Games You Like That Everyone Else Hates

Rezzy

I go with Castlevania II: Simon's Quest. It was the first of the three NES Castlevania titles I could beat, through a sheer amount of patience and a guide for the two WTF parts. I still enjoy it and play it from time to time.

There are other unpopular games I play, but I would say they are too unknown to be hated.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes. The lack of shields was not fun, and it should have just been a non-canon spin-off (because that's basically what it was until they said it was a main Zelda game and that the Link the player controls is the Link from A Link Between Worlds), but it was a fun game. A lot of the costumes were interesting and the totem feature was fun. I did dislike that it was almost impossible to beat the three shadow links when playing solo, but that's more of a nitpick. The totem feature was really neat.

I would have liked to see another Four Swords game, but I understand that the totem would not have worked for four Links.

Seconding the Drakengard series and the Digimon games. The former series is flawed but engaging because of all the shit Yoko Taro pulls and the latter series is nostalgic and fun, plus I like the weird designs. I'd also argue that the Digimon World DS games are even well-made RPGs, if not outstanding.

Edited by Knight Falchion

Resident Evil 6. Most people don't like the focus on action, but I don't mind it.

Aside from Chris and Piers' campaign, which I find poorly designed and ridiculously out of place even in the more action-oriented style of the later REs, RE6 is a pretty okay game overall.

Let's see...Mind Zero got a lot of flak for being a rip-off of Persona 4, but I found it to be a solid if kinda generic JRPG with some pretty cool summon designs and an interesting battle system. Honestly I don't even think it was that similar to Persona 4.

Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes. The lack of shields was not fun, and it should have just been a non-canon spin-off (because that's basically what it was until they said it was a main Zelda game and that the Link the player controls is the Link from A Link Between Worlds), but it was a fun game. A lot of the costumes were interesting and the totem feature was fun. I did dislike that it was almost impossible to beat the three shadow links when playing solo, but that's more of a nitpick. The totem feature was really neat.

I would have liked to see another Four Swords game, but I understand that the totem would not have worked for four Links.

I played pretty much the entire game solo due to terrible internet connection and I honestly found the trio of Aeralfos more challenging than the Dark Links.

So another game that I enjoyed that few people like is Lunar Genesis. Also known as Lunar Dragon Song. A DS prequel that looked like it might be a revival of the Lunar series but it kind of crashed and burned for understandable reasons (like you couldn't even target which enemy you wanted to attack in battle. What's up with that?). Nevertheless I found the story charming, the world interesting and the soundtrack had some really appropriate tunes.

Edited by Jotari

Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars

It's actually a pretty fun RPG/Dungeon Crawler and I kinda enjoyed the interactions between characters, despite the main story being really stupid. I just press Start to skip the classmating cutscenes.

I liked TFH as well and personally have no problems with it being a canon title, mainly because it doesn't affect anything really. The game could go anywhere and nothing would change.

I do think they should have made the Link of choice OoT/MM Link still looking for Navi, but eh, I have my own headcanons on what ALBW Link was doing there. And why he looks the way he does. ...But that's off topic.

Isn't that the game where it cost HP to run on the world map?

Well the world map is a pick and choose which sort of area you want to go (and has some sweet music) to but yeah, pressing the run button when you're walking around in an area does take up HP. I don't claim it's a great game by any measure. It has a lot of flat out bizarre design choices. Having to choose between gaining exp or items from battles is another one.

Edited by Jotari

Has anyone else played Bubsy or have an opinion one way or the other?

Another one I thought of is Spot the 7-Up video game for the NES. It's been forever since I played it, but I remember having fun with it back in the day, even if it was a shameless cash-in game.

Tales of Zestiria.
It had its flaws, but I wasn't nearly as bad as some Tales fans claim it is.

Burn the witch! Just kidding

Diablo III. Even when it first released, I had a blast with it, and still do. Obviously the game got a better rep once the expansion hit and some patches were launched to fix its glaring issues. Just got the PS4 version once I learned they stopped patching the PS3, and am having fun exploring all the new stuff. It's like an all new game.

RWBY Grimm Eclipse is a lot of fun too. Definitely doesn't have a lot of content, and the complaint with team RWBY not getting touch ups after team JNPRs addition is completely justified, it's still worth the money to me and fun to just good off with from time to time.

Edit: I also enjoyed Conception 2. Its classmating stuff was definitely a little odd, but I always skipped those scenes. I actually enjoyed its gameplay. Last 2 bosses were surprisingly difficult, and the difficulty as a whole really ramps up at that point. It was pretty fun for what it was. The dating sim stuff was a little cringy sometimes, but I have seen a lot worst in that regard.

Edited by Tolvir

Has anyone else played Bubsy or have an opinion one way or the other?

Another one I thought of is Spot the 7-Up video game for the NES. It's been forever since I played it, but I remember having fun with it back in the day, even if it was a shameless cash-in game.

Burn the witch! Just kidding

Yeah, it's okay. It wasn't my favorite game, but I certainly saw it as decent enough. Now Bubsy on the playstation? That game is a pile of garbage and I don't see how ANYONE could like that game. I was more of a fan of Sparkster or Dynamite Headdy, but the game is far from bad.

I remember playing the Genesis version, but I thought that game was pretty good. I don't even like soda. And spot goes to Hollywood was actually really fun.

Oh yeah, I have another one: Final Fantasy XIII.

I personally thought the development of the characters was good; the paradigm system combined with the ATB gauge was fun once one gets the hang of it; the eidolon battles were an interesting concept; the character and eidolon designs pretty solid; the voice acting was good; I thought the soundtrack had many good pieces, and the story was decent, if not average. I will concede that the linearity is very annoying, and "Hallway Simulator" is an apt description for it.

The problem came when it became a trilogy.

It's not my favorite FF in the series, but it definitely isn't the worst.

Edited by saisymbolic

Conception II Children of the seven stars is the one game I like that I have never seen anyone even talk about at all, let alone play. I found it to be hilarious in some parts and the game play is typical Altus. I think the main reason people hate on it is because the first one was a Japanese only release.

Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars

It's actually a pretty fun RPG/Dungeon Crawler and I kinda enjoyed the interactions between characters, despite the main story being really stupid. I just press Start to skip the classmating cutscenes.

Edit: I also enjoyed Conception 2. Its classmating stuff was definitely a little odd, but I always skipped those scenes. I actually enjoyed its gameplay. Last 2 bosses were surprisingly difficult, and the difficulty as a whole really ramps up at that point. It was pretty fun for what it was. The dating sim stuff was a little cringy sometimes, but I have seen a lot worst in that regard.

I'll fourth this, Conception II is pretty fun, if a bit on the easy side. It was also surprisingly self-aware and funny at times, at least when the dating sim parts weren't being cringe-y. I am still bitter that Alec, who was pretty much the best character and certainly my favorite, wasn't playable in some capacity.

I personally thought the development of the characters was good; the paradigm system combined with the ATB gauge was fun once one gets the hang of it; the eidolon battles were an interesting concept; the character and eidolon designs pretty solid; the voice acting was good; I thought the soundtrack had many good piece, and the story was decent, if not average. I will concede that the linearity is very annoying, and "Hallway Simulator" is an apt description for it.

I'd say burn the witch, but FF2 exists. So I can't say that seriously.

Also, did the game get better after the airship? I'd been borrowing FF13, and that's as far as I got. (Much as I did think the game has quite a few issues (e.g. the upgrade system was stuck with a similar linearity, story was eh at best and characters ranged from good to Hope.), I have heard it got better beyond that point)

(also, it did give us this track during regular fights, and I like my violins and death in RPGs: link)

Also, did the game get better after the airship? I'd been borrowing FF13, and that's as far as I got. (Much as I did think the game has quite a few issues (e.g. the upgrade system was stuck with a similar linearity, story was eh at best and characters ranged from good to Hope.), I have heard it got better beyond that point)

(also, it did give us this track during regular fights, and I like my violins and death in RPGs: link)

If Final Fantasy II is hated on then I feel comfortable declaring I found that game pretty enjoyable. The story was immensely minimalistic but I do appreciate the fact that it actually tried to have an ongoing plot unlike the first and third game. And while the combat system was hilariously unbalanced, as far as ideas go it was pretty interesting and I've love to see some developer give it a second shot (for those that don't know, it didn't have any levels. Stats were improved purely through what you actually do in battle. So the more you attack the stronger your strength will be and the more you use magic the better at that you get). Overall the main series Final Fantasy I enjoyed the least was Final Fantasy V and I'm not particularly sure why. The combat system was certainly varied but it felt like there was surprisingly little you could actually do with it for how many options it gave you and the story while not being completely uninspired, just sort of fell flat for me.

Zelda: Skyward Sword might count... There are people that love it, but everywhere I go, for every person that likes it, it feels like three more dislike it for petty reasons such as Fi or the linearity (I get that Fi is hand-holdy and that was a flaw, but it didn't make the game terrible, same with the linearity). I see complaints about the controls too, which is valid especially if you're a lefty. While I love them, they did need a bit of polishing. But the game wasn't like totally unplayable or anything, sheesh...

If someone dislikes the game because they didn't like the dungeons or story or something, that's more reasonable. Not "I hate Fi, this game sucks!" :/

Final fantasy 4: The after years would be my main one. Everyone seems to hate the game, but I had a lot of fun with it.

I'm not blind to the games flaws. The main story is not very good and the game likes referencing the original a bit too much. Still I thought they showed how the old cast turned out very well and the giant roster and the new band attacks made things fun from the gameplay side.

I personally thought the development of the characters was good; the paradigm system combined with the ATB gauge was fun once one gets the hang of it; the eidolon battles were an interesting concept; the character and eidolon designs pretty solid; the voice acting was good; I thought the soundtrack had many good piece, and the story was decent, if not average. I will concede that the linearity is very annoying, and "Hallway Simulator" is an apt description for it.

I second this. I had fun playing the game, and I liked the main cast, except for Hope. But he got better. Some parts did drag on a bit. But the linearity didn't bother me to bad. I like 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10 and what I have played of 15 better than it. But I like it better than 1 and 8 (haven't played the rest).....

Speaking of Final Fantasy..... Final Fantasy 10-2 is fun and enjoyable... honestly, I don't think that is too unpopular of an opinion. It's story is whatever. And it is definitely not my favorite, but I like it better than some of the other games in the series.

dang i came into this thread specifically to say final fantasy xiii. probably has the best fucking battle system of the whole series. i don't even remember much about the story/characters because it's been so long, but i remember clocking up to a 100 hours on the game itself.

Well, even after the airship, the game is still pretty linear. But, the environments become a little less claustrophobic. Once you get the whole crew together, I'd say the game gets a bit more enjoyable, yeah. The remaining characters get to complete their character arcs, and there is slightly more flexibility when it comes to party formation.

Speaking of Final Fantasy..... Final Fantasy 10-2 is fun and enjoyable... honestly, I don't think that is too unpopular of an opinion. It's story is whatever. And it is definitely not my favorite, but I like it better than some of the other games in the series.

I thought X-2 had one of the better battle systems, to be honest. The battles were fast-paced, and they didn't drag on. I liked how they incorporated the job system back into the game, and I appreciated that the transformation scenes could be turned off. I tend to pretend the story takes place in an alternate universe, and that Tidus coming back is not canonical, but, overall, the game is pretty fun.

The problem with FF2 is the insane difficulty and weird mechanics, but the story is pretty cool. I'd play a full remake of the game.

Fairly certain one exists on the GBA, or was that just a simple port?

No. It's definitely a remake. Along with FF1 as well. FF1 is more drastically altered, but FF2 is fixed. And to be fair, every version from the original has had thing changed from it.The original version of FF2 is a complete mess.

As for the person looking for a game that alters your stats based on what you do in battle, the series you are looking for is the Saga series. Pretty much all of them outside of Saga 3 do that mechanic. Although most of them are too audacious for their own good and not very good. The DS remakes of Saga 2 and 3 are absolutely wonderful but they are Japanese only... They have translations though, I'd recommend checking THOSE out. If those are too obscure, try "The Last Remnant." It also has Saga origins as well with a very strange but slightly enjoyable battle system.

Edited by Augestein