Best and Worst Ace Attorney Case ever made

Ace Pelleas

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually just watched a walk through of the SoJ.

I have to say that I actually preferred the Khura'in cases more than the Japanifonica (or wtf it is) cases, but overall, I enjoyed what I saw of the game. I'm not too fond of the defense hate—but I find it funny that when I felt Klavier was "too nice" to Apollo in AA4, I absolutely hated him for it for some reason. I must be used to being abused by the prosecution. I also was kind of annoyed that

Maya got kidnapped again. Like, FFS, can we stop making Maya the sole reason Phoenix has to lose a case? Please? We finally get a master vs. student showdown and they make it to where Phoenix is once again pushed into a corner because of Maya.

They got this dude like Madara—they have to incapacitate him with some ole bullshit because they accidentally made him too stronk for this world.

On a side note, I absolutely love the Confess the Truth (2016) for some reason.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Okay, just going to say this: in case 3, Ohoenix tells Princess Rayfa that in his country, the defendant is innocent until proven guilty. I honestly don't know what series he's been playing.

I mean, I guess technically they are but prosecutors put together such stacked cases that despite having access to lawyers, the defendants also lose?

But yeah I had a guffaw about that too. At least in Japanifornia, the death sentence isn't trotted out every time.

[spoiler=AA6 case 5]Not only does Maya get kidnapped, she escapes her kidnapper only to head back despite knowing Inga knowing Dhurke is mortally wounded and that Maya took off. So why did Inga think he was going to get the Founder's orb from the crew if he had no more hostage? It was pretty dumb. The story made a lot more sense up until we find out Maya managed to leave.

I have to say that I actually preferred the Khura'in cases more than the Japanifonica (or wtf it is) cases, but overall, I enjoyed what I saw of the game. I'm not too fond of the defense hate—but I find it funny that when I felt Klavier was "too nice" to Apollo in AA4, I absolutely hated him for it for some reason. I must be used to being abused by the prosecution. I also was kind of annoyed that

Maya got kidnapped again. Like, FFS, can we stop making Maya the sole reason Phoenix has to lose a case? Please? We finally get a master vs. student showdown and they make to where Phoenix is once again pushed into a corner because of Maya.

They got this dude like Madara—they have to incapacitate him with some ole bullshit because they accidentally made him too stronk for this world.

To be fair, Maya's kidnapping in this game made sense.

Her channeling powers were quite important for some plot elements.

Anyway, I must say, I really liked SoJ.

The writting definitively improved. And the twists in this game are very good. There are a lot, A LOT, of WTF moments in this game. And they are done rather well. It's also quite hard, much, much harder that DD.

Like many others, I really liked 6-2 and 6-3.

The way the game plays with red herrings in 6-3 is very clever in my opinion.

Dhurke's death is also done very well. Especially since they actually give the player time to know Dhurke and to establishe his relationship with Apollo as well, so when you find out that he's dead, it actually makes for a very emotional moment without feeling forced.

Apollo staying in Khura'in made me rather sad, even if it made sense.

But Apollo does say that he doesn't intend to stay in Khura'in for good, so I think he will return to work at thte Wright Anythting Agency. I think Apollo plans to stay in Khura'in for a year or two before returning home.

Besides, Apollo's story is far from over.

Maya got kidnapped again. Like, FFS, can we stop making Maya the sole reason Phoenix has to lose a case? Please? We finally get a master vs. student showdown and they make it to where Phoenix is once again pushed into a corner because of Maya.

Agreed! While some people hate it, I also love the Pursuit themes and pretty much every song!

Speaking of Rayfa, it's kinda interesting and funny,

That when she acts as Phoenix's assistant, she's surprisingly cooperative.

You would think that with the way Rayfa is constantly insulting Phoenix and how she says how much she distrust lawyers, Rayfa would refuse to help Phoenix.

And yet, she, as I said before, is actually very cooperative. When there's a text that needs translating, Rayfa always translate to Phoenix, and if there's something about Khura'in that Phoenix doesn't understand, she always explains it cleary to him. Granted she still insults him all the time, but she's rarely unhelpful.

Case 6-3 made me like Rayfa a lot more.

You would think that with the way Rayfa is constantly insulting Phoenix and how she says how much she distrust lawyers, Rayfa would refuse to help Phoenix.

And yet, she, as I said before, is actually very cooperative. When there's a text that needs translating, Rayfa always translate to Phoenix, and if there's something about Khura'in that Phoenix doesn't understand, she always explains it cleary to him. Granted she still insults him all the time, but she's rarely unhelpful.

Yeah, she actually isn't that bad as I initially thought. Especially when she actually had a reason for acting and think the way that she does. I actually found her to be quite cute at times.

The prosecutor... I'm not sure about him yet. I like his design and I like his cornered/breakdown animations, though. Seeing it makes me laugh every time.

I liked when they had her actually legitimately be benevolent and just hate defense attorneys. I've always quite liked the deconstruction of the Royal Brat trope where they're genuinely good and competant, they're just spoiled in person. Then again, I'm extremely biased towards royalty, in case you couldn't tell.

Glad to hear people are liking AA6. Bought it earlier today and about to start it!

Maybe Layton actually dies in the game, or something? Maya survives, as Darklaw rigged the execution thing to let the actual witches survive so that she can recruit them for her revenge plot. Maya escapes being recruited, finds Phoenix and Luke and then she ends up chanelling Layton on and off for the rest of the game?
The other thing that they could do would be that they make the fantasy elements a lot more grounded, so that fits in with the dynamic of both series?

More grounded fantasy elements would be my solution. Remove the more out there magical things, and do more stuff that could be done with trickery that's more in line with what the series have done before.

Layton dying would be interesting, but I can imagine the outrage among the fandom. Also the continuity issue, as canonically Layton should be alive anyways. Of course it's very debatable how canon that game can be considered for either series (I don't think it clashes with either canon though?)

I think 6-4 is the best case in the game, maybe even one of the best in the series. It reminds me of Turnabout Big Top, a favorite of mine, and it focuses on Athena and Blackquill, my favorite characters. Geiru and Uendo were also richly entertaining, and I liked that it didn't drag. A bit sad that it was small though.

I haven't been able to get Spirit of Justice yet because of money issues and I've trying to avoid spoilers, but I do want to know something, please tell me there aren't typos. That was inexcusable in DD.

There was one homonym issue I noticed once (wear instead of ware) but the number of typos seems way down from DD. Nearly every text heavy game has a text error somewhere. I would say the errors here are probably par with the original trilogy.

Okay, just going to say this: in case 3, Ohoenix tells Princess Rayfa that in his country, the defendant is innocent until proven guilty. I honestly don't know what series he's been playing.

Clearly he is having issues of disfunctional personality by thinking he's from Japan and then thinking he's from the USA at the same time

being locked in a paradox does this to people I guess

May I recommend at least watching the first case on YouTube? Seriously, that case is absolutely amazing.

Late, but I will probably look into it more, I just find it questionable how Phoenix got hamfisted into a game trying to introduce a new MC. Maybe i'm weird haha.

Best: Farewell, My Turnabout. Dealing with morality issues in this case was pretty awesome. Bridge to the Turnabout was good but IMO its at its best if you play the the trilogy in order. I think the only other final case which works well without having to play other games is... *gasp* 6-5... oh and 1-4. Both are rollercoasters haha.

Other good, non final cases up there are 3-2, 4-1, 6-3 and AAI2-3.

Worst: Either 2-1 or 4-3. Didn't like the amnesiac plot in 2-1, while the premise for 4-3 was terrible.

Oh yeah, and I finished watching an LP on AA6:

Its one of the stronger entries in the series. Its cases are consistent in quality and the story is woven well, although the pacing is bad. It doesn't have as many emotional moments as, say, the first game but its emotional moments are just as good. Definitely a step up from DD. The third and final case are its best cases, I'd say.

I will say this much: Rayfa's VA doesn't sound li,e a 14 year old girl. They chose just about the most generic voice they could find, unfortunately.

I didn't mind her voice sounding older, mostly because we only hear during her prayer, and it makes sense for Rayfa to be using a more serious voice.

Did you finish Case 3? If so what did you think it?

Actually, for all of those that played SoJ, what were your opinions on Cases 2 and 3?

Personally, I think they were some of the best in the series.

I said this before, but I love how Case 3 uses red herrings. And the case gets especially good when Maya channels the High Priest.

This case really toys with player's preconceptions.

For the longest time, I though the wife was going to be a crazy religious zealot.

It's also one of those cases were I didn't feel proud when the murderer gets revealed.

Edited by Water Mage

I said this before, but I love how Case 3 uses red herrings. And the case gets especially good when Maya channels the High Priest.

This case really toys with player's preconceptions.

For the longest time, I though the wife was going to be a crazy religious zealot.

It's also one of those cases were I didn't feel proud when the murderer gets revealed.

Case 3 is actually my favorite case. It was really good.

I honestly had my suspicions about the wife, but the way they spun the case was extremely satisfying and a bit touching when you reach the very end of it. I teared up a little bit.

Currently, I'm watching the last bit of the game on YT. I'm on Case 5, where Ga'ran has shed her queenly garbs and transformed into female Nascour from Pokemon Colosseum. I'm slightly upset about the bomb Dhurke dropped, but I really want to know more about Apollo's dad.

Other good, non final cases up there are 3-2, 4-1, 6-3 and AAI2-3.

Worst: Either 2-1 or 4-3. Didn't like the amnesiac plot in 2-1, while the premise for 4-3 was terrible.

Glad to see people talking about AAI2.

[spoiler=AAI2-3 and AAI2-4]The Inherited Turnabout was insanely good,seeing a case last many years was interesting and we saw character development on Uncle Ray,also Gregory was pretty good,maybe the best defense attorney in the series(as experience).

The First case of JfA was bad,really bad. But they showed us a good amnesia plot in the fourth case at least.

Edited by Ace Pelleas

I have not yet finished Case 3, but I do like it so far. Rayfa's funny, and it feels good to have Maya back at the defense bench. I will be dissapointed if Inga is the main villain; he's just so obvious.

Case 2 was good. It had more character development for Trucy, and I especially liked the plot twist.

Roger Retinz being so obviously the killer made me let my guard down, so the twist that he was Mr. Reus legitimately caught me off guard. It was a clever use of a red herring.

Edited by blah the Prussian

I have not yet finished Case 3, but I do like it so far. Rayfa's funny, and it feels good to have Maya back at the defense bench. I will be dissapointed if Inga is the main villain; he's just so obvious.

Case 2 was good. It had more character development for Trucy, and I especially liked the plot twist.

Roger Retinz being so obviously the killer made me let my guard down, so the twist that he was Mr. Reus legitimately caught me off guard. It was a clever use of a red herring.

I'm finishing case 2 but I know the twist already so

I wouldn't figure out that he is Mr. Reus if it weren't for the obvious hint when he made the camera disappear and his vendetta with the Gramaryes. The writers shouldn't have done that if they wanted the plot twist to have a bigger impact, or they should've done something more subtle instead.

Still, I like it. I didn't think there'd be two Bonnys (the twins reference during the fingerprint analysis was very subtle) and the personal side of the case was well written.

I'm also glad I didn't have to show how the magic tricks worked like in AJ-3. The case was simple, straight to the point and enjoyable.

Also, I'm not really liking Sahdmadhi. There's nothing wrong with his writting, but I can't help but utterly dislike and despise arrogant, higher-than-thou moralists.