The Official Ultima Super Battle Cruise Fortress Topic Deluxe!

Metal Rabbit

Rules (adapted from Fire Emblem RTUs)

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly. You can troll a bit, but no CATERPIE HAS STRING SHOT 10/10.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Votes are made out of 10. You cannot rate a pokemon above 10 or below 0.

- The rating topic will be updated whenever I feel like it, but I will try to allow at least 24 hours for each topic. They will generally be updated at around noon EST.

- A pokemon being inferior relative to another pokemon does not explicitly reduce their rating.

- We are rating ingame performance only, up until the Elite 4 is beaten the first time.

- Evolution lines get condensed, so treat Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venasaur all as one pokemon.

Paras/Parasect: 2.15

Weedle/Kakuna/Beedrill: 2.44

Ekans/Arbok: 2.57

Rattate/Raticate: 3.20

Zubat/Golbat: 3.25

Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff: 4.21

Venonat/Venomoth: 4.28

Vulpix/Ninetales: 4.38

Oddish/Gloom/Vileplume: 4.92

Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot: 5.00

Caterpie/Metapod/Butterfree: 5.21

Sandshrew/Sandslash: 5.86

Pikachu/Raichu: 5.94

Spearow/Fearow: 6.21

Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard: 7.80

Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venasaur: 8.25

Nidoran-F/Nidorina/Nidoqueen: 8.58

Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise: 9.36

Clefairy/Clefable: 9.50

Nidoran-M/Nidorino/Nidoking: 9.75

Very fast (especially for a ground type) and modestly strong, but also incredibly frail. You can catch Diglett right before facing Surge for fun times (if you're lucky, you might even get a Dugtrio), although it's not so great at Eirika. Does well at Blaine and Giovanni though. Magnitude is quite good early on, but it starts becoming pretty unreliable after a while. Still, it'll learn Earthquake (albeit a bit late) and can pick up Rock Slide from a Move Tutor for flying-type coverage. And it learns Slash as well. So it's movepool isn't vast, but it does well enough. All in all, a solid 8/10.

Edited by BigBangMeteor

• Replies 44.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Metal Rabbit

• Masu

• noremaC

• Liz

Anyway Diglett is a pokemon I often forget about, but he's by no means bad. Kanto is kind of nice to Ground types with Surge and blaine around. I believe Erika is the only gym where he is on a disadvantage.
He's fast, has decent power and promotes early. Earthquake is always nice. He doesn't have all that much coverage, but he can learn night slash and more importantly rock slide.

7.5/10 Edited by Sasori

It gets a decent STAB early on (Magnitude) and Earthquake (best STAB of any type in the game I swear) later on. Points for being one of the few ground types who actually gets it naturally, so you can give the best TM in the game to someone for coverage rather than as a necessity for STAB, powering up your team as a whole (probably because EQ is OP). Rock/Ground covers a lot of types, too. Incredible speed and an attack stat that isn't half bad either. Earthquake makes up for it, at the very least. Rather frail (it has more speed than HP lol) but it should be able to wreck enough with EQ that you won't be too worried about it. Plus it gets a free training ground in the form of Lt. Surge!

+ 0.5 bias for giving the best quote in PMD ("My legs still feel like they're walking on air!").

8.5/10

Edited by Ninja Caterpie

7/10. Good attack, but no STAB, being in the slow experience group AND needing switch-grinding to be raised while it's a Magikarp hurt. As for the people who mentioned Dragon Dance, I don't know why it'd be worthy of mention when you'd probably wind up learning it while going through the Elite 4, if at all, since it's not learned util level 50. It doesn't help Gyarados's case that in needs TMs to function since its natural learnset is mainly special moves.

Edited by Golden Cucco

7/10. Good attack, but no STAB, being in the slow experience group AND needing switch-grinding to be raised while it's a Magikarp hurt. As for the people who mentioned Dragon Dance, I don't know why it'd be worthy of mention when you'd probably wind up learning it while going through the Elite 4, if at all, since it's not learned util level 50.

To be fair, it's most useful against the Elite Four and other strong trainers, and that is where you should have it (Steven/Wallace has level 60s...) It's got a massive boost endgame because of DD.

Edited by Ninja Caterpie

You either have to wait for that Magikarp to evolve or catch one late in the game (at a very competent level before the last gym), but if you wait for so long, you missed on its contributions in times where they could've really been useful. So its availability is a minus, as is its reliance on TMs to be functional and having to wait for lv. 50 to learn DD. Still, if you focus on training Gyarados and Gyarados alone (feeding it any Rare Candies you've collected during the game), it can easily solo the E4 and its champion. 8/10

+1 bias for being a badass.

10/10

One of the top 20 non-water mons in this game.

Fast as shit, natural EQ, and access to Rock Slide/AA/Tri Attack/Slash and early dig and magnitude.

OP'd

OP'd

Worth the training, and besides, Exp Share exists right after you deliver Stevens Letter!

Oh, and DD'd Hyper beam crit'd Metagross on my first run of Saph., if my memory is correct.

+ 1 bias for that and getting a 10/10

Anyway Diglett is a pokemon I often forget about, but he's by no means bad. Kanto is kind of nice to Ground types with Surge and blaine around. I believe Erika is the only gym where he is on a disadvantage.

He's fast, has decent power and promotes early. Earthquake is always nice. He doesn't have all that much coverage, but he can learn night slash and more importantly rock slide.

7.5/10

Woah, woah woah. I hope you understand the problem once you notice this, Sasori.

Walls Surge and does poorly against Erika. Diglett/Dugtrio is actually quite frail, although nice speed and decent attack allows it to be awesome.

Does well despite its move pool being not so great.

8/10

And now comes the outlier... Wicked fast and Earthquake is good when you get it, but that will only be against the elites and maybe Giovanni, and otherwise it has dig and magnitude for stab. It pwns Serge, useless against Eirika, and unless it's a similar level to them, it won't necessarily go first against Blaine's Rapidash and Arcanine, which means it has a good chance getting taken down due to its low defenses. It can take down half of Koga, but it's not good against Sabrina so it won't be too useful there. It will only be amazing against Giovanni if it's learned Earthquake, or you get lucky with a magnitude. Against the elites, it's useful against Agatha's Arbok, and Bruno's Onix'es/Onix/Onix'/Onix's/however you spell it. Your rival's Rhydon. That's it. Not including in game, it'll be frail, fast, and has decent attack, with an OK movepool, limiting it's ability to fight pokemon it doesn't have an advantage over. I don't see how it's all that useful, but it can be used. other ground types can be better, in my opinion. 6.5-1 for 5.5/10

And now comes the outlier... Wicked fast and Earthquake is good when you get it, but that will only be against the elites and maybe Giovanni, and otherwise it has dig and magnitude for stab. It pwns Serge, useless against Eirika, and unless it's a similar level to them, it won't necessarily go first against Blaine's Rapidash and Arcanine, which means it has a good chance getting taken down due to its low defenses. It can take down half of Koga, but it's not good against Sabrina so it won't be too useful there. It will only be amazing against Giovanni if it's learned Earthquake, or you get lucky with a magnitude. Against the elites, it's useful against Agatha's Arbok, and Bruno's Onix'es/Onix/Onix'/Onix's/however you spell it. Your rival's Rhydon. That's it. Not including in game, it'll be frail, fast, and has decent attack, with an OK movepool, limiting it's ability to fight pokemon it doesn't have an advantage over. I don't see how it's all that useful, but it can be used. other ground types can be better, in my opinion. 6.5-1 for 5.5/10

check base speeds :U

it's 17th in gen 5 with 120 lol

rapidash with 105, arcanine with lol95

and sabrina's psychic types are frail bar mr mime so...

Really fast ground type, but it comes at the cost of some attack. I think it's the second weakest fully evolved Ground-type in Kanto, beating Onix.

It does pretty great against Surge, Koga and Blaine. Erika is awful for Dugtrio, and Sabrina is dependant on if you outspeed and OHKO everything (and Alakazam has the same base speed). It's not too useful in the Elite Four though. It's got the same movepool as your typical Ground-types, only with Tri-Attack through the move relearner as well. Dugtrio lives in a "kill or be killed" world.

7.5/10 - 80 base Attack isn't cutting it late game, and it's modest strength can lead to its death if something survives an attack.

MAGikarp is a liability, but Lv20 comes very quickly. Gyarados itself, even without STAB, is a danger to anything it faces. Intimidate and Dragoon Dance are large plus points for it.

Plus I fucking love Gyarados.

95%.

7/10. Good attack, but no STAB, being in the slow experience group AND needing switch-grinding to be raised while it's a Magikarp hurt. As for the people who mentioned Dragon Dance, I don't know why it'd be worthy of mention when you'd probably wind up learning it while going through the Elite 4, if at all, since it's not learned util level 50. It doesn't help Gyarados's case that in needs TMs to function since it natural learnset is mainly special moves.

To be fair, it's most useful against the Elite Four and other strong trainers, and that is where you should have it (Steven/Wallace has level 60s...) It's got a massive boost endgame because of DD.

True, but we're taking about a Pokemon in the slow experience group here...

check base speeds :U

it's 17th in gen 5 with 120 lol

rapidash with 105, arcanine with lol95

and sabrina's psychic types are frail bar mr mime so...

I said unless Dugtrio is similar level with Arcanine and Rapidash, where his bases would make him win, and against Sabrina, Mr. Mime isn't too frail, (like you said) Alakazam is just as fast as Dugtrio, and ground moves aren't very effective against Venomoth. I guess it might be OK for Kadabra, but they're both very frail, and neither could really take a hit.

Dugtrio also doesn't have 0 speed EVs compared to Alakazam, so it could outspeed at a level disadvantage.

Koga doesn't use Venomoth; he uses Koffing and Weezing, both of them with Levitate, which doesn't make Dugtrio the best candidate for Koga's gym either. If you mean Sabrina's Venomoth, then that one isn't hurting Dugtrio with anything (Psybeam/Supersonic/Leech Life/Gust is what it runs for crying out loud). Onix and Rhydon also don't sound like Pokemon I'd be willing to switch Dugtrio in against either.

Dugtrio is a non-legendary that can be caught overlevelled at a point of the game where it is immediately applicable. Its attack is high enough when it's using STAB moves against tougher enemies, and its speed is high enough to outspeed the faster Pokemon out there. With Levitate users all over the place, it won't really replace a Psychic-type anymore (somebody else has to deal with all the Koffings, Weezings and ghosts), but it's just so good anyway.

BEASTY MCBEASTY FISH!

So yeah, Magikarp is pretty useless. But Gyarados is like a reward or something. :] It's too bad it gets no Flying-type moves, and that it's special attack sucks. So Gyarados doesn't really have any STAB unless you get lucky with Hidden Power Flying. For coverage you're getting Return/Earthquake/Rock Smash, but you'll have Dragon Dance to power them up. Gyarados' power without STAB testifies its power. Gyarados is wonderful defensively, with 95/79/100 Defenses with Intimidate. 125 Attack is great. 81 Speed is reasonably fast. Dragon Dance is awesome.

8/10 - Loses points for worthless Magikarp and no STAB. Otherwise, it's perfect.

I'm so laaaaazy. This. Tallying.

Rules (adapted from Fire Emblem RTUs)

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already quote them explicitly. You can troll a bit, but no WURMPLE HAS STRING SHOT 10/10.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Votes are made out of 10. You cannot rate a pokemon above 10 or below 0.

- The rating topic will be updated whenever I feel like it, but I will try to allow at least 24 hours for each topic. They will generally be updated at around 10 PM CST.

- A pokemon being inferior relative to another pokemon does not explicitly reduce their rating.

- We are rating ingame performance only, up until the Elite 4 is beaten the first time.

- Evolution lines get condensed, so treat Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile all as one pokemon.

- Pokemon that evolve through trades are accounted for.

- A Pokemon's performance is to be judged by the game they are most prominent in (Example: Zangoose is to be judged by Pokemon Ruby standards.).

Averages:

Wurmple/Cascoon/Dustox: 1.67

Goldeen/Seaking: 2.01

Surskit/Masquerain: 2.88

Wurmple/Silcoon/Beautifly: 3.50

Nincada/Shedinja: 3.69

Poochyena/Mightyena: 3.95

Nincada/Ninjask: 4.13

Slakoth/Vigoroth/Slaking: 5.36

Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo: 5.69

Wingull/Pelipper: 5.70

Whismur/Loudred/Exploud: 5.81

Seedot/Nuzleaf/Shiftry: 6.36

Zigzagoon/Linoone: 6.43

Makuhita/Hariyama: 7.50

Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam: 7.56

Magikarp/Gyarados: 8.25

Shroomish/Breloom: 8.27

Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile: 8.36

Taillow/Swellow: 8.38

Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir: 8.39

Torchic/Combusken/Blaziken: 9.00

Mudkip/Marshstomp/Swampert: 9.77

Not getting STAB for that delicious base attack is disapointing. Not having any set up moves is also bad. It's also as slower than Swampert. But something dies once it gets to attack. It's only got Normal-type moves, Iron Tail, Dig and Brick Break (you can try SubPunch though if you're gutsy) for moves, but with 150 base attack it doesn't matter. Early evolution rocks. It just wants Waterfall to be physical, and maybe for Aqua Jet to exist.

Can also go HM Slave route because it learns 5 HM moves.

7.5/10 - Too slow and has no STAB to use that attack with.