How the hell is Pent beating Ced in this poll?

Katie

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/114533-fire-emblem-fates-conquest/74373766#23

(note that you're supposed to assume optimal fathers for FE4 kids, which means we're assuming Lewyn!Ced here)

I can't think of a single thing Pent has over Lewyn!Ced. Pent is good, but he has worse bases, growths(for the most part), AND availability than Lewyn!Ced, not to mention Lewyn!Ced will usually come with Forseti, with which he can snap the game's difficulty into itty bitty pieces.

Pretty much what Jedi said. Way more people have played FE7 than FE4. And another thing is that Pent being really good stands out way more in FE7 than Ced in FE4 where you have about seven or eight characters who can all break the game in two.

Pretty much what Jedi said. Way more people have played FE7 than FE4. And another thing is that Pent being really good stands out way more in FE7 than Ced in FE4 where you have about seven or eight characters who can all break the game in two.

Not as much considering Erk can emulate Pent, and you have people like Marcus etc, but I guess thats more drafters/ltc'ers noticing that in FE7 now @the former statement of mine.

Edited by Jedi

Not as much considering Erk can emulate Pent, and you have people like Marcus etc, but I guess thats more drafters/ltc'ers noticing that in FE7 now @the former statement of mine.

Erk can emulate Pent, but he isn't Pent. Pent will have better defense, and a C rank in staves. Erk wishes he had physic by the time Pent joined. Ced is one of those powerful units that snaps the game in two, but it's in a game with a ton of broken characters. Pent just walks up in a chapter and is absurd. I can see how people feel that Pent is better.

To better understand that, let's look at someone like Morgan from Awakening. A very powerful unit indeed, but (s)he stands out way less when you have a ton of uber characters running around that can slaughter pretty much everything that they look at.

Edited by Augestein

Erk can emulate Pent, but he isn't Pent. Pent will have better defense, and a C rank in staves. Erk wishes he had physic by the time Pent joined. Ced is one of those powerful units that snaps the game in two, but it's in a game with a ton of broken characters. Pent just walks up in a chapter and is absurd. I can see how people feel that Pent is better.

To better understand that, let's look at someone like Morgan from Awakening. A very powerful unit indeed, but (s)he stands out way less when you have a ton of uber characters running around that can slaughter pretty much everything that they look at.

You can easily have C staves with Erk if not higher by that point with Torch abuse.

Its really not that difficult to build stave rank in FE7.

Edited by Jedi

You can easily have C staves with Erk if not higher by that point with Torch abuse.

Yeah but Pent can already use all the staves in the game by the time he joins.

But really only Physic matters

i could be torch grinding priscilla instead.

Well, he did say useful. Isn't Sety, liek, not-mounted...in a game where you really wish to be mounted, otherwise, yeah. For the record, Pent's actually really good. Good combat right off the bat, solid duralibity,A -rank in staves (aka, use any staff ever). Erk's only probably only slightly better, if only for avaibality factor.

this

True, but you have to actually go out of your way to get that to happen. Most people I know don't buy torches in bulk to grind staff ranks off of them. The fact that you have to puts it into perspective of how ridiculous Pent is. Oh, he's A rank? Yeah, I forgot he was... C rank pretty much IS the rank you really care about, but the point still stands.

ced is in a game full of overpowered units and bad design choices

pent is a shining light in a sea of mediocrity

This. When you get Pent, you start wondering who you should drop. Ced, I remember thinking he was good, but he's still some dude that walks. I guess you could give him the Leg Ring, but in the end, he still walks.

True that is also a possibility haha.

True, but you have to actually go out of your way to get that to happen. Most people I know don't buy torches in bulk to grind staff ranks off of them. The fact that you have to puts it into perspective of how ridiculous Pent is. Oh, he's A rank? Yeah, I forgot he was... C rank pretty much IS the rank you really care about, but the point still stands.

Which is why I said drafters/ltc'ers specifically. Availability is everything in that context along with saving turns and such, although I don't play much in that field anymore.

But then I realized this is fftf and i'm trying to make actual points :P:

Edited by Jedi

I think it mainly comes from the fact that Ced is only good if he can use Forseti, while Pent will always be great in any playthrough.

This... is false.

It is difficult for Sety to be a bad unit, and this is not one of the factors involved. His only real shortcoming isn't even his own fault, but can be circumvented(i.e. Leg Ring).

Edited by Soledai

yeah it's not that ced is bad, since hawk is good and ced is better than hawk, but bigger numbers =/= usefulness, and the question is about usefulness

This... is false.

It is difficult for Sety to be a bad unit, and this is not one of the factors involved. His only real shortcoming isn't even his own fault, but can be circumvented(i.e. Leg Ring).

How is the fact he doesn't have a horse not really his fault?

I would imagine he would have been able to obtain one if he tried.

I don't know FE7 enough to say how well Erk compares to Pent normally, but one major factor for me is that I tend to have bad luck with Erk's mag growth. I don't know if it's actually a legit complaint, but I feel like I used to see a lot of people complain that Erk was susceptible to mag screwage. Within the world of Erk v Pent, maybe perceptions are a little skewed.

This... is false.

im p sure hawk if better than sety offensively if sety does not have a mage father than can pass down weapons. also leg ring goes to the dancer