Games You Like That Everyone Else Hates

Rezzy

I'd love to see a reverse version of this thread.

As i've already posted the games that come close to being disliked that i love are skyward sword and shadow dragon, which are liked well enough

But oh boy there are games that i despise that people love...

Edited by Nobody

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see a reverse version of this thread.

As i've already posted the games that come close to being disliked that i love are skyward sword and shadow dragon, which are liked well enough

But oh boy there are games that i despise that people love...

It must already exist somewhere...

I don't know if this game is technically hated by EVERYONE, since I highly doubt many people have even heard of it, but a little game called 7th Dragon III Code: VFD comes to mind. As silly as the name may sound at first, it's a really fun game with very enjoyable gameplay and a (in my mind) excellently crafted and paced storyline. They did the whole player Avatar gig right.

More popular examples would possibly include Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World, which I really love, even more than the first one, but as far as I know the majority of Tales fans hate it, same goes for Tales of Xillia 2, which is my favourite and Tales of Zestiria, which came pretty close to beating Tales of Xillia 2 as my favourite Tales game, but Xillia 2 had the better story, in my opinion at least.

As I like quite a few low-key games and franchises, I am not really aware of what is liked and what is not.

I don't know if this game is technically hated by EVERYONE, since I highly doubt many people have even heard of it, but a little game called 7th Dragon III Code: VFD comes to mind. As silly as the name may sound at first, it's a really fun game with very enjoyable gameplay and a (in my mind) excellently crafted and paced storyline. They did the whole player Avatar gig right.

I've been following the game since it was first announced and I recently picked it up this past December. I love it, it's really fun like you say. I also like the characters a lot too. Helps that I've been following 7th Dragon since the first game. Too bad we never got any of them until now.

I can only think of Starfox Adventures and Starfox Command for games I like that others hate.

A lot of people, at least over at Bulbagarden, likes to hate Pokémon XY, but I love it. It's the first game since GSC (and maybe DPPt) where I can definitely say that the region actually is a Pokeverse version of its real-life counterpart. They've even gone as far as making Team Flare reference some aspects of European far-right politics. Though the reference was more Nazi Germany, at least one French far-right activist had inspirations from that - Francois Coty - and he was a magnate in beauty products! (Don't believe me? See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/François_Coty )

In fact, in my headcanon, Lysandre is one of Francois's grandson.

Edited by henrymidfields

Fire Emblem Fates

Someone beat me to it. Uh, I tend to hold a lot of unpopular opinions so I can think of a few games I love that everyone seems to hate. Final Fantasy 4 the After Years, Final Fantasy 2, Lightning Returns, Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess and I hold a soft spot for Metroid Other M and Sonic 06 even if I can fully admit to them being bad games.

Edited by KimJongTsun

Someone beat me to it. Uh, I tend to hold a lot of unpopular opinions so I can think of a few games I love that everyone seems to hate. Final Fantasy 4 the After Years, Final Fantasy 2, Lightning Returns, Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass, Twilight Princess and I hold a soft spot for Metroid Other M and Sonic 06 even if I can fully admit to them being bad games.

Twilight Princess is hated? Did I miss something?

I'm probably the only person that likes every single Zelda game from LTTP onwards. Even SS was solid, even if it didn't live up to the hype machine. I assume BOTW will be similar in this regard.

I'd like SS more if it's two flaws weren't such constant annoyances throughout the game.

Ultimately, I enjoyed the game, in spite of it's rather major shortcomings. It could honestly just do with some options, really.

I was about to ask the same thing. I think it is still liked, but I think some people are starting to consider it overhyped and/or trying too hard. I still like it though.

Wow, I always thought it was immensely popular and well-loved. I haven't played it myself but I often read it was brilliant, even better than Ocarina of Time. And I loved Ocarina of Time, so it was a strong statement to me.

Edited by geraq

Twilight Princess is very much a more polished Ocarina of Time. It doesn't really try anything new or try to carve its own identity like MM or TWW, but at least in part because of that, it's very well designed.

...With some exceptions. Like the unmanipulateable Day/Night Cycle (the only one in 3D Zelda, due to Sun's Song, Double Time, Song of Passing, sleeping in random people's beds, and campfires being things for the rest)

I can say I like it more than OoT, but that's not saying much since I'm not very fond of OoT to begin with.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I'm probably the only person that likes every single Zelda game from LTTP onwards. Even SS was solid, even if it didn't live up to the hype machine. I assume BOTW will be similar in this regard.

I am the same I love all the whole series, though I do prefer 3D to 2D, I also respect the NES titles a lot even if I don't love them quite as much as the others. Edited by Locke087

I can say I like it more than OoT, but that's not saying much since I'm not very fond of OoT to begin with.

I've read reviews criticizing OoT for being too linear and reusing too much stuff from ALTTP, but it wasn't a problem to me as I played it first. OoT was the first Zelda I played and beat, and it was very satisfying.

The biggest problem people typically have with Twilight Princess is the linearity. It offers no chance or reason to go back to earlier points in the game and takes a really, really long time to open up. I don't think its generally considered a bad game but I'm quite sure people always considered it the weakest of the 3D games (at least until Skyward Sword was released).

Oh, speaking of Zelda, did I not mention Zelda II yet? I freaking love that game. It has such an insanely good combat and difficulty curve for such a simple set up. I even did a playthrough where I tried not to level up any stats at all. Fun times were had.

I've read reviews criticizing OoT for being too linear and reusing too much stuff from ALTTP, but it wasn't a problem to me as I played it first. OoT was the first Zelda I played and beat, and it was very satisfying.

People complaining about Ocarina of Time reusing stuff from A Link to the Past are just looking for something to dislike due to its popularity. It could have been a straight up remake of A Link to the Past and it's still be a phenomenal achievement for how good it is as the series first foray into 3D. And has for linearity, it's significantly less linear than any of the other 3D titles (and many of the 2D titles too) save for its brother Majora's Mask.

Edited by Jotari

And has for linearity, it's significantly less linear than any of the other 3D titles (and many of the 2D titles too) save for its brother Majora's Mask.

Wind Waker is 16 times more open as well, though I would argue that OoT is completely comparable to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword in terms of openness yes those two have longer openings but that doesn't make them thar more linear because after their openings tutorials they the same. Edited by Locke087

Wind Waker is 16 times more open as well, though I would argue that OoT is completely comparable to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword in terms of openness yes those two have longer openings but that doesn't make them thar more linear because after their openings tutorials they the same.

Wind Waker isn't open at all. The game may have a lot of space but every story event and every dungeon needs to be done in order, unlike in OoT were you have far more freedom.

Ocarina of Time is in theory not much more linear then A Link to the Past. Both games pretty much function the same: There are two sets of dungeons (Light World/Dark World and Child/Adult respectively). The dungeons can be done in any order but you need to complete the first set before you can progress to the second one.

But practically OoT restricts you quite a bit more because you can't leave the Kokiri Forest before beating the Deku Tree. And for the Adult Link dungeons, the Shadow Temple requires you to complete the Forest, Fire and Water Temple first and the Spirit Temple requires you to beat the Forest Temple first. (And I suppose the Bottom of the Well also requires you to beat the Forest Temple first but that Dungeon is entirely optional anyway.) Still, it's far more freedom then any of the other 3D games ever gave you.

Edited by BrightBow

From ATTP onward, every Zelda game has had a linear (intended) progression of dungeons. I didn't even know you could skip The Bottom of the Well. It's more likely an oversight than an intentional design... Wait, so people did the Shadow Temple without the Eye of Truth? That must take guts.

For me, the "openness" of Zelda games is the amount of optional content and sidequests. In this area, the best game would probably be MM, and the worst would be SS.

From ATTP onward, every Zelda game has had a linear (intended) progression of dungeons. I didn't even know you could skip The Bottom of the Well. It's more likely an oversight than an intentional design... Wait, so people did the Shadow Temple without the Eye of Truth? That must take guts.

What really impress me is how can some people can cross the desert without the ghost guide that you can only see with the Lens of Truth.

Wind Waker is 16 times more open as well, though I would argue that OoT is completely comparable to Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword in terms of openness yes those two have longer openings but that doesn't make them thar more linear because after their openings tutorials they the same.

Linear and open aren't opposites of each other. The Wind Waker still has a surprisingly rigid structure in how you explore the game. All the dungeons have to be done in the correct order and almost all the side quests in the game are located to one island. The Wind Waker does have a big world but that doesn't actually make in any less linear as a game.

In my defense i didn't know OoT could be beaten out of order without glitches until now... though it sounds like a masssive hassle to do so it still seems effectively as Linear is any other 3D Zelda.

Edited by Locke087

In my defense i didn't know OoT could be beaten out of order without glitches until now... though it sounds like a masssive hassle to do so it still seems effectively as Linear is any other 3D Zelda.

I didn't know about it either, because the intended order is strongly suggested in-game. I can only imagine entering dungeons to get their items and then leaving them to complete other dungeons, which indeed sounds like a massive hassle. How else could you cross Gerudo's brigde for example without glitches? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

None of the items acquired in the first three adult dungeons are required for the other two. In fact given you need to go to Kakariko Village anyway, the Fire Temple would be the most convenient dungeon to complete first if you're casually speed running the game.

I too enjoyed the original Bubsy a fair deal. Not the best game, but a perfectly respectable platformer. I haven't seen much hate for it personally?

Bubsy's something of a meme with Arcade Pit, and SA's streaming community as a whole. It looks really bad but I'm awful at platformers so probably not the best judge.

Also I ended up making the reverse thread a couple people mentioned wanting.