The Golden Age. Act 1: Discoveries.

riariadne

Before the argument could escalate any further, a mage stepped in from the crowd and, quite literally, silenced it. Oh, how curious. Is that his staff's power? Raz had a mind to stay quiet and let things develop further, watching the mage approach the group after his silencing warning. Raz took a few steps closer to the group now, intent to listen in to his words.

" I am Varann, supreme archaeologist."

Raz committed his profession to mind, staring from behind the group. Hmm, Mount Troy is an option. I see where he's coming from... She had a mind to ask his suggestions, but the snake-like lady preempted her, shifting Raz's attention for a minute. It seems she was on the verge of crying --or holding back. Raz felt pity for her at the moment, realizing how awful the experience must have become. "Hey, are you going to be fine?" She stepped closer to the demihumans, "If this is bothering you, we can leave."

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things continued to escalate, and then to calm down a bit, it seemed, as a mage, or archaeologist as he called himself, literally silenced the loudest yell in the crowd. Well, she could relax a little for now it seemed, and focus on the woman who had come up to her specifically in all this. Did she simply not care about the commotion whatsoever?

"A little busy to give the full story. Tell you what, stick around and tag along if you're interested, I'm sure I'll have time to explain later on."

Kaya relaxed somewhat as a new voice spoke up and silenced the opposition (both literally and figuratively) and nodded in thanks to Varann. She was about to respond to him when Aria grabbed her attention. Her heart melted at the request, and she quickly responded, "Of course you can come with us. And don't worry. I'm sure we'll find enough to help your family." She gently ruffled the girl's hair and then looked back up at their group. It seemed that the demihuman woman had decided to stay with them if her words to Varann were any indication. That was good. And then Mika seemed to have found someone new as well. All in all, if this... Itzal? fellow decided to join them as well as the other woman that the demihuman had been talking to (Naylen?), that would bring their group up to ten. A good group size. She nodded. Right then. "Very well. I think that should do it. Excuse me, miss, I don't think I caught your name earlier, but I take it you and your friends will be joining our group then? I'm glad to hear it. As for you, Varann, I would ask if you had any indication on what treasure was out there, as well as the question already asked of a good starting spot."

Edited by scorri

It seemed like the introductions were being postponed, with all eyes now on... Oh my. Somehow, it looked like she'd manage to conceal a massive tail beneath her cloak, but evidently not very well. Aaron watched Kolmar approach them apprehensively, unsure of what to make of the whole ordeal. He'd never seen a demi-human before, but he'd expected, well, to at least still have legs. Although he wasn't sure why.

He thought that there was going be some kind of fight before they even left the city, based on the rumble of the crowd, but the 'supreme archeologist' (a bit of a strange title) luckily diffused the situation, which was fine by Aaron. He wasn't sure of what to make of the demi-humans, but considering that there were other members of his group quickly getting involved, it was a good thing that the situation was calming down as the rejoined his new comrades

"Ten seems fine." he agreed, looking over the assembled party. They didn't look like the sturdiest bunch (with a few obvious exceptions), but he supposed that wasn't everything. They would need brains too if they wanted to be the ones to locate the gift - and then the brawns for when something inevitibly went horribly wrong.

"No, Telmara, it's not alright. If you don't stand up to them, then what's going to stop them from walking all over you?" It was, perhaps, not the best attitude to have when she was aiming for an improved form of coexistence; but at the same time, she couldn't tolerate the ignorant babble spewing from this woman's mouth. Speaking of her, she had finally decided to show herself and seemed more than ready for a fight. 'If that's what you want then let's go, so long as it shuts you up.' Naylen was ready to move as soon as Haley did, however, before it could even start she had gotten cut off mid-taunt. Thankful for the silence, and the woman's retreat, Naylen began to calm down.

The man responsible approached the group 'wait when did all these people get here' and introduced himself as Varann, an archeologist. "Thanks for handling that before it got out of control," Naylen thanked him sheepishly, knowing she had been part of the problem. At least they seemed to had found a group from the ordeal at least. "Whew... looks like it all worked out in the end," Naylen said as she turned to Telmara with a slight smile. Before she saw her tears, though it seemed someone else had seen them as well, 'must be one of our new group' Naylen could only assume their identity. "Telmara, are you okay?"

Aria smiled at last when her hair was ruffled, peeking up out of her robes. "Thank you! I'll do my best, I promise!" She straightened out her robes and staff a bit, putting the books in a bag after she'd dropped them. "I can use some dark spells, but I'm learning nature magic too. I have all my things with me, so... I can go whenever you want me to."

Varann started to speak, coughing first and clearing his throat. "I am headed back to Mount Troy. I've no details on where the treasure may truly lie, but either way, I have unfinished work there- as I said, it was where I was before. It would be a shame to miss anything by being distracted with this treasure hunt. Beware should you take to the mountains, as they can be harrowing for those who've not visited them. Mount Troy is the third highest place on Titan. Only Eaglus Point and South Peak are taller. If you have no preference, then the other two routes are likely less draining on the body." He then paused a bit to think of Kaya's question. "I think that a Gift being out there is quite likely. After all, we are near when the ages change. The world seems to magically intervene in mysterious ways, so while a Gift may seem quite unlikely from a statistical standpoint, who knows what the future has in store? Personally, I believe the claims."

"Er, I guess... I'm not really the leader, though." This guy with the lance was... Nice? It was weird. He was being incredibly polite, and she didn't really know why. If anyone had an ulterior motive, it was him. It's always the ones that are too nice. Him, Kaya... They both want something out of me, whether it's an item or something to talk about. I'll have to be careful. She sighed, turning back towards another younger looking girl that had approached her.

Shit, did she catch that? Apparently Naylen had as well, since they were both asking her about it, putting her in a rather precarious spot. "I-I'm fine, what do you want? Nnn-Nothing's bothering me..." Way to play it off... She huffed. "I... I was just, h-happy..." she mumbled, scowling at the ground and tugging at her collar, sliding her tail around behind her to form sort of a makeshift chair to sit on and lean back against. "It's been a while... Since I've traveled or spoken with, er... With people that didn't hate me. It got to me a bit. That's all." She glared between the two of them, shooing at them with her hand, admittedly blushing just a tad.

"Th-There, are you satisfied? I said it, so... J-Just go say hi to whoever the boss is and... We'll get going whenever we do." Varann, for whatever his answer was worth, was convinced that a gift was out there. When the ages change... Dragons, I've been gone far too long. I don't know nearly enough of what's going on in the world anymore. She didn't want to tie Varann up with questions, so she chose to focus on Kaya instead, waving in her direction.

"Hi, question-- T-Telmara, by the way, uh... Who's going to lead all of us?" She had a suspicion that the girl she'd just hailed was going to put herself up to the task. She had no objections to that. You used to be a teacher, you aren't anymore. Even if you've led a class before, this is different. Her tail continued to flick lazily as she waited for answers, wondering if Naylen and the small girl would actually-- oh, screw it... "You, puffy hair," she managed in the girl's direction, "what's your name?"

Edited by Narmaya

Kaya brightened at Aria's explanation of her talents. "Dark magic, interesting! I would love to talk to you about that at some point if you don't mind? I have an interest in some of the more unique abilities it has, but haven't had very much teaching in it as compared to, say, healing magic. If you don't want to, that's understandable though." She gave the girl a pat on the shoulder with a gentle smile.

The archeologist had spoken up and she nodded in response, almost as if she had been expecting that answer. "A Gift seemed the most likely to me as well. With all that has happened in the last few years, it seems clear that this new Age is one that will see great things. Likely terrible things as well, but it would be fitting that the Gifts would start to reappear in such an age. The Dragons protect their creation after all."

Turning back to Telmara, she answered the demihuman, "Ah, Telmara, thank you! I had been in charge of the group so far, yes. Assuming no one objects, I would not mind continuing in that role. I have a fair knowledge of the Gifts and the like, as well as some other training in various areas that may be helpful. Of course, if someone else wishes to be the leader, we could discuss it if nothing else. Did you have someone else in mind?" She tapped her fingers on the head of the staff at her waist, thinking the issue over. One could potentially make an argument for someone like Aaron leading the group instead, especially given she wasn't exactly a front line fighter, but she could also argue for the benefits of having a backrow fighter who could see the whole picture of the fight as opposed to just the thing in front of them. Plus, it wasn't like combat was going to be the main part of the journey anyways. She supposed if need be, she could reveal more about herself but that seemed like it would be better saved for a later date when they knew and trusted her better.

Edited by scorri

Oh. Raz didn't know how to react to Telmara's answer, looking down to the ground as she confessed her moment of flustered happiness. "Well... for what it's worth, I think you can trust our group. We're all here for the same reason, right? There's no point in starting arguments over stuff like that. I doubt that woman knows what she's talking about." She reasoned, only lifting her head to meet Telmara once asked for a name. "You can call me Raz, explorer extraordinaire! I think finding a thing or two about the gifts would be very helpful." She extended a hand to the snake-lady. "So, are we partners in this expedition?"

Aaron almost spoke up when the subject of leadership was discussed - a future king would surely be a fitting leader after all. But if the role was being defaulted to Kaya (or at least, it seemed to be going that way), he doubted he could take over without proving himself. Some called his acquisition of the Lionheart just 'good luck', so he would have to win them all over in time.

"I have no objections to Kaya." he announced. "She was the one who assembled us, so it only makes sense." He was fine with waiting for now - and if an opportunity presented itself for him to take the lead, then he would take it.

"I don't object," she mentioned offhand, "just wanted to know." Kaya seemed smart...ish. She didn't seem like an idiot. Bit obsessed with the dragons from her small interactions with her, but she wasn't braindead like that Haley was. That means something, at least. We'll see how it pans out. A few others spoke up, Kolmar and that axe fellow. None of them seemed like they had issues with Kaya leading. That left Telmara to deal with this... Raz. That's an odd name. "Hopefully..." We'll see how people really are once some of them stuff alcohol into themselves or we run into some tense situations. Ten gold bets when a few try to cut and run, I'm cut first.

"That woman was the majority opinion, Raz. You'd be hard pressed to find a group of accepting humans for people like me... Especially like me. Naylen blends in well en--" fuck she didn't mention she was a Demihuman yet what did you just do. Telmara froze and choked on her words. Change the subject, NOW. "Er, yeah, w-we're partners on this... Raz." She stuck out a hand from old instinct, recoiling after a moment. "Y-You probably don't want to touch a claw like, this..." She was red in the face again, but it was out of sheer embarrassment.

"I don't have any particular issues with Kaya." Mikhaila joined in, echoing what appeared to be the majority opinion with regards to whom should lead them. She seemed to have a solid head on her shoulders, and Mikhaila didn't have a good enough alternate candidate to bother with the associates discourse. She wondered for a moment what had the woman who had approached her grow silent, but she would reply at her own pace, and if she didn't... her loss really.

"Huh..." Raz hadn't expect Telmara to retort with the negativity she felt others had towards her. So that's how it feels to her...? It was a bit awkard -- Raz felt in no place to give her opinion. It was a really new experience to talk with a demihuman, after all. An eyebrow raised in a fraction of a section at the mention of Naylen, though Raz had nothing else to add but her continuous silence and listening.

Her eyes looked down to the scarlet hand she was almost given to shake, open and surprised. Oh. Oh that also changed huh. It was rather daunting, all things considered, like a clawed hand, all five fingers ending in pointed claws though still fairly human in shape, covered in red scales. It's like a mix of snake, dragon, and human... I wonder how she got that way? Uhh, it's probably very rude to ask... Biting her lip, Raz realized she was staring for a bit long, Telmara already having said something that flew past her mind in self-reflection, doubly red about the situation.

"N-No! No, it's fine." Raz jumped in place, extending her hand firmly. "It's not like you're going to skewer my hand or someth--Ah." Shoot, I think I shouldn't have said that... Raz stared back awkwardly, biting her lip for another fraction of second. "It's alright, take my hand, okay? We're in this together, we need to trust eachother... so it's got to start somewhere, right?"

"Sure, I can talk about it," Aria responded cheerfully. "Though, I'm not that experienced... I'll do what I can to help. And, um, I agree that you can be leader, Kaya." She shuffled around a bit in place, smiling nervously. "Um... what way do you think we should go?"

"Very interesting..." Varann noted with regards to Kaya's response. "Destiny tends to manifest itself in strange ways. I shall leave you to yourselves, then. Good luck." His words said, the archaeologist vanished back into the crowd.

Naylen was glad that Telmara's tears were due to happiness; however, she wasn't pleased by the reasoning behind it. She had forgotten that she was able to blend in better than most demihumans during her adventures outside of Grunan and as such hadn't felt the isolation that she had expected to feel. "Hey, Telmara, if you ever need or want to talk I'd be glad to listen," Naylen said, offering her fellow demihuman a small smile.

It seemed that talk of appointing a leader for their group had come up after Telmara asked who the leader was. It seemed that Kaya, the woman with the staves, was the popular choice for varying reasons between the group. Naylen had no strong feelings as to who should lead so long as they were competent, she barely knew anyone anyway, and certainly didn't want to do it herself. "I don't see any reason to change leaders if no one else does."

He was dumbfounded the entire time. Everything happened way too fast for him not to feel... concerned? Suspicious, maybe, but that was not quite the word he was looking for. Merely it was that one minute he was having an episode, and he turned his outburst towards the crowd; and the next the crowd was silenced by... what, magic? He had really not seen so many different types of sorcery all bunched up in one place before. It made him nervous, like someone might say the wrong word or tap the wrong book, and suddenly random people in the town would spontaneously combust. He at least knew now that he definitely would not be going this journey alone. Though there seemed more to it than that, after he turned back to the women he greeted, and then to the others that had approached them. Were they truly establishing a group... here? Would this be his chance?

Their words seemed to pass right over his head. "Hey, uh..." He spoke. "I apologize for... that." He was mainly speaking to the two demihumans before the rest of the group. "I am not really that frightened, nor... worried. I merely never thought I would ever see a demihuman in my life. I actually didn't think they existed. I suppose I still have a lot to learn." It was true he still might have been a tad bit sheltered--he'd never admit that, not to himself nor to others. "I... anyhow, everyone, uh... my name is Itzal. I wanted to start a new life for myself, and I thought this might be my biggest chance for that."

"Not going to skewer your hand, huh...?" A wry smile slid onto her face, as she apprehensively and gently took Raz's hand in a small shake. The scales were incredibly smooth to the touch, and dry; an odd sensation, surely. It was a small gesture, but it pleased Telmara greatly, to shake hands with someone that wasn't terrified or her, nor just another demihuman. "I guess there's still hope for me," she mumbled, sighing. "It has to... Start somewhere," she said louder, letting Raz go and leaning back against her tail. "If I can get all of you to stand me, then maybe... The next time I stroll into a town, I won't get pelted with rocks or insults... That'd be swell." There was a sarcasm about what she said, but a small smile on her face. Thanks, Raz... For either being too naive to understand why I am hated, or not caring at all. Either way. Maybe you'll work out.

In proper Telmara fashion, she doubled back once Naylen spoke up. "Of course, Naylen. You're the only person I can trust here, above everyone else. No offense Raz, but... It'll take some time. We'll see if no one's tried to kill me in my sleep in a week's time. Maybe then I can start trusting humans, again." She shrugged, smiling and shaking her head some. It was only natural! That's just how it is... Raz, you're a nice girl, but niceties don't equal trust, especially not immediately. I'm still half expecting someone to try and stab me or prod me or do something unpleasant to me just because they're curious.

The man who'd been freaking out has stopped a few moments ago, finally getting around to apologizing. Telmara nodded, not bothering to stay upset about it. "It's fine. I'm not the standard... Most of us are just, ears and... Maybe a tail. I guess I'm a... A mistake, in that case." It was sickening to think of, but whatever force played at changing people in Grunan, maybe it had simply made a mistake with her... A big mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. "So... Don't worry about it, Itzal... We can, uh... W-Work together, right?" It had worked with Raz, and the feeling had brought such elation. She slowly extended her hand in his direction, on purpose instead of impulse, worry evident on her face. "P-Part, ners?" she cautiously asked, trying to smile.

"A-Ah..." Raz did her best not to show some fear as Telmara shook her hand, holding her expression as much as she could. Despite her own words, the visage of a crimson, scaly hand coming to shake hers imprinted an image of Raz's arm being pulled and ripped from her body with tremendous force. She took a silent breath. Bad thought, bad thought... She returned the gentle shake, pressing a thumb against the back of Telmara's hand, feeling some more of the scales. All things considered, the texture wasn't unpleasant!

Raz let go of the hand shake as Telmara did, staring with some confusion at her following words. "Uh... oh yeah, they'll probably not change their opinion of you that easy..." She scratched her cheek. "Well, you're part of the group, so you can count on us, at least!" Raz raised her arm in assurance, balling a fist. It was a silver lining, but maybe that was enough for now. After that, Raz stood silently, listening to Telmara's conversation with the previously agitated man.

"It's fine. I'm not the standard... Most of us are just, ears and... Maybe a tail. I guess I'm a... A mistake, in that case."

Raz's eyes shifted to Naylen, observing the woman from the side. Raz made a mental note to learn more about demihumans, if possible. Speaking of, it seemed that they were deciding on a leader, based on what Naylen had just said. Raz turned her attention to the larger group.

"Oh, Kaya, you're volunteering to being the leader?" Raz spoke up, "Well, I guess that makes sense, you were the one that reached out to me, so I have no complaints." She nodded agreeably, "Do you have a destination in mind for us to search at? That man spoke of Mount Troy, which makes sense, well..." Raz stopped a moment to consider any other options, "I've heard of people preparing to look by the Vrain River. Though, in my opinion... if we really want to have a chance at finding something, the enchanted woods would be our best bet." Raz adjusted her gear idly, expression brightening up at the prospect.

"It's a maze alright, but it is possible to traverse it." She claimed boldly, "I think if an artifact so important was hidden somewhere, it'd be there. "

Kaya relaxed as no one spoke up against her claim to leadership. It was good that she didn't need to reveal everything about herself just yet. For one thing, with the crowd still being present, it wasn't exactly something she wanted to bring up publicly. Plus she wanted to get a sense for the group before she revealed all of that. Raz asked an excellent question that paired well with what Aria was asking. She considered the question for a few seconds, before nodding. "Right then. I agree with Raz. The forest seems like a good potential location for a treasure and it seems likely that fewer people will brave it, given the dangers it presents. Unless someone has a strong and reasonable objection to it, that is where we will go."

Kolmar arched an eyebrow at Telmara's words, but said nothing. When Kaya proposed the forest, he shrugged. "Eh. Not that there's any other really solid leads. 'sides, it's easier to talk with less people around." Now that he'd thrown his lot in with this rabble (sheesh, the last time I was surrounded by this many women was in a whorehouse), he wanted time to observe them all - how they interacted with each other, himself, and the environment. They'd do as a group, for now - no apparent cowards or cutthroats was a good start.

Joviana pondered over the offer that the masked girl had made to her- it was better to join some group than chase fr the gifts alone, although she was a little frustrated that the masked girl only wanted to answer question if she joined the group. It didn't matter, though- it seemed that everyone present at that moment was in an awkward position themselves, somehow ending up in the same group under weird circumstances. She looked at the other members of the group- the girl wielding a staff was going to be their leader. The demihumans did not bother, as she had seen a few of them back at Grunan, and people like the masked girl seemed interesting. If anyone would get on her nerves, it would be that Aaron guy.

She only spoke up when the point of discussion was the location of the treasure. "I agree, the woods would be our best bet. Besides, going in a direction opposite to that of almost everyone else allows us to learn clues that the others wouldn't learn."

Itzal couldn't help but chuckle... just a little. "Well... I wouldn't have known in the first place anyway, considering I've never seen one of your kind before." He looked at her again--she really had seemed so frightened. Genuinely. As a soldier he'd seen a lot of people fake it before. "So if I've got nothing to compare you to, I couldn't say whether you were a mistake or not." He pondered that. "Regardless... wanting to run away from what you are--or feeling you have to--is not something I'm... unfamiliar with, I suppose you might say." He glanced to the side at that, toward the ground. He'd never felt guilt about turning against the knights until now. He pushed the thought away and he offered his hand in response to hers. "Yes... partners." He'd said it in such an affirmed way as he shook her hand, a way probably she wouldn't have expected; he truly was trying to make sure his assertiveness would not frighten her. He purposely left some of his hair wild in his face for that.

Were they all really grouping up here? Confused at how fast everything seemed to develop, he found it difficult to approach the others. They'd all seemed to just... coagulate. And they were talking so much. He could slide his way into cover or between two assailants; but could he slide his way into an opening in a conversation... well... one at a time. One at a time right now.

Raz is definitely interseting. That was all Telmara had left to think as she waited for Itzal to reject her claw and-- "Huh?!" she squeaked, as his hand met her, a very affirmative shake, far more than what she was expecting. She shrunk, blushed, and stared back at him through his assertiveness before nodding and gently squeezing back. "Er, uh... Thank you for being so considerate." Raz has been embarrassed and shy, but this Itzal was being calm and assertive, like this was something he was one hundred percent okay with. It was a bit scary, to be honest, how quickly he had recovered from his freakout and become calm.

"Partners, and all that..." She quickly retreated her hand once he'd let go, shrinking and flopping back against her tail, staring at the ground and running a finger through her hair. Some would consider this a girlish reaction to someone they were attracted to, and perhaps there was a faint hint of that there, but she was mostly... Incredibly embarrassed, to have put herself out there like that, and received the exact opposite of what her expectations had been. I should temper these better, but really, this is nothing like I was expecting... To find a group, and then find people willing to speak to me, positively, shake my disgusting hands, smile, chuckle... This is mind blowing. I'm going to need some time for this...

And then best way to get her mind away from that was to focus on something else, which seemed to be where people wanted to go. "I'm... F-Fine with the forest, too," she spoke up, trying to be louder, wondering if her opinion mattered to everyone.

"I suppose that settles us on the forest then. If few are going there, it also lessens the chance of a large conflict breaking out." Mikhaila pondered to herself as their course and leadership seemed to be stable, at least for the time being. This certainly was an interesting bunch, to say the least... if they were anywhere near as effectual as diverse, then they should look forward to smooth sailing...