Sun and Moon Competitive Discussion

ZoesMad

I'm kinda surprised Hyper Offense Ninetales haven't become a thing yet. Only screen breaker that is commonly used is Tapu Fini, Latis, and Sharpedo and its really just click Aurora Veil -> Click set up move. I guess the meta kinda lacks OP set up sweeper aside from Zygarde and P-Z to make it an actual thing but idk

Oh it's definitely a valid option. Zard X and Mega Gyara are two things that also pair pretty well with that combo. Also it's worth noting that you can't Defog Aurora Veil, at least on Showdown. Idk if that's how it works on cart but I found out about the Defog thing the hard way lol

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh it's definitely a valid option. Zard X and Mega Gyara are two things that also pair pretty well with that combo. Also it's worth noting that you can't Defog Aurora Veil, at least on Showdown. Idk if that's how it works on cart but I found out about the Defog thing the hard way lol

does brick break still work though?

In this replay: A clear example of a terrible player who only won by using extremely skillful move such as Iron Head, Thunder Wave, and Glare

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-490924249

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-490928644

I kinda like ZyGlarede tbh. Not sure how to optimize it

Have i mentioned i like Tapu Bulu lol

V 2.0, now using the broken pokemon Magearna

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-490970305

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-490976903

This one is a game where i won by hax so i kinda want to know what should i do had the Hydro miss didn't happen

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-490983670

Edited by JSND

In this replay: A clear example of a terrible player who only won by using extremely skillful move such as Iron Head, Thunder Wave, and Glare

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-490924249

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-490928644

I kinda like ZyGlarede tbh. Not sure how to optimize it

Bulu is great. It's weird 'cuz like, he's clearly the Terrakion of this set of demi-legendaries, but like... such a wildly different typing and playstyle. It's pretty cool. (Terrakion was boring IMO. He has good stats but there's nothing interesting or particularly unexpected about how he can be played)

I recall seeing in interesting set that was something along the lines of SubSeed + Bulk Up + Wood Hammer. I don't remember the stat spread, but I saw some pretty impressive replays with it haha.

Edited by BANRYU

Exactly what are these new mega mechanics that Deltre mentioned?

Not sure exactly which post you're referring to lol but I imagine that I was talking about how the speed is now reflected on the same turn that you Mega Evolve. For example Mega Zam will have 150 Speed the first turn it evolves, Mega Sableye will not have Prankster the turn it evolves, etc. It really helps out the Megas with meh speed before evolution like Metagross a lot.

Mega Pokemon gets speed modifier of any kind right after Mega Evolving. This basically means Mega Metagross on evo gets 110 speed right off the bat, instead of 70 turn 1 110 next turn.

The smaller effect is nerf on Sableye Prankster T1 plays, a buff on Prankster Bannete T1 W-o-W, and M Chomp getting 92 speed from the get go, or Cholo Saur Mega in the sun on mega Evo getting real speed right off the bat

The bigger effect is the entire 110 metagame of gen 6 including notably Mega Diancie can get their desired speed right off the bat, in some cases like Diancie even allows it to drop Protect. Mega Zam also gets instants 150 which is neat for some match up

Edited by JSND

Pokemon like Beedrill and Swampert also really love the new MegaEvo mechanics... too bad they don't exist yet in the game OTL.

Sigh... always gotta be takin' a step backward with GF. Can't make good progress TOO quickly... haha...

This one is a game where i won by hax so i kinda want to know what should i do had the Hydro miss didn't happen

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-490983670

Coulda went for EQ into Ice Shard on the Keldeo vs Mamoswine matchup since you were sash anyways if I'm not mistaken? I assume that you're Sp.Def on Bulu to some extent since that Hydro Pump did too much for Scarf Keldeo, so after seeing that you could have picked him off pretty easily with Gene after the EQ damage.

Coulda went for EQ into Ice Shard on the Keldeo vs Mamoswine matchup since you were sash anyways if I'm not mistaken? I assume that you're Sp.Def on Bulu to some extent since that Hydro Pump did too much for Scarf Keldeo, so after seeing that you could have picked him off pretty easily with Gene after the EQ damage.

Oh yeah Mamoswine isn't particularly useful that game too. EQ into Ice Shard puts Keldeo into 28 range

I think i'm too scared of Pheromosa that game

Any ideas on Arceus and Meloetta now that they're distributed online?

I can get 2 so I was thinking on a physical and special attacker for Arceus. In that regard: natures? Evs? Moves? Functionality?

= EDIT =

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Quintessence

The most "consistently good" Arceus is probably the bulky and fast Swords Dance one

Not sure which between Bold or Timid for the second copy. Bold is essentially only for Water Arceus and this is probably the best support Arceus and PROBABLY one of the best Arceus overall. Timid is used mainly for Dark Arceus(and Fairy Arceus) but it technically have the most set. Its a quality vs quantity

Edited by JSND

honestly tapu bulu has been warming up to me especially design wise and i've been tempted to watch people use him

someone said he's the tapu version of terrakion? is he at least more interesting to use? because as useful as the bulldog was, i got bored of using him after a while

honestly tapu bulu has been warming up to me especially design wise and i've been tempted to watch people use him

someone said he's the tapu version of terrakion? is he at least more interesting to use? because as useful as the bulldog was, i got bored of using him after a while

I'd definitely say he's got a few more tricks up his sleeve than Terrakion did. Band is the obvious set, sure, but his presence alone is enough to really get to some teams, especially the ones that rely on strong Ground attacks. He has some good support moves in Taunt, Nature's Madness, Bulk Up, and JSND makes me think Leech Seed might be a pretty solid option too. In Pokebank I kinda like Psychinium Z to lure Mega Venusaur/Amoonguss and KO after Wood Hammer/Rocks damage.

Also Specs Pelipper needs some love. These games are pretty old, but this set always works wonders for me.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-485312559

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-485368163

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-485333444

Somehow this replay got mixed in with those too. It's unrelated but it does involve a 4 mon Jolteon sweep so there's that.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484899678

I love Specs Pelipper but my team needs the bulky set with Phero still in the meta.

Also Waterium-Z Manaphy is by far the best variant we've seen of the Mon since Gen 4. I run the TG+RD set and it cleans up.

Never forget legend of low ladder when your Defensive Landorus Therian switch in on MZardX in a squad with 5 mon that beat Landorus Therian + MZardX and the MZardX somehow uses Hidden Power Ice

The low ladder is hilarious. You might find something stupid without even trying.

I'd definitely say he's got a few more tricks up his sleeve than Terrakion did. Band is the obvious set, sure, but his presence alone is enough to really get to some teams, especially the ones that rely on strong Ground attacks. He has some good support moves in Taunt, Nature's Madness, Bulk Up, and JSND makes me think Leech Seed might be a pretty solid option too. In Pokebank I kinda like Psychinium Z to lure Mega Venusaur/Amoonguss and KO after Wood Hammer/Rocks damage.

Also Specs Pelipper needs some love. These games are pretty old, but this set always works wonders for me.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-485312559

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-485368163

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-485333444

Somehow this replay got mixed in with those too. It's unrelated but it does involve a 4 mon Jolteon sweep so there's that.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-484899678

I didn't expect to see a Serperior on someone's team. Contrary or was Serperior buffed?

I didn't expect to see a Serperior on someone's team. Contrary or was Serperior buffed?

Contrary. He's a little weak yea, but Bulu really helps that out with his Grassy Terrain. Serp's a pretty good partner if you don't mind 2 Grass types, but Grass is my favorite type so I'm biased lol

Honestly i always thought the biggest weakness of Serperior is before it ramps up and forced to use coverage move and that bad coverage

Its initial Leaf Storm hits hard enough(its as powerful as Aegislash Shadow Ball), but depending on the extra move a lot of things can force it out

Also yeah despite the initial expectation that Tapu Bulu will only become a "LOL click Wood Hammer something is dead LOL" kind of pokemon, it actually ended up being very versatile. The key part is really Grassy Terrain being an insane supporting effect that pretty much anything grounded can make use of it. I'd still reccomend you to use it with Landorus since Ground coverage often comes into play against 4x weak, and not many Ground Weak abuser is half as versatile as both form of Landorus

Honestly if you feel crazy enough i'm pretty sure Specially Offensive Tapu Bulu is still somewhat legit for what it is. HP Fire, Giga Drain from Base 85 on terrain is equal to Base 152 Giga Drain, and if for some crazy reason you want to get the cake and eat it, give it Wood Hammer to 2HKO Chansey for no reason(uninvested Wood Hammer 2shot Latios). This is more of a joke idea though

Edited by JSND

Honestly i always thought the biggest weakness of Serperior is before it ramps up and forced to use coverage move and that bad coverage

Its initial Leaf Storm hits hard enough(its as powerful as Aegislash Shadow Ball), but depending on the extra move a lot of things can force it out

Also yeah despite the initial expectation that Tapu Bulu will only become a "LOL click Wood Hammer something is dead LOL" kind of pokemon, it actually ended up being very versatile. The key part is really Grassy Terrain being an insane supporting effect that pretty much anything grounded can make use of it. I'd still reccomend you to use it with Landorus since Ground coverage often comes into play against 4x weak, and not many Ground Weak abuser is half as versatile as both form of Landorus

Maybe weak was the wrong word. I was basically trying to say the same thing as you did lol. That's the main reason I really like SubSeed since it really only leaves you vulnerable to something like Venusaur/Amoonguss if you're playing it right. Also the Grassy Terrain is nice for some matchups you couldn't win as easily before. You have a decent shot of blowing by Mega Metagross with 2 Leaf Storms now, for example, and that's without Life Orb. It's a little situational, but that goes back to what I said way earlier about using the Terrains to your advantage.

EDIT: Also Talon being dead helps a lot, but that's true for like 99% of all mons.

Edited by Deltre

Either form of Landorus? I think in your videos you used the default form? Just preference or...?

(sorry for so many questions)

Both Landorus are good but they're very different. Regular form is an incredible Sheer Force special attacker, and is one of the few Ground-types that doesn't weaken under Grassy Terrain.

Therian is more supportive with U-Turn, Intimidate and Stealth Rock support, but it's still a solid check to many physical attackers. It's too slow for most offensive roles though, but 145 attack hits hard.

Landorus Therian also had the new Flynium Z - Fly EQ +2 set which allows it to do a surprise wall break

But yeah thats pretty much it. Each form had its uses, and very slot efficient, but as of right now i can confirm that Landorus Incarnate is a completely bullshit pokemon that shouldn't be allowed in OU in the first place, so just use it while you can and enjoy it

Same to.... a lot of other pokemon i could mention. I really don't know why the fuck a fine pokemon like Aegislash is banned before Hoopa Unbound and Landorus for no reason

Edited by JSND

Landorus Therian also had the new Flynium Z - Fly EQ +2 set which allows it to do a surprise wall break

But yeah thats pretty much it. Each form had its uses, and very slot efficient, but as of right now i can confirm that Landorus Incarnate is a completely bullshit pokemon that shouldn't be allowed in OU in the first place, so just use it while you can and enjoy it

Same to.... a lot of other pokemon i could mention. I really don't know why the fuck a fine pokemon like Aegislash is banned before Hoopa Unbound and Landorus for no reason

They banned Aegislash already? Personally, I thought Hoopa Unbound shoulda been the one to get the ban hammer.

Hah yeah that was me lol. I also said he's way more interesting than Terrakion ~3o Terrakion was just a strong attacker with good stats, coverage, and boosting/item options; Bulu might be similar in terms of stats (though he trends toward being tanky rather than sweepy, but he's the strong physical attacker of the quartet so that's where I draw the comparison I guess? Also, both bulls lol), but his typing, ability, and moveset options make him infinitely less predictable and more interesting IMO.

They banned Aegislash already? Personally, I thought Hoopa Unbound shoulda been the one to get the ban hammer.

I know little to nothing about Hoopa in the competitive metagame (I stopped playing Gen 6 before he was released shrug), but one thing I do know is that I haven't seen a lot of them :0 That's gotta mean something.