The Golden Age. Act 1: Discoveries.

riariadne

Kolmar sighed. "This ain't the time and place to throw threats," he said, his voice surprisingly even given the situation (and his natural temperament). "But if you're gonna try to intimidate us, that means you see us as a threat, no? Might not wanna advertise that to every group you meet. You gave us some valuable info, and I don't like repayin' that with bloodshed, if you get my drift. 'sides, that axe lady lost 'cause she was too busy hatin' our group to think clearly. So stop thinkin' about everyone else that was in Vespen, and concentrate on what ya already know, 'cause you'll never solve the puzzle if you're distracted." He was far more worried about the archer's companion - his proposed solution sounded crazy, but he didn't show the same fear that she did.

Always leave the suckers alive. Who knows what else they'll spill willingly?

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaya was surprised that the other group didn't immediately attack them like the others had. That was a promising start, though the one still was not willing to be friends clearly. Still, it was a start. "Of course. No promises can be made because we all seek the same thing. But perhaps just think of it this way. Fighting us would be a waste of your time, no? I mean, also you would lose but that's hardly the point. If you promise to not fight or interfere with us, we promise the same. Instead, as you were saying, the first to the treasure wins it. The other group will not try and take it from the other and that way we can leave from tires situation peaceful. Fair?"

While Aaron was glad that things hadn't escalated into full-scale conflict so quickly, he was not particularly happy to encounter another party so soon. "Don't provoke them." he growled at Telmara, wondering if the snake woman had something against not running head-first into danger.

On the other hand, Kaya's solution was far too idealistic for his tastes. Nobody who came this far tempted by a Gift would be so easily dissuaded - he wouldn't be surprised if a fight broke out between the two parties even if one got there first. Of course, the obvious solution to that would be to simply beat the other travelers there. Their path was still clear as day.

It had been strange joining up with the group of travelers. Of course, it was a good deal in part Velvet's own suggestion, but she found it harder to adjust- interacting with people for short times was easier for her. Threats, on the other hand, were nothing new. "Oh, please... if anything, you're the ones that should be headed to the river anyway. We do outnumber you... not saying that has to mean anything, but don't expect us to run away just from a bit of banter."

It sure was easier to be confident wearing a cloak.

What's that cat doing? Keeping you safe get a lot harder once you start making trouble. If it were up to Ulysses they'd just take the man's offer to share the treasure. Although, it wasn't like the money mattered much to him, he got enough to eat from Velvet, and that's all that mattered. Still, it would appear that such peaceful solutions would be off the table. In anticipation he did a few stretches to make sure he was limbered up in case of a fight. Slowly he placed himself in between Velvet and this new group before placing a hand on his axe. I hope you're ready to run Velvet.

"Hmph. If you're not backing down from words, then you shouldn't expect that of us, either." Juniper turned her head away, impressed by neither their statements or posturing. She took her bow for a second, very clearly with no arrow but aiming it at Telmara's head, then Kolmar's, then Kaya's, before lowering it. "One clean shot would be simple enough if you get in our way. We had to deal with a few others on our way here, so don't try and leverage that either."

Isaac glared at her, hand near his own sword's handle. "What's the big deal? Just because you want to get to the treasure first doesn't mean killing everyone's the right choice! The first group attacked us first, but there's no need to pick fights with everyone."

The huntress snarled, shaking her head. "People live and die for the Gifts. There's no way we can trust them to make a fair split if it comes to it. I'm sure they wouldn't do the same for us anyway."

"I just want some money out of all this for my family," Aria spoke meekly, but the two other adventurers either didn't hear her or brushed her off. "Well... alright then..." Dejected as she was, she shuffled beneath her robes to move her contaminate tome into her hand. Hopefully I needn't use it, but...

Kolmar sighed. "Look, the guy's right. You'll probably hafta fight again in the future, so there's no point in startin' em. 'sides, you're with a group, which means you trust 'em enough to fall asleep in their company."

Yep. Scared. Let's see how much she trusts her own group.

The rest of the way to the forest was much like Raz expected. All the way, she continued to scribble down on her notes, known only to herself. She didn't have as much time to practice magic as she hoped, which was a shame. Still, it was really nice to act sort of as a guide, having a notion of the nearby region.

Of course, the chance of finding another group also in search of the Gifts on the road was always there. With how easily they butted heads against Haley, Raz was surprised they didn't meet another group in-between. This one had mixed opinions, one being surprisingly amicable, but his suggestion sounded ridiculous. You can't share a Gift like that... She gave a blank stare towards these strangers, turning into an unamused scowl as she kept her eyes on the blonde archer's physical gestures. We don't need this mess, shouldn't the forest be big enough for us to never meet? She walked towards Aria, placing a hand on the mage's shoulder. "Don't worry about it, I'm sure at the end of this we'll have the money." Raz didn't want to acknowledge the opposing group or the blonde woman's threats. Maybe they'd go away. The first to the Gift should be the one to get it, anyways.

"Tsk. Quiet, Kolmar... I'll threaten who I please. I've no time for fools like this. Their idle threats will be met with a rebuttal, and dismissed quickly after... A woman with a bow is no match for magic, in any situation." She huffed, unamused by the situation. Really, why were so many people quick to toss out threats? Sure, she had been, but only as a response! Humans were so foolish... She was beginning to be pleased about this change, being able to count herself out from the rest of her previous race. Whatever... We'll just have to show them, like the last group, if they wish to try and fight us. We're stronger than most groups; we have capable fighters, healers, and somehow three worthwhile mages. Raz will learn, as well, I'm sure...

Telmara hadn't at all stopped to think about how strong their group was, really... Doing so for but a moment truly made her realize just how tough they were. It was a good thing, perhaps. For the moment, at least.

"So... Should we get moving, then? This gift isn't going to find itself, if it's even here..." And more walking gave her time to study that book, just one more time. If combat approached, she'd have to be ready to use it. Just a bit longer... This body has to listen to my will eventually.

This encounter was at least starting better than the prior ones, a few threats thrown out, yes, but not having exploded into violence... at least not yet. Things still might end up that way, tensions had clearly flared up, but no one had fired the first shot, nor taken the first swing... hopefully things would remain that way, and the two groups could just pass each other by.

Juniper narrowed her eyes at Kolmar and Telmara, then shook her head. "I've heard enough... Let's get going, everyone. We've still got some searching to do." She beckoned at the rest of her group, eight following after her as she took a left at the entrance of the woods.

Isaac hesitated, shaking his head. "Well, I won't fight you over this, even if we do run into each other again. You all seem good enough, anyway... There's said to be a whole bunch of treasure in here, if it can be found... I doubt I have much a use for any of these Gifts, personally. Worse comes to worst, I bet you could knock some sense into most of the others. Life matters more than any treasure." He left abruptly as soon as Juniper shouted "Isaac!" from deeper in the woods.

"Well... now what?" Aria asked. She stepped towards the place where the trees parted, trying to examine what she could. "It's like a maze... I can't tell anything at all about what's the right way to go. I guess that's why it's supposed to be so hard to travel through. I wonder if anyone else would have better luck?"

Kaya frowned as the other group disappeared into the forest, fingers rapidly tapping on the head of the smaller staff at her side. Finally she spoke up. "Right, well, that didn't go as well as it could have. Still, I guess we've no choice but to move forward. They went left... and they said they had advice from locals but they also said it wasn't working very well. Should we go right then? It avoids them and hopefully prevents us from making the same mistakes they've been making. Unless, of course they've slowly been making forward progress and keeping track of what turns they've made..." Her musings trailed off as her fingers continued to drum out a rhythm. Neither path seemed better to her and her powers were of no help here. Hopefully some of the others in the group would have ideas as well.

And that would be enough of it. The lady retreated to her side of the forest, losing herself in the trees with her group. That Isaac man seemed the most willing to help their group, whatever reason he had. If it was just gold he needed, then that made the guy pretty negotiable, Raz would have to remember his face.

With that danger past them, Aria posed a fine question. "Now we have to keep going." Raz stepped forward, "We have to get there before them, after all!" She had a piece of parchment ready, eager to take the lead. "There's always a rhyme and reason to spells, even if they distort with time, right? I'm sure we'll be able to search the forest just fine." Even if they had to exhaust all their options, though Raz seemed confident it wouldn't come to that. "I think the locals wouldn't give us what we need to reach the Gift, or they would have it rather than the forest. I say we go right." Raz pointed an arm towards the side, confidence still high.

Aria looked more at the right path. To her, both paths seemed impossible to find anything particularly easy to discern from each other- and they couldn't be seen far down enough to tell which way they lead at all without beginning to traverse them. While not completely identical, they were both eerily similar paths that ventured forward into the darkness. "I can't tell at all. Are you guys sure? Maybe they were onto something at first, but then don't know the later part of the path, if they've been trying at it for hours, so left could be a good idea too... No wonder everyone calls these the lost woods. Maybe it would've been better to go to the river after all..."

Whatever that group thinks they have, it isn't as good as us. Humph. They all left, Telmara bid good riddance, and they had to make a decision... A decision on which way to go. Kaya seemed unsure, but Raz, she seemed entirely sure they should go right. But... That, made no sense to her. The right path into the woods was dark, but... The left one was as clear as day. She double took between the paths, then at Raz, then the paths again, before a slow, "uhhhhhhhh," slipped itself out.

"Raz, are you... Are you alright? The left path is obviously the right way... I can see all the way down it; it even turns down near the end, there. Why would we venture off into the darkness in some magical woods?" Was there something she was missing? She didn't get it. Maybe Raz could explain, but for now, it remained a very unfortunate mystery.

Kolmar let out an internal sigh of relief as the other group wandered off. That guy seems casual enough. Wonder how much Velvet can fleece him for? Once they were out of earshot, he turned to Telmara, and frowned. "Y'know, one day, someone's gonna call you on your words. I'd rather not kill off sources of possible information before they've spilled all that they know." He mulled over the words, before approaching Kaya. "They mentioned somethin' about the locals. How 'bout we find those locals and talk to 'em ourselves, instead of walkin' into a forest that spits us out right where we started?"

Aria's confusion was understandable, the path was nearly indiscernible for Raz herself, but the option to exhaust the choices and keep track of every result was still available in her mind. "What?" Telmara's comment surprised her, looking at the snake woman with wonder.

Raz took a step towards the demihuman, "You can tell they're different?" Her expression changed to a very excited smile, "Can you see what's at the end of each path? What if-- What if I try to light up the right path? Would it help at all?" She had to test Telmara's ability.

"I'd rather spill their insides i-if they're going to toss out threats without warning. Idiots, the lot of them..." He mentioned something about finding locals, while the other group was already on the move. They couldn't stand to waste any more time! "I-Is this a joke, or... Can you all, s-seriously not see down that way?" Was it a mage thing? A demihuman thing? No, it couldn't be mages, Raz couldn't see either... Was it demihumans then? Before she could start asking, Raz popped up beside her, giving her a small start.

"Y-Yes, I can... I'm more s-surprised that you all can't." Getting put on the spot over this was making her start to worry, and shrink as per usual, but she didn't want to just idle around here. "I... Have a better test. Y-You, Velvet, you said your name was." She turned and pointed at their new merchant friend, ushering her over with a gesture. "Can you see, as well?"

Aaron breathed a sigh of relief as Juniper's party made their exit, pleased that they'd managed to avoid such a pointless skirmish. You won't live to see your body back if you keep this up, snake... While he'd considered backing up Kolmar when he questionned Telmara's ridiculous behaviour, it seemed like she had a lead of some sort. He didn't want to waste it just because the woman couldn't control her temper.

"If that's the case, perhaps some of the villagers are demi-humans too." he mused, eyes turned to Velvet now. There was also the shark... thing, but looking at him was disconcerting. If they were to have any hope of finding the treasure, they'd be best to keep Telmara happy and healthy, much to his chagrin. Perhaps that's the greatest challenge of them all...

"Hmm?" Velvet's ears perked up a bit, having been observing quietly after her first comment. "Of course they can't see it... don't you know the stories of the woods? Long ago, a powerful nature wizard tried to cast a spell to fool thieves from hiding their treasures in Uvara Forest. But the wizard was in tune with nature, so he only cast his glamour to throw off humans. It worked for a long time, until eventually a clever rogue managed to find the riddle of the woods to always know the path using his companion dog. Now the irony is that the thieves are the ones who are uncatchable."

"What most of you are seeing is really an incredible illusion. The dead end paths... you could walk back and forth for hours, and it would look and feel like you were making progress, but in reality you could be retracing the same thirty feet of woods! Your minds deceive you. Even marking your trail wouldn't do much of anything, because it wouldn't register in your vision." She gestured towards the left pathway. "Demihumans are part animal, obviously... so they're less affected by his trick. And I, too, see through it easily. Clearly, we start by heading left."

The drumming of Kaya's fingers came to an abrupt halt and she nodded. "Right then. You three are leading us forward then." She waved at Ulysses, Velvet, and Telmara as she spoke. "Raz, I know Velvet said it might not help, but I still want you making a record of what turns we make and when. You three, if it ever becomes less obvious if we're going the right way, let us know as quickly as possible. If that happens, Raz, make a note of it on the list of turns so we know where we start to lose confidence. You all are part human after all. It would make sense if the enchantment affected you all at least somewhat."

She paused for a second, trying to think if there was anything else that needed to be said. Right. "Aria, you and I will be in the middle. Healers need to be able to reach anyone quickly. Kolmar, can you bring up the rear? Keep a close eye out for any possible ambushes. The rest of you, group up as makes the most sense. Any questions? If not, lets move ahead quickly."

Edited by scorri

Raz's face lighted up with wonder as she puzzled the pieces as quickly as Velvet explained the illusion. "So that's how it works..." She was grinning ear to ear, reveling in the realization. She sprung back to awareness as Kaya called her out. "Right! That's a sound decision!" She'd keep track of their path one way or another, and hopefully stick to the front, close to their demihumans. If they're able to see through the forest's illusion for us, then that means we'll find... It was puzzling, why wouldn't somebody already have the Gift in their possession, if the illusion was that easy to solve? Maybe the bandits have it? That would be... interesting.

"Well, there we have it." She held a hand towards the left, looking at Telmara. "You don't mind being the lead, right?"

"Ah, sure. Though I doubt anyone's gonna bother us now," Kolmar said dismissively. Huh. That's a neat trick. Even if our group looks freaky, they have their uses.

Ulysses raised an eyebrow inquisitively, sure one path was darker than the other but not by a whole lot. Not that it mattered much to him, he wanted to go down the darker path. Partially due to curiosity, partially because he was just more used to darker areas. Still he decided to just head to the front and lead with the other demi-humans. Moments like these to bond with the other demi-humans were rare. Not that that was what was mainly on his mind. "Velvet, you shouldn't be threatening people like that. I know we're part of a much larger group now, but you still aren't a fighter. What if they had attacked you before I could act? It's one thing for Telmy to puff out her chest like that, she can defend herself, but you don't even have a proper weapon for self-defense..." After saying that he wasn't quite sure if she did have anything for self-defense. He'd never personally seen her fight, and just sort of assumed she didn't know how, "...do you?"

"Don't worry. I'm a cat, after all- we always have our tricks," Velvet assured. "Self defense isn't always very obvious- to hurt me is a lot harder than it looks! Besides, she had a bow. She wasn't in a good position to attack, and if she tried sending someone else after me I'm pretty quick too. It'll take a lot worse of a situation for me to really be in trouble, and that's why I hired you and joined up with the others!" The demicat wandered up to the front of the group, taking a look past the curve in the path. "Interesting. No wonder this place is difficult for normal people- it splits off to five paths from here already. The second to the right seems the best to me..."