Do you have a hard time differentiating between what is a good or bad unit, and blatant favoritism?

I have played through Path of Radiance about 5 times, and every single time I have used Rolf. And every time, he turned out to be one of my better units. But I have learned recently that a lot of people think he is a terrible unit and one of the worst in Path of Radiance. But looking back now, I don't know if Rolf is actually a good unit or not. He starts at a low level, sure, but I didn't find it hard to feed him kills and I can give him some bonus exp since that is a thing in the game. I know bows aren't great in Path of Radiance, but I like to have diversity in my team and you don't get another bow user to further down the road. I will admit, I have never actually tried to use Astrid before, and Shinon's bases are not good when you get him back later in the game, so I don't use him either. But that is the thing though, I am starting to think it is because I show favoritism to him by feeding him kills and bonus exp that he does turn out good. And I am only now starting to realize that.

Do you have any characters like that in Fire Emblem in which you think they are better than what they probably actually are, due to showing favoritism to them?

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Since i've done LTC and casual runs both, I can tell the differences pretty well. Although I tend to have bias regardless, because I like certain characters etc, the beauty of fire emblem really is how much choice you have in how you play and who ends up being the most effective, even if there are more optimal choices, you aren't entirely screwed usually if you don't use them.

I haven't played FE9 in a while admittedly, but I didn't think Rolf was one of the worst units, just fairly mediocre to below average.

I think it's pretty common for people less experienced in Fire Emblem to be unable to tell the difference. Not saying that you are, just that I've encountered quite a few people that would swear by growth units up and down yet scoff at the Jagens/Oifayes/pre-promotes that are actually very good.

Edited by Tryhard

i never confuse units i like with units that are good, i'm the first to admit that a lot of units i like are really bad

i always use ronan ffs

I do clearly recognize my own favoritism or lack of favoritism when using or not using units.

I don't mind that(pony upon promotion aside) Levin is better in about every single thing then Azel but because Azel is Azel he shall always have a place on my team. Tiltyu too requires some babying to become useful but because she's Tiltyu I don't mind that to much. Though it helps there's no character limit in 4.

It doesn't matter how good a unit Shinon is in RD. He's a massive jerk so he's getting either the bench or the grim reaper. Same for Makalov if he would have been a good unit.

I never cared about Arthur being a tricky character to get right. He's a medieval superhero who's incredible over the top. How can I NOT use him?

Hardin was about the only character in Shadow Dragon with a personality. It was that reason and not him being a great unit with easy access to silver lances that earned him a permanent spot in every shadow dragon game. Though him being a great unit does help.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

It doesn't matter how good a unit Shinon is in RD. He's a massive jerk so he's getting either the bench or the grim reaper.

Really? I always put him on my team because he's a massive unrepentant dick. It's more human than everyone being a starry-eyed teenager.

Edited by Tryhard

Considering my Roys and Sues ALWAYS turn into gods and I've had a Beruka turn out better than Camilla, Yes really, I'd say I'd qualify.

I can actually see that being a common thing if you don't like using Prepromotes like I do, and Beruka actually has some pretty damn good growths besides speed and strength. Hell, Beruka becomes a badass Berserker and out classes Arthur(she's just as tanky and doesn't have terrible luck) and Charlotte(she can take more hits and get more crits due to her high skill) on my playthrough.

Peri would be a good example of a unit that can be good when favoritism that I admit will always try to level up. That Personal Skill and her high Strength and Speed is just too tempting. I even got her a level up on chapter 17 in Revelations. I also like Peri, so there's that.

Really? I always put him on my team because he's a massive unrepentant dick. It's more human than everyone being a starry-eyed teenager.

But you can be a bad person or a jerk without being consistently in the wrong in every situation.

Niime, Soren, Vaida and Ray are hardly starry eyed but they can at least be civil and when they aren't I never get the feeling they just prove how good the object of their ire truly is.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Don't think I have a hard time differentiating at all. I use the units that I like anyways because it's more fun that way.

I haven't played FE9 in a while admittedly, but I didn't think Rolf was one of the worst units, just fairly mediocre to below average.

He joins really early, so he probably beats a lot of the late joiners just by virtue of existing. Still mediocre to below average, yeah. At least he can shoot crows.

But you can be a bad person or a jerk without being consistently in the wrong in every situation.

Niime, Soren, Vaida and Ray are hardly starry eyed but they can at least be civil and when they aren't I never get the feeling they just prove how good the object of their ire truly is.

#ShinonDidNothingWrong

He ain't civil but someone who is fighting for the same cause you are (though in Shinon's case, reluctantly) and still being someone you could hate is quite relatable. Plus it's heavily implied he has both family and drinking issues, it's not really surprising that he's a hateful prick most of the time.

I think characters like him and Jill (who is probably one of my favourites because she actually has some character development) are necessary to show the racism towards laguz isn't just from the big bad red units.

I'm driven to use Bantu in Shadow Dragon, regardless of his fragile Dragonstone, not in that it has few uses, but he only gets a replacement in Chapter 17, and I don't think he gets another anywhere else in the story. I haven't used him in New Mystery yet, but he sounds more useful because you can buy Dragonstones, and not just Firestones.

Edited by Feldmarschall Rommel

My playstyle can be described as favoritism. I decide my team before I start playing, and then proceed to give all experience to my lowest level units. Which for instance means that if I use both Seth and Franz in Sacred Stones, Seth won't see any experience until Franz has promoted. At that point, Seth will get doubled and deals virtually no damage.

Whenever someone says a unit is "bad", they're just saying the unit is bad for their playstyle.

(Que people saying their playstyle is the "best playstyle" =P )

Which for instance means that if I use both Seth and Franz in Sacred Stones, Seth won't see any experience until Franz has promoted. At that point, Seth will get doubled and deals virtually no damage.

Too bad that we're talking about Sacred Stones, which has some of the most laughable enemies iin the series. Which means that your statement about Seth getting doubled and doing next to no damage wouldn't hold water, unless you were taking a base level Seth into Lagdou or something.

#ShinonDidNothingWrong

He ain't civil but someone who is fighting for the same cause you are (though in Shinon's case, reluctantly) and still being someone you could hate is quite relatable. Plus it's heavily implied he has both family and drinking issues, it's not really surprising that he's a hateful prick most of the time.

I think characters like him and Jill (who is probably one of my favourites because she actually has some character development) are necessary to show the racism towards laguz isn't just from the big bad red units.

You have a good point. Also, for what it's worth, Shinon genuinely cares for Rolf (See: the "Master and Pupil" base conversation in RD).

As for the question: Not really, though some games make it more obvious than others.

#ShinonDidNothingWrong

Oh Jill is awesome. With Jill her struggle with the racism she was brought up with and the reality she finds them in are a core of her character arc.

With Shinon though its just another one of his many bad traits.

after two or three runs i can usually tell who is good and who isn't (thanks LTC)

that being said i still feed units i like everything they can get because i like them

Too bad that we're talking about Sacred Stones, which has some of the most laughable enemies iin the series. Which means that your statement about Seth getting doubled and doing next to no damage wouldn't hold water, unless you were taking a base level Seth into Lagdou or something.

funny you say that

base level seth has 14 str (28 atk with a silver lance) and 12 spd. endgame wights have 38-41ish HP/8-11 AS and anywhere from 6 to 11 AS (depending on what they're wielding). let's take an average one with 8 AS and 39/9 HP/Def. 19x2 damage, lives with 1 hp. "little to no damage". even if he can't double, that's still about half of that thing's health.

defensively? 30 HP/11 def vs an average of 24 attack. we've established that he cannot get doubled, so it takes three hits to take him down. additionally, with only about 100 hit (vs base seth's 37 avoid), that's only a 63% chance to hit at all (less if there's WTD).

it's not great combat (at least not for fe8 standards; for other games this would be pretty acceptable), but remember that this is base level seth with zero experience vs endgame generics.

so yeah, "seth falls off" is bullshit.

i pumped three goddess icons into arthur after his join chapter.

is that favorism?

Yes, Elise needed those you monster.

(In all seriously CQ is kinda chill in that boosters have really well defined targets and almost every unit needs them to reach their full potential. It's hard to call that favoritism)

For on topicness: I tend to show blatant favoritism to good units for the strongest possible crop of waifu's

Edited by joshcja

Since i've done LTC and casual runs both, I can tell the differences pretty well.

after two or three runs i can usually tell who is good and who isn't (thanks LTC)

I am not sure how I feel about people using LTC as a way of determining who is and isn't a good unit.