Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 2

Shin

Even from across the Island, Serge could feel the heat from the pillar of flames that erupted near Owen's group. For once, an overwhelming sense of fear washed over him. His mind wandered to all sorts of horrible conclusions to what was incinerated by that fire, and who was controlling it. He was sure Emily and Morganna were back on the boat, and Claire had been...'carried' over to the ballista and had no tome capable of that. Serge found it hard to breathe at that point. Whoever it was, he prayed that is was friend and not foe.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adeltrudis was a tad... distracted from the goings on at the Southern shore. Specifically distracted by the ruffian who had decided to charge at her with his knife drawn. Unfortunately, the man was rather quick, the blade sinking into her flank before she could manage to evade or block the attack. Swiftly grabbing at his wrist, and beating him back with a jab to the face was enough to stop him tearing the serrated knife across her belly and emptying it's contents onto the sand, Adele flipping nacht about in her hand as she tugged him back towards her by the wrist, driving the spiked end deeply into the man's own stomach and ripping it across the soft flesh.

Or, at least until the man's rib gave some resistance. Tugging the spike out from him, she watched the ruffian fall to the ground, bleeding out and fading fast. Carefully removing the man's knife from her own gut, she slipped it onto a free spot on her belt, nursing the wound with her hand after doing so. It wasn't deep enough to be a mortal wound, luckily enough, as the man had not managed to complete his intended assault.

Right before Emmet's eyes a powerful blast of magic incinerated one of their enemies. Everybody nearby on both sides was stunned. Reacting quickly Emmet used this chance to launch an arrow at a distracted foe. Only after the fact did he realised this put him directly in range of the mysterious mage. Who is he? Emmet thought. Someone that powerful, I must have heard of them. Someone from Reward sent to meet us? Or possible a high level academic from Whitwar. Emmet grew doubtful. That expression conveyed a sense of danger unlike any he had seen before. It made him feel naive to think the only mages worth knowing came from the same world as him.

Emmet to (8,16) Iron Bow on Thief#3 and begins an unwilling staring contest with Sorcerer.

The giant explosion of embers that had taken place had corralled peoples attention to the southern side. And Alain couldn't help but to have his gaze be drawn along as well. He let out an audible gasp at the sight of the destructive force radiating from the area. He hoped that perhaps such magic belonged to Morganna, and she'd come to assist them. But his gut assured him otherwise. If a mage of that caliber had been among them, surely he would have heard about it by now? Had this person been the cause of his prior feeling? So much for Belial's protection, then. Though, he wasn't entirely expecting a dark god to take interest in the safety of someone who could hardly be called a sincere follower.

"I don't suppose that magic might belong to one of the prince's retinue?" he wondered aloud.

Time seemed to stop as Owen saw a fiery pillar at the point where one of the Magonsaeten once was, the unbearable heat making the prince flinch and avert his eyes. There was no trace of a man there the next time he opened his eyes, only burnt sand and fumes. If anything, this was magic beyond his comprehension. "What...?"

Owen looked to meet eyes with a man that he was sure wasn't there moments ago. "...Who are you?" He gave the man one good look. The garb seemed to imply that man was a sorcerer of some sort, undoubtedly the fire spell's caster --if anything, that was a testament of power. "What is it that you seek?" If there was anything that Owen understood, was that when one so powerful as to look godlike made their appearance, you did not look away, even as a prince regent.

As the flames subsided and smoke cleared, Owen and Sidney were left with the robed man, who had just vapourised the thief who had robbed Sidney. He did not move as he came into view, but simply grinned. His hair and robes flowed across his body, adding to his godly presence. The air surrounding him felt heavy, a terrifying gravity present all around the man. He'd almost ignored Sidney entirely, simply dropping her lockpick on the sand for her to retrieve in her own time. Owen, however, had caught his attention. Slowly stepping towards the prince, his bare feet gently sweeping through the sand.

"Prince Owen... it's a pleasure to meet you." he charmed, walking closer and closer towards the prince. His features were gentle and pure, his skin pale and his long hair a golden blonde. "Imagine my surprise to see the crown prince of Wyke, in Magonsaete no less. These lands are dangerous if one is not prepared, the rules of modern society do not apply here. I am Malaphar, a travelling wizard."

Sidney regains her Lockpick!

Sorcerer moves to 8,18!

Emmet moves to 8,16!

Emmet attacks Thief #3 with his Iron Bow!
11 Atk, 63% Hit, 0% Crit
(65 52)
Emmet's arrow flies wide...
But then changes course!
Emmet deals 11 damage! (17/28 HP remaining)

Emmet gains 15 XP!
Emmet gains 1 Bow WEXP!
Edited by Shin

"My liege" Emmet muttered quietly. "I know not if this man is friend or foe but he is extremely dangerous. You'd do well to keep your distance. If he should attack, then allow me to combat him. I was known as the Mage Killer in my previous company for a reason." Though I'd rather it not come to a fight Emmet admitted to himself. I doubt I could take more than one hit from that tome.

Sidney bent down to retrieve the lockpick, exhaling a bit when this sorcerer moved away from her. Whether or not he acknowledged her, she paid attention as he approached Owen. Traveling magician. Sure, and I'm the queen. I don't like this... That her thought might eventually be true was missed by her in the somewhat panicked moment, hand not straying far from the Zodiac Claw. Still, speaking her fears aloud seemed completely foolish, which seemed to be the task of Emmet at this moment instead. I don't think a "mage killer" means very much here. I won't stay idle if he attacks Owen, but jeez, I'm not going to say anything about fighting him! What is he thinking?

The sudden other explosion was another worry to mount onto Cass, looking across to way only to see fire. There were no screams to be heard, so either Owen and his cadre had been roasted immediately, or that attack had been a boast or some sorts. Cass could only hope that it was the latter, because going this far and surviving these fights, only to find Owen and charred bone, was enough to nearly send the girl into shock. Best not to think about, and hope any other pillars or fire be away from where Owen and group were supposed to be.

"Just have to keep moving forward... I can't see many more of them coming for us, so I suppose the worst is behind us." Little did she know, but at the very least, their side of the engagement was clearing up. There were only a few thieves left, getting cleanly mopped up-- or not so cleanly, in Adele's case. Cass couldn't see the wound from this side, but the woman clutching her side and the blood splatter on the ground told enough of a story.

"Adele," she called out, making her way past everyone else, "let me see." She gently pulled the heiress' hand away from her wound, grimacing for a moment. "It's not lethal, but I'm not letting it sit... I hate to abuse this staff so much, but you keep getting yourself hurt, haha... Be more careful, would..." Her words fell short, considering how she'd acted moments ago, but she had to say them-- she loved this woman. "Please... I'm sorry," she said, blurting out the apology, and healing the wound.

Cass to 9,2, heal Adele with Jeeves' staff.

"I'm okay... he just got the jump on me... managed to stop him before he did any major damage." Adele replied with a grimace, allowing herself to rest a bit, leaning against Cassandra as she was healed. Of course, something across the pond seemed a bit... ominous. The ballista operator no longer seemed to be having a fit.

"From the looks of it, they fixed their artillery. Stay behind me, okay?"

Adele leaning on Cass was nearly enough to get her to drop her staff and dive in for a tight squeeze, but this was not the place, not the time. Cass would have to hold all of that in until they were done fighting, and had a moment to themselves... Whenever they got one of those, again.

"Alright. Just... Don't get too heroic, now." For once, Cass agreed to not diving recklessly forward. Cass expected the shock to knock Adele over on its own.

[spoiler=Oswald... Tobias... Javier... I smell you all...]As the only person who could read, Javier helped manage a lot of written correspondence for the orphanage of Good Hope. Bills and taxes and all that. However, this was the first time in years he had received a suicide note, and for it to be delivered in the coat pockets of a four-year old girl.

‘Don’t let the story of Susan Thames end here.’

There was nothing else written, but that was all Javier needed to know about their newest addition.

He put the letter down onto the mantlepiece as he deposited the shivering orphan next to the fireplace. She was a thing yay-high, bright eyes hiding underneath bright curls of wild black hair. Rain-water clung to the thin fabric of her dress, mingling with the mud from the playground they had found her waiting at.

“You don’t look like a Susan at all. In fact, you actually remind me of someone I know,” he mused, “A little girl with a big heart. Much like you. But with hair red as fire.”

She looked up at him curiously, bright eyes and all.

“Would you like to hear a story?”

The girl followed Javier around the orphanage for days after that, and he tried many times to call her by Susan, but she responded only ever to Scuttle.

Scuttle used to spend four years unknowingly reading the wrong side of Toulousian manuscripts by flipping it backwards. The figures were all visible, but they were obscured, without the sharpness and colour because the light wasn’t falling on it right. It felt like looking into a different world through a very fogged monocle.

The man at the edge of the lake reminded her of that old feeling. He was not of this world. The air flipped around him; the light fell on him strange and bled into his figure. Never in focus.

It evoked vestigial memories of predators’ shadows circling the edges of firelight, instinct-like. Stripes in the grass. Thunder. Some reptilian part of Scuttle’s brain, honed by millennia of fight-or-flight mechanics, decided that the man that had made Prince Owen’s dragon fire look like a candle flicker was inexplicably and unmistakably dangerous.

Had Cass and Adele not been so embroiled with overflowing, completely platonic concern for each other, they might have noticed perhaps the heavy, audible breathing of a certain someone bating down their necks.

“Where there is great love, there is often little display of it,” Scuttle quoted with a smile that shouldn’t be allowed to be that smug. Or lecherous. “Al-Gufani. Old Whitwar sage. Spent twenty years up in the mountains with only a loincloth. Had all kinds of sayings. Wild mushrooms are best tasted raw. Died shortly after.”

“Dontmindmejustgoonlikeiwasnthere.”

Scuttle to (8,2) INHALE attack Thief #2 with Steel Bow EXHALEPERSONALSPACE

Edited by Frostivus

Scuttles breathing was really the only thing that disturbed Cass, her expression not helping it either. She quickly took a step back from Adele, blushing a bit, trying to ignore what had happened. "Just, f-focus on what you're aiming at, alright, Scuttle?" It was still hard to contain herself, but everyone around her didn't know the truth of the situation... Even half of their regular members hadn't really been told about Angus, even if they could have picked up on Adele. "We'll talk after," she rushed out, not wanting to distract Scuttle further from her aiming.

So he knows who I am... The situation was rather disconcerting, and the sorcerer seemed intent on taking control of the conversation. The man called himself Malaphar, though whether that was his actual name was anyone's guess. The only thing certain was that Owen's gaze did not stray from him as the sorcerer approached rather casually. "I understand the dangers involved, but thanks for your words of warning, Malaphar." Owen replied, trying his best to keep composure. "It is not everyday that you see a wandering wizard alone in Magonsaete, either. I can tell we're both here for a reason." Owen could only hope that Malaphar's brought him no harm.

Like a good leader, Doug had to leave his Lady Claire and return to war. Before the ballista operator could play another round of "How Many Shots Can Fit Into Angus", the rider swooped over hills to strike. The flag of his people would be planted into his sternum!

"You shall be pierced by the leader of Dougistan! The hills cry out for it!"

Doug moves to 10,8. Attack Ballista with Overflag.

Cass moves to 9,2!

Cass uses Jeeves' Staff on Adele!

Adele returns to full HP!

Cass gains 25 XP!

Cass gains 3 Staff WEXP!

Scuttle moves to 8,2!

Scuttle attacks Thief #2 with her Steel Bow!
14 Atk, 93% Hit, 11% Crit, 11% Adept
(85 75)
Scuttle deals 14 damage! (14/28 HP remaining)
(45)

Scuttle gains 10 XP!
Scuttle gains 1 Bow WEXP!

Scuttle grows to level 8!
(7 71 92 27 97 69 95 23)
HP up!
Skill up!
Luck up!
Resistance up!

Doug moves to 10,8!

Doug attacks the Ballista with his Overflag!
15 Atk, 87% Hit, 12% Crit
(66 43)
Doug deals 15 damage! (20/35 HP remaining)
(8 10)
Doug shows the Ballista the power of Dougistan!

Doug gains 44 XP!
Doug gains 3 Lance WEXP!

Malaphar smiled, the unsetting air about him not dropping. "My only search is for that of knowledge, Prince Owen. My studies have taken me far across the continent in my quest to understand the world. I have seen much of Magonsaete, their lands are hostile, their people uncivilised. It surprises me not that their first response would be to attack." he replied, his gaze gently settling on Owen. "There were rumours that a fabled fountain resided in these lands... but it appears the records are mistaken. It is a shame, I have spent the last year searching Magonsaete."

Edited by Shin

Emmet's ears pricked up. Almost like a dog's. "The fountain of Age's" he muttered. He lowered his bow, not because he no longer viewed this magician as dangerous, but because his foe had suddenly become an asset. Where before he could think only of caution, now his mind was firmly focused on opportunity. "What do you know about the fountain?" Emmet asked. "Did you have some solid evidence it's in Magonsaete? And do you have any evidence that's it's definitely not? I find it hard to believe one could scour every inch of a country within a year. Especially one so overgrown as this."

As expected, the thieves wanted nothing to do with Freya. Unfortunately, this meant one of them got a solid hit on Adele, which surely did not please the princess. While he fell quickly, another thief was merely injured by an arrow. Freya readied her sword, charging at him- he would have a lot more to worry about than the arrow soon.

Freya to (8, 3) to attack Thief 2 with Bronze Sword

"...I see." Owen had his apprehensions, but at the moment he was just reassured the man seemed to have no intention to burn them down on the spot. He had a good guess to what the fountain entailed. But if it isn't here, then how did they get a hold of that vial? "I suppose it is unfortunate if that is the case." Owen blurted out, "It's hard to take tales of a fabled fountain or whatnot seriously, anyways. The rumours must have been spread to lead you to a wild-goose chase." That was the best Owen felt he could offer, wondering if the sorcerer would accompany them or just let him be. If he isn't hostile, maybe he could make our trip safer? "Where do you plan to go from here, Malaphar? We will head north, but there is still much land between us and proper society."

Claire took the hand up, although it took her a moment to steady herself and the world to stabilise around her. She missed watching the thief back with Owen's group disintegrated, but was up just in time to watch Doug shatter the ballista in one hit. Something about her misfortune made her laugh. She went through all of this trouble to get over here, and in the end she wasn't even needed. Maybe if she was quick enough she would be able to flank the remaining enemies, but it looked like she wasn't even needed.

Claire to (11,12)

"One moment, Miss Freya. If I may?"

Sebastian moves to 11,3!

Sebastian attacks Thief #2 with his Throwing Knife!
9 Atk, 94% Hit, 17% Crit
(59 70)
Thief #2 takes 9 damage! (5/28 HP remaining)

Sebastian gains 8 XP!
Sebastian gains 1 WEXP!

Freya thwomps to 8,3!

Freya attacks Thief #2 with her Bronze Sword!
10 Atk, 87% Hit, 0% Crit
(84 30)
Freya finishes!

Freya gains 45 XP!
Freya gains 2 Sword WEXP!

Freya grows to level 8!
(90 78 56 69 23 39 67 84)
Speed up!
Luck up!

Claire moves to 11,12!

"Scholar, I can understand your suspicions, but with my magical abilities... travel is less challenging." Malaphar replied, not visibly annoyed by Emmet in the slightest. "I would be very happy to sit down and share my notes with you after this battle. There are still several ruffians I'd rather do without. I was hoping to continue my travels northwards... so perhaps we can make some sort of arrangments."

"I see..." A part of Owen couldn't help feeling alarmed at the prospect of such a man travelling with them, but the prince rationalized it best for their travel. If we can reach Raewald safely and fast... "Agreed on the ruffians. I plan to deal with them sooner than later, then you can discuss in further detail." Owen raised an arm, calling for his men to follow him as he moved onwards, deciding the sorcerer was not a threat.

Owen to (5,15).

Nelon to (5,14).

Serge finally snapped out of his shock. This was no time to stand around, this was a time to act. If there was a hostile over on the other side of the island, then the prince, as well as everyone else was in danger. Serge rushed past his group to go on ahead.

Serge to (7,3)