The Golden Age. Act 1: Discoveries.

riariadne

"Thanks, Aria," Kolmar said gruffly. He turned his attention to the newcomer. "Merchant, you say? What do you have for sale?" he asked. Should be able to figure out whether she's a merchant or talking out of her ass.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Aww, Velvet slow down." Ulysses said, as soon as Velvet came back into his sight. "You ought to take some time to enjoy nature. See, I found some berries earlier!" As the sentence came out of his mouth he held out a hand filled with the berries he'd talked about earlier. However as he tipped his head back sliding the berries into his mouth, it became obvious that he wasn't offering any. "See what you could get if you just took some time to enjoy things?" He smiled showing off his sharp teeth, which had been recently stained purple by his antics. It wasn't until after all this that he realized Velvet was talking to some strangers.

"Errr..." Ulysses was supposed to acting as Velvet's bodyguard. Part of that was trying to seem intimidating so people wouldn't even want to start anything. Although, it was incredibly obvious that intimidation wouldn't work. "Well, so much for the scary barbarian act. Name's Ulysses, of The Graystone Tribe, I'm acting as bodyguard for little Velvet here. As long as you don't start anything I think we'll get along great." Ulysses then wiped his berry stained hand off on his pants, and offered it for a handshake. "Don't worry, I know the eyes freak people out, but I promise I'm not planning anything." Recent events had shown that people tend to be creeped out by his eyes. They are entirely black, and being large, gray, and shark-toothed didn't help matters either. Of course Ulysses found it made the intimidation aspect easier, and he was quite fond of trying to find the silver lining in things.

Edited by Honey Bunny

"My wares? Well, I made some good sales in the city, so I don't have as much as usual... nonetheless, I'm sure there's enough to impress," Velvet spoke assuredly. Withdrawing a plain-looking brown pouch from beneath her robes, she began to rummage around it for a few moments, showing off objects that seemed they would have an awfully hard time fitting. "Liquid luck! A drink of this vial is said to bring slightly better fortune. This dagger is razor sharp, able to stop any of your enemies in their tracks with a good hit. Aha, this tome is from the Magus Regus! Very nice, he's an interesting person. The frost magic it casts is powerful beyond imagination, though very difficult to wield and quite expensive... this fire tome is more of a well-rounded type, much more accessible. That one's not for sale... For this axe, don't let the silver exterior fool you- it's reinforced with steel too for a unique cutting edge. This sword looks nice, but I don't really know much about it... this bow here is magically enhanced, a strong option for anyone with good knowledge of archery and light magic. Those and a few more basic things, all open to negotiation, of course. Impressed? I'm also very good at appraisal, if I do say so."

Velvet gave a nod to Ulysses as he arrived. "I'm not hungry, thanks... anyway, yes, this is my traveling companion, Ulysses. I've found him to be rather dependable over this week or so of travels. I'm sure the treasure won't be easy to get, so another strong fighter would help, I'm sure."

"Used to it? Ha, anything but." She let out a small, sad chuckle. "I'm pretty sure I've already messed up too but what can you do?"

So he was running from his past. Interesting. "Well for what it's worth, I'm glad you're a part of our group. You're a strong fighter and I'm sure you'll get along with the rest of the group too. So hopefully your intuition and my knowledge are right and we reach a point where both our goals are achieved."

She might have continued but was distracted by the newcomers. The man seemed to be a demihuman of some sort. Nothing she recognized. The other though...

She let out an involuntary gasp. It couldn't be. But then again what were the chances this was coincedence. That someone who looked exactly like one of the people in her most recent vision would just show up randomly and not be that person? She moved without even really realizing it, closing in on the merchant. Getting closer, she saw the golden eyes. It had to be.

"Hello. My name is Kaya. I'm the leader of this group. I... Will you travel with us? I know I don't know you or even know your name but... You are meant to travel with us. I just know it." She hoped the others wouldn't think she was crazy but this had to have happened for a reason. It couldn't just be coincedence.

"I thought you'd never ask. Sure, I'd be glad to be your friend, Telmara." Mikhaila replied, allowing Telmara to get the rest of her thoughts out at her own pace.

"It's no problem. Sometimes during hard times, the light can be drowned out by the darkness, it becomes hard to see, hard to breathe. So long as you don't let it consume you, you can get past it. I'm sure that you can become as good a mage as you ever were, if not better. Just remember the steps you took in the first place, and repeat them."

"That'll take quite a long time..." She sighed, but remained smiling, trying to latch onto the positivity being thrown her way. "I-Is this the part where I'm supposed to say something corny? Like... 'Be the light to my darkness,' or whatever dribble they write in fiction... Pfeh, haha..." She'd managed to amuse herself, chuckling quietly, and was almost ready to happily resume reading, until more company arrived.

"Is that... Another demihuman...?" She couldn't tell easily at a distance, but their eyes-- quite similar. Just like mine... She set her tome aside once more and paused to look at Mihkaila. "Y-You can, uh... Come along, if you want. O-Obviously..." She blushed faintly, cursing her inability to socialize. Time to learn.

She'd started to wander over as their new acquaintance began to flash wares. A merchant? That's curious, all the way out-- what was that!? A tome had been waved past, and Telmara couldn't help herself, speeding along and ending up next to Kolmar. "Wh-What magic was that?" she blurted, trying to look to see if she still had it out, but the tome had disappeared back into her bag. "Or... Uh, wh-what... What do you have?" She quickly glanced at everyone there, wincing slightly as she noticed Kaya, but trying not to let her eyes linger. Don't make this awkward.

"Oh, um, y-yes, Raz.You can call me Jovi." Joviana replied awkwardly. She figured she'd just have to adjust to it. Then, hearing Aaron's words, she shook her head, disagreeing with what he had said. "And I wouldn't want that, Aaron. That time mage was clearly holding back on his power. If he wanted the Greatforger so badly, he could've just stopped time and snatched it from me, without any commotion. Why take the harder path and fight possibly strong people, when you can take the easier path, sneak past everyone, and find the treasure?" she responded, trying to imply the obvious to the delusional.

"Okay... hi," Aria spoke timidly when Ulysses introduced himself, shaking the demihuman's hand. "I'm Aria. I'm a small time mage and healer. N-nice meeting you two, I guess?" Kaya seemed certain about the fact she wanted them to join, and she trusted the priestess. "I'm not the best at talking, sorry..."

"Hmm?" Even though Velvet had wanted to talk with the leader of the group, she hadn't expected cooperation to be so easy. "Well, sure. I did say I'd like to join you, so of course I'll accept. What do you mean that I was meant to join you, though?" She approached the priestess, looking over her intently, bringing her eyes within inches of Kaya's face before retreating. "You're an odd one... tattoos of the gifts. Are they for good luck? Magic? Something else?"

Telmara's outburst was also a bit surprising. "Hey now, calm down! It is good merchandise, I suppose..." She withdrew the pair of anima tomes once again, holding them more steadily this time. "The fire tome is a fairly basic one, I believe, called Conflagrate. Intermediate level, hazardous around forests, that sort of deal. And this one is Subzero, an amazing ice spell. If it doesn't beat your opponents by itself, it slows their nerves for a bit. That should make them easy pickings! Though... I doubt that one's your type of spell right now. No offense meant by that, but it's too strong for most normal people to use. I've had it for a long time, and I let people try it before finalizing a sale on this. Nobody has been able to use it yet. Most of them look like idiots! Unless I'm really underestimating your magical talent and you're secretly archmage, of course. But, if magic is still what interests you, then maybe Conflagrate is something you'd like to make use of." She didn't seem fazed by Telmara's tail at all.

"Th-That's... H-How much? How much!? The fire tome!!" Telmara's hands started to shake, desperately reaching for her gold pouch. She only had five hundred coins worth on her-- a Conflagrate tome would be worth more than that, but maybe she could haggle, or talk to someone or, or-- something! She had to have that! Fire magic! Fire magic, and after so long! I can't let this opportunity pass! The ice magic is interesting, I've never heard of it before, but I don't care about that! I was never good with cold spells, anyway. I just...

"I-I need this. Please!" She was starting to get a bit short of breath, shaking. Her anxiety was working her up, acting out like this in front of a small crowd, but that didn't matter. She could save face later, after she'd managed to cast this. Can I even cast this? I want to, so badly, Gods, please... If I could even just, feel for a moment, that old sensation... "I-If it's too much, just... Ahhh... Geez." She started biting at her nails-- thought it didn't amount to much, as they were claws, now. At least that meant she wouldn't have to deal with broken and chipped fingertips.

Edited by Nanami Touko

"Wow, really means a lot to you, huh?" Velvet looked at the gold pouch the snake woman held, shaking her head after examining. "Sorry, but no way. I'm selling it for eight twenty-five right now, and that's already a pretty good bargain. Stock price for it at most places is about nine hundred fifty. And it costs me six hundred to get even from a supplier, so five hundred is totally out of the question! Unless you've got something more to offer, then that won't do at all. I suppose you're definitely not interested in the Subzero, then... very rare. Six thousand five hundred is pretty much a steal for this." She put the ice spell back, but kept Conflagrate in hand. "If you're really thaaaat interested in it, maybe something can be figured out... but you'll have to do better than five hundred gold."

"Y-Yes! It really, really does... Uhm..." She looked at Kolmar and Kaya, wondering what they were thinking. This is probably coming out of nowhere for him, but I'm pretty sure I mentioned fire magic to Kaya, at some point... Did I? I don't remember, whatever, I just... Oh... The vendor woman returned a price that was... Well, she didn't have it. Telmara's fervor shrunk, letting her claws drop with her mood. "I-I see... No, not... N-Not, especially interested in, uhm... That, other spell."

Not like this, there has to be someone! Ahhhh, you don't even have anything else on you to sell in exchange... Basic tome, basic weapons, basic basic basic... Ugh... She rested down on her tail and sat there, brain racing for a solution to the issue. She wouldn't dare ask anyone there, as much as she wanted to. After fighting with Kaya like that, and not knowing Kolmar at all, it would come across as more than poor to do so, in her mind.

Kaya glanced down at her tattoos as the strange woman leaned in to inspect them and ask questions. "They're magic. I actually store my excess magic within them and then can use them as triggers for two specific spells I can do. They also are a symbol of a group I represent. As for the meant to join, well that would take a bit longer to explain. Perhaps once we rest for the night?"

She would have explained more if needed, but business came first clearly as Telmara asked about the fire tome, seemingly desperate. And she was short on money. It's a leader's responsibility to take care of all the group members. Even if you're angry with hee, she should still have the equipment she needs...

"What's the best price you can offer? I'll cover whatever she can't." Kaya reached for her own purse as she asked, hoping the merchant would offer some discount.

"Wh-Wha... Kaya...?" Wasn't she still upset? Was she that quick at getting over these sorts of things? No, that... That would be far too hopeful an assumption. Why, then? She didn't get it, but she wasn't about to say no, not in the slightest! She wordlessly handed the merchant all of her gold, without any hesitation. "Th-There... All five hundred." That would mean Kaya would be paying over three hundred gold's worth... She felt her stomach knot up slightly at the thought of owing her all that gold. At the same time, having this, learning this now, practicing as soon as she could...

"Th... Thank you," she managed to squeak out, keeping her eyes trained on the tome. She wasn't brave enough to face Kaya yet.

"Magic? How interesting... I'll take your word on the rest for now, but I hope this to be the start of beneficial partnership," Velvet told Kaya, seeming pleased with the agreement that had been reached. "Well well, aren't you timely? Hmm... I'm feeling generous. As a sign of good faith for us joining up together, I'll only charge you seven fifty for it. If we all do well, then there's much more to make in the treasure hunting business than that anyway!" She counted up the coins before placing the tome in Telmara's hand. "Wonderful! That wasn't so bad, was it now? Anything else you were wondering?"

Kaya grinned. "Well, I'd offer a demonstration but one of the spells requires a bit more danger than I'm facing right now. As for the other..." She flourished with her spare hand and the golden amour appeared around her body. "Ta-da~"

Telmara seemed unsure about what was going on but a discount had been offered and that was good enough for Kaya. "Excellent! Good to see you're willing to work with us on price occasionally! As for you, Telmara, don't stress about this, ok? I'm the leader, so I need to make sure that everyone has the equipment they need as best I can. My staff is still going strong, so I can chip in where needed. Enjoy the tome."

Kolmar looked at Kaya, then Telmara, somewhat bewildered by what just happened. At least she's telling the truth about being a merchant. "I suppose I can't fault you on your choice of wares," Kolmar muttered. "Still, pity you don't have a lance," he continued. He didn't trust the vial of liquid, but everything else looked genuine at first glance. The merchant had mentioned that they'd seen the group freeze after some spell or other, yet everyone had their belongings. Either they're the most incompetent thieves ever, or a very careful bunch. Or they're telling the truth.

His gaze fell on Ulysses. "Say, kid, how much do you like cookin'?"

A-another one of us!? A beastkin! Ulysses took a moment to process the woman with a snake's tail trailing behind her. Before he could get in a word so much had already happened. "Err, wait! Miss, what's your name? I didn't think I'd meet another beastkin, much less one that's kin to snake. Demi-human, sorry. Back in the tribe that's what they called me and the people like me. They said I was closer to my predatory instinct," It was hard for him to contain his excitement. He had met so few people like him that he was ecstatic when another popped up. "Uhh, sorry. Don't mean to talk you ear off. If you wouldn't mind could we talk some? Besides you Velvet is the only other beastkin," He had started before quickly correcting himself, "-demi-human I've met. People like us...we've got to stick together you know?"

He turned to Kolmar. "Uh, I was always more of a hunter myself. Though I suppose it's never too late to learn. Plus I'd likely get first share of the food..." Ulysses was getting off track though. He needed to talk to the snake-woman he'd just met. "Later though. Just give me a holler when you get started. I'd love to try my hand at it." Ulysses hoped he would understand, but there were some things that were simply more important than others.

"D-Don't stress... How can I not? I... I'm sorry-- thank you." She was almost reluctant to take the tome, but it was handed to her whether or not she was ready to accept it. She looked between both Kaya and the merchant before slowly opening up the book. She had to balance it on one hand because her other was covering her mouth and her smile; it was the genuine article! It was newly written, some of the articulation was different, but this... This was it. I-I have to test it--

Another voice addressed her, taking her out of her moment. Beastkin? Who is-- "AHHH!!!" She yelped as she noticed Ulysses, jumping back onto her tail and collapsing, crawling away from the sight of him. "Wh-What are you!?" Despite being a freak, herself, Telmara had not gotten acquainted with the more... Extravagant demihumans in the land. Most sported fur, ears, a tail, perhaps fangs-- none of them were a shark out of water! She collected herself as best as she could, placing a hand over her chest to try and calm down her breathing. Finally, she sat up on her tail, maintaining frightened eye contact with... The man.

"Er... I... H-How...?" She didn't quite know what to say, though, despite having calmed down considerably. He was... Terrifying. Black eyes, a mouth full of teeth, grey skin... What's going on in this world?

Edited by Nanami Touko

Kolmar shook his head. "A customer's naught but a customer. Someone offerin' to join our party is just that, too. He hasn't tried to murder any of us, and the merchant he's with hasn't tried to rob us. Dunno what's up with Kaya, but if she's okay with 'em, it ain't my place to argue." Kolmar thought back to his younger days, when his mentor had chatted up demihumans with tentacles, wings, claws, fangs, tails, and other things best left on animals. "Go after the ones that the other merchants won't touch, and treat 'em well. They'll appreciate it more than most, and will be more likely to buy from you again." Weird how that lesson's actually useful.

"A journey like this isn't for the faint of heart now, is it?" Aaron reasoned, not quite sure if Raz found his outlook admirable or amusing. When she asked to see the Lionheart, he hesitated for a moment. He didn't particularly want to relinquish the fabled axe, even for a moemnt, but at the same time others being able to verify his claim was pivotal to his claim to the throne. Eventually, presented the axe to Raz carefully - although he snapped his arm back immediately as several shapes emerged from the treeline.

They didn't seem... antagonistic, although the man couldn't say he felt at ease around what was essentially a walking shark. Kaya had already hurried forwards to greet them however, mind already set on making them join the group. Joviana's comment however confused the axeman even more, and he frowned at her, not quite sure what he was missing.

"I see no reason for the mage to hold back." He couldn't understand the notion - there was nothing for him to gain by not striking them down during the battle if he was capable. This was the real world, not a children's story. "What I'm saying is that the Gift is likely to be difficult to reach, considering the length of time which it has been lost for. This means that only the strongest parties will be able to find it. Does that not make sense?" Aaron was honestly clueless as to what her beef was.

Velvet watched a bit more interaction before her quietly, mostly just amused, until Ulysses had to run his mouth, eliciting a growl. "What did I tell you about information that's not yours to share?" she spoke crossly. "I don't like to parade all my secrets around... hmf! Nothing to hide now, I suppose..."

The merchant woman unfastened her cloak, her hood dropping and revealing what she'd hidden. What had looked like gloves before was clearly fur covering her arms up slightly past her elbow. Her legs were similarly covered, seeming to cover them completely up to her forest green dress and her feet remarkably like paws. A tail twitched slowly behind her, and she scratched at one of her ears atop her head. "But... let's clarify. Even more than the you'd expect, I can act like an animal, because I'm not a demihuman, just very similar. My species is demicat- a cat turned part human, not the inverse. The Grunan region is truly unpredictable... as far as I know, there's never been another animal to demihuman transformation." She stretched her arms, sighing. "That's that, no confusion needed... maybe I'm paranoid. After all, you're obviously demihuman," she gestured to Telmara, "so I don't suppose there's a need to fear being rejected for that. Some people aren't so nice."

Never mind. There's no way in hell the kid could be a thief, if he's volunteering other people's secrets so easily. He turned to Velvet, and did his best to ignore everything but her eyes. "You still managed to close a sale, and that says more than enough about you."

Did I join up with a group of adventurers, or a circus?

Kaya turned to see the other new group member that Telmara was freaking out about and visibly paled. This was... new. Intimidating for sure. Freaky... That too. Somehow more unnerving than Telmara's tail was. She couldn't quite explain. Maybe because Telmara's face still looked mostly human as opposed to... whatever his face was supposed to be. A shark she guessed. Before she could really react, Velvet revealed that she was a demicat? That was just as new as the shark demihuman. But she had the benefit of being much less offputting. "Well, it's as you say. We have no problem with demihumans, or demicats. Your friend here is just... Startling. I can see why you hired him as a bodyguard though."

"Heh, sorry Velvet. I guess I got too excited." Ulysses scratched the back of his head as he talked. He didn't even think about Velvet's secret, and didn't mean to out her. "At least they're accepting right?" After all, they had a woman who was half-snake in their midst. They couldn't be that against beastkin, right? Well...apparently the snake could. He'd be lying if he wasn't irritated by the response he'd gotten from this new woman. Then he remembered what the druid of his tribe, Mother Dren, had told him, Life out there will be rough Ulysses. They don't take kindly to what's different to them, and you're different to most. It'll only get harder the longer you're out there, you're still growing, and your size will already scare them. Remember, you're only as big a monster as you let them make you. A snake strikes not out of anger, but fear. How apt that last bit had been. Here he was, standing in front of a snake that had snapped at him while scared. The thought made him chuckle. Oh, if you only knew how right you would be! His chuckle turned to laughter and soon he was absolutely roaring with amusement. "Same kinda freak as you miss!" He managed once he'd calmed down some. "Well, not exactly, but you get what I mean. I find a little hard to believe you just now noticed, I'm a little hard to miss!" He offered her a friendly grin, making sure not to show his teeth.

He glanced back at Kaya and said, "Eh, I think my skill with an axe was the reason she hired me. If all I was good for was spilling secrets and looking scary I wouldn't be very useful as a bodyguard!" Wait a minute...are those...the same kind of tattoos Mother Dren had? No, not quite. Mother Dren's were runes, writing in an ancient tongue, those are different. I'll have to ask her about those later.

Edited by Honey Bunny