Best and Worst Ace Attorney Case ever made

Ace Pelleas

One thing I do like about case 4 is that I think Valant Gramarye is pretty cool.

Funny,Terry Fawles death was a really high point in the franchise,also why I think Bridge to the Turnabout failed to nvolve me emotionally was because the way the body used to cross the bridge was really strange and I became lost until the case ending. But that last Objection was epic. It involved10 the sense of hype,but we have seen it more times.That's why I prefer 2-4,3-4 and AAI2-3 over it,because they expressed another meaning to the word emotional moment. But it was a pretty good case.Definitely in my top 10

I was also saying it was a high point. I mean it was "awful" in that it was really sad. I don't mean that it was poorly done.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite cases are 1-4, 2-4 and 4-1 for very different reasons. 1-4 has the most satisfying conclusion in the series, 2-4 has the most intense writing I've ever seen in a video game, and I don't think any game has made me feel as involved and genuinely feel "threatened" by what's going on, and 4-1 is just so brilliantly written that it makes me wonder just how good Apollo Justice could've been without executive meddling.

I mean, was Executive Meddling responsible for that awful 4-2 and 4-3? If you're just complaining about Wright being a big part of the story, then I don't see how it'd fix the rest of the game where he stays mostly on the shadows (but this is a problem since the player keeps wondering about him, shading Apollo completely). Honestly, I think it'd been better if AJ took place on the same universe, but in different places, like CSI Miami and CSI New York, with both protagonists being fairly independent of each other (like the mainstream AA series, AAI and DGS), but this alone wouldn't solve the problems with the game at all.

About said cases, here is why they're horrible, imo:

well, tbh I have little to say about 4-2. I don't remember it that much, except that it was boring.

But 4-3 had the most bullshit that I've seen in the series up to date. The prosecution accusing a kid of using a gun that only well trained and well built professionals can to kill someone almost triple their size? That's bullshit, and they merely handwave this when the defense asked this question. Lamiroir opting to lying in court instead of saying the truth that would help the defendant be set free, despite all of Apollo's attempts to convince her to speak the truth? That's bullshit. Trucy refusing to tell Apollo how the magic show worked despite it being on her best interest to help him proceed with the case? That's bullshit. The defendant refusing to tell the truth to Apollo, that he was being blackmailed, in fear of death on his home country, when he'd receive a similar punishment on Japanifornia anyway? That's bullshit.

Also, it drags a lot. I had nightmares with how many times I had to play Klavier's song to get it right, and with the part where I had to show how the magic trick worked. I had many issues with the Perceiving gimmick because you have to guess where you should be looking. By far, I think it's the worst I've seen in the series.

Also, someone who appreciates Kristoph Gavin! Godot is still top tier to me, but he's in the third position (Edgey takes the second spot) on my rank.

he was the kira yoshikage of aa

As for the absurd leaps in logic, when Phoenix says The Phantom jumped from the moving platform onto the main structure, neither Apollo or Edgeworth ask for proof of this - Edgeworth, instead, states that "he wouldn't have been able to because normal human beings feel fear". That's not even standard "I can't follow this logic", it's just "the writers needed Edgeworth to say this to move the plot forward". Furthermore, when Apollo blindly accepts that as truth, his supposed character development comes to an abrupt halt. It's just a poorly structured case with writing that seems to indicate they were running out of time, or had written themselves into a corner.

I don't remember it very well, but iirc they didn't just accept that argument, they also demanded proof from Wright, and he proved his theory by pointing evidence on The Phantom's shoes that indicates he landed on the ground around the whatever-building-it-is. Its been a long time since I've played it and I've lost my copy (which I don't really miss, tbh), so I can't verify.

Edited by Rapier

[spoiler=MAJOR AA6 spoilas]Honestly, AA6 is so far the game I have been by far the most mixed on in the AA series. I called bullshit on the entirety of case 1 initially just because of timing issues and the stupidity of the DCA. While the stupidity of the latter IS a plot point so I can overlook it, the game has yet explains how any country could possibly justify exclusively using something PROVEN ineffective for judging criminal cases, and I timed it, the implementation of the DCA and this water plot device as absolute occur AFTER DL-6. It's amazing how if the assassination of the queen occurred 30 years ago instead of 20, this wouldn't be an issue for me, but the 23 year claim causes this all to fall apart for me. Granted, I'm on Case 5 now, so a good deal may yet to be revealed, but considering how blatant filler Case 4 was, I'm not holding my breath. This is coming from a guy who LIKED DD by the way, but my opinion on AA6 so far is mixed. I love the presentation and I've enjoyed all of the Japanifornia cases, but 6-1 and 6-3 both left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm definitely enjoying myself, but I'm having less fun here than I have with every other AA to this point

As for AA6, I've just finished the first case. My non-spoilerly impressions about it are that it... dragged a lot on the whole introduction about the new law system Wright was going to face, as well as the Priestess' gimmick, but the case itself felt shallow, boring, long and predictable. It was like starting right at case 3 of traditional AA games.

I mean, there was hippie Jesus / Banjeesus (I think he's holding a banjoo but I could be dumb) and he made my day, and I rather like Rayfa, but that's it. Can we have hobo Phoenix back? He was way smarter and mature than any other lawyer in the series, but then he was downgraded when the writting changed hands.

Edited by Rapier

(Still haven't beat DD yet, mostly there though!)

Best: Hard choice, but...3-5.

The game sets everything up and by the last case, there is just this satisfaction at the end of it all!

(Shout out to case 3-3 and 4-4)

Worst: hhhmmm...Gonna add another vote towards Big Top!

A case that is Good and Bad is case 4-3.

[spoiler=Case 4-3 Spoilers]

Liked some stuff (adding to the overall plot), baffled by others. ESPECIALLY the issue with THE FREAKIN' GUN!!! How can a gun be used by a grown man and can still dislocate his shoulder, which happens, but yet you still say the small child shot the freakin' gun and is ok?! The main issue being that it's a flimsy excuse to blame the kid and it's the main charge FOR THE WHOLE DANG CASE!!! WHAT THE ACTUAL FUDGE?! Just...just...how?! And that also includes that they NEVER bring up fingerprints the whole dang case, which was weird when I first played it because that's what they normally do or at least bring mention to it!

If it was a normal gun, a gun that anyone could use, a lot of my issues with this case would be subsided. HOW the writers thought this was ok baffles me greatly! What were they thinking?! It's the only case in the series to not make sense in a normal mindset and makes everyone involved look like a enormous idiot!

I still like AA4, but dang it......it hit quite a snag on that case (to put it lightly...)!

I may come back and add more once I get father in DD (but I'm already getting worried from what I'm hearing though......subplots, huh...oh well...)!

:Joshua:

Edited by Busterman64

I was going to get AA6... But now I'm a bit scared lol. Will get it eventually, but not in such a hurry now I suppose.

I do know that it's a typical explanation of the Layton series. I have played all of them bar the Azran Legacy. (Even the spin off starring Layton's son.)
... The explanation still sucks though.

Oh yes, definitely.

All I'm saying is that with Layton involved, something incredibly silly being the explanation was expected.

I was going to get AA6... But now I'm a bit scared lol. Will get it eventually, but not in such a hurry now I suppose.

Oh yes, definitely.

All I'm saying is that with Layton involved, something incredibly silly being the explanation was expected.

But the explanation was ridiculous, even more so than the main games. Couldn't we have had an Ace Attorney explanation instead? That means that the final confrontation with you-know-who would have been so epic.

I just finished Case 3 in Spirit of Justice.

6-1 was above par by first case standards.

6-2 was very good. My complaints about it are really minor.

6-3 would be my favorite case in the entire series if it wasn't for the fact 2-4 exists.

Likely Unpopular Opinion: Spirit of Justice is the best game in the series.

6-1 is by far the best tutorial case, with the exception of 4-1. I like how the tutorials are shown through explaining to people that legitimately have no idea how they work (example being the Khura'in Judge asking how to do a Cross Examination because he's never seen one in however long the DCA has been in place). This is supposed to be a tutorial case; it's not supposed to blow your mind. It's intentionally built to be slow enough for you to process how to work with all of the mechanics. Also, the villain is top notch.

6-2 is even better through it's focus on character relationships (which is, by far, the biggest strength of this game). It's easy to predict, but it doesn't change the fact that it's still very enjoyable. I loved how it expanded on a plotline from Apollo Justice too. The villain is good too. You have a pretty good idea of who he is, but it doesn't change the fact that he's incredibly satisfying to take down.

6-3 is incredible, yet isn't even close to being the best case in the game. Yes, it revisits the repetitive Maya stuff but it handles it in a different way and you really begin to see why the DCA is such a problem. No one in Khura'in realized that it was problematic because of how corrupt the regime was, which makes sense with why no one bothered to challenge it. It felt a lot like 1-5, which is one of my favorite cases, so I loved this one too. The ending is so tragic that it puts Godot to shame.

6-4 is the weakest case and tbh it's obviously filler. This I won't deny. However, as the weakest case, I don't consider it comparable to something like 2-3, 3-3 or 4-3 (the almost universally hated cases). It's really just a weird case that unfortunately has to deal with a massive culture gap, though I do think the localization did a good job explaining the Japanese origins of the case.

6-5 may very well be the best case in the series, and this comes from someone who has total praise for 1-4, 1-5, 2-4 and 3-5. This case draws on so many aspects of the best Ace Attorney cases and what makes those cases the best. The result is something totally special and an absolute treat to play through. The villain is fantastic; I haven't felt so intimidated by a villain since Damon Gant.

Best is really difficult for me as there are a lot of fun cases as well as fun stories. I guess for now, I'd have to say my favorite is 2-4. It causes Wright to rethink why he became a lawyer in the first place and it also has the added benefit of being a pretty decent length case without going overboard with it.

Worst: Honestly, I remember 4-3 in Apollo Justice being a bit of a slog.

So, I'm midway through 6-2, and its kickass. More development for the characters, some seriously funny characters, and I quite like Sahmadi. So far this game has pleasantly surprised me.

Sadmadhi only gets better. He's really cool in case 4.

"What's crackin' my homie?"

If you liked Godot and/or Franziska, you're going to like Nahyuta.

But the explanation was ridiculous, even more so than the main games. Couldn't we have had an Ace Attorney explanation instead? That means that the final confrontation with you-know-who would have been so epic.

I honestly can't see what an Ace Attorney explanation would have been to that though. (Unless it was something to do with spirit channeling which... Wouldn't have been much better to be honest)

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved for the explanation to be better. I just didn't have very high expectations and expected Layton-style explanation from the start so I ended up not being that dissapointed.

If you liked Godot and/or Franziska, you're going to like Nahyuta.

Guess that I won't like him that much... Doing a small tier,from best to worst prosecutor(main rival) Miles > Debeste = Klavier > Lang > Franziska = Godot >> Courtney

I played only the DS games including AAI2. Here are some comments about this tier

Miles - Guess that I don't have to explain anything

Debeste - good character development

Klavier - That one is odd, he lacks character development ( That's True),but he is actually the best prosecutor around. Most prosectors are trying to fuck ruin your life,but in case two he actually helps you(he doesn't solve the case,he just point important things and ask you to prove things that he hasn't solved or just wanted to see if you are good enough).Case 3 it was expected to see him like it and 4 I don't remember a thing from the fist part. But he asked that last piece of evidence as a last act of honor to somebody he respected. He could have been way better if they showed his relationship with Kristoph or anything else. Also he has the best desk slam ever.

Lang - Lacks character development,but is pretty badass

Fraziskza and Godot - Both are good,but do not stand out

Courtney- AAI2 has two rivals,from case 2 to 4 she was annoying as hell. The only character development she gets is O,k,but she was a pain from more than half of the game.

I honestly can't see what an Ace Attorney explanation would have been to that though. (Unless it was something to do with spirit channeling which... Wouldn't have been much better to be honest)

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved for the explanation to be better. I just didn't have very high expectations and expected Layton-style explanation from the start so I ended up not being that dissapointed.

Maybe:

Make the magic real. Espella could actually be the great witch Bezelle, but she isn't actually evil. The destruction of the town 8(?) years prior could be due to accidental magic from Espella. Darklaw could have actually murdered Espella's dad, and her motive would have been to frame Espella and get her punished for the death of someone she cared about? Tbh, I haven't thought it through much yet, plus I'd need to explain how Maya and Layton survived, but it could be a better explanation that what we got?

Best is really difficult for me as there are a lot of fun cases as well as fun stories. I guess for now, I'd have to say my favorite is 2-4. It causes Wright to rethink why he became a lawyer in the first place and it also has the added benefit of being a pretty decent length case without going overboard with it.

Worst: Honestly, I remember 4-3 in Apollo Justice being a bit of a slog.

Oh, really? I like 4-3 a lot more than 4-2. Maybe because I'm totally guilty of being in love with guilty lovers.

I like 4-3 a lot more than 4-2. Maybe because I'm totally guilty of being in love with guilty lovers.

I prefer 4-2 over 4-3,not because the logic gaps.But because 4-2 was the first case that I handled alone(without a guide in court).But Investigations I tend to look what to do after getting confused.

Okay, I finally wrapped up the entirety of AA6 so...

SO MANY SPOILERS HERE. AND I'M TALKING THE ENTIRE GAME.

[spoiler=You've been warned.]

Case 1: The setup. Now, for a first case this actually runs pretty long though there's not much interactivity on the part of the player. Mandatory tutorial case, except this time Phoenix has to show a foreign courtroom how to function like a courtroom back home. Once this case finally gets to the meat of the matter, it has a spectacular villain in place. I prefer AA4's opening case still since Kristophe Gavin is my favourite scumbag still, but still not too bad. Just slow. There's a lot of setup to convey in these opening hours.

Case 2: Back home in Japamerica. First case with Apollo. Really spectacular murder and unique setup with a lot of intensity and emotions running high. Here we see the theme on display for the rest of the game, namely in family legacies. I really liked this case and it stands far above most 2nd cases, which tend to be the "thematically linked but uninteresting content" since AA2.

Case 3: Returning to Phoenix in Khura'in. When I said I didn't particularly like the Khura'in mysticism cases, I think this case broke my hard shell towards this game. Compared to case 1, the tragedy that is the DCA is really on display here and sells the peril of the accused even after you declare your client innocent. Also, Maya's spirit channeling as someone other than Mia or Iris is simply a sight to behold.

Case 4: Obvious filler. This is the only case headed up by Athena and it's... not good. Well, it's not BAD either, but it doesn't really fit for where it's being told in the story. For whatever reason, this case tries to present the theme of the game as not let yourself be tied down by your family and pursue what you really want, but no one else in the game does that because they all end up leading the same lives as their family members. Uh... When other 4th cases would be a short stinger case to set up the finale, this is a strangely chill episode that is reminiscent of a case 1 instead. The stakes are not high and it feels deflating to play through after a stellar case 2 and 3.

Case 5: The loooong finale, with a lot of surprises in store. First of all, I'm really happy to be playing as Apollo in this one since we get to see him dismantle Phoenix in court after what AA5 did to Polly's character. Second, Dhurke is a fantastic character even though it's only him in spirit. In the ~8? hours it took me to finish this case, I really had an attachment to Dhurke's cause and his relationship with Apollo. Though I am a little sad that this case also kills off the Apollo's dad conspiracy theories floating around the net. As for the actual case, it's a doozy. Queen Ga'ran is truly intimidating as she can change the laws at a whim, though the actual explanation of the murder plot itself falls a bit flat near the end. There is one thing this case is especially guilty of though...

THE BILLIONS OF FLASHBACKS.

Dear Yamazaki, please hold off your ctrl+c and ctrl+v for a bit. Sheesh.

Unnecessarily large number of flashbacks aside, there's a couple other issues. I don't think it's completely clear if Nayna was a channeled persona that Amara happened to control completely, due to her old and wrinkled appearance and hunched posture, or if Amara is just THAT skilled at keeping herself disguised with makeup and acting. Ga'ran's aforementioned plan to sneak into the tomb and disguise herself as Dhurke is reaaaally reaching as well considering Inga's divination seance doesn't have him hear any rustling or anything of Ga'ran getting dressed. Or I guess apparently she managed to hide in the curtains before he arrived? Who knows. It felt like the longer the case went, the more holes there were, which is a shame because ultimately the discovery of Dhurke's body was incredibly emotional. I was pretty captivated at the point where Amara stood as the accused, but it goes off the rails after that. I mean, Ga'ran had to get her just desserts but eh. It's a little like the problem AAI had, where it feels like an absurdly powerful character can drag out a case forever, but at the very least this game had a better way to sidetrack than AAI did. Apprehending the criminal also had a lot more at stake here as well. In all I think the writing has improved since AAI and AA5 but could be better. In the end I thought that case 2 and 3 struck a really good chord with me as far as the midgame is concerned but the game gets a bit lost in the end. Then again I guess that's also a little par for the course, but I think AA2 remains the king of finishers.

With the ending here being the way it is, I do hope that this doesn't mean that Apollo is going to be written out of the story like Maya was for awhile... alas. At the very least it implies some of the loose ends from AA4 were finally tackled, albeit offscreen.

Edited by Samias

Samias, I don't suppose you could share your thoughts in a non-spoilery fashion? I'm debating whether or not I should get it. I've heard both good things and bad things about it, but people liked Dual Destinies while I really disliked it, and I can't imagine Yamazaki just magically improved his writing in three years when he has written three games prior to this one that were never more than mediocre.

Maybe:

Make the magic real. Espella could actually be the great witch Bezelle, but she isn't actually evil. The destruction of the town 8(?) years prior could be due to accidental magic from Espella. Darklaw could have actually murdered Espella's dad, and her motive would have been to frame Espella and get her punished for the death of someone she cared about? Tbh, I haven't thought it through much yet, plus I'd need to explain how Maya and Layton survived, but it could be a better explanation that what we got?

That could work, I guess.

I'm mostly against the "magic is real" part since it feels distinctly not Ace Attorney (also not Layton of course), plus the mentioned issue with Maya and Layton (though easiest way would have been to just not have scenes where they "die", since I doubt anyone believed that would actually happen anyways. They mostly just introduced some pointless drama). Honestly, the biggest issue with the game is probably how fantasy-like it all is, even though neither series really is like that. While I liked the idea, it also gave a feeling uncharasteristic to either series (and made room for a very ridiculous explanations).

Other than that, what you suggest here sounds better.

That could work, I guess.

I'm mostly against the "magic is real" part since it feels distinctly not Ace Attorney (also not Layton of course), plus the mentioned issue with Maya and Layton (though easiest way would have been to just not have scenes where they "die", since I doubt anyone believed that would actually happen anyways. They mostly just introduced some pointless drama). Honestly, the biggest issue with the game is probably how fantasy-like it all is, even though neither series really is like that. While I liked the idea, it also gave a feeling uncharasteristic to either series (and made room for a very ridiculous explanations).

Other than that, what you suggest here sounds better.

Maybe Layton actually dies in the game, or something? Maya survives, as Darklaw rigged the execution thing to let the actual witches survive so that she can recruit them for her revenge plot. Maya escapes being recruited, finds Phoenix and Luke and then she ends up chanelling Layton on and off for the rest of the game?

The other thing that they could do would be that they make the fantasy elements a lot more grounded, so that fits in with the dynamic of both series?

Samias, I don't suppose you could share your thoughts in a non-spoilery fashion? I'm debating whether or not I should get it. I've heard both good things and bad things about it, but people liked Dual Destinies while I really disliked it, and I can't imagine Yamazaki just magically improved his writing in three years when he has written three games prior to this one that were never more than mediocre.

Yamasaki has certainly improved but some of his problems are still there. There's a bit too many flashback sequences and the dialogue at times gets repetitive. Some of the plot gets out of hand at the end. But I honestly believe case 2 and 3 represent one of the best midgame scenarios in the series instead of simply being the filler before the real plot kicks in. The only real letdown is case 4, if only because it's short and only serves to give Athena and Simon some screentime without being overshadowed by Phoenix and Apollo. Case 5 has amazing build up but stumbles upon some issues in the very end, but I still enjoyed 90% of it.

I can safely say this was waaaay better than Dual Destinies and AAI1 (never finished AAI2 so I dunno about that one). Even the flaws of the finale are not as gigantic as DD's were. I suppose that isn't that hard since DD lost its marbles...

Edited by Samias

I can safely say this was waaaay better than Dual Destinies and AA1. Even the flaws of the finale are not as gigantic as DD's were. I suppose that isn't that hard since DD lost its marbles...

Well, if the game had been worse than Dual Destinies, I would've lost hope for the series. I've only heard good things of case 6-2 though, so that's inspiring.

Alright, I think I'm going to buy it. I've got some free time today and tomorrow, so why not? Maybe this thread or another Ace Attorney thread will still be active by the time I'm done with it.

Edited by Thane

Accidental post. Disregard, I meant to edit my old one ><

And I didn't mean AA6 was better than AA1, I meant to type AAI also. And yeah, in 6, case 2 was really good and case 3 won me over when I wasn't really feeling the DCA yet. This game as a complete package carries itself above AA5 easily and probably over AA4, maybe even AA2 with the exception of AA4-1 and AA2-4 being two extremely memorable cases.

Edited by Samias