FE10 Tierlist 2017

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I'm super sad about a lot of these Brom rankings, especially with most everyone agreeing he's workable and usable for Part 3.

Yeah - even if Gatrie outclasses him, I'd still field Brom over some of the other units that the Mercenaries get.

Yeah - even if Gatrie outclasses him, I'd still field Brom over some of the other units that the Mercenaries get.

Oh yeah, totally. And I mean, it's obvious I have bias for Brom, but even without that I think it's understated just how useful he is in Part 2, and how well he can work in Part 3 (if you're me, then Part 4, but that's ooooonly me, heh).

People like to drop Brom for Gatrie, that's all. Gatrie is strangely really fast for his class AND he can hit AND take hits. And I'm someone that likes Brom as a character too. He's not a favorite or anything, but I like how much he loves his family and stuff. :) It's also nice to see characters who aren't designed to be super attractive and stuff, and Brom is just an average looking heavy dude.

Edited by Anacybele

Just because people like to drop him for Gatrie doesn't mean Brom deserves terrible ratings like 3 and 4, though. That's honestly silly. As a unit, whether he's dropped or not, he's WAY more serviceable than a low rating like that, especially when you consider some TRULY bad units, like Meg. And Lucia. And Vika.

Yeah yeah, I totally get why someone would go 5-7, but, like...4? 3? 2.5? That's just silly, I think. Those are the ratings reserved for the worst of the worst.

EDIT: He also has a great 80% growth rate on health, annnnnd his luck is quite high. He has more good stats than just defense.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Luck isn't really a stat he really needs, combined with his high defense. He doesn't need to dodge except again magic users.

Swordmasters with their lower defense need extra evasion more.

@ Anacybele

I don't think you got the point of the existence of herons.

They're dancers who can give your allies an extra turn.

Sure, all of them will be onerounded except for transformed Reyson, but they're still a welcome addition, if you keep them safe.

Technically they still can fight with spectre cards.

But he does still need to dodge against mages, so it's still a good stat. I'll never claim Brom is the best unit in the game no matter how much bias I have for him, but I stand by my statement that he's underrated.

As for herons, I actually kind of agree with Ana. I give Reyson and Rafiel high marks, but only because of being able to revitalize however many units at once, Canto, etc. But JUST because they're the "dancer" characters...that doesn't mean I'm gonna give them a high rating.

... But why do you want to place him in the attack range of mages with his low resistance?

Having Rafiel in 1-E and revitalizing four units in the endgame is justified enough for me to give them a high score.

Also Leanne is the only one I dropped the score a bit just because she never can revitalize four units.

(Rafiel: 8.5; Reyson: 8; Leanne: 7)

Edited by Eleanor Hume

But he does still need to dodge against mages, so it's still a good stat. I'll never claim Brom is the best unit in the game no matter how much bias I have for him, but I stand by my statement that he's underrated.

As for herons, I actually kind of agree with Ana. I give Reyson and Rafiel high marks, but only because of being able to revitalize however many units at once, Canto, etc. But JUST because they're the "dancer" characters...that doesn't mean I'm gonna give them a high rating.

I think a 1 is insane for ANY refresher unit. No matter how fragile they are, they are easier to field than an untrained combat unit. They always slot in and double the effectiveness of your favourite units. Like even the worst of them like Tethys is still a really good unit, and she only refreshes 1 unit with literally nothing else to her name. A unit who lets your army penetrate almost twice as deep into enemy ground is worth the trouble to keep safe, especially in this game where a strong enemy phase is just so important.

Also poor Brom is so bad in every growth that isn't HP and Defense which makes it difficult for him to reach the threshold to fix bad stats with BEXP. He has to share availability with Gatrie, who has better bases and growths, and Haar, who is... Haar. Combined with being an Axe Marshall, which is pretty much a worse version of Dragonlord in every way except res (seriously, Dragonlord (M) shares max HP, has more strength, has more skill, has more speed, has more defense, and can fly), Brom doesn't really shine in this game. But he is definitely a wall among walls in part 2, it's just hard to find the room to field him going forward because of class disadvantages.

Meh... as for part 3 maps you can easily avoid them for most part.

Only 3-8 features some mages who move automatically.

As for the other maps most of them are stationary or you can ignore them (the three sages south in 3-2).

There are like three range magic users you have to care about (bolting in 3-2, meteor in 3-5 and purge in 3-10) who are all stationary as well.

In part 4 if you bring Brom to Elincia's party (I normally do) he only has to care about the mages in 4-2 (who normally got eaten by Tibarn).

As for the endgame... well... resistance is quite nice to have... if you can't lowturn the two final maps.

In general you can easily avoid mages since their movement is screwed in Tellius.

I will once again point out that Brom's luck is high, 70%...which is good. And his other growths are not THAT bad, it's being seriously overstated how "bad" some of these growths are. Even with a 40% growth in strength and skill, he still dishes out good damage (because he will gain strength unless you're seriously unlucky, and it's usually always enough) and makes good use of assigned skills. Add that to his great defense and high health points, and good luck with reliable dodging...he's much better than so many are making him out to be. The only real hit against him is speed, and Gatrie. And again, I will NEVER claim him to be the best unit in the game. Haar, Jill, Ike, etc....oh yeah, there's many better units, but he is not THAT bad, and he CAN be a really good unit. Unlike other units like Lucia, who are just pure crap.

And honestly, with all of those points you've made about being able to avoid mages, that kind of just works in Brom's favor...it's really just a bonus that he wouldn't have to worry about mages.

EDIT: I mean, as it stands now, he's on pace to be ranked lower than LAURA. And that's just...insane.

Edited by Fire Emblem Fan

Tbf his high luck doesn't give him a high evasion automatically. It only compensates his low skill and speed growth.

I never said that Brom is a bad unit (despite his growths aren't fitting to his class), but he's in the unfortunate situation that he joins a group some units are more usable than him because of better bases and growthrates.

I will once again point out that Brom's luck is high, 70%...which is good. And his other growths are not THAT bad, it's being seriously overstated how "bad" some of these growths are.

It isn't that Brom's growths are bad, it's that they don't cap ram as a tier 2. With BEXP working the way it does, a unit who caps three stats within a few levels can use BEXP to suddenly get crazy good stats in something they are weak in. This is why Nephenee is considered good but Marcia is treated lukewarm. This is part of why Rolf has such a hard time catching up to Shinon's damage despite a crazy strength growth. This is why Mia is absolutely nuts for capping stats. This is why Boyd can get in a rut with his speed without transfers. This is how Nolan focuses his weird fighter growths into greatness. This is how Jill can become a god like Haar and overcome weak bases.

I mean, there isn't enough BEXP for everyone but Brom has a rough time as a tier 2 unit and doesn't get good until tier 3. Even Gatrie, a unit with godly bases and growths, has it rough as a Marshall when it comes to endgame consideration, and Lance Marshalls get better stat caps.

Brom is competing with more than just Gatrie. He's competing with Haar, Ike, Titania, Nephenee, Boyd, Mia...everyone on the team. The big problem with him is not that he's bad, on his own he's alright, but alright just isn't enough on this team. No matter what role you're looking for, there are at least a few units on the team better for it than Brom, and since his class is bad, he's not even a good idea for the long term.

I gave him a 6 myself so of course I don't think he's awful, but I can understand why someone might go as low as 3 for him.

Leanne- I give her an 8 she's never useless but she's outclassed by her brothers for endgame.

Nealuchi- I give him a 6 because I find him helpful whenever he's around. Since Lucia can't do everything by herself I find his flight helpful. Past Part 2 he does go downhill because of his lack of available chapters, but I always bring him to the desert map just to find treasures or carry people around.

Haar- He's really good, probably the best unit but even he has his flaws too come part 4.

Brom- He's a 5 to me, he's just ok but never good enough. I guess he does his job ok but compared to the other knights he's not that memorable. Even in Part 2 Mordecai, and Haar are better shields. Then he'll struggle forever with low move and low speed which makes him less appealing compared to the other growth units come part 3.

Nephenee- She's like a 6/6.5 and only because of she's lucky to get much available chapters. I find her quite underwhelming in part 2, especially without transfers, but overall a helpful unit with potential.

Edited by Sweet_Basil

Yeah yeah, I totally get why someone would go 5-7, but, like...4? 3? 2.5? That's just silly, I think. Those are the ratings reserved for the worst of the worst.

To be perfectly honest 4 is a far more reasonable score for Brom than a 9 is. And 4 certainly is not "reserved for the worst of the worst"! 4 means "slightly below average". Which considering there's a solid argument to bench Brom immediately after Part 2, doesn't seem unreasonable, for all that you'll note I scored him slightly higher myself.

(I also like Brom the character quite well! And hey we'll always have PoR where he was better than Gatrie though still not very good because knights sucked in that game in my opinion.)

I think a 1 is insane for ANY refresher unit. No matter how fragile they are, they are easier to field than an untrained combat unit. They always slot in and double the effectiveness of your favourite units. Like even the worst of them like Tethys is still a really good unit, and she only refreshes 1 unit with literally nothing else to her name. A unit who lets your army penetrate almost twice as deep into enemy ground is worth the trouble to keep safe, especially in this game where a strong enemy phase is just so important.

I think lowish scores for refreshers are more justified in games which have reinforcements which act on the turn they appear, like Binding Blade and Awakening. In those games you can get your bard/dancer ganked by units you didn't know they were there, and in both cases they're frail enough that OHKOs are possible at least on certain difficulties. That's a pretty notable weakness! I still wouldn't give them a 1, but I don't think scores that low would be crazy.

Radiant Dawn doesn't have this issue though, so yeah in this case I basically second all your thoughts.

Brom was clearly designed to be a role-player in Part 2 and no more than that, unfortunately. When he rejoins in 3-2, he's not fighting anyone for a spot which is good, but there aren't exactly a lot of enemies he can reach early and the terrain prevents him from easily traversing the latter half of the map. Then once unit deployment drops, he has to start competing with other characters to even earn a chance to be deployed, and most of the GMs are simply better than he is or have utility such as healing or stealing. Even if you do decide to use him, his class still holds him back, which can make it difficult for him to get EXP.

Oddly, many of the characters that join in Part 2 don't seem to balanced with the intention of making them permanent members of the team. Haar is the one exception, which makes me wonder if the developers realized how good he actually is. The rest of the characters who are decent later on (such as Elincia, Marcia or Nephenee) all have fairly rough starts once they rejoin.

And 4 certainly is not "reserved for the worst of the worst"! 4 means "slightly below average".

Based on the chart in the OP, 4 is not "slightly below average." Based on that chart, it puts him in the E ranks, below S, A, B, C, D, and all the + and - (S+, B-, C even, etc.), basically meaning "this is a bad unit, avoid." So...no, I don't think 4 is a reasonable score for Brom at all.

Based on the chart in the OP, 4 is not "slightly below average." Based on that chart, it puts him in the E ranks, below S, A, B, C, D, and all the + and - (S+, B-, C even, etc.), basically meaning "this is a bad unit, avoid." So...no, I don't think 4 is a reasonable score for Brom at all.

We ARE only about halfway through the characters and there's a lot of part 2 junk coming up, let alone some late joinees in part 3 and part 4. I can assure you there are much worse units than Brom on the horizon.