than this, really.

There are many connections between Lions and the sun.

In the Zodiac, the Leo sign is associated with the sun.

The Persian Sun God, Mithra, is said to look like a lion.

The image of Lion and a Sun was one the symbols of Iran.

And the mane of a lion resembles a sun.

Moon's mascot may be flying and bird because there are many birds associated with the moon.

There are many connections between Lions and the sun.

In the Zodiac, the Leo sign is associated with the sun.

The Persian Sun God, Mithra, is said to look like a lion.

The image of Lion and a Sun was one the symbols of Iran.

And the mane of a lion resembles a sun.

Moon's mascot may be flying and bird because there are many birds associated with the moon.

So? None of this matters. It's still unoriginal and boring at this point.

Edited by Anacybele

So? None of this matters. It's still unoriginal and boring at this point.

Who knows? Just because they would have similar concepts doesn't mean they will be the same. I wouldn't dismiss it as unoriginal yet.

Changing the subject, there's something interesting that everyone should read:

The names Solgaleo and Lunalaa were not registered under Nintedo's or Game Freak's trademark.

The name were registered under the name of Yusuke Inui. So these names may not be related to Pokemon at all.

However it is interesting to note that Yusuke is a lawyer that specializes in IP.

Something interesting I found out:

Apparently ala means in wing in italian.

Which means Lunaala's name could mean Moon Wing.

A bird legendary maybe?

Maybe an owl or raven?

Spr_4p_488.png

So like this?

Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot that Cresselia exists. I wonder what GameFreak will do to make Moon's legendary different from it.

Who knows? Just because they would have similar concepts doesn't mean they will be the same. I wouldn't dismiss it as unoriginal yet.

Changing the subject, there's something interesting that everyone should read:
The names Solgaleo and Lunalaa were not registered under Nintedo's or Game Freak's trademark.
The name were registered under the name of Yusuke Inui. So these names may not be related to Pokemon at all.
However it is interesting to note that Yusuke is a lawyer that specializes in IP.

Well, for now, I'm going to call it unoriginal since I know nothing else about these names.

Hmm, interesting info there though...

Is there type of mythology that involves lions as important figures?

I mean while Lions appear in many mythologies, has there even been an important lion figure? I don't remember.

Granted I'm still haven't made my research , so I may be completely wrong.

The Sphinx but they have already covered it.

The Chimera, but it's more like a beast than a lion. Although, in Bible, it does seem like a lion with multiple heads.

Narasimha, the half man-half lion god who is one of the most popular Hindu deities.

The stone lion head. If you tell a lie and put your hand into its mouth, it will bite your hand off.

In many Asian and Middle East countries, lion statues are popular home guardian. (but not Japan and Vietnam, they have a pair of dogs for that role). There is also lion dancing.

Singapore Merlion but it's just a normal symbol with no special meaning or history behind it.

Edited by Magical CC

I totally forgot about Narasimha!

And it's interesting to note that Narasimha is an avatar of Vishnu, the Supreme God Hinduism.

Vishnu is particularly associated with light and especially with the Sun. And in some texts he is said to lead seven solar deities.

And another interesting thing is that Shiva, while not a moon god, is heavily associated with crescent moon.

He said to carry the moon on his head and gives it light.

And what symbol on Pokemon Moon's logo? A crescent moon.

This is getting interesting!

Maybe if we have a third version, it's mascot will be based on Brahma?

I totally forgot about Narasimha!

And it's interesting to note that Narasimha is an avatar of Vishnu, the Supreme God Hinduism.

Vishnu is particularly associated with light and especially with the Sun. And in some texts he is said to lead seven solar deities.

And another interesting thing is that Shiva, while not a moon god, is heavily associated with crescent moon.

He said to carry the moon on his head and gives it light.

And what symbol on Pokemon Moon's logo? A crescent moon.

This is getting interesting!

Maybe if we have a third version, it's mascot will be based on Brahma?

Why Brahma, if I may ask?

Why Brahma, if I may ask?

Brahma, Vishu and Shiva form a trinity of Hiduism's most powerful gods.

Brahma is the creator.

Vishnu is the preserver.

Shiva is the destroyer.

However, unlike Shiva and Vishnu, Brahma is the least worshipped god, and is not considered important anymore.

If they make a legendary trio based on the Hindu trinity, this makes sense.

There were similar cases before in Pokemon, such the Weather Trio and the Tao Trio.

I'm trying my hardest to resist my temptation tot derail everything by posting images of Robopon. I just think it's hilarious that things have come circle with this early Pokémon clone, and now the newest official Pokémon game is going to have the same subtitle (sun and moon) as it does.

I hope the legendary count stays low, since RSE and onwards make me feel like almost half of the legendaries come from events Arceus/Darkrai/shaymin/manaphy or Deoxys/latios/latias/jiracih or Genesect/Meloeta/victini/keldeo

Having just one or two makes them much more special. There aren't ever going to be any urban legends about these guys like mew and celebi had.

I kind of Doubt the sun or moon are going to have anything to do with the plot or legendary. I don't even see how they could be used to theme parts of the game like B/W tried to do with urbanism/ruralism.

I kind of feel like the game is going to be predicatable, and secretly wish Gamefreak would troll everyone by making missigno, enemy moveset's made up of TM/egg moves even early on, or moving away from freewheeling customization with your party(at least during the story), Maybe even have the rival trainer beat you to things other than the championship if you ignored time/plot and grinded up at your leisure, like access to the legendary, defeating the token bad gang, etc. They seem to want us to use trading anyway....

It's possible to assume that Pokemon Sun ad Moon's holiday release might one othe reasons for Zelda U's delay.

doubt it,

Smash Bros 4 Wii U and Pokemon ORAS came out on the same day

pokemon didn't delay the 2nd best selling Wii U game

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf

page 3

Pokemon Sun and Moon will release earlier in NA and JPN and later in EU

I thought it was said that it'd be a worldwide release? They pulled this crap with ORAS too, saying it would be worldwide and then making the EU release a week later than everyone else's. This really isn't fair to Europeans. And I'm not actually one of them, I'm just kind of defending them.

And I doubt this is a reason for Zelda Wii U's delay. Zelda is one of Nintendo's Big 3 as I like to call them. Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. A Zelda game will sell well no matter when it's released.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf

page 3

Pokemon Sun and Moon will release earlier in NA and JPN and later in EU

The schedule says "Winter 2016" for Japan, "Holiday 2016" for America, and "Late 2016" for Europe. That doesn't mean any of them is getting the games before the others, as the release date could still be global and fit all those time frames.

Yeah, now that I think about it, you're right, Jave. I certainly hope so. I remember seeing a lot of people upset when ORAS ended up coming out in Europe a week later than everywhere else after the worldwide release was stated. GameFreak and Nintendo would be stupid to pull that stunt again. A week may not seem like much of a difference on paper, but many people complete Pokemon games' main stories pretty fast and that can result in a lot of spoilers spreading around and crap.

Edited by Anacybele

doubt it,

Smash Bros 4 Wii U and Pokemon ORAS came out on the same day

pokemon didn't delay the 2nd best selling Wii U game

ORAS is a remake.

Sun and Moon is a completely new gen.

A new Pokemon gen would overshadow a new Zelda game, even if they are on different platforms.

Besides, Smash is much much bigger than Zelda and is on par with Pokemon.

New Pokemon Sun and Moon info will be revealed by Gamefreak on May 10th, several days before CoroCoro.

Frickin' finally.

Edited by The DanMan