Games You Like That Everyone Else Hates

Rezzy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually liked Dragon Age 2. I agree with the criticism that the environments are repetitive and Act 3 is a bit rushed, but I like the characters and quests quite a lot. It's my least favorite in the DA series regardless, but I still found it very enjoyable.

Quite a few Pokémon fans think XD and Colosseum are bad, but I love the s**** out of them… Also, I know quite a few people don't love the Unova series of Pokémon games, but I quite enjoyed Black and White 2…

There is an Azure Dreams spinoff spiritual successor called Tao’s Adventure… Got very poor ratings and sold very poorly… However, I love it, and bought it because of the monster breeding and magic mechanics…

I am one of those people who will shamelessly admit that I love Awakening over Fates… Also enjoyed Sacred Stones, even though a lot of other people don't… On that note, I'm a big fan of Gaiden, even though it's the one Fire Emblem game the majority of the fan base has never heard of…

Love games like Yoshi's Story and Hey You Pikachu, even though the majority of the fan did not…

Don't mind Super Paper Mario or Sticker Star, even though they are inferior to the older games…

Majority of the fan base hated Valkyrie Profile Two, yet I much preferred it over the first one…

Consider Super Smash Brothers 3DS to be the best of the series, even though a lot of related the downgrades it took to even create the game…

I mean I dislike the mechanic but the game's fine otherwise as far as I'm concerned. v('~')v

Well people are pretty whiny and they let the entire mechanic ruin the game for them. xD I guess thems the breaks.

Quite a few Pokémon fans think XD and Colosseum are bad, but I love the s**** out of them… Also, I know quite a few people don't love the Unova series of Pokémon games, but I quite enjoyed Black and White 2…

There is an Azure Dreams spinoff spiritual successor called Tao’s Adventure… Got very poor ratings and sold very poorly… However, I love it, and bought it because of the monster breeding and magic mechanics…

I am one of those people who will shamelessly admit that I love Awakening over Fates… Also enjoyed Sacred Stones, even though a lot of other people don't… On that note, I'm a big fan of Gaiden, even though it's the one Fire Emblem game the majority of the fan base has never heard of…

Love games like Yoshi's Story and Hey You Pikachu, even though the majority of the fan did not…

Don't mind Super Paper Mario or Sticker Star, even though they are inferior to the older games…

Majority of the fan base hated Valkyrie Profile Two, yet I much preferred it over the first one…

Consider Super Smash Brothers 3DS to be the best of the series, even though a lot of related the downgrades it took to even create the game…

People don't like Coliseum? News to me. What's not to like? It's like a story driven Pokemon game in full 3D!

I've only played Valkyrie Profile 2 and I liked it quite a lot. Cool and interesting battle mechanics, a story that was definitely not predictable, hilariously awful lip syncing. Was genuinely surprised when I went online afterwards and discovered most fans hated the game.

People don't like Coliseum? News to me. What's not to like? It's like a story driven Pokemon game in full 3D!

Crap! I forgot to mention those when I mentioned my favorites everyone hates. I love those games but I've heard so many people complain about how awful they are and I've heard only one legitimate criticism. I've heard people talk about how bad the stories are... this was before gen 5 so is this really a critique you can only throw at the Gamecube games? I've heard people complain that there's no variety because all the battles are double battles... There wasn't a whole lot of variety in battle types before this since there's like five double battles in the game that introduced the mechanic, of course they probably wanted a game to emphasize this thing they just introduced. And the last and only complaint I can admit to is the game reuses the Pokemon stadium models for generation 1 and 2 Pokemon and it clashes with the gen 3 Pokemon. I don't really think it clashes but I can see how it would be jarring for others so I'll grant that one.

Also on Twilight Princess the game was certainly popular when it first came out but these days I can't tell you how many people dismiss it as being a shameless OoT rip off because the first three dungeons where homages to OoT (I mean Twilight Princess is a much better game than OoT anyway but that's neither here nor there) and people complain about the spinner saying it's a garbage item. Which really my only problem with the spinner is you've got one dungeon that makes really good use of it and then it's never important again and that sucks. Oh well, at least the spinner is just as fun in Hyrule Warriors.

Edited by KimJongTsun

The 3-D Gex games-

The constant one liners do wear your patience thin, and the games are ropey, but no-one is asking them to compete with stuff like Banjo Kazooie.

I really like some of the levels too. The looney tunes inspired levels in Enter the Gecko, the detective level, in G3, and the beanstalk level in G3, stand out as the best for me. The vehicle/minigames weren't' TOO bad either.

I think it's unfair to condemn games for being derivative, and honestly it still manages to be fun over half of the time despite it's faults.

Gauntlent Legends and Gauntlent Dark Legacy

I first played this in an actual arcade, but the home ports are enjoyable too. They're as repetetive as you get, but they still manage to be a lot of fun, especially in co-op (well not on stages like swamp and egypt) where people get stuck due to being too far away from each other/ elevators).

Edited by Reality

Do people hate Megami Tensei and Final Fantasy II (the Famicom versions)?

I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with FF2 and MT is personally one of my favorite RPGs on the system.

Edited by Pixelman

Crap! I forgot to mention those when I mentioned my favorites everyone hates. I love those games but I've heard so many people complain about how awful they are and I've heard only one legitimate criticism. I've heard people talk about how bad the stories are... this was before gen 5 so is this really a critique you can only throw at the Gamecube games? I've heard people complain that there's no variety because all the battles are double battles... There wasn't a whole lot of variety in battle types before this since there's like five double battles in the game that introduced the mechanic, of course they probably wanted a game to emphasize this thing they just introduced. And the last and only complaint I can admit to is the game reuses the Pokemon stadium models for generation 1 and 2 Pokemon and it clashes with the gen 3 Pokemon. I don't really think it clashes but I can see how it would be jarring for others so I'll grant that one.

Personally I found Coliseum's plot a lot more engaging than Black/White (can't speak for the sequels).

Personally I found Coliseum's plot a lot more engaging than Black/White (can't speak for the sequels).

I really like Colosseum as well. The sequel is enjoyable and more polished, but the first game, I felt, had the stronger story.

You know, I really like Chrono Cross. While it certainly is no Chrono Trigger, I think if you just stop trying to see it as Chrono Trigger 2 it's a really fun game with an engaging battle system and a lot of weird, fun ideas. The art direction was pretty good too. My opinion on the story is that the writing is pretty strong all the way up to the part when Harle leaves your party. Then it suffers from an obvious case of stopped-mid-development syndrome, where a whole bunch of nonsense just flies out of the game's butt and you're left going, "...What?" and you have to rely on a trio of poorly implemented exposition dump characters to fill in the sudden sea of plotholes you've been tossed into. The game has its definite faults, but it still has that 90's Squaresoft charm to it that I can feel whenever I pop the discs into my old playstation.

Also, Plasma Sword on the Sega Dreamcast. The combat is shallow compared to, say, Guilty Gear, but the setting and characters were strong enough that I will always pine for a revival that will never happen.

You know, I really like Chrono Cross. While it certainly is no Chrono Trigger, I think if you just stop trying to see it as Chrono Trigger 2 it's a really fun game

Honestly, people need to remember this line of thinking way more often. So many good sequels just get dismissed for a change in overall direction.

Honestly, people need to remember this line of thinking way more often. So many good sequels just get dismissed for a change in overall direction.

I thought I'd like Chrono Cross due to assuming the hate it got was entirely based on the difference in direction but it has a lot of problems in its own by my measure. It still is liked a lot. To the extent that I felt comfortable mentioning it on the inverse of this thread.

Edited by Jotari

You know, I really like Chrono Cross. While it certainly is no Chrono Trigger, I think if you just stop trying to see it as Chrono Trigger 2 it's a really fun game with an engaging battle system and a lot of weird, fun ideas. The art direction was pretty good too. My opinion on the story is that the writing is pretty strong all the way up to the part when Harle leaves your party. Then it suffers from an obvious case of stopped-mid-development syndrome, where a whole bunch of nonsense just flies out of the game's butt and you're left going, "...What?" and you have to rely on a trio of poorly implemented exposition dump characters to fill in the sudden sea of plotholes you've been tossed into. The game has its definite faults, but it still has that 90's Squaresoft charm to it that I can feel whenever I pop the discs into my old playstation.

Yee. If I dislike a sequel, its usually cuz of the mechanics and how it treats the established world. Chrono Cross is excellent, but people did get salty about how it treated the Chrono Trigger cast. I was ok with it cuz im a sucker for tragedy, and it answered a very old question. (What fucking happened to Schala) The only problem i have is that i feel its a bit short, and the Guile/Magus debacle. I really wish they kept that original plot line. The amount of recruitable characters is really stupid too, but at least you can really customize your team. I freaking love that game.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Specifically...Lords of Shadow 1 and Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate. Now...I will concede that Lords of Shadow 2 is...a mess. I didn't like that game nearly as much. But the other two I found rather enjoyable, in spite of everyone else's issues with the games. I at least liked the story the first two presented, and the gameplay was rather enjoyable for me. Particularly the world, too. I liked the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Dark Souls II

Metroid: Other M

Metroid: Federation Force

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

And probably a few more I've forgotten...

I wish people wouldn't judge games based on what they aren't, but by the games' own merits instead. Also, many of the complainers point out one or two flaws in these games, and go on to say that the other 90% of the game is trash because of it.

Something I wish to see so, so, so much more of in this world are people who differentiate between what they like and what is actually good. Here's a few examples. I believe that my favorite game, KotOR, is surpassed by it's sequel, KotOR II. I prefer the characters in KotOR, but the characters in KotOR II have more depth and layers to them. Or how I think The Force Awakens is a good movie but a bad Star Wars movie. Or how Pan's Labyrinth is a great movie, but I didn't personally enjoy it because of it's gruesome scenes.

Passion is great, but not when it blinds you from critically analyzing, well, anything.

On 1/9/2017 at 6:19 PM, -Cynthia- said:

I actually liked Dragon Age 2. I agree with the criticism that the environments are repetitive and Act 3 is a bit rushed, but I like the characters and quests quite a lot. It's my least favorite in the DA series regardless, but I still found it very enjoyable.

Agreed.

Although I think it isn't really a good game, the characters are okay, the quests are good and it has the best story of all three Dragon Age games, imo.

14 hours ago, Slyfox said:

Dark Souls II

I wish people wouldn't judge games based on what they aren't, but by the games' own merits instead. Also, many of the complainers point out one or two flaws in these games, and go on to say that the other 90% of the game is trash because of it.

Something I wish to see so, so, so much more of in this world are people who differentiate between what they like and what is actually good. Here's a few examples. I believe that my favorite game, KotOR, is surpassed by it's sequel, KotOR II. I prefer the characters in KotOR, but the characters in KotOR II have more depth and layers to them

Passion is great, but not when it blinds you from critically analyzing, well, anything.

lots of good opinions in this post

Kotor 2 is honestly my favourite RPG of all time - well, when properly patched, anyway. Vampire: the Masquerade should rightfully have taken that throne away from it had it not been for the significant drop of quality in the 3rd quarter of the game and the complete absence of quality in the endgame.

15 hours ago, Slyfox said:

Also, many of the complainers point out one or two flaws in these games, and go on to say that the other 90% of the game is trash because of it.

At least in Sticker Star and Skyward Sword, some of the problems that are normally called out are things related to the core experience of the game.  

In Sticker Star, a lot of people dislike the battle system and the thing system.  There are other things that are called out often, but those two form the very center of Sticker Star's gameplay.  I think disliking the game as a whole if you dislike those is a perfectly reasonable opinion to form.  

Similarly, Skyward Sword's motion controls are a thing about it that comes under fire a lot.  Considering how central they are and just how much they are used, if one dislikes them, it can be pretty disruptive to the rest of the game since the motion control is so omnipresent in it.  

This isn't to say these two games aren't without other flaws, just that the scale of the problem in question should be considered as well.

I can't really speak for the other games on your list, though.

Sticker Star's main problem is that literally half it's gameplay is both optional and pointless. There's a perfectly good gameplay loop - use stickers to battle, win battles for coins, spend coins on stickers. The problem, aside from low difficulty, is that it has nothing to do with beating the game. The REAL goal in Sticker Star is to Go Right. So you have some mediocre exploration and platforming, with the occasional lock-and-key puzzle (and the key is often in a completely different chapter). Combine this with the sheer lack of personality compared to the first three Paper Mario games, and it's easy to see how so many PM fans including myself were disappointed. Sticker Star's not a terrible game, but it's deeply flawed and very difficult to recommend when TTYD curb stomps it.
Oh, and I love this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI2lDufHac4

Edited by Zera

For me it's mostly games in the Sonic series. Most of all would be Sonic Adventure DX on the GameCube. I can see why it might not have aged so well, but this is among my all time favourite games. I find the gameplay of most of the characters to be smooth and fun (even Big is bearable for completion sake), and although there are the occasional glitches, it's mostly the 360 and PS3 ports that are notorious in that regard. 

Another would be Sonic Heroes. I really liked the team based gameplay and level design, and while the controls could get slippery at times, I still managed quite fine. Many say this is where Sonic started going downhill, but I tend to disagree. Even Shadow the Hedgehog isn't as bad as '06, though people love to make that be the case.

Then there's Starfox Adventures, another favourite of mine hated by many. I can see why, considering how little of the Starfox series it actually borrows from. Funnily enough though is that it was the first game in the series I ever played, yet I prefer it over all the other games bar Assault (which is also polarizing). I am a big fan of the adventure/puzzle gameplay, which explains why I'm such a huge Zelda fan.

Ok, let's see here...( I have a big list here...)

• Pokemon Gen 4...I was quite surprised to learn as I got older that this game was the most divided in the series. While I see the issues some people may have...it never really bothered me. Like the battle speed(probably the one I hear about the most). I...never had an issue with it. Yeah, it was a bit slow, but it never irked me much(both as a kid and now). But that's just me.

• Megaman X7...this might have to do with the fact that this is TECHNICALLY my first Megaman X game( I played X1 on an emulator for about maybe 30 minutes then stopped). It's not as fast as the other games, maybe not as lively either, but I find it still fun.

• Apollo Justice: Ace Atternoy...minus a few moments(especially dealing with the dang Journalist in court and some parts of Case 3), I quite enjoyed Apollo Justice. It's fun, I like the characters, and I had as much with this game as I did the previous ones(and it gave me my favorite Ace Atternoy character...Apollo Justice...who I hear apparently isn't liked very much by some people...for...some reason...? :blink:)

• Mario Party 9 & 10...now while I do prefer way 1-8 handled things, I do like some of the things they were trying in these games! (Although...at this point, with all this experimenting they've done with the series, it makes me want them to go back to the basics honestly...)

• Codename S.T.E.A.M. ...I honestly think with the Majora's Mask 3D shenanigans around the time it was released didn't help this game alot(because I think people were expecting MM with rumors going around, but this game got announced instead, so people might have been salty on that. Then when MM 3D WAS announced, it overshadowed the game...this is all guesswork on my part, so take this with a grain of salt...)   

• Sonic Unleashed...I love this game...ALL OF IT! Yes, Day AND Night stages! Of course I played the Ps2/Wii version that cuts the werehog stages into pieces, unlike the PS3 and 360/HD version, which has them be marathons(not to mention REQUIRED medal collection in order to progress in the HD version)! I enjoy running in day as Normal Sonic and I like to explore everywhere for goodies as Werehog Sonic! I won't deny that "BLE BLE BLE BLEE BLEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" as the battle theme being constantly played whenever you fight something gets annoying and the long stages can be a bit of a drag, but I still enjoy playing as the werehog regardless!

• Suikoden 4...now this one is a bit obscure...this here is the black sheep of the Suikoden series, but I still enjoy it(and it also gets me an awesome unit in Suikoden Tactics with a save file of all 108 Stars of Destiny! :Rei:)

• Digimon(kinda as a whole)...personally, I like it more then Pokemon(still love Pokemon though). I've only played Digimon Dusk and Digimon World for the DS, but they've been a bit more better in the challenge department then Pokemon(that and one hit won't kill your digimon easily, even if you hit there weakness). But I will admit they share one thing in common...the DS games are PRICEY(they're the price of a new 3DS game :blink:)! Also, I find the Tv shows more entertaining(Digimon Frontier and Digimon Data Squad are my main references)! Each kinda carrying a different tone, but for the most part, it's much more serious and the character growth is much more prominent. 

• DBZ Extreme Butoden...OK, this might not fully count since I've only played the demo, but it seems pretty fun. I have seen reviews, but it honestly seems fun enough to buy(haven't yet cause I already got other games before it on my "Games To Get" list!

...I'm sure I'm missing something, but I'll leave it with this for now...

On 1/9/2017 at 11:36 PM, Jotari said:

Also, it's kinda dark when you think about it...these Pokemon heart's are shut and are made into living weapons! :blink:

(Also, XD is the only game where they ACTUALLY use a Pokemon to knock you, the player, out!)

15 hours ago, Busterman64 said:

Also, it's kinda dark when you think about it...these Pokemon heart's are shut and are made into living weapons! :blink:

(Also, XD is the only game where they ACTUALLY use a Pokemon to knock you, the player, out!)

Yeah, you open the game by blowing the crap out of a villain's headquarters Then go on to make up your team of Pokemon by stealing them from your enemies. That's super metal right there.