Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (releases on the 4th!)

Anacybele

Favorite TP Dungeon  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which of TP's dungeons is your favorite?

• Forest Temple
    • Goron Mines
    • Lakebed Temple
    • Arbiter's Grounds
    • Snowpeak Ruins
    • Temple of Time
    • City in the Sky
    • Palace of Twilight
    • Hyrule Castle

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing for half an hour so far.

Swimming is super slow now, though the dash is probably the same speed.

Why is there a gate closing the area where the monkey is? Like...why would the people of the village put a METAL gate up?

The cat scene is sped up so fast I don't know what happened. And it grabs the very first fish now! :D

Epona doesn't seem to control very well...

I can't aim for shit with a hawk. My brain can't use those controls.

Climbing ladders and vines is very fast now.

Pick-up range for rupees is bigger. It's very noticeable getting the blue and yellow rupees on the tree branches above the beehive.

The collection screen is so different. Not sure if good or bad. It was fine the way it was.

The amiibo is quite heavy, was not expecting that. :o And it doesn't give Midna's weapon in Hyrule Warriors... ;-; I was hoping...

edit: Actually, it's more proper to say there IS a pick-up range on rupees. You had to step on them before.

edit 2: Well shit, the hawk uses the camera controls. :| I'll be zooming improperly but I can sort of manage the hawk now.

Edited by Tsamimi

Hawk and slingshot, which means the bow also. Looks like my epic bow skills won't come into play. :|

It didn't do that before?

Never did for me. Always had to catch a second one.

edit: Regarding the sword not hitting the wall:

I just reached the first cave and I can swing freely without hitting the damn walls. Still doesn't make it make any sense but it's so CONVENIENT oh my goodness.

Edited by Tsamimi

I always had to catch a second fish too. Even my strategy guide said you have to do that.

I'll finally start playing my copy in a little while. I had chosen to keep watching my show yesterday...and I finished it too. Was rather sad for me, I was enjoying it THAT much, I guess. :( But gotta move on, ya know. I'm going on vacation over this weekend too, so I've only got a few days to play this.

Edited by Anacybele

Epona doesn't seem to control very well...

I mentioned this before, that's a really big problem, since it's supposed to be improved, but it looks like the exact opposite happened.

I'll be logging observations (and some personal notes).

Prepare yourselves.

And tell me if I should spoiler my walls of text.

On with the adventure:

-King Bulbin's face, wow. Quite the change. He looks very old now.

-The twilight just isn't the same without the glow. :(

-First time as wolfLink: the area with the spiral stairs now has a solid floor in the middle--with a layer of water--instead of being a pool of water.

-Tears of light. Aside from there being less of them, they behave differently: it's possible to acquire them as soon as they spawn and as they are floating to the ground (I think they still spawn in midair); and, they float towards you if you're within a certain distance. Very helpful and smooth. I only know one of the...four?...that are missing: the one outside the lantern guy's house. For shame, I don't know the game as well I thought. :(

-I found a chest when following the monkey that I never knew was there... If it isn't new, shame on me.

-The motion controls for aiming are stable. Much better than in WWHD.

-Opening the first chest in Forest Temple greeted me with "You got 10 rupees" instead of "You got a yellow rupee". Having the numbers feels goofy; it made me laugh in a bad way.

-Found my first stamp. This will be interesting to see where they all are. Something new to collect! :D

-Chests are a brighter blue? They stick out more which is rather handy. Might just be the tv...

-May or may not be new: The rope before the mini-boss, where the 4 monkeys help you across... The rope, even with the monkeys on it, sways with the breeze.

I blame the tv. The colors look great on the gamepad but awful on the tv. But I like the tv's colors for other games so I don't want to change it... But playing on the gamepad gets rather laggy... Ugh, stupid tvs. /complain

I mentioned this before, that's a really big problem, since it's supposed to be improved, but it looks like the exact opposite happened.

I don't have free-range on Epona yet, but the little bit so far is bad.

Getting stuck on walls instead of sliding along them. Takes too long to start turning. Stops dead mid-turn.

Really screws up your momentum and is just super clunky. :\

Speaking of controls, the camera takes too long to respond.

Also, Link doesn't roll into another roll. Somehow. There's a noticeable delay between rolls.

How do you "improve" already perfect controls? I knew it wasn't going to end well. The only thing that could be improved is underwater swimming, which they apparently did touch up. I'll find out how that went soon enough...

My bias is showing.

I miss that too. But oh well...

I'm about to enter the Forest Temple and I've noticed some of the differences you guys have pointed out.

One no one's mentioned though: Uli walks to her house a bit faster. SO glad of that. I know she's preggers, but seriously, she moved like a snail before.

Epona can be steered with the camera! Just keep the left stick pointed up and use the right stick to "move the ground".

Looks really funny sometimes Epona doesn't look like she's turning.

And obviously this doesn't work in areas you can't move the camera.

I miss first person PoV, it's very helpful for investigating a room for secrets.

I miss that too. But oh well...

I'm about to enter the Forest Temple and I've noticed some of the differences you guys have pointed out.

One no one's mentioned though: Uli walks to her house a bit faster. SO glad of that. I know she's preggers, but seriously, she moved like a snail before.

First person PoV: click the right stick.

Uli: I'm usually a jerk running straight to the house. ^^;

Edited by Tsamimi

I didn't know the Arbiter's Grounds were a favorite, it's my favorite as well. I always had a soft spot for it, great boss despite being so easy, the atmosphere's great, I liked the non-linear progression of it, I liked the puzzles, I liked everything really.

As for Twilight Princess HD I haven't bought it and I dunno if I want to. I'll keep playing Fates until I get bored and maybe then I'll grab it, but I have a lot of games on my backburner so I dunno if I'll buy it then actually.

Arbiter's Grounds always seemed to be a popular dungeon in the game from what I've seen. :P

Hey, I noticed something else that's new: the map now shows you where horse grass is. It's easier to see if you use the gamepad's map. I like this, because I always hated that you got the Horse Call so late and I always forgot where horse grass was other than the obvious places in Ordon.

Also, is it just me or are there fewer Tears of Light now? That just blows, the game was already kind of easy as it is...

Edited by Anacybele

I can't get over the ladders. So fast. Makes me giggle.

Onward to Eldin.

-The portals on the map are bright blue now. Makes them harder to see...

-Second batch of tears. The one inside the soon-to-be Malo Mart is gone, which makes that little entrance completely pointless--it gets boarded over once the twilight is gone. Pretty sure there was one in the upper floor of the hotel. The one in the graveyard is gone. The one in the pot in the building waaay above the bomb shop is gone, making that digging spot pointless.

-Wrangling Epona is different. I never understood the point of it; follow the prompts and bada-bing-boom-bang done, too easy. But in this version if you just follow the prompts you'll keep getting thrown off. The prompts are pretty pointless here...just keep Link centered on Epona.

-Chasing down King Bulblin, then the battle on the bridge: tedious with these crappy controls. And those prompts on the bridge are nothing more than distractions.

-On the path to Death Moutain I made a goron roll uphill. I've managed to sneak past that particular goron a few times, but he never turned around like this.

-Gor Coron looks so very old.

-When pulling out the wall with the chain in Goron Mines (there are some of these walls in Arbiter's Grounds as well) the camera actually stays put when you move it. Very nice.

-You still can't freely move the camera when magnetized to the walls. :(

-The key by the beamos in the first (open) area that has bulblin archers is now in a blue chest instead of a small wooden chest. Guess it's supposed to make it easier to see?

-THIRD PERSON AIMING IS CHEATING, HOLY CRAP.

-Pretty confident Hyrule Field's theme was changed/remade/whatever.

Also, is it just me or are there fewer Tears of Light now? That just blows, the game was already kind of easy as it is...

There are fewer tears of light. I'm annoyed by it.

Here is a full list of changes between TP and TP HD - http://zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Twilight_Princess_HD#Changes_and_Additions

These changes sound bad -

• The heat wave graphic effect in the lava areas in Goron Mines is removed.
  • Link will no longer hit his sword against walls; instead, it simply goes through them, making combat more manageable shallower in close quarters.

It makes no sense remove realistic effects and collisions in a game whose entire concept was to be more realistic than the last.

-THIRD PERSON AIMING IS CHEATING, HOLY CRAP.

Yup. This is how it originally was in Twilight Princess anyway on the Wii, but with the HD resolution it's even easier to get a precise shot. It's just better than 1st person even if Link is hanging out in the corner, due to that targeting reticle showing you exactly where your arrow is going to hit.

Also I didn't think the swimming controls were that good either, at least for tight corridors. In a big open area like against Morpheel it's not bad but there's a rather enclosed space just before getting the boss key and it was not fun trying to get through those doors. Felt about as clunky as Majora's Mask and the Zora form to be honest... actually, the Zora mask feels better because at least I can super jump out of the water. Here, you have to let go of the swim button to surface with no method of fast breaching. THEN you can climb on land instead of swimming into the wall like a doofus. I didn't like how Skyward Sword controlled in water either (ugh those motion controls) but at least that game also had Link able to leap gracefully out of the water too. In TP HD, Link also has a tendency to turn backwards underwater when trying to simply go up. Might have something to do with inverted vertical though, despite those being the default.

Edit: For Epona control woes, apparently diagonals just don't do anything. When dashing, you're best off hitting a hard left or right to make her go in the direction you want.

Edited by Samias

Go into your collection screen, then go to options. Scroll down a bit and you should see an option to change your aiming perspective. I can't remember exactly how they word it but since there's not much to toggle it should be obvious.

How do you swap to third person aim?

It's an option in the settings, I've been using it since I started. Mostly cause the first person aiming is more unreliable.

Edited by DragonLord

So diagonal input doesn't affect Epona at all... I wonder why they changed that? It's not like Epona's controls didn't work before.

It makes no sense remove realistic effects and collisions in a game whose entire concept was to be more realistic than the last.

Yeah, this. Seriously. :/

Oh yeah, I stopped last night after returning light to Eldin Province. So that's where I'm at now.

So diagonal input doesn't affect Epona at all... I wonder why they changed that? It's not like Epona's controls didn't work before.

Pretty much it sucks now.

I see news reports saying that it was "improved", but I have no idea what they were trying to improve. That you could no longer make subtle adjustments when sprinting?

GCN Version, I can make those quick turns with a subtle tilting of the stick:
WIi U version, trying to do the same input does nothing:
It may look like I'm being an idiot in the second vid, and that's what it felt like, but I was seriously trying to make her turn as quickly as the GCN version. It just doesn't work.
It's hilarious looking at other forums and seeing people defend it saying it's just as "clunky". The difference is I actually played through the GCN version again a few months ago, so I think my recent experience is more reliable than their memory from almost a decade ago, lmao.
Can't wait to see what the swimming is like now lol.

How does this game actually work? Does it use the remote like in the Wii version? It's probably not mirrored, seeing how Link is wielding the sword in his left hand.

Edited by BrightBow