Most Balanced Prepromotes in the Series

Jotari

Which is one of the reasons why he's outshining Sain and Kent.

Only slightly if he does, and during a point where a single unit isn't worth as much due to how strong your team will be. And even if he does, he's still usable all the same.

Good luck on HHM without without him then. And good luck with stuff like Ranked Runs without him for that matter. For there's really no reason why you shouldn't use him early on.

Now it's my turn to say "lol wut". Because Marcus's bases are nothing short of amazing for when they arrive. He can ORKO pretty much every mook and boss in the earlygame, and can still remain able to do so in the midgame. He has a bit kore trouble in the lategame, yes. But the enemies he does have actual trouble against are rare ones. And again, when he does start facing trouble, other units will be able to pick up the slack. Facing trouble against enemies when other units can help pick up the slack isn't really a point against him overall outshining Sain and Kent when he's awesome when he's the one picking up the slack when other units can't.

Except even if you do decide to go 2/3 of the way through the game while using Wil or Rebecca, Louise stilll wins due to the level gap that's present between her and either of those two. Archers don't gain much EXP due to lacking an enemy phase. Adding to that, Wil's and Rebecca's bases are poor. The logical conclusion gained from those two facts couldn't be more obvious.

Secret Books can't do anything about Dart's mediocre start, or the funds lost in using the Ocean Seal.

Okay, I'll just say that I wasn't looking at this from an optimized ranked run or anything like that. I'll concede the argument.

I can argue a lot of the other prepromo... But using Dart isn't actually worth it. You would pay it the Speedwings that Hawkeye needs with the Ocean Seal's Value... I doubt a character would be 50,000 worth promotion unless is something like a second Athos with more speed.

Lolwut?

Marcus vs. Kent vs. Sain at lvl 1 Paladin

• HP: 31 vs. 38.15 vs. 36.2 (65% vs. 85% vs. 80%)
  • Strength: 15 vs. 14.6 vs. 20.4 (30% vs. 40% vs. 60%)
  • Skill: 15 vs. 16.5 vs. 11.65 (50% vs. 50% vs. 35%)
  • Speed: 11 vs. 16.55 vs. 14.6 (25% vs. 45% vs. 40%)
  • Luck: 8 vs. 5.8 vs. 10.65 (30% vs. 20% vs. 35%)
  • Defense: 10 vs. 11.75 vs. 11.8 (15% vs. 25% vs. 20%)
  • Resistance: 8 vs. 6.75. vs. 4.8 (35% vs. 25% vs. 20%)
Obviously Marcus has a significant starting level advantage even with Lyn mode used, but statistically he will fall behind, especially since you shouldn't be using him early on. For growths he beats Kent in Luck, Sain in Skill, and both of them in Resistance. Everywhere else he's either tied or way behind, especially Speed and Strength.

That doesn't mean he can't clean house given how bad FE7 enemies are, but he's definitely not a better unit if we use bases and growths instead of convenience (where he does still win out).

Louise vs. Wil vs. Rebecca at lvl 4 Sniper

• HP: 28 vs. 38.75 vs. 34.2 (60% vs. 75% vs. 60%)
  • Strength: 12 vs. 17.5 vs. 15 (40% vs. 50% vs. 40%)
  • Skill: 14 vs. 17.5 vs 15.5 (40% vs. 50% vs. 50%)
  • Speed: 17 vs. 15.4 vs. 18.4 (40% vs. 40% vs. 60%)
  • Luck: 16 vs. 14.4 vs. 13.5 (30% vs. 40% vs. 50%)
  • Defense: 9 vs. 11.2 vs. 7.85 (20% vs. 20% vs. 15%)
  • Resistance: 12 vs. 8.25 vs. 8.7 (30% vs. 25% vs. 30%)
I really don't see how Louise outshines either of them statistically. She's about equal, perhaps a little behind. Again, she wins in convenience, but only if you decide to go 2/3 of the way through the game without using either Wil or Rebecca, at which point you don't need Louise anyway. Of course her instant A support with Pent is great.

Dart vs. Hawkeye at lvl 4 Berserker

• HP: 48.5 vs. 50 (70% vs. 50%)
  • Strength 22.75 vs. 18 (65% vs. 40%)
  • Skill: 12 vs. 14 (20% vs. 30%)
  • Speed: 18 vs. 11 (60% vs. 25%)
  • Luck: 8.25 vs. 13 (35% vs. 40%)
  • Defense: 11 vs. 14 (20% vs. 20%)
  • Resistance: 5.25 vs. 10 (15% vs. 35%)
Dart's skill deficiency can be handled with the Secret Books nobody else is using. Otherwise he only really loses out in Resistance, which with his mountain of HP shouldn't matter very much.

Youre comparing stats conveniently though. The reality is that fielding a unit as bad as wil or rebecca and feeding them exp is detrimental to the team. Louise doesnt need investment. In the case of sain and kent vs marcus, you forget that marcus will remain better than or equal to both for a long time even with lhm factored in. Theyre not gonna be 20/1 coming out of lhm. Theyll probably be 10-13/1 and thats concentrating on one of them.

The bolded is kind of a widely-spread claim that has no basis in reality, while the italicized is the one who's doing the "outshining" in the provided examples.

From what I understand, it also takes forever to raise a weapon rank from E to S as well in FE6. In some instances, like Deke, I imagine that it can be done. But in other instances, eh... In all honesty, I'm probably one of the few people who's glad that Yodel's Light Tome rank is as high as it is, considering that there's no Light Mages, Monks, or Maidens in FE6.

Marcus, better than Sain? You're kidding, right?

Marcus, better than Sain? You're kidding, right?

Like Carmine Sword said, nope. He can 2HKO any generic enemy during the 1st 1/2 of the game, his base Spd lets that ability to 2HKO be an ability to ORKO against a good percentage of those enemies, and he's practically invincible against those enemies too. He also can use every weapon in the game short of tomes, bows, and Prfs. And he's also mounted, and doesn't need a promotion item. I'll grant you that he can slow down, but by the time he'll do so, other units will be able to pick up the slack, and a single unit won't be worth as much.

Also, this.

Marcus vs Sain is actually kinda funny since once Sain arrives with LHM, Marcus usefulness drops from "doing everything" into "doing everything Sain can't do" and things that Sain "can't" do is something small, but pretty useful like having stupidly high res and having a more accurate Javelin

Edited by Just call me AL

I think Say'ri from Awakening is a pretty good example, if you didn't do much grinding until you get her, since promotion only starts around the time you get her and she's strong enough to take on some enemies, thus not placing her in the 'useless prepromote' shelf. Libra and Anna may count, too.

I think Miledy and/or Perceval from Binding Blade fit the mold as well, as does Minerva in Shadow Dragon.

Miledy? But she isn't a pre-promote, so she doesn't really count.

Anyway, for balanced prepromote, I would say...Oifey.

I know, it's hard to talk about the balance of this game, but Oifey is very useful on the early game, where the children still need to become OP, and when they do become poweful, he is still usable.

I may be forgetting some details tough.

i would argue that marcus vs sain is actually pretty close if and only if you allow sain to be marcus 2.0 by promoting early in lyn mode. and even then i'd give the edge to marcus because fe7 enemies are jokes and sain's minor stat leads mean approximately jack

if you're not promoting sain in lyn mode than marcus absolutely destroys him

E:

I also agree that Oifey is probably one of the more well done early prepromotes; he's either your second or third best combat unit basically immediately (depending on how much swag seliph and lakche are holding out of the cradle). From there, aside from the stupid holy weapon users (see: base shanan vs endgame enemies) oifaye remains above average until like chapter 10 or endgame, at which point he's still solid

Edited by CT075

Miledy? But she isn't a pre-promote, so she doesn't really count.

Anyway, for balanced prepromote, I would say...Oifey.

I know, it's hard to talk about the balance of this game, but Oifey is very useful on the early game, where the children still need to become OP, and when they do become poweful, he is still usable.

I may be forgetting some details tough.

Oh, then I remembered it wrong. I thought Miledy joined you promoted. Sorry about my slip-up.