Final Fantasy XII HD remake confirmed!

Water Mage

Yea not gonna lie I'm really hyped for it, and hoping it hits a STEAM port because I don't wanna buy a PS4 just for this bad boy.

Oh oh. What a good news!

And it comes with a rearranged soundtrack and new features?

Oh man, I'm hype for this! Thanks for sharing the info!

Yea not gonna lie I'm really hyped for it, and hoping it hits a STEAM port because I don't wanna buy a PS4 just for this bad boy.

i mean i thought final fantasy was dead to me but this whole post

I loved the game right up until the halfway point. The story dropped off completely around then, which I found out is because some of the writers left? It had a great FF:T vibe to it.

There was a lot about it that I liked, though, so I'll probably pick it up. At the very least, I can laugh at the name "B'Nargen" again.

I read about this! I'm looking forward to it, since I've been trying to check out some of the newer Final Fantasy games (haven't played that much of anything after VII since I started playing with remakes of the Nintendo entries) and I love the Job System. From what I've read, the Zodiac Job System seems like a really unique take on it, so I'm sure it'd be interesting to experience!

I have been waiting for this anxiously. My mouth dropped when i saw the title of this post. I am so excited and hopefully the port to PC (I'm assuming there will be one because every other main FF has one now) is as well done as the port of FF10 HD remake. It also will be the IZJS which means even more awesomeness.

Edited by SlayerX

Exciting stuff, definitely my favorite game in the series. Personally I prefer the non IWJS version for gameplay and hope there's an option for that, but I'll play it for sure either way. Gambits are sweet, the soundtrack is great and Square is usually pretty good at remastering them. Also encouraging you can switch back to the original soundtrack if they do somehow mess it up horribly.

Life advice for people who have not played this game before: when you get enough party members, you can bench Vaan. You're welcome.

for reference i have actually even fully completed ff13 but ff12 bored me so much because it has one of the most trash first impressions in a game i've ever seen

so much so that i never even got to the parts where it's apparently "better"

the one good thing is that it isn't ff8

Exciting stuff, definitely my favorite game in the series. Personally I prefer the non IWJS version for gameplay and hope there's an option for that, but I'll play it for sure either way. Gambits are sweet, the soundtrack is great and Square is usually pretty good at remastering them. Also encouraging you can switch back to the original soundtrack if they do somehow mess it up horribly.

Life advice for people who have not played this game before: when you get enough party members, you can bench Vaan. You're welcome.

But isn't Vaan the game's best character, when it comes to stats?

What is this game like?

A lot of people say it's like a MMORPG.

I don't think it is like one, but I can see why people say that.

And the game does start a bit slow.

Storywise, the story is the grandiose type, but if it is a good thing or not depends on the player.

However, the world-building in this game is excellent! Pretty much every single thing has a reason for it.

Every monster has detailed bio, and even monster that are simple recolor have an explanation for why they are recolors.

Every city had a backstory, and there are many little small details that makes the world of FFXII feel real.

Seriously, the world-building in this game is impressive. Even the elemental resistances and weaknesses are explained!

Edited by Water Mage

The icing sounds nice, but what about the cake? How's the gameplay?

The Gameplay is interesting, it has Final Fantasy's classic ATB system, but the battles are all done on the field, there's no change to a battlefield when you touch an enemy.

There are also gambits, which some like, but others dislike.

It's a bit hard to explain, but they are "orders" that you can give to your party members before battle.

For example, you can give a gambit to a character that will make them use cure or a potion on party member with less that 50% HP.

You can also use gambits to make a character use an antidote or esuna on poisoned without having to give them the order to use it.

You can arrange the priority of gambits and so on.

It can be boring to watch, but it's very interesting to play.

There are also licenses, but I will explain those later.

FFXII is also a grind heavy game.

But isn't Vaan the game's best character, when it comes to stats?

Not by a significant amount/ debatable (Basch and Balthier are pretty close). It's also worth it if you want to see less of Vaan, and the game is not so difficult you're really missing him.

For gameplay:

Combat is generally similar to other Final Fantasy games but a bit more streamlined. It's pretty Chrono Trigger like, you fight on the world map and enemies are always in the same place. You primarily control one character at a time so setting up Gambits and optimizing them is pretty important.

There's also Quickenings which are mostly identical between characters as far as strength goes, they're sort of like Limit Breaks but they use a ton of mana. You can chain them together too for extra damage and stuff, usually good finishing a boss. Eventually you get Espers too but they're pretty horrible for the most part.

Final Fantasy 12 is my favorite one. I love this game so much.

I don't really care for the job system in other FFs but I'll try it here I guess.

Basically, newcomer, every character can use any weapon or armor. Once you kill an enemy you get LP and you can spend the lp on a board that will allow one character to use whatever magic, accessories, weapons, etc. you've bought. It's a bit hard to explain but it's a cool system.

Edit: the espers are useless to summon but hunting down and fighting them is one of the most fun parts of this game.

It's one of the first games I ever played actually. I found adrammelech by complete accident when I was like 5

Edited by Draco

I can't wait for it one of my favorite games in the series even if some of the characters are annoying it was still a good game.

Since it's very likely that the remake will be based on the International Zodiac Version (A rather ironic name, as it was Japan-only), I though I should list that weren't in the original and were added in the zodiac version:

The Zodiac Job System-There are now twelve License Boards, each one representing a job. Once a character chooses a job it cannot be changed. Isolated licenses can be accessed by unlocking Espers and Quickenings.

Trial Mode-The party must fight through 100 stages, each one containing stronger monsters. Completing this mode unlocks New Game+: Weak Mode.

Controllable guests-Guests can now be controlled, their gambits can be edited, and they can level up. Their equipment cannot be removed.

Controllable Espers-Espers can be controlled once summoned, and their gambits can be edited. The player can use their ultimate attack at will.

Turbo Speed Mode-Holding down L1 speeds up the game, making exploring the world and engaging in battles faster. The music and cutscenes still play at normal speed.

Gambit Changes-There are 16 new gambits. All the gambits can be bought upon leaving Barheim Passage.

Stat growth Changes -Each character's stat growth has been altered slightly.

Item Changes-New items have been added, and some of their effects have been slightly changed.

Enemy Changes-Enemies have been changed slightly, plus new enemies have been added. A battle against all five Judge Magisters is also included.

Magick Changes-Water and Watera are renamed to Aqua and Aquara. Many spells have been re-categorized; Bravery and Faith are now White Magick for example. Cure and all tier 1 Black Magick elemental spells have an area of effect (same as their higher tier counterparts) instead of targeting a single unit. Not all magick can be bought, and some must be found in treasure chests.

Equipment Changes-New weapons have been added, like the Excalipoor, while others have been slightly changed. Armor and accessories have also been slightly changed. Some weapons have different elemental alignments.

Shop Listings-Some shops have had their inventory changed.

Hunt Reward Changes-Rewards for defeating Marks have slightly changed.

Mist Knack (Quickening) Changes-They no longer take up MP. Instead, they have their own separate gauge.

MP Changes-Since Mist Knacks do not use MP, obtaining Mist Knacks does not increase MP. Instead, characters simply get more MP as they level up. Max MP is determined by the character's job.

New Game+ -Two New Game+ modes are available. Strong Mode, where all characters begin at level 90, and Weak Mode, where all characters begin at level 1 and never level up. Nothing carries over into these new save files.

Treasure Respawns-Treasures now respawn by just moving one screen away.

Treasure Item Changes-Some items inside coffers have been switched around, added, or removed.

Break Damage Limit-There is no damage limit anymore. If a character does more than 9,999 damage, the game will show it. Against weak enemies, it is possible to achieve over 100,000 HP of damage with a single attack. This gives the strongest magick spells greater potency to rival melee attack with high hit combo.

Edited by Water Mage

Never played izjs but some of those changes sound radical, like controlling guests, turbo mode, and damage cap break.

I have a PS4, I'll be looking forward to this for sure.

The icing sounds nice, but what about the cake? How's the gameplay?

You dont need to ask what a game is like in every single thread about a game you havent played then manhandle the thread into a discussion about whether you should buy it or not

Use google my man

As long as I can open all the treasure chests without missing an item, I'll be happy.

This will be interesting, indeed.

In the International Zodiac Job System version, the player no longer needs to beware of opening forbidden chests, as the concept was removed. There is no longer a Zodiac Spear to be found at Necrohol of Nabudis, but it can still be acquired via different means.

It seems they got rid of that entirely, which is great! Although it makes the zodiac spear harder to get i suppose.

~ http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Zodiac_Spear