Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (releases on the 4th!)

Anacybele

Favorite TP Dungeon  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which of TP's dungeons is your favorite?

• Forest Temple
    • Goron Mines
    • Lakebed Temple
    • Arbiter's Grounds
    • Snowpeak Ruins
    • Temple of Time
    • City in the Sky
    • Palace of Twilight
    • Hyrule Castle

Puzzles in Zelda games usually aren't hard, they're just designed to make you feel smart. That statue puzzle was one of the rare exceptions. Had nice music too.

Edited by Zera

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puzzles in Zelda games usually aren't hard, they're just designed to make you feel smart. That statue puzzle was one of the rare exceptions. Had nice music too.

needs more statue groaning. "reagh. orrrr."

While I'm not getting this game since I'm content with the Wii version I gotta admit it looks pretty good. A bit disappointed by the character models but theres only so much you can do. I do like how the Link's equipment like his shield has more vivid color though reminds me of Skyward Sword kind of. The environments look great though great re-textures. I wonder if they redid the audio at all since the GC and Wii versions still were using MIDI formats. Oh gonna be an oddball here but my favorite dungeon was Temple of Time I liked the boss but the beginning part of walking through the OoT Temple of Time in the beginning with that soundtrack was just awesome.

Am i the only one who loves that puzzle? Cuz i freaking love that puzzle and will just treasure the moments doing it. It never takes me too long, but i kinda want it to cuz i love it so much.

I hate that puzzle myself, but don't sweat it, I seem to be the only person that actually enjoyed TWW's Triforce Shard hunt in the original GC game.

I hate that puzzle myself, but don't sweat it, I seem to be the only person that actually enjoyed TWW's Triforce Shard hunt in the original GC game.

oh man i feel it. I hated the Triforce Hunt so damn much, so we have this trade-off. You know what i did love though? Finding the maps to the Triforce shards. That shit was in mini-dungeons and it was awesome.

My favorite dungeon for each game would probably be...

The Legend of Zelda: Either the second dungeon (the one with the Dodongo), the sixth one (the one with Gohma), or the seventh one (the one where you give the guy food). Definitely one of those three.

A Link to the Past: Probably Eastern Palace or Hyrule Castle Tower.

Ocarina of Time: It would be a tight race between Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly, the Forest Temple, and the Bottom of the Well.

Majora's Mask: Ugh. Well the Great Bay Temple can go die in a fire, that is seriously one of my most disliked levels in all of video games. It sucks so. Freaking. Much. Honestly, I'm not fond of any of these dungeons.

Oracle of Seasons: Probably either Gnarled Root or Snake's Remains.

Oracle of Ages: Probably Jabu-Jabu's Belly.

The Wind Waker: Dragon Roost Cavern.

Twilight Princess: Hyrule Castle (I also love Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak Ruins, and the Temple of Time).

A Link Between World's: Hmm...maybe Hyrule Castle (again).

As for the other games, I haven't beaten them. And in Minish Cap's case, I haven't played it (yet).

I remember last time I did this

[spoiler=statues]E3JCEZu.jpg

Puzzle took me hours.

Oh gosh I remember this! I enjoyed it, but at the same time I felt very frustrated at it. It took me a long time but eventually I got it.

For the most part, I remember the puzzles being good, some of the most enjoyable ones in the series, in my opinion.

oh man i feel it. I hated the Triforce Hunt so damn much, so we have this trade-off. You know what i did love though? Finding the maps to the Triforce shards. That shit was in mini-dungeons and it was awesome.

That's what I liked about the hunt! Huh...awkward.

They fixed this in Wind Waker HD. Remember how there were generic chests literally everywhere on the sea? And they would contain various amounts of rupees and trinkets? For WWHD, Nintendo said "Let every chest, without exception, contain a purple rupee." This does make the treasure hunting a bit more rewarding, but it also removes some of the surprise. Oh, but you'd better bet they didn't speed up that unnecessarily epic chest opening animation! You're gonna spend 10 minutes watching Link open chests.

They fixed this in Wind Waker HD. Remember how there were generic chests literally everywhere on the sea? And they would contain various amounts of rupees and trinkets? For WWHD, Nintendo said "Let every chest, without exception, contain a purple rupee." This does make the treasure hunting a bit more rewarding, but it also removes some of the surprise. Oh, but you'd better bet they didn't speed up that unnecessarily epic chest opening animation! You're gonna spend 10 minutes watching Link open chests.

Most of the treasure charts led you to chests with silver rupees and pieces of heart though, so at least you got something REALLY good out of those. And they removed the need to translate 3 of the charts, which freed up a ton of rupees to spend on... well, nothing. Or maybe doing the merchant trading sidequest for the magic armor or spending a little extra time at the auction house for that speed sail.

[spoiler=Twilight Princess plot spoilers]I realize this is an old game but in case people are playing for the first time... spoiler tags. I've been playing Twilight Princess for a few hours each day. The dungeons are fun and longer than average compared to LTTP or OoT, but ugh. All the stuff in between. I never understood the kidnapping at the beginning of the game. Every other game usually imperils characters who have some important role in Link's destiny but these kids aren't anything special except they're Link's friends. So the fact they get nabbed and Link doesn't has always left me scratching my head. Taking over 2 hours to get to the first dungeon was a drag, and then doing all that back and forth so early to get into the Goron Mine was also kind of a downer. I don't really like the King Bulblin fight the first time as it's just a bunch of repetitive sword flailing while running around in circles up until the joust, which just ends super fast aside from screwing up the timing a bunch. The early bosses are also VERY easy. Fyrus's recovery animation is so long I can nock another arrow and aim it perfectly just in time to make him vulnerable all over again. And the wolf howling segments are just... oof. Never did like them. Song of Healing as wolf howls is very cringeworthy. Oh well, I do enjoy tracking down the golden bugs between areas at least, and the dungeons themselves are quite well designed once you get to them. I'm looking forward to the Lakebed Temple as I like it more when the dungeons are confusing and challenging and I remember it being one of the harder dungeons with an easy-but-fun boss at the end. I switched my targeting to 3rd person to get the old reticule back, which is a lot more accurate than the new 1st person mode IMO. I'm glad it's an option to change it. I wish the Wiimote was supported because the fishing hole in TP was sooooooo good, I'm gonna miss the semi realistic reeling motion when I go back to it.

Favorite dungeon in each mainline Zelda i've played?

Zelda I: Level 6

Zelda II: Palace on the Sea

ALTTP: Ice Palace

Link's Awakening: Eagle Tower

Ocarina: Spirit Temple

Majora's Mask: Stone Tower

Oracle of Ages: Moonlit Grotto

Oracle of Seasons: Dancing Dragon

Wind Waker: The Earth Temple

Minish Cap: Palace of Winds

Twilight Princess: Goron Mines (While I love the 4 I mentioned, the Goron Mines had some reallllly cool things I enjoyed for an early game dungeon and the new use of the Iron Boots tickled me)

Skyward Sword: Sandship

Edited by Jedi

TWW's Triforce Chart Quest would be significantly cooler if there were only two-three pieces put in full dungeons. The HD version's fix is welcome though. Even if TWW gives way more cash than anyone will ever need, especially considering the tricks to getting a ton at once if you're strapped when trying to pay Tingle.

[spoiler=Twilight Princess plot spoilers]Song of Healing as wolf howls is very cringeworthy.

[spoiler=Hyrule Hystoria]I like the symbolism of putting Song of Healing as the first one at least. The Hero's Shade being the Hero of Time, laden with grief over various things, being sung the song he played to "heal the soul" of various Terminans, by the one who's ultimately going to let the poor guy pass on peacefully. It's sweet since the song is ultimately helping serve the purpose it had in MM.

...I actually didn't mind how they sound tbh

So I've spent about 7 hours so far into TP HD, and I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Textures look great, and I'm appreciative of the small changes such as the shorter Tears of Light quests, and small tweaks to improve the flow of the game. I have to say, Hero Mode is actually quite a challenge. I never realized that the game would actually be difficult with the lack of heart drops, and I'm enjoying the new experience.

I have some minor nitpicks though. First is that Link appears really shaky during cutscenes, which is really distracting. Also, cutscenes in general really highlight the dated character models, which I kinda wish they also updated. My other major complaint, is that the horse controls seem worse now, not sure if it's just Hero Mode, but Epona seems less responsive than the Wii and GameCube version. I would frequently stop in my tracks because Epona wouldn't turn in time. That's a big problem for me, since they advertised better controls as a selling point. Am I the only one who experienced that issue here? I've heard other people mention the same issue as well on other sites.

As for the poll question, I'm stuck between Arbiter's Grounds and Temple of Time as my favourite dungeon in this game. Leaning toward Temple of Time, because that first encounter with a Darknut was epic as hell. My least favourite would be the Lakebed Temple. Not because it's confusing or anything, but because it's just a boring dungeon in my opinion.

Edited by DragonLord

My least favorite temple is goron mines, simply because I hate walking around slowly upside down with the iron boots. Not a big fan of the first three dungeons generally, I think the rest are pretty great. I guess my favorite is the palace of twilight. It had great atmosphere, better than any of em except the castle, and the castle was kinda short but sweet so twighlight palace feels like a fuller dungeon.

Edited by Sane Young Dog Man

I love that the Song of Healing and Requiem of Spirit were made into wolf songs in TP! They're two of my favorites from OoT and MM. Now if the Elegy of Emptiness was also a wolf song, that'd be perfect. <3

But TWW HD removed a lot of the goodies you found in chests in the sea? I actually find that disappointing. What about secret charts like the Great Fairy Chart, Island and Sea Hearts Charts, Platform Chart, and so on? You had to find those in the sea. I know you find at least a couple of them at Eye Reef islands after clearing them, and others you find with certain treasure charts. And if memory serves, you find the Platform Chart in a sub near Crescent Moon Island. Admittedly, by the time I get around to getting the Great Fairy Chart I've already visited every Great Fairy, but...yeah. :P

Or is it only the random chests that don't require treasure charts and all?

Edited by Anacybele

I really liked Wolf!Requiem of Spirit, yeah. It was really haunting, beautifully so.

Wolf!Ballad of Gales was nice, even though OoT/MM Link never actually heard the song in his games, was really nice too.

I love that the Song of Healing and Requiem of Spirit were made into wolf songs in TP! They're two of my favorites from OoT and MM. Now if the Elegy of Emptiness was also a wolf song, that'd be perfect. <3

But TWW HD removed a lot of the goodies you found in chests in the sea? I actually find that disappointing. What about secret charts like the Great Fairy Chart, Island and Sea Hearts Charts, Platform Chart, and so on? You had to find those in the sea. I know you find at least a couple of them at Eye Reef islands after clearing them, and others you find with certain treasure charts. And if memory serves, you find the Platform Chart in a sub near Crescent Moon Island. Admittedly, by the time I get around to getting the Great Fairy Chart I've already visited every Great Fairy, but...yeah. :P

Or is it only the random chests that don't require treasure charts and all?

WWHD didn't remove any of that. I think they were only referring to random chests, to make them more worthwhile to dredge up.

Also seems like I'm in the minority here not enjoying the wolf songs, even as a kid. I love the songs chosen but the arrangement made out of pitch bent MIDI wolf howls felt more like a butchery than a good homage. There's something about it that just feels extremely silly despite the serious visuals. Personally I feel Twilight Princess has one of the weakest of all Zelda soundtracks especially on the heels of Wind Waker, which was one of my favourites. Doesn't help that TP did not get the remastered soundtrack treatment that parts of WW got. Some songs, like the night time Hyrule field music, could have been much better with a resampling. However Twilight Princess does have a wonderfully spaghetti western Hidden Village shootout and the silliness of that always puts a smile on my face.

However Twilight Princess does have a wonderfully spaghetti western Hidden Village shootout and the silliness of that always puts a smile on my face.

Hidden Village shootout is the best thing ever. My favorite part of the game. :3

Speaking of favorite things, does Rollgoal have motion controls or not? I love Rollgoal in the Gamecube version, but motion controls might ruin it for me. :x