Top Five Favorite and Bottom Five Least Favorite Pokemon

Sunwoo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 5:

All of the Johto Legendaries (excluding event Pokémon) for actually looking like Japanese Pokémon - especially Ho-Oh!

Bottom 5:

1. Arceus - seriously? A God Pokémon? I just can't wrap my head around it.

2-4 tie: The kami trio, for being in Poke-USA, and looking too Japanese despite this.

5. Blitzle - for being the only choice for a fair while in Black 1, and being useless.

Dishonorary mention: The Regi Trio - I don't like having non-Japanese legendaries in what is supposed to be in a Japanese region. If anything, the Hebrew-inspired legendaries should've been in Unova to reflect the large population of Jewish residents in New York City.

Edited by henrymidfields

Top 5:All of the Johto Legendaries (excluding event Pokémon) for actually looking like Japanese Pokémon - especially Ho-Oh!

2-4 tie: The kami trio, for being in Poke-USA, and looking too Japanese despite this.

Dishonorary mention: The Regi Trio - I don't like having non-Japanese legendaries in what is supposed to be in a Japanese region. If anything, the Hebrew-inspired legendaries should've been in Unova to reflect the large population of Jewish residents in New York City.

You have an issue with the Hoenn Legends and Genies because they don't fit? What?

The Tao trio is Chinese.

The Musketeers are French.

The Kalos trio is Norse.

Solgaleo and Lunala are ???, but I'm pretty sure they aren't Hawaiian.

Mewtwo and Mew are South American by lore.

This just seems like such a nebulous complaint. Legends typically never match the home region. And if we followed your logic, we'd have an obnoxious amount of Japanese inspired Legends.

My favorites would be like, Qwilfish, Vanilluxe, Scolipede, Leavanny, and Slowbro.

I don't have least favorites because I don't judge Pokemon lol

Is it right to dislike a Pokemon just because of it's fans? Seems rather unfair to me.

It might not be right, but I do it anyway!

Favorites

1. Azumarill

2. Sceptile

3. Dragonite

4. Sableye

5. Talonflame

6. Durant

7. Mankey

8. Spiritomb

9. Ninjask

10. Espeon

The only two pokemon I dislike (unless I forgot something that happened) are Klefki and Liepard.

EDIT: Whoops, posted before the list was done lol

Edited by Aura Wolf

You have an issue with the Hoenn Legends and Genies because they don't fit? What?

The Tao trio is Chinese.

The Musketeers are French.

The Kalos trio is Norse.

Mewtwo and Mew are South American by lore.

This just seems like such a nebulous complaint. Legends typically never match the home region. And if we followed your logic, we'd have an obnoxious amount of Japanese inspired Legends.

Mew (either itself or its DNA) was captured and carried back home to Kanto, so that's not a problem. And Mewtwo was artificially created in Cinnabar Island - NOT in South America. And at least the Viking actually made a foothold in northernFrance (otherwise there wouldn't be Normandy), so that's not as egregious as my stated examples. As for others that you mentioned, I give a bit more leeway where overseas-inspired ones are involved. Not great, and some of them may be runner-ups of my least favs, but at least I can chalk-it up to GF inevitably not quite knowing stuff outside its home turf.

The examples that I stated above are unforgivable, period, because they involve stuff with GF's home turf. As for your wihinging with "too many Japanese Pokémon blah blah blah", well I actually wish we went overseas as early as Gen 3, with RSE being Hawaii and Gen 4 being...Scandinavia/Canada/Russia, well take your pick. (Though Hokkaido isn't as bad.) I wish Pokémon didn't stray away from it's real-world focus of Gen 1 and Gen 2. Especially when the game, anime, and especially the anime novelization by Takeshi Shudo mentioned real-life cities and nations. That's the reason why I hate RSE with a passion, because I see it as a fake Kyushu (or tropical) region. I would very much prefer Gen 3 with the Alola region, if I had my way. (Unova region is somewhat of the exception, as I say that that was a transition period with the setting from Japan-focused to more overseas-focused. Still doesn't make the Kami trio look better, though.)

So too bad, I'm afraid. This is something that I absolutely refuse to budge on. Agree to disagree.

Edited by henrymidfields

• 2 weeks later...

Top fave

1. Arcanine (my love for this perfect package of gorgeous, cool and cuddly has no bounds)

2. Eevee

3. Lapras

4-10. Mawile, Whimsicott, Absol, Stoutland, Meowstic, Furfrou, Excadrill

Least fave (in no particular order except the one I thought of them)

Garbodor

Vanilluxe

Conkeldurr

Amoonguss

Binacle

Favorites

10. Giratina - Dragon/Ghost is a cool and as of now unique typing. I also really like the designs of its 2 forms.

9. Empoleon - As it may become apparent with the rest of the list, I like birds. The fact that this one is based on a penguin and has the steel type makes me like it even more.

8. Articuno - Back when I played Blue on an emulator, Articuno has always been one of my favorites. I always loved its elegant design even though I find it funny that they seemingly based an ice legendary on a tropical bird (quetzal)

7. Zekrom - Nothing much to say other than I like its intimidating design and that I really like its typing.

6. Talonflame - My bird bias shows again here. really like its color scheme. It's also great to have one while breeding pokemon.

5. Lugia - I really like it's sleek design and the lore behind it. The movie probably helped it secure a spot on this list.

4. Staraptor - Last bird on this listé Staraptor was a mainstay on my Pearl and Platinum team. It was great to have an early bird pokemon that was actually threathening in battle.

3. Gardevoir - I really liked its elegant design back when I played Sapphire. The recent addition of the fairy type and its mega, especially the shiny form, really made me appreciate it more.

2. Sceptile - Even though I played Blue and Gold on emulators before, Sapphire was the first game I physically owned and I picked Treecko as my starter. Being the young 10 year old that I was back then, I mainly used one pokemon, which was my Sceptile. At the end of the game, I had a level 70 Sceptile name Yoshi that successfully carried me through the elite 4. The memories, coupled with its design are what made it my 2nd favorite pokemon

1. Metagross - Steel type is one of top 3 favorite types and Metagross is a big reason why. I played through Sapphire mostly unaware of its existence until I faced it as Steven's most powerful pokemon. I immediately liked its design and wanted one for myself as soon as I could. How hard it was to get made it all the more satisfying when I finally got one. The trouble of leveling up the weak Beldum all the way to a powerful Metagross made finally getting one all the more satisfying. Metagross also has bar none my favorite shiny design. So getting a shiny one holding its new Megastone when ORAS came out was a great thing for me. A minor detail, but I always liked the lore surrounding its evolution and how its reflected in the design of its entire line, including the mega evolution. (Metang= 2 Beldum. Metagross = 2 metang. Mega Metagross = 1 Metagross + 1 Metang + 2 Beldum)

Least Favorites

5. Stantler - Deers are animals I always liked, due in part to their graceful look, so that the original deer pokemon has such an ugly design always grated me. At least we eventually got Sawsbuck.

4. Klinklang line - These are the only steel types I despise. I find the designs pretty horrible, with the evolutions being just adding more gears. There's plenty of pokemon based on innanimate objects, but they nearly all have design elements that make them seem like living creatures. For these ones, the literally looks like big gear piece with markings on them.

I'm going to cheat a bit for the last 3 spots by using groups of pokemon instead of a particular one.

3. Elemental Monkeys - I don't really know why these always got on my nerve but they do. Though the fact that their designs are copy pasted on one another except for 1 color, the hairstyle and the eyes is probably to blame.

2. Pikaclones - While I do kind of like Pikachu, its not a design I'm so fond of that I wish to see it in every generations. Plusle and Minun are probably the worst offenders for me.

1. Baby Pokemon - For the most part, I find them completely useless and a waste of time thanks to the happiness evolution they nearly all have. The fact that most of them always come a generation later than their evolution doesn't help me like them. Riolu, Munchlax, Togepi and Wynaut are the only ones I like in the whole bunch.

Edited by LuxSpes

Favorites:

1) Glaceon

2) Sylveon

3 ) Espeon

4) Vulpix

5) Ninetails

I love foxes so my top 5 are of course my favorite fox pokemon.I also started to like protean greninja.So many amazing tricks you can do.

Least favorite?Hmmm.....I dont have any dislikes.

Top 4 Favorites: (I can't pick a 5th...)

4. Squirtle: Unlike a lot of people, my first starter isn't my favorite. If fact, Treecko is near the latter end of my starter list. But I do like Squirtle. I got really attached to it from playing FireRed, and I always choose it over Bulbasaur and Charmander.

3. Weavile: Combining two of my favorite typings, and with great stats to boot, Weavile has risen to my top 5 over a very short amount of time. I've enjoyed this thing SOOO much, and if it shows up in Sun and Moon, I'm scooping it up as soon as possible.

2. Glaceon: While not the best in battle, Glaceon has a great design and is my favorite of the Eeveelutions.

1. Zorua: I've said it before, but I ADORE the Zorua family. Not only is it one of the earliest B/W Pokemon I was introduced to thanks to the movie and Corocoro, I love its design and think it's a bit underrated in competitive.

Least Favorites, in no particular order, are:

Mr. Mime, Jynx, Kangaskhan.

The general consensus is that they're based on Alchemy, as I think most of us know by how many damn videos there are about it.

And a lot of them bring up how Alchemy is tied to Hawaii. Go watch those videos, it helps them make more sense on typings and whatnot. The evidence is extremely strong.

Edited by TrueEm

Top Top Five Favorite:

1. Deoxys

2. Venusaur

3. Gardevoir

4. Golurk

5. Froslass

Top Five Least Favorite:

1. Chansey

2. Espeon

3. Umbreon

4. Persian

5. Gallade(PLEASEDONTHURTME)

Just for clarification, there is no Pokemon I explicitly hate/dislike. Just ones I don't like as much as others.

• 2 weeks later...

Not counting Alola Pokémon as valid answers to this because their games aren't out yet and I wanna wait until I've experienced them in context to pass judgment.

I don't really have any Pokémon I dislike, so I'm giving all ten total slots to favorites, in no particular order:

• Flygon. It's got a great mixture of cute and cool, and it can learn Fly, too, which is much appreciated since I don't tend to use many bird Pokémon. I also just kinda like Ground as a type for some reason.
  • Sandslash, for largely the same reasons as Flygon (cute, cool, Ground-type). Sandshrew, too, but especially Sandslash.
  • Mew, due to its cute and mysterious nature. It's sort of emblematic to me of the unknown (ohohoho) in the Pokémon world, which has always been an enduring point of fascination for me about the series.
  • Reshiram. Gorgeous. Also I kinda like its typing and moveset.
  • Zorua and Zoroark are sharing a spot and I'm only counting them as one entry. There's actually a story behind this one! I can't remember if it was over GTS or via Wonder Trade (I'm feeling like it was GTS), but I got a level 1 Zorua in Y version. Looking through her stats and moves, I kinda started to suspect that she was a reject from some Zorua breeding program or other, and I felt kinda bad for her, so I decided to adopt her into my team, about four or five Gym Badges into the game, IIRC... Even though I already had an Absol (who is also still on the team). She's since made it all the way up to par with the rest of my team, and has been doing quite well. On that note...
  • Absol has really grown on me lately. I really dig the whole "scary appearance but actually benevolent" thing that they have going on. I also decided to work one into my main team in Y version on the spot when I ran into one and saw how adorable they inexplicably are in the 3DS games all of a sudden.
  • Quilava are just about the cutest, most huggable little firebeans out there. Actually, I like Cyndaquil and Typhlosion a lot, too.
  • Mewtwo, but actually not so much for its anime incarnation, as I'd imagine is the reason for most people liking it, nor frankly for how strong it is, either. "Artificial supersoldier lifeform" is actually a character type I really like in concept, although I personally haven't seen a whole lot interesting done with it.
  • Mienfoo and Mienshao is probably my Fighting-type line of choice.
  • Cubone and Marowak, for the sad backstory and, again, Ground-type favoritism.

Also, speaking as someone who started with Generation I (my first Pokémon game was Red Version), I don't really get all the hatred for Pokémon like Vanillite or Trubbish. The series has always had weird object-based Pokémon (the Voltorb, Magnemite, Grimer, and arguably Koffing lines, and also Exeggcute, Geodude, and Graveler), and the newer object-based Pokémon are only about as different from the older ones as the newer animal-based Pokémon are from the older animal-based Pokémon.

Edited by Topaz Light

Top five:

1. Weavile

2. Spheal

3. Sceptile

4. Infernape

5. Slowbro

Least favourite:

1. Mega Heracross It counts right.

2. Wormadam

3. Diggersby

4. Elelektrik

5. Victini (Long story short, my Victini killed my second shiny with a crit.)

1.Arcanine: By a far margin. Its a giant fire lion dog!

2.Lucario: A martial arts/tai-chi pokemon. I am not surprised by its popularity.

3.Machamp: I always liked muscular characters, so naturally I was pretty fond of Machoke. I wasn't to sure about Machamp (with the four arms and all) until Pokken Tournament.

4.Greninja: Greninja didn't really interest me, but I am not sure why the fact it was ninja didn't really cling to me until it got in Smash, since I really like ninjas. When I saw its moves, Greninja became my faveorite pokemon smasher. Of course now its Lucario, but Greninja is stilk cool.

5. Umbreon/Flareon: The Eeveelutions were the first pokemon I fell in love with. Originally , I liked Flareon the best , but after realizing I had too many fire types already (and hearing that it wasn't that great), I started to lean towards Umbreon more.

Special mentions: Gallade, Raichu, Solgaleo (I don't care if Sun's not out yet), Gardevour, Blastiose, Glaceon, Absol, Luxray, Sandslash, Yveltal.

Aside from a handfull of Ghost types (which is more of "I don't care" than dislike), there aren't any Pokemon I actually hate. I am surprised at all the Charizard hate though. I mean, yes, his fans sound annoying, but I would personally hold it against the fans more than the Pokemon.

Top 5:

Ninetales (it has a great design and interesting lore behind it)

Braixen (it also has a great design, and it's one of the best looking mid-stage Pokemon)

Bisharp (it has a fantastic design and great stats. What is there not to love about it?)

Golurk (it has a great design, and an interesting backstory. Its shiny is also pretty great, and Golett just happens to be the first shiny I ever successfully caught)

Zoroark (good design and it's pretty decent in competitive)

Flareon's a runner-up

Bottom 5:

Sableye (I really hate going against this thing's Mega Evolution. It's really annoying to try to deal with if you aren't using a Fairy type. It's the only Pokemon I actually hate.)

Electrode (quite possibly the laziest and most uninspired Pokemon ever)

Duskull (I have some bad memories with this Pokemon. It was the first shiny I ever encountered, and I had no Poke Balls on me. At least Dusknoir's pretty cool.)

Emboar (compared to the other two Gen 5 starters, Emboar's just lackluster)

Klefki (it's annoying to go against and I feel dirty every time I even think of using it)

Charizard's a runner up, and I would have put it on the list over Klefki if there wasn't already a Fire-type starter on the list

Edited by Crystalized Silver

I am surprised at all the Charizard hate though. I mean, yes, his fans sound annoying, but I would personally hold it against the fans more than the Pokemon.

It's partially the fans, partially the fact that they're overly pandered to (Charizard did not need 2 Mega Evolutions, for example) and partly the fact I find it to be very boring design wise. It's a normal looking Western Dragon. And?

I'm mostly just sick of it.

To all people who put Mawile in their top faves let me say that you are all awesome people and you are in my BFF list.

1.- Mawile

2.- Lilligant

3.- Milotic

4.- Lucario

5.- Tropius

Honorable mentions: Greninja, Glaceon, Espeon, Snorlax, Absol, Celebi, Jirachi.

Bottom:

I honestly cannot think of a Pokemon I dislike too much, but I'm not a fan of that ice cream cone line (Vanillite, I think it was?)

It's partially the fans, partially the fact that they're overly pandered to (Charizard did not need 2 Mega Evolutions, for example) and partly the fact I find it to be very boring design wise. It's a normal looking Western Dragon. And?

I'm mostly just sick of it.

This basically summarizes my thoughts on Charizard in a nutshell. I just didn't include it in the bottom 5 because they're ones I like less than Charizard.

Fav: Volcarona

Tauros

Galvantula

Serperior

Kingler

As for least favorite there are a lot i don't like but I don't have particularly strong feelings of dislike towards them. Luvdisc, Scrafty, and Watchog stand out though.

Fav: I think this is kinda obvious but there's more than 5.

Least fav: Garbodor, Aegislash, Darkrai, Mega Brokenkhan, Blissey