Zelda: Twilight Princess HD (releases on the 4th!)

Anacybele

Favorite TP Dungeon  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which of TP's dungeons is your favorite?

• Forest Temple
    • Goron Mines
    • Lakebed Temple
    • Arbiter's Grounds
    • Snowpeak Ruins
    • Temple of Time
    • City in the Sky
    • Palace of Twilight
    • Hyrule Castle

Yes I got it right after I got my Wii because it looked like fun and reminded me of Duck Hunt a bit, but after I got platinum on every challenge I stopped playing Link's Crossbow and have not played it since. The sad thing is that was the only game I used the sapper with, I never have really gotten into shooters.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Link's hair doesn't get darker when wet. His clothes still do.

Boooo.

-The cannon repair scene is sped up.

-Ganondorf horseback fight: does Zelda use her light arrows faster/more often?

Watching some gameplay videos, I noticed no difference for either of these.

One more: When looking in the mirror in Link's basement, first-person PoV shows an "angry" expression in the HD version whereas it's a neutral expression in the GCN version.

Watching some gameplay videos, I noticed no difference for either of these.

Just checked vids for the cannon repair... I remember the HD version being faster yesterday. >:| I must have been half-asleep when I saw it ingame.

/facepalm

-Link's hair doesn't get darker when wet. His clothes still do.

Clarification and correction:

His hair changes color with his starting outfit, but not with the Hero's Clothes nor Magic Armor. In both HD and GCN.

That was bad... /hangs head in shame

Edited by Tsamimi

Comparing swimming in both versions right now. Here's what I'm noticing...

You know how on land Link can turn 180 degrees very fast? He can do that in the water in the HD version but not in the GCN version.

Surface paddling (non-dash) is slower in HD. This was the very first thing I noticed!

Underwater swimming has a couple things. 1) Going under the surface. In GCN you dive down a bit before you gain control over movement. In HD you have immediate control, without the diving part. 2) Coming up to the surface. In GCN you surface immediately. In HD you have to come to a dead stop in order to surface; this allows for swimming just under the surface without accidentally surfacing.

Personally I'd like a mix of both. That diving startup is bad, HD wins there. But as for surfacing, I'd rather surface immediately instead of having to come to a complete stop. Not to mention, with the quick about-face you end up facing away from the ledge you want to climb and start paddling away from it. >_> Oh well...

With practice, I'm sure the HD surfacing would become pretty natural.

Again, this is just what I'm noticing.

~~

If you want to experience the glitchy-twitchy grass, go into the treasure hole in Ordon Ranch. Beat up the rats and withhold the desire to break pots.

Edited by Tsamimi

I can confirm that Stallord phase 2 still has three rounds! I finished Arbiter's Grounds yesterday. It's just that the Stallord battle was actually made MORE difficult in the second phase by adding more spikes to the spinner tracks in the end. I could SWEAR that the tracks on the outer wall never had spikes in any part of the second phase in the original game, but in the HD version, they get spikes in the third round.

In short, the battle is even MORE awesome than before!

I haven't gone to Snowpeak yet though, I went and hunted for more goodies first. :P I've found 22 Poe souls, 16 stamps, and around half of the golden bugs so far. I also got a new wallet, a bigger quiver, a third bottle with the Great Fairy Tears from Jovani, and the Ghost Lantern. You guys must check out the two dark caves (there's one in Lake Hylia, right near where you meet Auru and one in the field south of Kakariko), they're littered with treasure! I found stamps and pieces of heart in both! Speaking of which, I have 11 hearts now after all that. :P Oh, there are Poes in both caves too.

Also, if you see circles of stones or grass, use your wolf senses! You might find that you can dig your way into a secret grotto that has more treasure!

There's also a stamp and a piece of heart in the cave down below the Eldin Bridge. I'm trying to collect all the stamps and as many Poe souls and pieces of heart as possible! I also always get all the bugs because they're so pretty. :P

Edited by Anacybele

I can confirm that Stallord phase 2 still has three rounds! I finished Arbiter's Grounds yesterday. It's just that the Stallord battle was actually made MORE difficult in the second phase by adding more spikes to the spinner tracks in the end. I could SWEAR that the tracks on the outer wall never had spikes in any part of the second phase in the original game, but in the HD version, they get spikes in the third round.

@bolded: O-outer wall...spikes...? I have enough difficulty with the third round trying to get inbetween the inner wall spikes, outer wall spikes would've made it unbelievably difficult for me... Maybe I've stricken them from my memory.

How in hell did I get only two rounds? ._. I think that's happened a few times in GCN, but most often it's three rounds. What sort of conditions are in place...?

~~

Compilation post, of sorts. Because why not.

Just my stuff that hasn't been touch upon and that I checked against the GCN version.

Green means go correct, red means incorrect, blue means inconclusive/see notes.

-Climbing ladders and vines is very fast now.

-Pick-up range for rupees is bigger.

-I found a chest when following the monkey that I never knew was there... If it isn't new, shame on me.

-->It is not new, and I had even opened it already in one of my GCN files.

-"You got 10 rupees" instead of "You got a yellow rupee". Having the numbers feels goofy

-->GCN has "You got a yellow Rupee (10)!" Bad memory, yay.

-Chests are a brighter blue? They stick out more which is rather handy.

-->They are definitely brighter, but it might simply be the graphical update.

-Link doesn't roll into another roll. Somehow. There's a noticeable delay between rolls.

-->I was having control issues: it got better as I progressed and it's also like this in GCN.

-The portals on the map are bright blue now.

-->Lighter blue, as opposed to darker blue.

-When pulling out the wall with the chain in Goron Mines (there are some of these walls in Arbiter's Grounds as well) the camera actually stays put when you move it.

-The key by the beamos in the first (open) area that has bulblin archers is now in a blue chest instead of a small wooden chest.

-The boulder blocking the cave near Eldin Spring now leaves climbable rubble.

-In the GCN version, each time you load the file and step on a non-green rupee you get the "You got a __ rupee" message. In the HD version that only happens the first time in the save file, not every single time you load the file.

-The button controls for the spinner...are backwards to the GCN version.

-Snowboarding controls seem a little different? Harder to keep stable.

-->I find it very steady in GCN, and hard to keep a straight line in HD. Might be because of the way the camera works in HD--it's difficult to keep a straight line when RUNNING.

-The gold cucco glides much faster now.

-->Same speed.

Questions:

-What are the stopwatches on the map?

-->Denotes mini-games, the fortune teller, and Agitha's Castle. Don't know why a stopwatch.

-I just found...a beehive with bees SWARMING over it... Ewwwwww. Were they always like this? D:

-->Yup...

-WolfLink can destroy torches?!

-->Certain type of torch.

-The treasure hole by the one poe on Snowpeak, in which is a wall of ice and three big ice monsters... Was the chest always inside the middle ice monster?

-->Yup.

From this I have learned to not rely on my memory for speed comparisons.

Extra:

The glitchy-twitchy grass is also in GCN.

"Dark Link" is also in GCN.

@bolded: O-outer wall...spikes...? I have enough difficulty with the third round trying to get inbetween the inner wall spikes, outer wall spikes would've made it unbelievably difficult for me... Maybe I've stricken them from my memory.

How in hell did I get only two rounds? ._. I think that's happened a few times in GCN, but most often it's three rounds. What sort of conditions are in place...?

Yep, outer wall spikes! Though the spikes on the central pillar still fuck me up more often. But because of the outer wall spikes, I had to jump to the central pillar more often, resulting in those central pillar spikes knocking me down more than before. That's why I said the battle was made harder.

And I dunno... What do you mean by conditions?

Also, I discovered another something! Agitha gives you a stamp after you give her 12 golden bugs. Meaning half of them. And of course, the stamp is the Agitha stamp. :P

I also found a good way to get the rare Chu jelly, which I'm always after! There's a secret grotto on Snowpeak. The first time you enter, it's automatically there behind some bombable rocks. If you fail at it though, you can keep going in and out to reset the Chu Chu inside until it's sparkly gold (that's the rare Chu Chu). I got the jelly this way. FINALLY. :D This jelly is awesome because it functions like the Great Fairy Tears!

You can also keep going back to that tunnel at the Bridge of Hylia, though it might be a little more tedious.

Also nabbed me another bomb bag and a fourth bottle before going to Snowpeak. I forget if there are four or five bottles in this game though...

Edited by Anacybele

Ugh, fuck.

Sorry for the double post, but I think I might have run into a game-breaking bug that's causing me to be unable to continue. I can't reach the Sacred Grove to get to the Temple of Time. I can fly to the entrance with the gold cucco from Rusl just fine, but that's where I'm trapped. The bridge is facing the wrong direction and the Gale Boomerang can't reach it. And the cucco can't fly high enough to get me over it.

I don't remember ever having this problem in the original game.

Yeah, that didn't do anything. I just did it for kicks, really. But am I really permanently stuck?

If so, this really really fricking blows... I hope Nintendo fixes this like they fixed the Pokemon X/Y Lumiose bug and the bug in Skyward Sword that prevented some players from getting the cutscene of Link being imprisoned in Eldin Volcano when it should've triggered.

Edited by Anacybele

By "conditions" I meant like how much damage or how many attacks you do might change the number of rounds. Maybe even how many times you get knocked off the wall? I dunno. I was just wondering out loud, sorry. xD

Four bottles.

The gale boomerang is supposed to reach the bridge. I think it doesn't reach if you just chuck it, meaning you have to lock on. If it won't reach after locking/won't even lock I have no clue what's going on...

Edited by Tsamimi

I think the outer wall spikes were always there. Notably all spikes vanish when Stallord is firing his fireballs at you. How merciful of him.

This was a problem in the original but it sucks there's no Sun's Song/Song of Double Time/Song of Passing in this game. Poe hunting can only be done at night and it would have been more helpful than the lantern now that the game has an area counter as well...

I know, I wish there was something in the game that could change day to night and night to day myself. It'd seriously make Poe hunting easier.

I realized my problem in the Sacred Grove, btw. I had to freaking target the bridge. Gods I feel like an idiot. I was trying to target it from the beginning, but I must've been pressing the wrong button. -_-

So yeah, Temple of Time completed as well as the City in the Sky. I also got the Hawkeye and Magic Armor. :D And I have about 30 stamps now. I also made a Miiverse post using them to spell a certain message I'd been waiting to do. Hee hee. It should be obvious what it is when you see it. lol The stamps actually made me want to explore more to keep finding them, and as a result, I found treasure chests and secret grottos that I hadn't ever found in the original game. So cool. ^^

I still haven't gotten very far in this sadly (I just finished collecting the Tears of Light for Eldin), but it's really been a blast playing this game again. The HD (and having a larger TV in general) looks very nice, and I'm appreciating being able to play with the gamepad instead of the motion controls (since I only had the Wii version). It's been so long since I played the original TP that it almost feels like a new game, since there's very little I remember aside from it being very cool and atmospheric.

The biggest downside is that it still triggers my motion sickness, so I can only play for an hour or so at a time at most.

Yeah, I really wish you could change day to night and vice versa. It would have been more useful than refilling arrows

Unfortunately, TP Link has a magical ability roughly equivalent of zero.

The biggest downside is that it still triggers my motion sickness, so I can only play for an hour or so at a time at most.

What causes your motion sickness? That sounds most undesirable.

Is it this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness#Videogame-Related_Motion_Sickness

Edited by Zera

Motion sickness can be caused by any form of motion, whether it's riding in a car or plane or boat or playing video games. I get car motion sickness most often, but now that I look at that wikipedia page, I realize I've occasionally had video game motion sickness as well. But it's very rarely happened.

What you can do though, Kirie, is get some medicine for it. I bought some myself some time ago and it actually worked great when I was on a road trip last week. I didn't get sick at all, even during my stepdad's driving, which usually always makes me sick. >_< It's not his fault, it just happens.

Yeah, I think the only magic he ever uses is the Dominion Rod.

My Miiverse post didn't get any Yeahs... D: Aw, oh well. It was still fun to make. ^^

Does Midna's stuff count? And maybe the master sword with the light from the twilight realm counts?

I get motion sickness from a lot of things, sadly. For video games, it's usually caused by rapid first-person-perspective movement, especially if there's lots of spinning/turning, so 3D Zelda games tend to be some of the worst in that respect for me. I do have medication that I take for actual motion-related motion sickness (such as plane rides), but it doesn't seem to help me much for vision-related motion sickness, like from video games or watching things in 3D. So, generally what I do, and what I'm doing for my TP playthrough, is just only playing for an hour or so at a time, and then taking a break for at least an hour before starting up again. Drinking tonic water also helps.

(I'm actually really excited about upgrading to the N3DS, though, since the improved 3D means that I can actually watch 3D cutscenes for, like, 5-10 minutes at a time, instead of my current 3DS where I can hardly even glance at it without feeling ill.)

In TP-related news, I just finished wrestling with a bunch of Gorons and made my way up to the mines. I totally failed so hard at the bridge scene, but managed to scrape by eventually (after getting knocked into the chasm like 5 times).

The Dominion Rod was technology according to the Oocca.

Does Midna's stuff count? And maybe the master sword with the light from the twilight realm counts?

No, since neither were really his doing, it was Midna and the Sols.