Most overrated Fire Emblem in your opinion

Katie

Which FE do you think is the most overrated?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Which FE do you think is the most overrated?

• FE1
    • FE2
    • FE3
    • BSFE
    • FE4
    • FE5
    • FE6
    • FE7
    • FE8
    • FE9
    • FE10
    • FE11
    • FE12
    • FE13
    • FE14 Birthright
    • FE14 Conquest
    • FE14 Revelation
    • None

Fates has everything that a game needs. It ha a self-insert, which is vital. It had fanservice and romance, which I require from an RPG. The gameplay is ironically the unimportant part.

I know I'm not the only one to call you out on this, but you're treating your opinions like facts again.

Try to find a way to express yourself that's less "I'm the only one who can possibly be right" in tone, please?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE4 and FE7 by far.

How in the fuck is FE13 overrated. No one even talks about it anymore. It saved the series (although for some of the wrong reasons), and it should actually be respected more for doing that. If anything, I feel it's actually pretty underrated...at least on SF.

How in the fuck is FE13 overrated

It may have something to do with people like you putting it on a pedestal.

People say "Awakening saved the series" as though it means anything. It's not like IS and Nintendo were about to declare bankruptcy and were releasing one last game before folding forever.

The benchmark for the series to continue had been met by even the less popular games, Awakening was merely designed as though it was the last game.

What Awakening does have is mass appeal, not the same variable as quality. If ten million people bought FE7 from the VC tomorrow, not a single byte of the code would change.

it should actually be respected more for doing that.

If you would think less of Awakening if it had tanked, then I question whether you even like the game, or whether you just want to be trendy.

Ehhh... I really don't know if I can make a good argument, but here it goes.

If we're talking about in general, none of the FE games are really overhyped. I barely see any threads, discussion about them in forums, and when I do they die and are forgotten. The series has gotten a huge boost in popularity, but not so much to warrant a lot of attention, at least from what I've seen.

Now if we're just considering FE fans in general, it's actually kinda of hard to say, but I'm going to have to go with Blazing Sword. The main thing for me are two things that a lot of fans talk about that the 3DS games lack, which are story and characters. I think the main reason for this is that unless the character is an actual protagonist/anatagonist or play a huge role in the plot, they show up, you recruit them, and that's it. You only really get to know them more in supports. So many people say that the GBA characters were the most interesting, and I think that's the reason. But, imo, the GBA characters, especially FE7, are actually the most bland excluding a few. The only characters that I truly cared about was those in Lyn's story, excluding Wil, others just seemed to be so static and samey when it came down the other tales. Like, Ninian and Florina feel the same: they're both shy, just the latter is shyer than the former, and the former is just the obvious love interest for the main character, which I wouldn't mind as much now, if it weren't for the shoehorned reason for her coming back to life. Supports can change my mind about this, but the game's pacing and the way supports work are so limited so why even bother trying look for them all? I know a lot of people know that FE7's story is meh, but tbh all of the FE stories are meh, imo. They have potential and moments, but it's basically the same thing most of the time. Just one does the idea better than the other. Gameplay wise, it's good, but it's very limited at times and the ranking system is borked.

After looking through a good chunk of threads here, I can safety say that the 3DS games are no way as overhyped as people think they are. Broken record, but some people who liked the game even knows about it's flaws, and all of them get more hate than hype because of big problems that a causal gamer or a semi-FE fan would see as minor. I think everyone here knows why Awakening gets so much hate: it was easy, didn't have that much variety in terms of mission objectives, and do I even need to bring up children and the introduction to the avatar? As someone who started with FE13 and then dug around with the GBA games cause emulators are a thing, I can say that I enjoyed them more than Awakening, but I can generally appreciate what IS was going for. Awakening had a lot of variety in something that most RPGs are known for: Making the most OP as fuck character as possible. People may disagree with this, but that's always been a thing in the original FEs, just not as varied.

The Fates games, while having a very dumb marketing strategy imo, still did well and although not as broken and varied as Awakening in terms of grinding, even though you can get skills easier, was even more varied in terms of what demographic it was selling to, as well as how you want to play to game. There's a fair balance of the flaws and strengths of each, which I find to be a good thing. Birthright is easy, but a fairly good start to the type of gameplay that the 3DS games have to offer. Conquest, though not a true representation of the old FEs, actually doesn't really needs to be, since it reps the positive aspects of original FE without going to an extreme and makes it a good hardcore version of the 3DS FEs. Can't say much about Revelations, in fact I think that it may be the weakest out of the three.

I can honestly say that Sarced Stones is the most neutral out of all the worldwide releases except a few things. SS would be the best for starting out and possibly has the best FE foundation: A fairly sized cast, a limited grinding area until to beaten most of the game, certain class skills exclusive to that class, fairly simply story with some surprising twists, good balance with types, etc. I don't see that much praise for it tho.

All in all, I'm fine with change, and no FE game has 'ruined' the ideals of what FE's about; they all just have their own spin on it. I don't even think that FE7 is super overhyped, but I think that it's gets a bit too much credit.

People say "Awakening saved the series" as though it means anything. It's not like IS and Nintendo were about to declare bankruptcy and were releasing one last game before folding forever.

The benchmark for the series to continue had been met by even the less popular games, Awakening was merely designed as though it was the last game.

Now let's not rewrite history, the last original game to reach the benchmark 250,000 domestic sales was FE7, and the DS games just barely crawled their way to 250,000 units sold. It was extremely possible for Awakening to fall short of the mark and disingenuous to suggest that its success was assured.

By my source, Sacred Stones sold 300,000. I'll grant you that I misremembered the sales of the Tellius games.

My point is, don't pretend it was an unprecedented achievement. Awakening didn't even outsell Mystery of the Emblem domestically.

It may have something to do with people like you putting it on a pedestal.

People say "Awakening saved the series" as though it means anything. It's not like IS and Nintendo were about to declare bankruptcy and were releasing one last game before folding forever.The benchmark for the series to continue had been met by even the less popular games, Awakening was merely designed as though it was the last game.

What Awakening does have is mass appeal, not the same variable as quality. If ten million people bought FE7 from the VC tomorrow, not a single byte of the code would change.

If you would think less of Awakening if it had tanked, then I question whether you even like the game, or whether you just want to be trendy.

I might be giving the game a bit too much credit, but I just feel like the game is a bit too overhated. Sure, the cast is forgettable and the game's maps suffer in design down the line, but hey, it was still very well playable. I found the game pretty good.

If the game tanked, I wouldn't defend it to be 'trendy', no.

But were these risks worth it? Do these risks mean inprovements as a whole? I think not, and this is why I think Fates is overhyped.

They may have improved 'slightly' the gameplay experience (because it is basically Awakening 2.0), but they didn't improve any other aspect of the game tbh.

Edit: also, not going to enter in details about the changes in weapon durability and the introduction of shurikens in the weapon triangle since that's another discussion.

I'm not sure what you were expecting out of the second 3DS Fire Emblem. It took the core build of the previous game (as games sharing a platform often do) and made numerous improvements and innovations. That's exactly what a sequel game should be.

For gameplay alone, we have new classes, a new weapon durability/effect system, hidden weapons, guard/attack stance, improved class/skill sharing methods, personal skills and My Castle. For non-core gameplay, we have good music, smooth map to battle transitions and an ambitious attempt (that ended in failure) at telling a story through 3 campaigns. But sure, let's call it Awakening 2.0

I think the most overrated is Awakening for 2 main reasons:

1- It doesn't have good difficulty: the first two modes are boringly easy and the last two are frustrating and luck-heavy.

2- Most characters are plain and Flanderized. There are exceptions, but you really have to dig in the supports to find them.

Also, I personally don't like the pair-up mechanic it introduced, but because of Awakening's great success it's already become a staple of the series.

I personally prefer Blazing Sword not because it was my first, but because it's the more "basic" of the whole series, since it doesn't have fancy stuff like branching promotions, world map or inheritance. On the other hand it's the game with the best balanced prepromotes, making them actually usable instead of either godly or useless and has longer content thanks to Hector Mode. As for the plot, I personally like it, but I can see how someone else may not, being so different from the usual war stories of the other games.

By my source, Sacred Stones sold 300,000. I'll grant you that I misremembered the sales of the Tellius games.

My point is, don't pretend it was an unprecedented achievement. Awakening didn't even outsell Mystery of the Emblem domestically.

Sacred Stones sold 246,000 units domestically. Awakening was significant because it managed to break the 400,000 units sold mark that hadn't been achieved since FE4. Fire Emblem was in a tailspin towards irrelevancy and Awakening helped make it a relevant IP again. You don't have to like the game, but Awakening absolutely deserves credit for the success of the franchise today.

I'm not sure what you were expecting out of the second 3DS Fire Emblem. It took the core build of the previous game (as games sharing a platform often do) and made numerous improvements and innovations. That's exactly what a sequel game should be.

What I expected was an ok story, or decent at least (not spectacular either), appealing characters (which FE13 lacked), a good support dialogue system, and a nice narrative (the way of telling the story). I didn't have expectations on the gameplay terrain since it is a given on sequels (new installments), and Awakening had a good gameplay and UI, although with a lack of balance. Fates brought innovations in the gameplay area but there's still a lack of balance and huge character dependance (Camilla is all you need in CQ besides Corrin). Fates was sold among the concept of making choices. But, may I ask, what are these choices? Which version should I buy? RIP. Corrin would've been such an amazing character, can you imagine if you could actually make choices in the game, where you're given a set of possible answers among requests and questions and you decide what to do? Spare enemies, kill them, help them, whatever, it could've been a single game with 3 or 2 different paths or endings where you construct the avatar. That would've been tons of exciting, but alas, look what we got. Past the disappointment and metldown of what Fates is, based on the above mentioned, I can say Fates is a lost opportunity, and probably a failure rather than a success in that materia. Whether a player is confortable with it and still plays it, or dislikes it and quits playing it, is a another subject; and most posts here have been based on "I'm ok with it" or "It met my expectations", leaving no space for debate, and increasing love/hate matters.

For gameplay alone, we have new classes, a new weapon durability/effect system, hidden weapons, guard/attack stance, improved class/skill sharing methods, personal skills and My Castle. For non-core gameplay, we have good music, smooth map to battle transitions and an ambitious attempt (that ended in failure) at telling a story through 3 campaigns. But sure, let's call it Awakening 2.0

Fates has some minor improvements which enhance the gameplay experience, but nothing else. All FE games have good music so that's nothing new, and the innovations in classes, weapon durability, effects, etc., bring more lack of balance rather than balance itself. Edited by Quintessence

Sacred Stones sold 246,000 units domestically.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/3341/fire-emblem-the-sacred-stones/Japan/

Your source?

Awakening absolutely deserves credit for the success of the franchise today.

How does the success of the franchise affect my experience of Awakening?

I know I'm not the only one to call you out on this, but you're treating your opinions like facts again.

Try to find a way to express yourself that's less "I'm the only one who can possibly be right" in tone, please?

He's obviously trolling. Go read his other posts.

He's obviously trolling. Go read his other posts.

Pot, meet kettle.

The two of you are very similar, and not in a good way. It would make my life way easier if both of you would tone it down.

Pot, meet kettle.

The two of you are very similar, and not in a good way. It would make my life way easier if both of you would tone it down.

Yeah, I just read the code of conduct a while ago, sorry about that. Though I wouldn't say that I post with the intent to troll (most of the time, anyway), but rather with a complete lack of knowledge of the rules of this site. The last place I discussed FE had essentially no moderation

Awakening was pretty over-rated imo. The pair up system was ridiculously exploitable, as was the children mechanics and reclassing. The story had so many plot-holes, it made Mass Effect 3's ending seem fuffling. There are literally no memorable villains except Mustafa. The characters were so one dimensional, and only 10 percent of their supports were deep. The level design was so bland and uninspired, and casual mode was largely unnecessary. The game was just too easy.

Fe7 comes in a close second, despite the fact that it is one of my favorite games in the series. The game was relatively easy, and the enemies in the endgame scaled very poorly. The ending of the game is also anti-climatic.

Edited by Valkarian

Either 5 or 7 probably. 7 has literally no positive qualities to it and is a mess of several of the worst decisions and biggest failures in the series, but it gets a pass on literally all of them for some reason and it's just kind of held as a good game as long as you ignore... the game. I guess.

5 is held in a high regard literally because it's hard, despite the fact that its actual gameplay and story fall pretty... short. Beyond the former being difficult.

Either 5 or 7 probably. 7 has literally no positive qualities to it and is a mess of several of the worst decisions and biggest failures in the series, but it gets a pass on literally all of them for some reason and it's just kind of held as a good game as long as you ignore... the game. I guess.

5 is held in a high regard literally because it's hard, despite the fact that its actual gameplay and story fall pretty... short. Beyond the former being difficult.

I assume you're trolling.

to be honest fe7 has a lot of pacing issues and pretty dull maps overall, I can the points there. The defence chapters are terrible.

That's true. Yet totally different from having 'literally no positive qualities'.

I really like FE7's maps, mechanics (as the GBA's simple mechanics are my favorite), graphics and cast, but I can see why one might dislike them.

It just boils down to opinion, really. Like, I see FE7 as a great game and really like it, but someone else can look at the same things I do and snort in disgust.

FE7's problem is that, while I at least feel like it doesn't really do anything really badly, it doesn't really do anything exceptionally well either. It just... is.