What score would you give to Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War?

OliKad

Your opinion on Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Your rating on a scale from 1 to 10 for Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu?

Well, I've been only two on this forum. I first thought that FE4 was regarded as one of the best in the series. However, the more I read on SF, the more I think that this game gets a LOT of haters in this community.

So, I made this poll to see the real situation! :D:

In short, what would be your rating out of 10 for FE4?

I'd give it an 8, even though it's my favourite FE. It's not perfect, with the overly large maps, and broken gameplay at times. Despite these however, it's still a great game in my opinion.

Edited by DragonLord

6 out of 10, it does a few things right, like making the Holy Weapons insanely powerful, being the first game to implement marriage and children, and allowing you to repair weapons without magic, but several odd design choices ruin it for me, such as needing a certain skill to double, making the maps needlessly big, and practically needing a guide to prevent the game from screwing you over. Granted, it's not as bad as FE5 in the guide game regard, but it's still an issue

That said, I still have a good time with it, despite my issues with the gameplay, so it gets a 6 out of 10.

I frankly don't know. I used to adore the game, used to be my favorite in the series, but looking back, while the story is great and the game is a ton of fun as long as you can keep things moving and don't get bogged down in the massive maps, the gameplay is easily the most blatantly poorly balanced in the entire series. Seriously, what I would pay to know what the thought process was for whoever made the stats for the magic tomes. I really want to know what their justification was for making them identical and just having certain elements be lighter.

I give it an 8.

Does marriage and kids rights, has a great plot and I like how insanely powerful Holy Weapons are. However, in my opinion, the second gen cast require that you like their parent to like them since they tend to be very similar to their parent, gameplay can be very broken, massive mounted bias and maps can be too large at times making back-tracking tedious, especially when you want to promote.

All-in-all an amazing game that has some minor flaws that bring it down from a 9 or even a 10.

I first thought that FE4 was regarded as one of the best in the series. However, the more I read on SF, the more I think that this game gets a LOT of haters in this community.

FE4 used to be regarded a lot better in general to my recollection when I first joined, but maybe people repeatedly telling how great FE4 is made people see its flaws. I wouldn't say it gets an abundance of haters (though I have seen people that do hate it), but my opinion is that it wasn't as good as many people stated it was.

I still like it, but the tedium of the maps drags and so if I had to give it a rating it probably would be a 6 or 7.

I really like this game, mostly because of the atmosphere it sets, the setting itself and the soundtrack. It doesn't have a lot of my favorite things in Fire Emblem (The map design is pretty bad. The balance is just awful. It's pretty easy), but despite all of that I still love it, since I find it a lot of fun to play through.

I give it a 8/10

Edited by Nobody

Despite utterly despising the 10 point system I went with an 8.

Which rating system would you choose?

I love the story, the castles, the weapons, Holy Blood, the fact that you can use your whole army and the way marriage and children are handled in the game. I don't like the really large maps and the tedious enemy reinforcements and the fact that you have to go back to your home castle to promote. Game can be easily broken through the arena too.

A solid 8 for me :)

i don't like giving games "scores" for many reasons but if i had to

7 or 8, i guess?

i thought i really loved it on my first playthrough but thinking about it it's not really something i'd ever want to play through again

it's still a decent enough game though, and i did enjoy playing it

now on a not-emulator it's probably like a 6 for the sheer tedium but i did not play this on a not-emulator, and you probably didn't either so i'll go with a 7 or 8

From Gen 1 alone I would give it a 4. The story wasn't bad but the unbalanced gameplay, few interesting characters, loooooong maps and my overall preference. I didn't liked it that much.

Edit: I realize this game is very popular so yeah plzdontkillmekaythanksbai

Edited by SSL01

I confess: even if I am not even close to finishing it (only at chapter 3 :P), I am already a fanboy of it. So, if you are wondering, yes, I am that sole 10 vote.

Why? Well, great question! It has good graphics, an awesome soundtrack, a great story for once in the franchise and, most importantly, the most epic feel in the whole franchise. It's by far the most satisfying game to do well at!

Yes, I may be WAY too early to give it a score, but I can't help myself...

I want to say 7.5, but I'm willing to edge positive. As much as I don't necessarily like some things about it, such as the consistent tone of its story or how unbelievably exhausting it feels to play compared to other games simply because of it being twelve long maps, to actually go back and play it and think "this game came out in 1996" is still pretty crazy. Its story holds up well as almost needlessly dark and incestuous as it is, it manages to have more memorable characters than I'd honestly expect from a fire emblem that old, the maps are mostly enjoyable not accounting for their scale, and unlike with Thracia 776 I can say on the whole I like the unique things that it did. Having a lord pre-promote, its handling of the 2nd generation story-wise, its way of using its map size to its advantage with in-game events and even making the world maps piece together into the general shape of Jugdral...

So there are plenty of good things I can say, but still an assortment of things that I kind of question and don't look back on that fondly.

It's fun, but the gameplay is broken, it drags out too much, the only characters i liked were the Leonster ones and the story, while decent, contain what i think to be some of the worst Camuses (An archetype that i already heavily dislike) in the entire series.

Edited by OakTree

It's fun, but the gameplay is broken, it drags out too much, the only characters i liked were the Leonster ones and the story, while decent, contain what i think to be some of the worst Camuses (An archetype that i already heavily dislike) in the entire series.

What is a Camus archetype?

the guy who doesn't want to fight you, but does because he's stupid and loyal to his country, or is tricked by someone

eltshan, levail, and mustafa are a few examples

Someone who dosen't believe in his country's cause/beliefs, but fights for them anyway out of loyalty to said country. Named after Camus in FE1, and a reoccurring theme thruout the series.

Edit: Kazed

Edited by MCProductions

Gen 1 is a 5, Gen 2 is an 8, went with 7 overall because Gen 2 is supposed to be the main event anyway

I stopped playing FE4 while chapter 4 just because I don't like the game mechanics.

• no existence of healing items
  • no trading
  • kinda bad map design (there are phases you don't have to do anything and then there are phases you have to fight 20 cavaliers)
  • enemies auto equip range weapons, if you attack them from two range (I really hate this!)
  • enemies' weapons can't break

This game also has good things (marriage system, skill system, canto, awesome soundtrack), but the mentoined points really hindered me to continue it.

BTW the map seize doesn't bother me at all since you can always save after a seized castle.