Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (releases on the 4th!)

Anacybele

Favorite TP Dungeon  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which of TP's dungeons is your favorite?

• Forest Temple
    • Goron Mines
    • Lakebed Temple
    • Arbiter's Grounds
    • Snowpeak Ruins
    • Temple of Time
    • City in the Sky
    • Palace of Twilight
    • Hyrule Castle

My TP HD Amiibo bundle just shipped from GameStop, so others who ordered online should be seeing theirs shipped as well! TP HD officially releases tomorrow too, I believe, so people who didn't order online can go buy it at a store in the morning!

I made this thread to help celebrate Zelda's 30th anniversary, so let's all talk about this new remake! HAPPY 30th, ZELDA! :D

At first, I was actually highly against an HD remake of TP and felt that it wasn't necessary. TP already has great graphics that I thought and still don't think benefit much from being made in HD. I have the same opinion of Skyward Sword, my favorite Zelda, just to confirm that there's no bias. And I like TP too, actually. Imo, neither of them needed an HD remake.

But then I saw that the Wolf Link Amiibo will unlock a WHOLE NEW DUNGEON.

Why was this reason enough for me to get this remake? Because dungeons are my favorite thing about Zelda! It's a reason I was disappointed with MM and TWW. I felt MM had too few dungeons and that TWW should have kept the two dungeons that were cut from it. It's not the only reason I dislike them, but it is A reason. And dungeons are a reason I love ALttP. It has SO many dungeons! And despite a lot of them being difficult, they're still fun!

Now, I don't pick a favorite Zelda solely based on the number of dungeons it has. TMC is my favorite handheld Zelda and I don't think it has enough dungeons. I just also happened to enjoy the dungeons it did have, the story, and the characters a lot. The colorful sprite graphics in it are beautiful too. Skyward Sword could've also used one or two more dungeons, imo. But again, amazing story and characters and the dungeons were still great. So dungeons are a factor for me. Just not the only one.

Oh, also, the Wolf Link Amiibo can connect TP HD to Zelda Wii U via its data. I also couldn't resist that idea. :3

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the HD version would definitely fix the darkness of the game, and the gritty textures that the Gamecube ran in. I too got that package, but it was from Amazon, which means if it shipped out today, it could be dropped by drone on my front porch any time now. Then again, I don't know if Nashville Area has the option for drone delivery yet, given there is an international airport within 75 miles of my house.

This technically doesn't come out until tomorrow here, but my husband got a call from our LGS that they got them in today so he could come pick it up. He actually replayed regular TP rather recently, but it's been ages since I've played (since it first came out...), so he decided he would rather watch me play rather than play himself. :p Definitely looks pretty slick and it's been nice and fun so far, not that I've gotten too far into it (I just got the wooden sword). We got the SE, too, which came with the Wolf Link Amiibo and it looks super nice.

Aside from the sluggish intro, Twilight Princess is easily my favorite 3D Zelda. I love the art style, the music, the dungeons... everything is just wonderful. I 100%ed the Wii version and my brother got the GameCube version (for infinite spin attacks), so getting this remaster would be a triple dip. The additions are -

Improved graphics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTD0h0DZDgY

The Cave of Shadows - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1fC_-nCwt4

Ghost Lantern - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ2E5sSHFVo

And finally, the improved controls and Hero Mode from Wind Waker HD.

While all these are nice, I really don't think they're fleshed out enough for a $60 double (or triple) dip.

The graphics have anti-aliasing, improved textures, and display at 1080p. However, models have no additional polygons and there's no bump-mapping, so parts of the game still look flat, betraying its origins on a non-HD console. Oh, and the framerate is still 30 FPS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDv9RWQZfbw - I was really hoping they'd make it 60 FPS, especially since there are Wii U games that look better and also have 60 FPS.

The Cave of Shadows is literally just The Cave of Ordeals for wolf Link, reusing enemies and such. It's definitely not on the same level as a new dungeon. In fact, it's not even a dungeon - it's a cave. Gotta keep the facts straight.

The ghost lantern tells you if a poe is in the area you're in... and that's literally it. You have to collect 20 poes before it's available, it doesn't tell you how close you are, and if the poe disappears you still have to wait SIX MINUTES for the day to pass. Oh, and you can't "wear" it on your belt like the regular lantern, because f*** convenience. So poe hunting really wasn't improved much at all.

And then there's Hero Mode, which probably won't be hard at all since I already did a 3-heart challenge of Twilight Princess. I wonder if Nintendo will ever realize that creating more complex combat scenarios is far more satisfying than increasing the damage of enemies that never land hits in the first place. If there's one thing TP needed to better fit its dark tone, it was a genuine increase in challenge.

I'll probably get Twilight Princess HD, but I'm really not sure if I want to pay the full $60 for it. I'm a huge TP fan, so I want to make sure I get the amiibo with it.

Hey, a cave can be a dungeon. Turtle Rock in ALttP was practically a cave. And I don't see anyone saying that wasn't a dungeon.

But if it's like the Cave of Ordeals, that's not really what I had in mind... I might regret my purchase now...

I meant from a gameplay perspective. Usually when you bomb a rock and enter a subterranean chamber, you fight some enemies and grab a chest at the end. Generally speaking, caves don't have any exploration, puzzles, bosses, or unique music. So the Cave of Shadows is a cave, but not a dungeon.

I meant from a gameplay perspective. Usually when you bomb a rock and enter a subterranean chamber, you fight some enemies and grab a chest at the end. Generally speaking, caves don't have any exploration, puzzles, bosses, or unique music. So the Cave of Shadows is a cave, but not a dungeon.

That's kinda a downer, but hey, I'll still enjoy the game regardless.

Honestly, for something that's unlocked by an amiibo that might be in short supply early on, that's fine. Otherwise other people would be even more pissed that they'd be locked out of something significant. For now, the real value of the amiibo is the unspecified data transfer to Zelda Wii U, whenever that happens.

I'm looking forward to revisiting TP! After seeing a few comparison trailers, they did spruce up some models (many doors and such have added polygons to be less blocky). I do wish they'd given it the full lighting treatment that Wind Waker HD got but they have done a good job rejuvenating textures at least.

Friendly reminder that I hate everyone who have a WiiU, because I don't have one.

... and also that I find this amiibo kind of a BS, but that's another matter. More seriously, I hope you'll enjoy TP HD..

Edited by B.Leu

Haven't pre-ordered (never one to do that personally since I'm always able to get my hands on it), but I'm gonna pick it up today, have already confirmed it's available at a nearby store as well.

TP is my favourite Zelda game (and possibly favourite game of all time), so this was a no-brainer purchase for me. Sure it has its flaws, but I think the gameplay, characters, story, and dungeon designs more than make up for it.

Edited by DragonLord

aaaaah i hate you people i have to wait until wednesday-ish

You know, I never was excited for this. Until now. Waiting does strange things to people.

They didn't add a way to change night and day? Dropped the ball on that one.

Please tell me they did away with the "...But it won't fit in your wallet" thing... That's the only thing that really bothers me in the entire game. >_<;

Oh, and what about the magic armor?? Was it changed? I honestly would prefer it not to be, because it helps waste rupees when the above happens. >_>;

I will be going to get this Saturday, TP is my favorite Zelda and my mom keeps saying she may swipe the Wolf Link Amiibo from me :) I am looking forward to playing it in HD and with a new dungeon, plus its been a year or two since I last played it so I am looking forward to seeing the changes.

TP is my favourite Zelda game (and possibly favourite game of all time), so this was a no-brainer purchase for me. Sure it has its flaws, but I think the gameplay, characters, story, and dungeon designs more than make up for it.

I love just the general atmosphere, and such, and like you I love the dungeon designs especially the Goron Mines and the Ice Mansion.

aaaaah i hate you people i have to wait until wednesday-ish

You know, I never was excited for this. Until now. Waiting does strange things to people.

They didn't add a way to change night and day? Dropped the ball on that one.

Please tell me they did away with the "...But it won't fit in your wallet" thing... That's the only thing that really bothers me in the entire game. >_<;

Oh, and what about the magic armor?? Was it changed? I honestly would prefer it not to be, because it helps waste rupees when the above happens. >_>;

Apparently the wallet is bigger, at least. Not sure beyond that since I haven't gone to pick up my copy yet.

I just starting playing this today and wow, I remember this game being a lot better. I don't know why I bought it again. Well, I'm only an hour in so far so it'll get better once I get though the initial wolf part. The upgraded textures are nice though.

This is going to be a little weird for me since I played the Wii version, and everything was reversed.

Same here, though I had the GC version first. I just preferred the Wii version because of being able to equip an extra item and not having to sit there and charge before using a spin attack is nice.

I'm tired of Hero Mode though. I want Master Quest back. I LOVED OoT 3D Master Quest. It actually gave me a new, fun challenge. Hero Mode is just enemies doing more damage and not being able to recover your health easily.

Master Quest changed the dungeon puzzles and the dungeon locations of a collectible (Gold Skulltulas). I get that it's a little more work than Hero Mode, but the payoff is better! I never touch Hero Mode because it won't offer me anything I didn't experience in the regular playthrough. OoT Master Quest did.

PLZ BRING BACK MASTER QUESTS, NINTENDO. :( Why not as DLC or something? Or unlock it with an Amiibo? I'm willing to pay a few bucks for it!

PLZ BRING BACK MASTER QUESTS, NINTENDO. :( Why not as DLC or something? Or unlock it with an Amiibo? I'm willing to pay a few bucks for it!

I know they just amp up enemy damage and hinder recovery and mirror everything solely because it is way easier than designing a new dungeon. OoT had Master Quest already due to the bonus WW disc long ago so they just tacked it onto OoT3D but they probably wouldn't have bothered if they hadn't already made it.

I agree they could offer it as DLC. Reusing assets to remix a dungeon is not as time consuming as building one from the ground up, after all. But I guess lately Nintendo is just content to work on the next new game instead and save any ideas they may have. The one game where plain old Hero Mode works out is Link Between Worlds because you can tackle dungeons in different orders and feel how challenging or easy one dungeon is compared to another depending on when you start it, and also the Ice Dungeon is a real killer. But the others are just so predictable...

Edited by Samias

But it's not really designing a new dungeon, it's just changing the puzzles in each room. Sometimes you have to visit rooms in a different order, even. And all this really is is taking certain objects (blocks, switches, chests, etc) and putting them in different places. It shouldn't really be that hard. It's not like I'm asking Nintendo to make some new things from scratch. :P

As for the collectible that's put in different spots, Skyward Sword has the Goddess Cubes while TP has the golden bugs and poes. Although they'd probably go with poes in TP's case since they're actually found in dungeons as well as in the overworld. The bugs are only in the overworld.